Chapter One

Moments

 

Credit: Jungkrystal

She honks her car horn impatiently, repeatedly while looking out of the window, not giving any care that she disturbed the resident. If he isn’t coming out in seconds now, she will have to make sure today will be the day he will forever remembers.

She hates waiting. He knew that.

Krystal woke up early than usual today. It slipped her mind that today was a special day. She was having breakfast when her housekeeper brought the topic up and reminded her. It was too late to do anything extravagant and because its a Sunday, the best restaurants in Meridiem are definitely fully packed with families. When the clock hits 10am, she was in a panic mode. She sent a text to him, a white lie about having to settle some issues on their wedding preparation.

“We’re not getting married, there’s nothing to settle,” came his reply shortly after her message was sent. If only he knew how stupid she felt that moment.

She persisted. A white lie about how his mother wanted to know the results of whatever they are doing. He relented. Even though, everything she said doesn’t make sense. The sudden wedding announcement on that fateful night made everything tensed up between them.

She wasn’t happy about it. He was furious.

Today, she decided to stay clear off that topic and gives him the best day out of his complicated lives… but judging from the way he replied, they will just end up arguing even more.

‘You have to give in to him today no matter how ridiculous he is, remember. Only today.’ She reminded herself. They, along with Sehun and Jiyong always made a point to celebrate each other birthdays on the exact day itself, not a day before or a day after. But somehow this stopped when he ventures into his club business and all he did all year was to party, get drunk, sleep with girls, and repeat the cycle all over again the year after. Over times, they began to slowly drift apart. Sehun and her became closer while he spent times mostly, if not with his ladies, its Jiyong.

She don’t really know what makes her motivated all over again to give him this surprise but she hopes that no one gets hurt by the end of today. She, however was about to lose her patience when she spots him walking out of his villa grumpily, advancing towards her car.

Finally. She huffs and puffs her fringe off her face messily. One hour. That was how long she waited for him. He is paying for all these when today is over.

“You’re driving,” she steps out of the car, tossing the keys to him. Without waiting for his response, she walks away, opening the other door and settles comfortably in the passenger seat. “To the cake shop, please..” she instructed as soon as he steps in the driver seat. “and put on your seat belt.”

They reached the cake shop less than an hour. It was nothing like a shop catered specially to only wedding cake. Because, this is just a normal cake shop that she had asked him to stop in the middle of nowhere, for. While he enters the shop in confusion, Krystal heads straight to the counter for her purchase that she had ordered online hours before she left the house. A strawberry cake. A slice just for him, packed nicely in an exquisite small box. No tacky candles. She ain’t singing any birthday song for him.

When they reached Tiffany’s for brunch, Seunghyun points out smartly. “There weren’t any issues pertaining to the wedding in the first place, are there? You asked me out because either you could have really fallen in love with me or you’re in your one of your tricks again?”

“Or,” Krystal says, feeling more stupid than ever. “Its simply because its your birthday.”

Then the day went ahead without a glitch. Brunch was served and simple conversations were kept throughout. Nobody talks about the wedding, nobody was killed but that was because they remain silent when there was nothing to say.

At the same time, she didn’t realize she had just becomes someone enemy. Their actions were being watched and scrutinized tightly by the waitress whose feelings for Seunghyun was obvious. It was unknown to Krystal that he frequents here.

It was about mid-noon when she noticed Seunghyun getting a little restless. He wasn’t a morning person and she don’t think he ever will be. It was probably time to let him go after being forced out by her wilful self. She puts the car key on the table, before placing the cake she gotten earlier and a black box tied with a black lace around it, securing the lavish item. The brand name shines clearly on the exterior.

“Strawberry cake, checked,” she chirps brightly, “Brunch, checked. Rolex watch, checked! Exactly according to your birthday wishlist that you made years ago.” That year when he made these wishes jokingly, nobody expected it to be celebrated in such tense atmosphere. It was as if they are forced to grow up. “Now, my car keys for you to drive yourself home.”

Krystal grins awkwardly, continuing. “I know that things are crazy now between both families and it probably suffocates you to be in the car with me, so good news! You’ll be driving yourself home!” The forced cheerful sentence she was trying to make out was awkward. Everything is awkward that she decides to leave before things get worse.

“Happy Birthday, Choi Seunghyun.” She says softly, before turning her back.