kloyola -- { edlyns; oneshot }

✖ ✖ ✖ Walking Puppet Shop -- { open; oneshot & reviews } ✖ ✖ ✖

 

 

Our 24th Symphony

 

Puppet 02 -- { oneshot by edlyns }
for kloyola

 

 

 

 

Kim Yuna doesn’t want to be late to university actually. But what can she do? The dumb alarm and the comfortable bed refrained her from getting up on time. It’s not an excuse, I tell you.

. . . .

Okay maybe it is an excuse. Maybe she just doesn’t want to go to the university and want to just lay around her bed all day. Yuna actually doesn’t like it when she gets up late, let alone entering the class when the lesson started already. She feels like she’s being judged—both by her teacher and her classmates. She stopped in front of the class’ door and sighed. She collected her confidence, knocked the door and immediately opening it.

“I’m sorry I’m la—“ Yuna stopped whatever she wants to say because there is an unknown guy standing in front of the class with her teacher. The guy looks very unfamiliar and looks like a foreigner. He have a pair of big eyes and thick eyebrows. His hair is dark brown, and he have a sharp nose. He looks like someone who would appear out of a manhwa.

Yuna blinked in surprise seeing this unknown guy, and the class laughed at her.

“Welcome, Miss Kim. You may take a seat,” the teacher said. Yuna nodded as she walked to her usual seat. When she put down all her stuffs and took a seat, her gaze went back to the unknown guy. The teacher cleared his throat to get the student’s attention, and when it works, he smiled and turned to the guy.

“Everyone, this is the exchange student from Thailand, Nichkhun. Nichkhun, go ahead and introduce yourself,” the teacher said. ‘Oh, his name is Nichkhun.’ Yuna thought. Nichkhun nodded and turned to the other students.

“Hello everyone, my name is Nichkhun Horvejkul. You can call me Nichkhun. I am majoring in Piano. Nice to meet you!” Nichkhun said smiling. The class gasped at his cute smile, specifically the girls. They murmured at how handsome he was and how his Korean was so fluent, while the boys just rolled their eyes like it was just something usual.

“Nichkhun-ssi, you may take a seat next to the Miss Kim who was late earlier,” the teacher said sarcastically as he pointed at Yuna’s seat. Yuna smiled apologetically at the teacher like she always do. “Now everyone, we will start the performing arts lecture!” the teacher exclaimed.

Nichkhun walked towards Yuna and took a seat next to her. Yuna smiled at him and offered him her hand.
“Hello! My name is Yuna. Kim Yuna!” Yuna beamed. Nichkhun smiled stiffly and shook her hand.
“Nice to meet you Yuna-ssi,” Nichkhun said and turned his attention back to the teacher. Yuna raised her eyebrow in confusion at Nichkhun. She wanted to talk to him so bad, because she likes making new friends.

“Nichkhun-ssi, how old are you?” Yuna asked. Nichkhun who was very focused on the lesson answered without turning his attention to her.
“24,” he said.
“You are a year older than me then.. You are majoring in piano? What song that you last played?” Yuna asked again. Well, this is what kind of person Kim Yuna was. A cheerful, optimistic girl that just can’t stay still. Yet people can’t seem to hate her, except maybe this person next to her.

“Miss Kim? Care to share what important things that you were talking about that you are ignoring my lecture?” the teacher said loudly as he glared at Yuna. Yuna got startled and then straightened her seating position. The teacher shook his head and continued teaching.

As the lesson resumed, Yuna can’t help but glance at Nichkhun some times. Nichkhun is very serious in listening to the teacher. Maybe he’s afraid he might not understand something if he took his attention somewhere else. Yuna pouted and ended up listening to the teacher too.

 


 

After the class ended, Nichkhun immediately stood up and flew to God knows where, even though the students can’t wait to talk to him and ask him some questions. The girls all sighed in disappointment seeing him disappeared from the class. Excluding Yuna. Heck, she only wanted to go to the music room now to practice her violin playing.

Yuna walked to her favorite practice room, the 12th class. She was about to open the door when she heard a piano playing from inside. The player was playing a song she doesn’t know, but what she knows is that it is very beautiful.

Yuna carefully peeked the door, and there she saw Nichkhun playing in the piano. He looks genuinely happy and enjoying what he was doing, and Yuna too feels happy just by seeing him play. She closed her eyes and enjoyed the sound of the piano.

Suddenly Nichkhun stopped playing and Yuna lifted up her head to see what happened. She gasped realizing that Nichkhun is staring at her. Nichkhun stood up, ready to leave the room and Yuna immediately blocked the way.

“Excuse me,” Nichkhun said raising one brow. Yuna shook her head and then looked at him in the eye.
“Sorry for interrupting, but please continue!” Yuna begged with sparkling eyes. Nichkhun hesitated but he can’t seem to defeat that puppy-like eyes. He went back to the piano and sighed. Nichkhun then pressed the keys and continued the song that he played before.  Yuna beamed and stood beside him watching him play.

When Nichkhun finished playing, Yuna clapped her hands like a mad seal with mouth hanging open.

“That’s awesome!” Yuna said cheerfully. “What song was that?”

Nichkhun smiled softly and it surprised Yuna. “It’s a song I composed.”
“Woah, that’s cool! What is the title?” Yuna asked, totally curious. Sure she may be a violinist but she haven’t tried to compose any song.

Nichkhun shrugged. “No title… yet.”

Yuna nodded continuously signing she understood. Then she stood up and opened her violin case and adjusted it, and she started playing it.

Yuna played the exact same song as what Nichkhun had played earlier, and Nichkhun watched her in amazement after he recognized the notes that she was playing. When Yuna finished she looked at Nichkhun.
“How is it? Any notes wrong?” Yuna grinned. Nichkhun shook his head and clapped.

Yuna felt more proud than she was when she won a competition, for some reason. Yuna had a perfect pitch, so it was easy for her to play the song. But she just felt.. different.

 


 

Over the time, Yuna and Nichkhun got closer. They went to lunch together, or just simply practice together even though not all of Yuna’s lessons are the same as Nichkhun’s. Peoples have started to ship them together because they are well, always together. And today is finally the Performing Arts lesson, one of the lessons where Yuna and Nichkhun got to be in the same class.

“Silence, class! I have a good news for you,” the Professor said clapping his hands. The crowd died immediately, because they know how frightening this one teacher can be. “So, I’m pretty sure you guys are wondering what the good news might be.”

The crowd stayed silent as they waited for the Professor to continue.
“The showcase of our university is coming and a representative of Juilliard Academy from the US will come!” the Professor roared rather exaggeratingly, but it works. The crowd cheered immediately as they know how awesome that chance might be. “And so you guys will be working in a group. Duo, trio, anything! But solo is not allowed.”

Everyone sighed but they immediately chatted with each other to find their partners or groupmates. The professor casually sat on his chair, as his job was done for the day.

“You want to… work with me?” Nichkhun asked with his awkward Korean to Yuna. The latter turned to him with twinkling eyes, as if she have waited for this.
“Of course! Why wouldn’t I?” Yuna chuckled, putting her thumbs up. Nichkhun chuckled too and they high-fived with each other.

 


 

So the next days are filled with them practicing like there’s no tomorrow. They decided to use Nichkhun’s self composed  song for the showcase. They harmonize together and every time peoples walked by the practice room and heard them play, they would think that it was the best music ever played in the university. One day before the showcase…

“It’s a nice song, Nichkhun-ssi! We should think of a title,” Yuna said tapping her chin trying to look serious. Nichkhun laughed softly seeing her.
“Let’s just call it Let It Rain for now,” Nichkhun said and Yuna nodded agreeing.

“Excuse me?” someone said opening the door. Both Yuna and Nichkhun turned their heads to the door immediately. It was Wooyoung and Jieun. “Can we practice here too? We kind of need some place to practice.” Wooyoung said grinning.

Yuna glanced at Nichkhun and he nodded. So she smiled and let them in.
“Of course, go ahead,” Yuna said. Wooyoung and Jieun beamed and they went to the other corner so they won’t disturb the first two.

“Yuna-ssi, I’m going to.. you know,” Nichkhun said. Yuna widened her eyes. She laughed and then nodded. Nichkhun embarrassingly excused himself.
“Wooyoung-ah, I think I have to go too,” Jieun said trying to hold her business. Wooyoung nodded and ‘shooed’ her to go to the bathroom.

So it was left with the two now.

 

NICHKHUN’s POV

That was embarrassing I guess. I mean, how do we ask for a permission to go to a bathroom with a girl, anyway?!  It was easy talking about it to a teacher. But yeah, to a girl…

I sighed as I opened the door to the practice room. Right when I opened it, I saw the sight of Wooyoung and Yuna chatting to each other happily. Though the distance of them are not close, I just felt boiling. I don’t know why.

I entered the room and I felt them turned their sight on me. I sat on the piano chair and glanced to Yuna, cuing for us to start practicing again. Yuna nodded and we just started practicing. But why is she laughing constantly when she glanced at Wooyoung? I stopped and I grabbed her arm, looking at her face seriously.

“Hey, only look at me,” I said. Suddenly Yuna blushed and I widened my eyes. That was unexpected. She nodded and I let go of her arm. But I felt something wrong with her temperature. “Are you having a cold?”

Yuna turned to me again and grinned.
“No, I’m as healthy as ever,” Yuna insisted energetically. I doubt it, but if she can still hold it then there’s no point for me to ask her to rest.

 


 

The showcase day is here. This is the only reason I came to Korea. The chance of going to Juilliard is higher here. Yuna is kind of late. We are performing in thirty minutes, shouldn’t she be here now? Right after, I saw her coming looking like her usual self, cheerful and bubbly. She smiled as she half-run to my direction.

“Sorry I’m late!” she said catching her breath. She looked up and I finally noticed her red face. Could it be? I put my hand on her forehead and I widened my eyes.

“Yah! You are burning! What are you doing here? Take a rest!” I said to her. It may lessen my chance on going to Juilliard but I really, really don’t want to see her collapse. It must be hurting for her and it will hurt me too. Wait, what?

“No no no no no, Nichkhun-ssi, please? Just this once? I don’t want all of our hard works go to waste. It would be too irresponsible,” Yuna begged as she put her hands together signing that she really wants to do this. I was about to argue but then I realized her burning eyes. I sighed and nodded.

“At least take a medicine before we go on stage,” I said and she nodded, grinning at me. I watched her as she walked to the backstage to prepare everything in this matter of short time. I wonder if she could really do it with that high fever.

 


 

The crowd clapped for a long time after we finished performing. I glanced at Yuna and she also glanced at me with her signature smile. We went back to the backstage and high-fived.

“Nice performance, Nichkhun-ssi,” Yuna said. I laughed and patted her back, when she suddenly collapsed.

 

YUNA’s POV

I opened my eyes heavily. My eyes adjusted to the blinding light as the scene started to get clearer. Where am I?

Oh, the infirmary.

I sat up and looked around, trying to see if anyone waited for me.

“Oh thank God you are awake!” a familiar voice cried from my right. I turned my head quickly and there he is. I smiled warmly and quietly breathed a sigh of relief.

“How’s the showcase?” I asked. Nichkhun dropped his face and my heart beat fast. We fail? Then his face suddenly turned bright, grinning mischievously.

“We are going to Juilliard!” he said jumping in joy. Well not really jumping but.. “With Wooyoung and Jieun but whatever we are going!”

I squealed and clapped my hands in excitement. Then Nichkhun suddenly hugged me as I froze.  I could really feel he’s smiling from ear to ear even if I can’t see his face.

“I have a title for the song,” he whispered into my ear and I shivered. Why oh why do he have to flirt with me, here?
“W-what?” I stuttered. He chuckled and pulled away.
“24th Symphony,” he grinned, clearly proud of his genius mind. I, however, doesn’t understand it.
“Reason being?” I asked, frowning my brows.

“Well, both of our birthdays are on the twenty-fourth so..” Nichkhun said shrugging. I laughed finally understanding the meaning. But then he suddenly inched closer towards me and I froze again. He doesn’t stop even if the distance between our face was barely fifteen centimeters. I could really feel his breath right now, and I closed my eyes.

His lips then touched mine. I felt electricity throughout my whole body and butterflies in my stomach flapping its’ wings cheerfully. Oh I could totally imagine that. The kiss didn’t last that long, much to my dismay. He pulled away and smiled satisfyingly. I punched his arm slightly in embarrassment and pulled the blanket to cover my face.

“You do know that you will get affected by my fever, don’t you?” I said. He chuckled and nodded.

“Kim Yuna, I love you,” Nichkhun said suddenly. Oh my God why is he being like this. I felt my cheeks burning now. This is a fever, this is a fever.

“Nichkhun-s—“ I stopped when he suddenly went closer again to me. I backed my head away slowly.
“Call me oppa,” Nichkhun said grinning. What have made the quiet unapproachable Nichkhun into… this?

“Nichkhun… oppa,” I said shivering over the word and he chuckled. “I love you too.”

 

the end