Love and Hate

What You Really Are

 

We were now heading to the party hall. Fate was somehow teasing me as I was positioned in the line next to Tiffany and away from my classmates. I dug my hands deep in my pocket to prevent her from grabbing them.

 

Like she would really want to hold your hands…

 

Stupid brain, it just can’t stop from thinking too much.

 

Lights fluctuated as soon as we were half way the first floor of the building. Tiffany hugged me tight and screamed. The hired people begun to do their job, and I swear, my eardrums will burst anytime because of the high-pitched scream of Jessica who is at my back.

 

The line had managed to progress up to the second floor. Tiffany was still clinging on me like a mad tarsier.

 

I like this feeling…

 

I shook my head realizing what I have just thought. This is wrong.

 

“Ppani, let’s stop for a moment”

She really looked scared which made me decide to think of a plan on how to keep her calm.

 

I raised the right part of my cape and instructed Tiffany something.

“Come near”

 

She did what she was told. I hugged her by the shoulder using my right arm and hid her under my cape.

 

I frowned and asked, “Aren’t you wearing heels?”

 

“I changed into slippers”

She flashed her eye-smile while bending a bit to be covered more by my cape.

 

Tiffany and I were now on the last part of the line with several people sometimes bumping against us. Tighter and tighter became the hug of Tiffany on my waist, her breath tickling my face.

 

I wish we could be like this forever…

 

We made it to the party hall. Tiffany cupped my cheeks and squeezed them lightly.

 

“Thanks Tae!”  

 

I nod as a reply. My steps were heavy as I spun around with my back facing towards her.

 

-

A short introduction was made before the party proceeded. I was seated around my classmates, Nichkhun was sitting beside me.

 

 How could I hate you, Nichkhun? You’re still my friend.

He greeted me with a smile which I replied with a smile too.

 

Easily I found Tiffany from the crowd. She was sitting beside Yuri and Jessica who were all lovey-dovey. Her face was gloomy and lonely just like her eyes but still her beauty shone on the poorly-illuminated room. She sighed; I can’t help but to feel pity of her loneliness. Maybe right now she’s looking for Nichkhun. I diverted my gaze.

 

“Khun, can you do me a favor? Dance with Tiffany for me”

I pleaded out of a sudden.

 

“Whoa girl, you sound desperate! But sorry, I have to turn down your request.”  

He then continued chatting with Wooyoung. These are the times when Nichkhun gets irritated by me for acting like a third wheel. I sighed, defeated.

 

“You know what? I don’t like Tiffany at all. Well, she’s beautiful and nice but I don’t really like her.”

Nichkhun told me as soon as Wooyoung left and added, “So even though how hard you try we won’t be a couple.”

 

Such a handsome guy to be a diva

 

-

 

Hours passed by and the upbeat music played by the sound system was replaced by a slow music, signaling students that it’s time for sweet dances. That was the time when I stopped to dance and distance away from agitated people who were busy asking a partner. Boys started to invite other girls for a dance. And I was here, standing awkwardly in the middle of the crowd.

 

Dear digicam, how grateful that I brought you with me.

 

And yes… the digital camera that I used awhile ago became my excuse to prevent myself from standing awkwardly among the dancing crowd. I took pictures here and there, pictures of couple and couple-to-be dancing in sync of the sweet music. Instead of making my mood better it became worser as I saw Tiffany dancing with Wooyoung. Their faces were so close that I wished I was Wooyoung.

 

Oh jealousy, such a traitor that hurts me.

 

Second by second I feel the pain swallowing me like I was trapped in a chasm where there’s no escape.

 

“Hey”

Nichkhun suddenly popped out of nowhere and poked my shoulder. He then grabbed the camera and took a shot of Tiffany and Wooyoung. Nichkhun then pulled me to one of the seats.

 

“You’re standing there a little too long, Shorty.”

He smiled at me while looking at the pictures.

 

“Hmmm…you know, Tiffany looks so sad today. I wonder why?”

A sigh escaped from Nichkhun while he zoomed in once more the picture of Tiffany and Wooyoung.

 

“It’s because you haven’t dance with her, silly!”

I hit him lightly on the shoulder which made me earn a chuckle from him.

 

Nichkhun stood up from the seat and walked towards Tiffany.

 

At least she’s in my friend’s hands; she’s with someone I can trust to.

-

The song was done but the two were still chatting with each other. Nichkhun talked casually to her, but then I frowned as soon as my eyes looked at Tiffany. She was still sad and she moved her head side to side as if searching for something.

 

Another song was played, this time I was not alone. Sunny hugged me and started to move my body matching with the slow rhythm of the music. She held me tight, her chin leaning on my shoulder. Despite of the intimacy we have, I didn’t felt flustered. My heartbeat is still the same, in normal pace. I glanced at Tiffany again. A sharp pang was felt by my heart; she was leaning on Nichkhun’s shoulder and held tightly onto him.

 

Is it bad if I only want you for myself only?