Chapter 8

Avatar: Legend Of Luna

“Oh great!” Chen threw his arms up in exasperation, “They just called Kris a lord now! What’s next¸ King Kris or something?”

A few other figures started appearing behind the attacker as the mist of dust cleared away. Kai had his hand out protectively over the ground, fearing that the old library might get destroyed. The place was a significance for Busan. To have it destroyed or damaged would be like having the Eiffel Tower destroyed for Paris. Luna slowly took her place beside her brother, hands flickering with tiny flames in case she was forced to attack.

“They don’t know who the avatar is” Kyungsoo whispered, loud enough for his own side to hear. Tao furrowed his eyebrows, “What?”

“Look at the attacker,” they all simultaneously glanced at the said person as Kyungsoo spoke, “His eyes aren’t fixed on Luna, instead he’s like, scanning each of us cautiously.”

Luna stared up at the guy, who had eyes so small she wasn’t sure if it was open at first, “But he was pointing straight at me when he demanded for the avatar.”

“He probably saw you first and had his eyes on you,” Chen added. Taemin nudged him harshly, “This is not the time for any of your stupid jokes!”

“Are you people done talking?” The voice of the attacker interrupted them. He whipped out two swords, holding them menacingly as he stepped closer, “I know the Avatar is among you. We have tracked down the scent and it leads us straight to you. Either give him up, or die.”

“Can we get a third choice or something?” Chen piped out, “I don’t like what you just offered.”

One of the followers snarled at him, “Maybe you can have the privilege to be killed by Sunggyu!”

“Sunggyu who?”

The leader of the group whipped out another sword, tossing it to one of his followers “That would be me”

“Damn son how many swords you got there?” Chen scowled. Sunggyu wasted no time in answering his question as he sprinted forward with excellent speed, slicing the air where Chen was before the latter jumped back, electricity flickering at the tip of his fingers. Sunggyu’s other members followed suit, each running forward as Luna’s side tried to avoid their attacks.

Luna had flames erupting in her hands as she avoided punches from her opponent. Her opponent turned out to be a waterbender, in fluids from nearby plants which soon wilted, turning dark brown. He lunged forward like an agile monkey, trying to slice her while Luna tried to focus and not use any other element other than fire. If she accidentally used other elements, the secret would be out and they’d all turn their targets towards her. She had to keep in mind as well that her opponent must not see the arrow mark she had at the back of her nape. With a handful of dirt she scooped off the ground, she threw it into the opponent’s face and swept his legs from under him.

“Guys we need to leave now!” Taemin yelled, jumping over a log and ducked as a knife zoomed past.

“Oh yeah, sure!” Chen produced lightning and striked against Sunggyu’s swords, causing the latter to fly backwards, “When one side is dead probably!”

Luna rushed over to her brother’s side, who was fighting with two opponents and she tackled down one of them who was holding a dagger over him. Flicking her wrist, she flipped the dagger out of the dude’s hand and held it herself, backing away slowly from him, “We need a quick plan here!”

Kyungsoo whispered something to Kai and the latter nodded in agreement. Kyungsoo then went up a higher part of the ground and pulled his arms back, motioning some attacks. Kai on the other hand handled his opponents, but the guy’s having quite a hard time going up against two waterbenders.

“Brace yourselves!” Kyungsoo yelled and he punched the gound, causing it to rumble. The rumbling was so strong, the ground was practically shaking. Luna spotted the ground becoming higher a few metres away as the opposite side became lower before she realised Kyungoo was making some sort of slope. She begun to lose her balance and dropped to the ground, grasping hold of the grass. Some of the enemies were rolling over themselves down the slope, hitting into trees and trying to grab hold of anything that can resume their stance. Sunggyu stabbed his sword into the ground, gritting his teeth to hold on before a tumbling Tao came into view and skilfully delivered a kick at his face, causing him to fall down the slope as well.

“What are you doing?!” Taemin yelled as a screaming Chanyeol whizzed past, joining the others in falling down the slope. Kai ran down, trying his best not to lose his balance towards them and grabbed Taemin’s arm to hold him in place, “Changing sites. If we fight here the old library will get damaged, and we can’t afford that.”

“You guys could’ve told us earlier on instead of making drastic measures like this!”

“And at the same time inform the bad guys as well so they can use the old library against us while we’re at it,” Kai rolled his eyes, skidding to a halt to pull a fallen Taemin to his feet, “Yeah, why not.”

They both practically flew downwards to the others, while Luna was still having a hard time sticking herself to the ground as it was tilting till there was more gradient. She whipped her head back, unsure of what was happening and didn’t see any of her comrades anywhere. Had they fallen down as well?

“Luna!” Kyungsoo reached her side, grabbing hold of both her arms so she did not lose her grip, “Come on, let’s get the others and make a run for it.”

“Right,” with the help of Kyungsoo who skilfully maneuvered his way down, Luna kept her arms around him while wildly searching for her brother. They’ve reached a few kilometres further than their original site. Kyungsoo touched down gently, releasing Luna and rushing over to a bewildered Chen, who looked like he just got on a rollercoaster without any belt on. Luna looked around. Well, they certainly had left the location of the library, she could feel a cool breeze and spotted a sea just a few metres ahead, a towering cliff accompanying the sight at the side.

“Come on, let’s get out of here!” Kyungsoo grunted, hefting Chen against him. Luna spotted Chanyeol staggering towards them, nearly tripping over a bush and struggling to form a gun finger to point at Kyungsoo, “Remind me…. not to get on your bad side.”

“Is everyone here?” Luna ushered him as Taemin and Kai popped out from behind a tree, with the former glancing around for the enemies.

“I saw Sunggyu not far from here, he seemed to be in a bit of a daze but he’s coming around,” Kai informed them, “Heck, let’s bail before any of them sees us.”

Motioning Chen to step away from the towering cliff that was there, Kyungsoo punched it repeatedly and a hole appeared, dust and debris crumbling down from the sides. He nudged his head inside and Chen muttered something about having too much trips through holes in his life before briskly walking in, followed by the others. Chanyeol led the group and held his hand out, a fiery flame blazing and flickering to light their way. Kyungsoo followed behind him to direct the way and Kai being the last as he closed the hole made earlier.

“Where are we going?” Tao asked. Kyungsoo pushed a block of earth down the hole, making way, “Anywhere. Far from Busan.”

“Can I have a specific answer please?”

“Let’s put it this way. We get back to the cars, haul our belongings and get the heck out of Busan before-“

A blast of explosion went off from their right side as a man emerged from it and tackled Kyungsoo to the other side of the tunnel, creating another explosion. A huge opening was made as the man and Kyungsoo both fell into the sea below.

“Kyungsoo!!” Kai yelled. He dashed over the side and dive into the sea as well. Another explosion was made a few feet behind the group and as the dust cleared, Sunggyu appeared from behind the earthbender that made it. His outfits were a bit torn and tattered, a lock of his hair standing in an upright position. He pointed his sword at them, snarling, “You are not going anywhere.”

Some of his men also appeared from in front of them, and as they closed on, Luna realised their only escape path was to the sea.

“You guys up for a little swim?” she asked. Taemin glanced at her, “Swim? What- oh.”

“Luna, if you would.” Chanyeol’s hand flared up and lowering his voice just for them to hear, “But don’t make it so obvious okay?”

“Okay guys, let’s jump.” Luna whispered. Tao slowly inched towards the opening as Chen shot a dirty look at her, “You’re kidding.”

Gripping Taemin’s hand and his, Luna wasted no time in pulling them over the ledge with Tao following close behind. Chanyeol blasted a huge fire from both hands and they roared towards the enemies, who blocked it with blocks of dirt.

“We’re gonna die!” Chen screamed as they fall in the air. Not today, Luna thought. She closed her eyes and willed her waterbending powers to cushion the sea below them, working so subtly as so the enemies wouldn’t notice her waterbending. As they plunged into the cold water, it swirled like a whirlpool before moving upwards and enclosing them within. At least the deathly splash didn’t kill them, but they still needed to get to the surface.

Faint exhaustion greeted Luna as she felt the hands of Chen and Taemin slipping out of her. She hadn’t much practice in waterbending so that move really took some of her energy. She begin kicking her legs in the water before a hand slipped around her waist and hoisting her against the body. Tao swam upwards, holding Luna ever so tightly before breaking through the surface, both gasping for air.

Not far from them, Chen and Taemin also emerged out, their hair sticking onto their foreheads.

“Get to the shore!” Luna managed, swimming at the direction of the land as Chanyeol dived into the water from above. She hoped he didn’t injure himself or anything, but he’s a pretty good diver so he probably made it. Whatever it is, they have to hurry as there were waterbenders in the enemies’ batch.

Out of nowhere, a hand grabbed her ankle and pulled Luna underneath the water. She yelped, struggling to escape but found one of the said waterbenders holding onto it. The liquid made it hard for her to move around and she can’t risk revealing her avatar identity. The waterbender made his effort on trying to drown her, holding ever so tightly so she couldn’t emerge out the surface. It was useless to use her firebending as they were underwater, but she tries anyway, clasping her hands around the man’s wrist and they glowed red, heat empowering although there were no flames present. The heat made it unbearable as the man gasped, bubbles of air flowing out his mouth as he released his grip.  Luna then delivered a kick at his head before kicking upwards. She saw spots dancing before her eyes and figured out that she was too far deep in the water with a high possibility that she was running out of air.

Her consciousness slipped away and everything went dark.