Let’s go back in time.

Could you remember me?

My name is Analeigh Kwon, or as they would put in Korea, Kwon Analeigh.  I am seventeen years old—eighteen in Korea—and I am living in Los Angeles, California.  Living in a crowded place meant my mom home schooled me.  She felt as though she taught better than a public high school did anyway.  While she taught me all the subjects, she taught me my first language.  Korean.  Being in Korea for the first seventeen years of your life could make you forget everything you learned.  I’m half Korean, half American.  My mother is full Korean as my father is full American.  We used to live in Korea and I had been born in Seoul.  Every thing changed when he asked my mom to move to America with him.  For that, I thank him every day or I wouldn’t have met my best friend.

Let’s go back in time.  Nine years to be exact.

“Amber!”

The dark-haired female looked up from the middle school’s lunch table to see a smile on her best friend’s face.  “Hey Leigh.”  She laughed at the little rhyme, scooting over and patting the seat next to her.  “What’d you bring for lunch today?”

Pursing her lips, Analeigh dug into the lunchbox she carried with her at all times.  She guarded the thing like it was her life.  It had her name written in Korean plastered over the cover.  “Hmmm, let’s see.  I brought me a sandwich and an apple.  Oh and look at the juice my mommy bought.  She said it was the best kind at the store.”  The brunette held out the juice box to Amber who inspected it and shrugged.  “Do you really think it is?”

“Um, well yeah!  I do!”  Looking up to the brunette, the tomboy smiled.  “I’ll bring you something good in tomorrow.  My mom makes it at home all the time.  It’s from Taiwan.”  Analeigh’s eyes brightened.  She had forgotten her best friend was from Taiwan.  The two had first met as little toddlers who were into ballet.  They had both hit it off rather well and hung out every day with each other.  Analeigh remembered her first day in middle school which was her last.  Amber had been waiting for her, smiling and every thing.  Her best friend’s smile always made her happy on the inside.  “Okay!  I can’t wait to taste it!”

Leaving school that day, the young girls played tag, racing home and giggling the whole way there.  When they got to their houses—which were diagonally apart from each other—they said goodbye and left.

“Mommy!  Amber’s bringing me good food tomorrow!”

“No she isn’t.”

“What do you mean?  Of course she is!  She wouldn’t lie to me.”

“She isn’t because you are now home schooled.”

Analeigh looked at her mother in confusion and when she found out she wasn’t kidding, there was a slight sadness that filled in her stomach.

That didn’t mean it stopped the two females from being friends.  Two years later, they were still going strong.

“Amber, you wanna come throw some hoops with us?”

“Nah, I’ll pass.  I gotta meet up with Leigh.”

The boys groaned, but said goodbye to the tomboy.  They muttered to themselves why they didn’t ever get the chance to play with Amber.  The tomboy smiled to herself as she grabbed her skateboard.  Amber knew she couldn’t break a promise to her best friend.  She had promised that she would see her every day after school.

“C’mon!  One game!  It’ll only take a few minutes!”  The boys continued to bother her until she agreed to play.  “Only one game!”

That one game turned into three then to five.  Before she knew it, it was extremely late and the street lamps were turning on.  “Oh man!  I’m late!”  Throwing the basketball to a nearby wall, the dark-haired female said goodbye to the boys and skated off.

“Have I really been waiting this long?”  Analeigh mumbled to herself.  There were tears running down her eyes.  She had a rough day; her mother had punished her for getting a low grade on her test.  Her father argued with her mother before punishing her even more.  Feeling her lower back, the female could still tell there was a major bruise there.  Amber wasn’t here yet.  It was past six and her parents would find out soon.  They’d be out here in a flash, ready to pull her in.  “Fine.”  Analeigh spat out to no one in particular.  “I guess I’m going inside—!”

Hearing wheels squeak to a stop, Analeigh turned and met eyes with Amber.  “Wait!  Wait, Leigh!  I’m sorry I’m late!”

“Oh.  You’re sorry.  That’s it?  What’s your reasoning?  What’s your reasoning to break your promise?”  Analeigh instantly yelled, not caring if her mother or father could hear her.

Eyebrows pulling together in confusion, Amber grabbed her board and tucked it underneath her arm.  “I accidentally got caught up in basketball with the guys.  I said I was sorr—”

“Sorry’s not gonna cut it today, Amber!  You don’t know what I’ve been through today!  I just wanted to talk to my best friend until sundown.  I wanted to tell her everything and I needed her comfort.”  Analeigh bit back tears, turning around to go inside.

“Are you kidding me?!  Just one day away from me is going to make you angry?  I’m sorry I can’t give up my own schedule to come see you because I have nothing busy to do!”  Amber threw down her skateboard, ready to skate off across to her street.  She didn’t look both ways as she began to roll across and suddenly what Analeigh heard next was a rude awakening.

First, a loud horn.  When was that truck speeding down the street?

Second, a hard hit to her best friend’s body.  How did they know it was coming?

Third…Amber’s body hitting the ground and her blacking out.

Every movement after that was a blur to Analeigh.  For all she knew, her best friend could be dead.

It’s been days since Analeigh’s went to the hospital.  Amber’s been in a deep sleep and her mother wants her to study.  She has no time to check up on her every day anymore.  Even though she was so busy, she took the time to pray near her bed.  Please let Amber live.  I’m sorry Amber.  Don’t leave me now.

This little strand of hope kept the girl moving.  She wanted to get things done so she could see her friend again.

One day when she came home from school, her mother had her car keys and purse in hand.  “Want to go see your friend?”  The girl didn’t have to think twice as she hopped into the car with her mother.  They drove down to the hospital and Analeigh almost threw the door open as they parked.

“Where’s the room for Amber Liu?”

“Room 154.”

Running that way, Analeigh’s movements began to blur again.  She wanted to see her best friend so bad it was killing her.  Throwing open the door, the female could see the tomboy and her family near her.  With a smile, Analeigh ran up to the bed.  “Amber!  How are you?  Did you sleep good?  Does your body still hurt?  I’ve missed you and thought about you every day!  I prayed for you and I hoped that you’d wake up some day!  My praying has gone through—”

“…Who are you?”

The question seemed to stun every one.  Analeigh stopped in her tracks, becoming immediately dry.  “I-I’m your best friend, Amber.  Analeigh.  Leigh.  …You don’t remember?”

Seeing the tomboy’s confused glance made everything confirmed.  She had lost her memory of ever being near Analeigh.

The girl tried everything to get Amber’s memory back.  She tried going to school with her—she ended up going back to being home schooled—, she tried skateboarding with her, playing basketball with her.  When Analeigh asked her if she remembered anything, the dark-haired female would shake her head and say it had been a fun day.  Day after day, there was nothing but fail.  “Give it time.”  Her mother had said.

I give up.

Back to now.  I gave up for seven years and I never heard from you.  Not until I saw the headlines in the local paper.  You’re going to debut in a group in South Korea.  Where I was born.  Was this a sign?  A sign that told me I needed to try one more time?  I needed to make you remember me.  You loved me and I loved you.  We were best friends; we are best friends.

The next few weeks were based on money and packing for I was shipping out to Korea soon.

It was time to make you remember me. No matter what it takes.