somehow, it seems like a symbol of goodbye

Coffee

Quick A/N: Another pointless one-shot. LOL. I was going to post this at the EunHae Drabble Collection thing but I guess this is way too long to be a drabble. This will be my last one-shot, for a while, since school starts tomorrow. My third to the last semester! Woot. Wish me luck. Hope you like this... Even if just a little. :D

***

 

“Hey, did you know that you look pathetic right now?”

Donghae glares at the boy beside him and gives him a light push. “Did you know that nobody cares about your opinion?”

“No, I didn't,” Kyuhyun says with a small smirk on his asking-for-Donghae's-punch face. “But it's a fact, not an opinion. Seriously, man, just talk to him or something. Everytime you stare at him with lovey dovey eyes, a cute, little puppy dies. Do you want that?”

“Shut up. I do not stare at him with lovey dovey eyes,” Donghae counters even though deep inside he knows Kyuhyun's right. He does look pathetic. He is pathetic. And he, much to his horror, probably does look at him like that but- “And puppies don't die from that! Where did you get that from?”

“Discovery Channel.”

“Seriously?”

“No, you loser.” Kyuhyun laughs in his face and he can mostly tell it's forced just to spite him. He feels an itch on his knuckles but resists the urge to punch Kyuhyun. He doesn't want anyone seeing him doing an act of violence. And by anyone, he actually means Hyukjae, the person he stares at with “lovey dovey eyes”, according to the brat beside him. He wants Hyukjae to have a good impression of him. And it's not like he's really violent, he only gets that way when it comes to Kyuhyun. Which is a lot, but still. It's not his fault. The kid is always, always asking for it.

“You're doing it again, hyung.”

Crap.

He reluctantly turns around and pretends to do something of importance by arranging coffee containers that were already arranged and wiping trays that were already obviously spotless. He knows Kyuhyun will notice this, but it's better than being caught staring at the object of his fantasies. No, that sounds extremely erted. Desires? Affections?

He's about to rearrange the containers again when Kyuhyun holds his arm and effectively makes him look at the boy who seems to have made annoying Donghae the sole purpose of his life.

“Hyung, seriously. Just talk to him. I know you want to. And you've been crushing on him for what? An eternity?”

“Why do you always exaggerate things? It's only been a few months.” Six months and nineteen days, to be exact, but Kyuhyun doesn't need to know that. “Besides he's probably waiting for someone already. He hasn't ordered anything yet and he's looking at his watch like his life depends on it.”

“You and your stalker tendencies. And you're jealous, too, wow.”

“I don't have stalker tendencies. I'm observant. An emotionally sensitive one. And definitely not jealous, nope,” Donghae spits out denial after denial even though he agrees with Kyuhyun. Yes, he's jealous. It's true. Hyukjae keeps looking at his watch so he's obviously expecting someone. He feels an ache in his chest but tries to shrug it off. It's just a crush. It'll pass. And he's going to find another cute regular customer at the coffee shop he's working at. And then he'll forget all about Hyukjae and his voice and his short greetings of “good morning” or “good afternoon” with that unique smile of his.

Hopefully.

He sees Kyuhyun on the verge of saying something again but he is interrupted by someone clearing his throat. Said someone happens to be Hyukjae. Oh no. Donghae feels his heart sink to the pit of his stomach as he realizes that Hyukjae's going to order now. That means.... He gives Hyukjae's usual spot a subtle glance but sees no one there. Maybe he's been stood up. He almost feels happy about that but stops himself. Hyukjae's probably crushed right now. He should comfort him. By making awesome coffee for him.

He tries to smile as best as he can as he approaches the counter, Kyuhyun leaving the scene but not before pestering him about talking to Hyukjae. “What are you getting today?”

“The usual, but make it two,” Hyukjae says, smiling back at Donghae. Now he imagines Kyuhyun stomping on his heart repeatedly with a huge grin on his face, mocking him. That bastard. Donghae goes on auto-pilot as he punches in Hyukjae's orders and receives the payment. Even that slight brush of their hands couldn't make him happy. So Hyukjae hadn't been stood up. His date will probably turn up by the time Donghae's done with their coffee. That's just fantastic.

He watches Hyukjae walk back to his table. As much as he wants to wallow in his despair, he has work to do. Fifteen minutes and his shift will be over. He'll make Hyukjae's orders, clean up a little, and then he'll wallow in his despair, preferrably with movies (Titanic sounds good) and junkfood. And maybe a Kyuhyun or a Heechul to knock some sense into him and make him a functional human being again.

Sounds like a plan.

When he's done, he sets the two cups of coffee on a tray. Somehow, it seems like a symbol of goodbye, an end to Donghae's stupid, school-girl crush on a man he barely knows. He takes off his cream-colored apron, grabs his bag from under the counter and slings it over his shoulder. He takes the tray off of the table and slowly walks towards his doom.

“Here's your coffee, Hyukjae.”

“How did you...?” He stares at the confused expression on Hyukjae's face when he realizes what he just said. Donghae is floored by his own stupidity, really. It's absolutely A-class. Now he has to explain why he knows Hyukjae's name when they've never really introduced themselves to each other. He could say he heard someone call him that name. Or that he saw his notebook with his name on it. But that seems even worse than the truth. So, he goes for the truth.

“I'm sorry, it's just that, I actually see you at school sometimes. And you… you're friends with some of my friends and I kind of asked them your name, and some other stuff... and yeah. I'm sorry, you're probably thinking I’m some creepy stalker right now. But I’m not. Really. I totally--”

He hears laughter and sees Hyukjae laughing at him. “It's okay, Donghae.”

Donghae is not sure he heard Hyukjae right. Did he just...?

“You know my name? How?”

Hyukjae gives him a smile so y and so cute at the same time, he wants to ravish him right then and there. But he has questions that need answers so the ravishing will have to wait. If it actually comes.

“Why don't I tell you over coffee?”

Donghae's eyes are wide and he's looking at Hyukjae like he offered him a blo... b-word or something equally ual like that. “But I thought you were waiting for someone...”

He watches as Hyukjae takes one of the cups from the tray, grabs his hand and makes him hold the cup. Hyukjae looks at him and Donghae swears it's a look that tells him he's wanted.

“Right,” he says with a nod. “I was waiting for my date and now he's here. Donghae, have coffee with me?”

Donghae would have to be a fool to say no to that.