Chapter Two

Prejudices

 

Author's Note - Guys, I changed the title and foreword to fit the story more, so I'm sorry if it's a bit confusing. Please enjoy!

“How dare she do that to me! Who does she think she is? Does she know who I am? I’m Myungsoo, Kim Myungsoo! How dare she…”

JB rolled his eyes and mimed plugging his ears; Myungsoo’s gaze him and he swatted the younger man angrily, “Don’t do that! That girl…most women would jump at the chance to be on a date with me, and she just slaps me and leaves me there? She…” His voice trailed off as couldn’t seem to find the words to express his anger.

Woohyun rolled his eyes, “Well, from what people are saying, it seems you’re the bastard who pissed her off first.”

Myungsoo glared at Woohyun as he seethed, “Right, fine, get on the girl’s side! Be that way!”

Woohyun bit back a sigh, “You know, one day, you’re going to realize that you’re still a bachelor while the rest of us are happily married, and frankly I think none of us will be particularly surprised.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?!”

“It just means you’re the biggest out of all of us.” Jr translated succinctly.

Myungsoo growled, “No way. It just means I won’t be stupid enough to fall in love like the rest of you fools!”

“One day you’re going to regret saying that.” Woohyun responded coolly.

“What did you say to her, anyway? To make her so pissed off. I mean, she’s like the quietest girl in our class. How did you manage to make her blow up like that?” Jr asked curiously.

Myungsoo raised his hands defensively, “I didn’t say anything! It was her, she was acting like a peasant in an expensive restaurant and she totally embarrassed me. I just told her so.”

There was a long pause.

Woohyun facepalmed, while Jr sighed. JB’s fingers tightened around his glass, “You’re kidding me, right?”

“What?” Myungsoo demanded defensively. JB groaned, “God, you’re an . I shouldn’t even have thought of this plan for you. What a jerk.”

“What did I do?” Myungsoo demanded indignantly, “It’s not like I said anything that bad!”

JB looked up, and his eyes were unusually serious for once, “Come with me and I’ll show you something. Then you’ll understand what I mean.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Why in the world are you bringing me to this crappy place? It’ll totally ruin our reputation if we’re seen here.” Myungsoo folded his arms and glared at JB, who was in the driver’s seat.

JB glanced at him, “You know this is where Jiyeon lives, right?”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “Duh. That’s exactly why I asked to meet at a park instead of picking her up here.”

JB had to force himself not to groan again, “God, this just gets better and better, doesn’t it?”

He got out of the car; Myungsoo looked appalled, “JB! Are you really trying to destroy our reputations?”

JB rolled his eyes in exasperation, “It won’t kill you. Now just get out of the damn car.’

Myungsoo grumbled and swore and complained, but eventually he made his way out of the car to stand next to JB, “Now what?”

“Now we wait.” JB replied, folding his arms and leaning against the door.

Myungsoo stared at his best friend in disbelief, but JB just ignored him. Left without a choice, Myungsoo could only stick as close to the car as he could, hoping that those filthy cockroaches and rats that infested this neighbourhood wouldn’t be interested in him.

After nearly five minutes, Myungsoo demanded exasperatedly, “What are we even waiting for?”

JB paused, his eyes scanning the apartment he had parked in front of. He checked his watch quickly, then nodded, “She’s coming. Now be quiet.”

Myungsoo frowned, but curiosity made him finally keep his mouth shut and he waited along with JB.

Moments later, Myungsoo saw a familiar figure walking slowly towards the apartment. He saw that she wasn’t wearing a coat; she was trembling from the cold, her arms shaking uncontrollably. One hand held onto a young child, following behind the older figure. The child wore an oversized coat, one that probably belonged to the older woman.

“…Park Jiyeon. Is she crazy, walking out in this weather without a coat?” Myungsoo whispered. He was aware of the bitter cold even through his own warm, thick coat, and he could barely imagine walking through the snow without it.

As Jiyeon and the child turned to enter the apartment, Myungsoo heard the child speak in a high, clear voice, “Unnie, when will daddy and mommy come home? I miss mommy’s cooking…”

He couldn’t see her face, but as Myungsoo heard the tremble in Jiyeon’s voice, all too clearly, “Soon, Haeyeon. Daddy and mommy will be home soon…”

The door shut behind them.

Myungsoo glanced at JB to see if he was leaving, but JB remained silent, his eyes fixed on where the duo had disappeared.

The door opened again, and Jiyeon emerged, still not wearing a coat. She glanced at her watch, and Myungsoo heard her faint murmur, “I’m going to be late…”

She set off at a run, and JB turned to the car, “Get in.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, frustrated at his best friend’s odd behavior, but he didn’t want to get into a fight with him, so he got into the car quietly.

JB drove slowly, following after Jiyeon as she ran through the snow, until they came to an old, rundown restaurant. Myungsoo watched as she entered the restaurant, and he snorted, “What, is she meeting another of her boyfriends here? What a crappy-”

“This is one of the places Jiyeon works at. One out of the, if I’m not wrong, seven jobs she takes up.” JB interrupted.

Myungsoo turned to stare at JB, “What? Seven jobs?”

“Yes. She also works as a tutor for younger children, a laundrymaid, and various others.” JB’s voice was detached as he watched Jiyeon rushing to put her uniform on.

Myungsoo’s voice was amused, “Wow, she really is money-minded, huh? She’s willing to act as my girlfriend for a couple of bucks, and spend all this time on jobs just to earn a bit more dough…”

JB turned to look at Myungsoo, “You can’t judge a book by its cover, you know. Some people, they’re forced to do what they have to in order to survive.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “Sure. And some people just want a little more money to live with.”

There was a long pause as JB studied Myungsoo. Then he turned away, “Go and talk to her. Then you’ll know why you ought to apologise.” Without another word, he got into the car and drove off.

There was a pause as Myungsoo stared at where the car had been. Then he blinked, and yelled after JB, “Hey, are you seriously leaving me here?!”

There was no response.

Myungsoo groaned, “Some kind of friend you are.” He glanced back at the restaurant, where Jiyeon was serving one of the customers. He was about to turn away when he paused, hesitant.

JB’s words had perked his interest, and now Myungsoo was curious. Wasn’t Park Jiyeon just a really money-minded person? Why was JB so certain that Myungsoo was wrong?

He hesitated for a moment longer. Then he sighed, and straightened up. He was sure he was going to regret this, but what the heck. He strode purposefully towards the restaurant, and entered it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon looked up as the door opened, and her expression darkened at the sight of him. Without a word she strode towards him, hissing, “What the hell are you doing here, Kim Myungsoo? I thought it’ll destroy your reputation if you’re seen here?” Her last words were said with a sarcastic sneer.

Myungsoo coughed uncomfortably, “No need to be so hostile, right? I just wanted to talk.”

“I have nothing to say to you.”

“JB said I was wrong about you. That you’re not a money-minded person. That I should apologise to you.” Myungsoo replied, ignoring her cold words. Jiyeon glared at him, “Why JB-oppa is friends with a guy like you is simply beyond me.”

“Am I wrong, though?” Myungsoo raised an eyebrow. Jiyeon rolled her eyes in exasperation and turned to leave, but Myungsoo grabbed her hands, “Wait! Look, I’m trying to be friends, all right. Fine, maybe I was a bit of an last time, and I’m kind of sorry about that, so let’s start on a clean slate, okay?”

Jiyeon glanced back at him warily, like she wasn’t sure whether or not to believe him. Myungsoo sat down on one of the chairs, “So, is there a menu? Let’s eat and talk.”

Jiyeon hesitated, almost incredulous that he wanted to stay here and talk to her. Perhaps he really was sincere…after a moment, she reached over and took a menu, handing it to him, “What do you want?”

Myungsoo studied the menu for a moment, then replied, “I’ll just have fried rice.”

Jiyeon called the order to a chef, and sat down at the table, “The boss probably won’t mind if I have a short break.”

Myungsoo leaned forward, “So why do you need so much money, if you’re not just money-minded?”

“If you’re going to be rude then I’m getting back to work.”

“Hey, now.” Myungsoo raised his hands defensively, “I’m honestly curious here.”

Jiyeon hesitated for a moment, wondering if she should tell him the truth. Then she shrugged. It wouldn’t hurt anyone, anyway, and he might even be able to help her, “My parents were involved in a car accident two years ago.”

Myungsoo’s eyes flickered up, startled. Jiyeon’s eyes were fixed on some point in the distance, almost as if she wasn’t aware of his presence, “My mother died. My dad’s been in a coma for the past two years, but his situation’s become unstable. I need the money for the surgeries, else my dad will die.”

Jiyeon tried to force a smile, like it was no big deal, but Myungsoo’s piercing eyes silenced her. It was almost as if he could look into her soul with those eyes.

He didn’t say he was sorry. That was new. Almost everyone said that line, as if it was required of them, when she told her story. He folded his arms, leaning back in his chair, “How much do you need.”

Jiyeon told him. Myungsoo didn’t bat an eyelid, “My offer stands. Pretend to be my girlfriend, and I’ll pay you that amount.”

Jiyeon looked up at him sharply, to see if he was mocking her, but his expression was deadly serious, “You need the money, don’t you? And I need someone to act as my girlfriend. So let’s make a deal. We’ll both get what we want.”

Jiyeon stared at him for a moment. Then she whispered, “Why are you doing this?”

Myungsoo smiled, but it wasn’t like his usual arrogant smirks, “I feel like it. I often do things that don’t make sense just because I feel like it, you know.”

He stretched, “Well, that’s settled, then. Tell your chef to hurry up, I’ve got an appointment later. And I’ll pick you up tomorrow at noon, at your house.”

There was a moment of silence as Jiyeon regarded him. For a moment, it seemed as if there were tears in her eyes. She bowed her head and rose to leave, but Myungsoo caught hold of her hand, “I’m sorry. For all the things I said last time.”

“…Thank you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, Kim Myungsoo wasn’t late. 

--------------------------------------------------

Next chapter! I know it's been wayyyy more than two days, and I'm sorry I'm late, but I was in Mulu(in Malaysia) for hols and I didn't realise it was a jungle area with no internet at all, so yeah. Just got back today, and posted as soon as I could. Once again, I'm sorry and I hope you all understand. Please comment and subscribe if you haven't yet!