Chapter 2

Choi Number 4

Today, I'll return to Korea. It must have been approximately 6 years since I first stepped into the compounds of the States. I moved here when I was 12. Having difficulties fitting in as a Korean, based on food preference and everything within the terminals of Korea. I was different. Probably still am, or even more, now that I've spent 6 years in the States, living non-Asian life and I'm about to revert to an all-Korean lifestyle. Pushing my way through the several Americans in the airport, I wheeled my mint green luggage across the smooth flooring, the friction between the wheels and the floor sounding from many other luggages, along with my own. I packed just about everything I had in my room, bidding my Aunt goodbye. Indeed it was hard, it was never easy to say goodbye, only except when I moved here, away from Korea. It seemed like the perfect getaway from the slim and beautiful Koreans, to where I actually belong, among larger sized Americans. Don't get me wrong, American's aren't huge, they are only larger than Asians, but that's because many Asians are tiny, not that it's a bad thing. I actually yearn to be tiny. 

My eyes hurt. It had to, after the non-stop sobbing in school. I still could not believe I was leaving the States, after 6 years! How was I even to fit in now? One thing I knew for sure, my parents weren't gonna welcome a pleasant daughter home. I didn't even have a say and they delivered my flight tickets here. I felt heavier today and I blame the load I'm carrying on my shoulders. I reckon they remembered my exact appearance, they would probably be aghast, since I'm pretty sure I gained weight, ever since the last time they saw me 3 years ago when they visited. They would persuade me, every single year, to return to Korea. I would reject them, every single time those few words left their mouths. No one understood, even if I hoped they did. I was happier here, was that so wrong? 
Indeed it was, which was why I gave up. I had not even bothered ringing them for a quick argument or debate on whether I get to stay in the States. Maybe it was time to return to where I was originally from, South Korea. 

After settling my luggage in and presenting my air ticket, I made my way towards the plane, clutching my leather fringe bag dreadfully. I felt horrible. It was so bad, I was actually tired of crying. I wouldn't hesitate to admit I cried, not once or twice, but maybe more than a dozen times. I hate admitting my feelings, especially when I'm weak. I located my seat, settling comfortably into the plush seat. I looked out the window, watching people get onto the plane. Families on vacation, business men and women preparing themselves for a deal they were about to make. All but myself, boarding the plane to a place I dislike. 

"No, I'm not going to Korea. I'm in Japan." Whined a husky, low voice in Korean language. I turned to face a man in his twenties, definitely older than me, seated on the seat next to mine. I scanned him, from his curly bed hair, to his mature but extremely charming and mischievous grin. He tugged at the woolen sweater he was dressed in and caught my gaze, grinning playfully at me. I nodded my head and looked away, slightly embarrassed at the fact that he caught me staring, even if he was good looking, and Korean at that. Besides that, he was lying, which was rather attractive. Maybe pranking would be a better word. This plane is headed to Korea, obviously he was lying to whoever he was on the call with. From this, I can deduce that my seat mate is an interesting man. 

The journey back to Korea was about to begin, as the man next to me switched of his mobile phone and the plane started to ascend, after a few words from the captain. This was it. I watched as we ascended, in par with the magnolia clouds and blue sky. Goodbye, America.