Chapter 1

Choi Number 4

 

The sun was exceptionally bright today, however, it seems so much like it's depicting its happiness, the complete opposite of my mood at the moment. Scribbing down the last few words of my English essay, I got up and rushed towards the ringing telephone. "Hello?" I began, waiting patiently for a response. Who was calling at this hour? Apparently  it was 12 am in the morning and none of my friends would call home, or my aunt's home that is. A familiar, soothing feminine voice responded, "Yah, Minri ah." whoever that is. "May I know who you are? And how did you know my name?" I politely questioned. None of my friends addressed me with my name, it's always Min and from the way she spoke, I'm pretty sure she ain't from the States. "Choi Minri, quit the English act." a male voice spoke this time, in Korean, low and almost familiar as well. They are definitely Koreans, but who? "I hope you know that I'm not as free as you are to be calling at 12 am in the morning. Be it a prank call or whatsoever, reveal yourselves now, or I'll hang up." I bit my lip upon swiftly pronouncing each syllable back in Korean. It was long since I last spoke Korean, it felt great in fact, like I returned to my roots or where I came from. I didn't need to speak Korean here in the States, everyone spoke English and of course I did too, despite being Korean, born in Korea, by Koreans. "Unnie, you actually don't recognize us?" a sweeter female voice sounded this time. Just how many people were on this phone call? Well the girl called me unnie and only 2 people do that, my neighbour  back in Korea before I went to live with my aunt and... Sulli. Sulli. That's it. Sulli's on the call, right? Why would she call? We aren't even close, in fact, I'm positive she hates me. "Yeah Min, how can you forget us? It's just 3 years, I'm sure you remember your charming brother Choi Minho, right?" The earlier male voice joked, confirming the owner of it's voice. "Minri, it's us. Siwon oppa's on the line with Sooyoung, Minho & Jinri." an extremely low but equally familiar voice broke my string of thoughts, getting straight to the point as usual. "Siwon oppa?" I whispered. No wonder they called at this time, it's 11 am in Korea. 
 
"Oh, hey guys. Why'd you call? Did something happen?" my voice returned to it's usual monotone rhythm, simply unexcited to receive their phone call. They never call me, it's like they forgot they had a sister. In fact, I'm sure they preferred me to stay here in the States with my aunt, rather than tarnish the Choi Siblings' reputation with my unsightly appearance. The main reason why I moved to the States was because I hated Korean food ever since young, especially kimchi. I'd rather eat vegetables with ice cream and I meant it. "There's something you need to know." Unnie added. Well it's expected, they wouldn't just give their little sister a call without an actual reason, doubt they would even bother. Aren't I always the black sheep? I sighed, returning my focus back to the call. "What would that be?" I walked back to my room, frowning at the silence and occasional whisperings between Minho and Sooyoung on who to break the news, whatever it was, to me. "Guys,  just say it. It's 12 am here in case you forgot. I need my sleep." I said nonchalantly, even if I wasn't intending to hit the pillow anytime soon. I had to rush my homework, I never want to leave for school with undone homework, it's just a rule for myself. Nothing wrong about it yeah? Maybe that's why I'm so distant with my four siblings, we were worlds apart. 
 
Siwon oppa finally broke the silence and whisperings, "We want you to move back to Korea." As soon as those words left his mouth, I'm sure I felt my heart stop beating. Leave the States, for Korea? No way, I'm not going to leave my home, for Korea. I can't. I won't. They can't make me leave. "W-what? Why?" I managed, gulping down the lump that formed in my throat almost instantly. I was settling down fine in the States, now why do I have to return to Korea, of all countries, Korea? Where I get teased over my weight and appearance which were nothing like my siblings'. It was always about Siwon, Sooyoung, Minho and Sulli. Never about me. For starters, I am overweight. That probably brought me down many levels. "Umma and Appa said so, they didn't like having you across the globe. Plus, it's time we spent some quality time." Sooyoung explained. "We've already bought the tickets for you. You'll be home by this Friday." she continued. 
 
My gaze darted towards the calendar sitting on my wooden desk. It's Tuesday today, that means I'm only left with 4 days in the States. "What? No. I'm not leaving America. You can tell umma that. It's not fair for me." I stubbornly defended myself. "I don't wanna leave. You can't make me." I shot back, staring down at a family portrait on the table. From Sooyoung's long wavy hair, to Minho's big brown orbs, similar to Sooyoung's and Siwon's handsome smile, ending with Sulli's sweet features. What am I, Choi Minri, compared to my four siblings? I looked at myself, standing next to Minho and Sulli, disappointed with the way I looked next to them. Sure I had Sooyoung's long curls, but I was fat, still is, and will always be, until I decide I didn't love food enough to forgo it. "You don't have a choice Unnie, appa says he already told his sister, that only means you have to return to Korea, since I'm sure aunt wouldn't keep you in America against appa's wishes." Sulli's voice sounded. She's right, our aunt wouldn't allow me to stay. "Why do I have to leave?" 
 
I bit my lip and shifted my attention towards the picture frame next to the one of me and my siblings. My friends, my life in America, everything was going to change, now that I have to leave, all in four days without earlier notice. For one, I'm not the kind to rebel against my parents and I'm sure I'll end up in Korea, whether it's now or later, knowing my dad. After listening to Siwon oppa's long detailed explanation and Sulli's bratty add ons, I said goodbye and hanged up, walking straight to my bed, going to bed without completing my homework for the first time. I'm leaving in four days, there was no point in finishing them anyway.