Childish secrets and the cold, all for us.

Our love can be our heaven.

 

Chapter one.
Childish secrets and the cold, all for us.
 
 
You always loved Christmas. From the soft snow that graced over each and every surface to the brilliantly sparkling lights strung up in tiny arches and crooked lines to the scent of cinnamon and sugar hanging in the warm air of our apartment, everything. Even the cheesy Christmas specials from our childhood that somehow still make us light up with a newfound hope each time the classics come on, and even my attempts at trying to be your Santa (which was actually just an excuse to get you to sit on my lap). Your response, straddling me with that devious smirk on your thin lips, mouth a breadths away from my own as you sing Santa Baby in your 'sultry' voice. But honestly, you trying to be y (or should I say thexy?) with that lisp never failed to make me aroused, no matter how ridiculous 'Thanta baby' sounds.
 
Then there were the presents. Mr.Go-overboard-because-the-economy-needs-it. Buying painfully perfect and expensive things for everyone, even that damned troll who would try and lure you under the mistletoe like a tradition EACH YEAR (Jongdae has been noted on several hit lists for that). But it was endearing. Being dragged along as your personal bag-carrier as you traipsed through the snow-blanketed streets of Seoul wrapped up in a hat, scarf, oversized coat, gloves, and earmuffs, smiling even as the tip of your small nose would turn numb and you'd be forced to retreat into a coffee shop to look over your spoils before heading out again. 
 
The Christmas parties never disappointed either, the two of us tag teaming to turn our apartment into a Christmas wonderland that our grateful friends would huddle inside as eggnog and (spiked) hot chocolate went around, ugly sweaters praised and horrible karaoke worshipped. Gifts, small or large, meaningful or just awesome, were given left and right, greasy jokes (courtesy of Baekhyun) made after each exchange. A Secret Santa program was even set up by you one year, but that ended up failing when Minseok received a lingerie set that was supposed to be for Luna (her erted brother, Chanyeol had the opportunity to be her secret Santa), which just resulted in teasing from the drunk Luhan and tipsy Sooyoung, much to little Minseok's demise. Yet, even when things went wrong, you'd be laughing like it was all supposed to end up that way, cheeks dusted with a pink tint and crescent eyes filled with dancing sprites of joy and mischief.
 
And I found myself laughing too.
 
<•~*~•>
 
The Han river would be mostly frozen by then, usually calm ripples silenced by a milky sheet of ice that accented the leafless, white park perfectly. Paths were dotted by elders walking along diligently, college students somehow managing to jog through the frigid weather, children trailing after their parents, dogs and their walkers braving the cold, and city goers sipping cups of steaming coffee as they calmly absorbed their surroundings despite the headphones pulled over their ears. 
 
Walking hand-in-hand, we cuddled up to each other as we fought off the cold, steps almost in perfect unison. A long, orange and brown scarf was wrapped around both of our necks, a protective hand on your waist and a cup of coffee for the two of us. Recoiled into your thick jacket, a knit beanie snugly covered your numb ears, lithe body leaning into mine for warmth as you sipped the steaming drink in a desperate attempt to warm yourself. I proved to be used to the chill of winter in Seoul, arm bringing you in closer to my body as I made do with a looser flapped hat and peacoat, puffs of frozen air passing by my chapped lips.
 
"It's cold." you commented, voice tiny and muffled as you buried yourself inside the chunky sweater, side fit against my own in attempts to warm yourself.
 
"Mm." I nodded, words failing me at that point. Maybe I could blame the cold on my response, but you immediately jumped onto my case, nudging me playfully as you looked up at me.
 
"Speak up, Jongie!"
 
"I didn't say anything!"
 
"Then you should say something."
 
"Like?"
 
"Like.... 'Oh Sehun is soooo dreamy!'"
 
After a pause, in which you winked at me like you had a tick in your eye and smiled like an idiot, eyes squinting up into twin crescent moons as an awkward giggle passed by your lips, breath curling out in white clouds, I finally found myself laughing.
 
"Well c'mon then, Mister Dreamy! Sica's cafe is calling!" I gently motioned to the city that began to open up on the park, a cozy cafe nestled in somewhere in the depths. Pulling the scarf tighter, you giggled again before tossing the empty cup of less than great coffee into one of the many trash cans that dotted along the sides of the paved path.
 
"That makes you Miss Dreamy, right?"
 
"You wish."
 
"Meanie!"
 
 
 
"You know," you began, making me look up from the slice of chocolate cake on my plate, your fork setting down on the glass plate. "I have a secret."
 
"Do you now?" I chuckled, my tongue darting out to up a smudge of chocolate frosting over my bottom lip. You nodded, smiling deviously. You got that smirk from Jongdae no doubt, I've seen him pull that grin on mom too many times to count, that smirk that would always be followed by a stunt that'd get me in trouble (he wasn't a very good brother). 
 
"Mm hmm!" you mused, a forkful of carrot cake set onto your tongue the next moment. "Do you want to know?"
 
"Do I?"
 
"Hmm, I think you do!"
 
"Is it a juicy secret?"
 
"So juicy."
 
"Well I'm listening!"
 
You bent forwards, hand pressed against the corner of your mouth as you motioned for me to get closer with your other hand. I follow suit, our faces maybe an inch away that I had the urge to close after noticing how soft your lips looked. Pushing up your glasses, your tongue ran over your lower lip before you took a deep breath, my eyebrows raising a bit at your odd preparation.
 
"... I like you, Kim Jongin." you said in a voice barely above a whisper, a blush dusting your cheeks as you winked, thick eyelashes resting on your prominent cheekbones for a moment. I blinked hard, a breathy chuckle ghosting over your face as my index finger just barely tapped the tip of your nose, plump lips pulled into a smile.
 
"I like you too, Oh Sehun. A lot." I whispered back, feigning shyness as my eyes dart away for a moment, attention directed to the street beyond the glass for a second. Snow fell silently, people bustling along the busy streets in their own little world of mustered warmth, bags and purses and even companions clinging to their sides as they tried to escape the cold. The sun, masked by pale grey clouds, provided no heat that was felt, the cinnamon-scented fire of the cafe saving us from the merciless winter.
 
"Waa, that's so convenient!" you exclaimed, pulling away to eat another bite of the cake as you looked around, giggling upon seeing something behind me. "Soojung-ah! Hi!" I spun around, met by the tall brunette that had just scuttled inside the cafe to shield herself from the cold streets.
 
"Sehun! Jongin! Oh god it's cold out I swear to god I'm going to freeze my off!" Soojung exclaimed, pulling a chair up to the table without any questions, her bundled-up figure almost comical. A thick hat and scarf covered all but her eyes, oversized blue puffer jacket with a fur collar and hood eating her up as her small hands were clothed with chunky-knit mittens that rendered her unable to pick anything up.
 
"You look like an Eskimo." I pointed out with a chuckle as she pulled the scarf away from , forcing a laugh before she punched my upper arm with her mitten-clad fist.
 
"You look like Baekhyun." she shot back, eyeing up my peacoat with an amused expression. "Lemme guess, last year's Christmas gift, courtesy of said greasy diva?"
 
"You got me." I laughed, as if it wasn't totally obvious that Baekhyun gave me the coat (it's not as if he wears those things everyday even after he starts complaining about how cold he is). You joined in, Soojung shedding as much of her Eskimo outfit as she could in a hurry to rid herself of the heavyweight clothing.
 
"So what brings you here, Soo?" You asked, offering Soojung the remainders of your cake, to which she turned down with a wave of her hand and a smile.
 
"Sica and the cold." she laughed, rubbing her now bare hands together in hopes to warm herself up. "On another note, what's 'so convenient'? I walked in on little Hunnie practically yelling that! I'm surprised Sica didn't scold you!"
 
We exchanged looks, a blush returning to your cheeks as your eyes fell downcast, shy grin pulling at the corners of your mouth, which made Soojung raise a perfectly sculpted brow. I shrugged nonchalantly despite the tint of pink that crept onto my cheekbones, mouth opening to reply to the curious brunette.
 
"Well-"
 
"Yah! Jung Krystal Soojung! No loitering!" a sharp voice cut me off, all of us immediately looking towards the counter to see a half-frowning petite blonde behind the display, glaring icy daggers at Soojung. The younger merely laughed in response to the woman's outburst, picking herself up to go meet the fuming worker.
 
"You could ask nicely, Sooyeon."
 
We simply laughed, fingers somehow interlacing as our eyes met for a moment.