Story

Sakuntala and the Ring of Recollection

 

This is a love story about King Dushyanta of Puru Dynasty and a hermit-girl, named Sakuntala.

It all started when King Dushyanta, in the course of his hunting expedition, arrives at Kanva’s hermitage. There, he saw Sakuntala with her acquaintances, active watering the plants.

He approached her and asked;

Dushyanta: My dear maiden, what is your name?

Sakuntala: Sir, my name is Sakuntala.

Dushyanta: I am Dushyanta, King of Puru Dynasty and my royal Dignitary.

Sakuntala: Nice to meet you, sir. (Respectful)

They talked for a long time and got to know each other.

Soon they got married and said their vows.

Shortly thereafter, Dushyanta had to return to his palace but not before promising to send an envoy to Sakuntala to his place and gave her a signet ring as a symbolic gesture.

 

One day, an ill-tempered sage stopped by at Sakuntala’s hut for hospitality.

Sage:  My dear, may you let me in?

Sage: My dear!! I said ‘may you let me in?’!!! (Angry)

The sage kept on asking but no answer came from Sakuntala’s mouth for she was too occupied in her thoughts of King Dushyanta.

Sage: Well then! May the person you’re thinking about forget you!!! (Range)

The sage relented later and said:

Sage: When he sees an item, which he has given to you and recognizes it, he will remember you.

 

Sakuntala was sent to the court of Dushyanta, now pregnant, by her Kanva ---- her friends, all shed tears at her departure.

Maiden 1: Bye Sakuntala!!! (Sorrowful)

Maiden 2: We shall miss you Sakuntala~ (Crying)

Unfortunately, Sakuntala loses the ring given by Dushyanta who forgets her.

Upon her arrival, King Dushyanta could not recognize her.

Dushyanta: Who are you?

Sakuntala: My dear, I am you wife. (A-matter-of-fact)

Dushyanta: My wife? I was never married!!!

Sakuntala: You’re my other half! We promised to live happily together once I get here. (Fuming)

Dushyanta: I did no such thing! (Aggravated)

Sakuntala: Bu… bu-t… but…we both promised each other happiness… don’t you remember?!(Crying)

Dushyanta: I am sorry, but I think you got the wrong guy. I am the king of Puru Dynasty. I would never stoop down so low. (Sincere then irritated)

Sakuntala: Bu… but… you promised. (Crying)

Dushyanta: I am sorry. (Sincere)

Overcome with grief after being rejected by Dushyanta, Sakuntala left and looked for another village.

 

After several years, the ring was found in the stomach of a fish and Dushyanta, upon seeing it, remembered everything. He felt dejected that he had rejected Sakuntala.

He visits the hermitage where Sakuntala lives the life of an ascetic. There he sees a boy daringly attempting to bare the jaws of a lion’s cub. And near the boy was a young woman. He approached them and asked:

Dushyanta:  Sakuntala? Is that you?

The young woman faced her.

Sakuntala: Dushyanta? OHMYHEAVENS…it is you!! (o__O)

Dushyanta: I am so sorry, Sakuntala. I forgot everything about you. I don’t know why, but I did. Please believe and forgive me. (Begging)

Sakuntala: You remembered… (Teary-eyed)

And so Dushyanta, Sakuntala and their son are happily united. Sakuntala had transformed herself from a pleasure-seeking young girl into a young woman imbued with a sense of total renunciation and service.