Chapter 1

To Be Loved

Author's Note: Hey guys! I just want to say that I have absolutely nothing against the people that I make into villians. I just pick random people out of a hat. Really. I have a big fedora with a bunch of Kpop stars names in. Seriously. Enjoy the story!

~~~~

 

Taemin POV

 

I don't like to complain about my life. I don't like it, but its better than living out on the streets. I wish I could live away from my grandmother, away from this dreaded mansion, but I can't. I have the means to run away and have a perfectly normal life out there in the real world, but I don't.

I can't and don't because the giant and luxurious mansion that I'm living in, this misleading hellhole, is the only memoir left from my parents.

You see, I'm an illegimate child. My father, Cho Kyuhyun, was the heir of SJ Group, one of the richest companies in Korea.  The heir was originally his brother, Kim Jongwoon, but he was disowned for wanting to be a singer. My father was forced to become a doctor when he turned 25 because he couldn't be what he really wanted to be. He, like his brother, wanted to be a singer. Afterwards, he met my mother, Lee Sungmin, when he came to him for a check up.

My father found out that my mother had a rare condition that allowed men to have children. He wanted to research more on it, so he offered my mother free food and boarding if he let my father research him. My mother agreed.

Time passed and somehow, they fell in love. My parents ran away and lived in a quiet home in Ulsan for 5 years. In that time, they had me. Because of the shock of his son running away for a "freak of nature", as my paternal grandparents called my mother, my paternal grandfather, Shindong, died and left my grandmother and father in charge of SJ Group.

My grandmother, Nari, realized that she couldn't handle the companies herself, so she hired private investigators to find my parents, not knowing that I had been born.

My parents tried to run away with me. They knew that society would look down on us and that Nari would hurt me, and they wanted to keep me safe from that pain. We ran for months, away from my grandmother's watchul trackers. However they found my parents.

I'm not sure what happened afterwards.

Nari told me that my parents had left me at home one day to go shopping when they had a car accident and passed away. I was 3. As their next of kin, my grandmother had been informed of my existence and been charged with the responsiblity of being my legal guardian. I've been living with her since.

I've always been looked down because since my parents never married. Korea doesn't allow men to marry, and my parents couldn't go to a foreign country because they were afraid my grandmother would track them, so they stayed in the country. South Korea didn't allow them to formally register their relationship as a marriage, but my father and mother ran through all the traditions. They had a wedding, etc. They even had wedding bands (which were with a close friend of my father's that I don't know of), but the country never saw them as married.

Even though I was legally an illegimate child, I wasn't bullied at school. I attended Seoul's Academy for the Intellectually Advanced (SAIA), which was almost exclusively for the rich. All of us had to take multiple aptitude tests and pay large amounts of money to be excepted. My grandmother allowed me to attend mostly because she didn't want to see my face at home. SAIA had longer hours than most schools, but we had Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off. During those long weekends, my grandmother would force me to spend the days at someone else's house.

Usually, those days were spent at my uncle's house. My paternal uncle, Jongwoon, and his wife, my aunt Ryeowook, were the kindest adults I knew. They were parental figures to me, and I could turn to them for support whenever Nari abused me.

Their sons, Jonghyun and Jongin were my best friends, too. Jonghyun was in a grade higher than me, but he told me to never call him hyung. He said it made him seem older than he actually was. Jongin was in the grade below me, but he never called me hyung for the same reasons.

We stuck together for support during the times that Nari would attack us verbally. It made it a lot easier to face it as a family. Even if who were up against was the woman that created our family.