the void

wanderlust [oneshot]

 

Suzy feels empty.

So she takes to wandering through waves of lush grass, sprinkled with foamy crests of hyacinths, lilies, daffodils.

She is searching.

 

 

She has admirers, she knows – she is not arrogant, though I cannot say she is humble – but they last but a day, a week if they’ve managed to pique her interest.

They like the idea of her, but not her words or actions or thoughts or even her.

Those who don’t understand, they never stay long.

Her family doesn’t understand, but she cannot leave them.

So they often escape her mind.

Politely, she is absent-minded, a flutterby, a gentle breeze. Bluntly, she is fickle, ditzy, forgetful.

Her friends are fairweather.

She doesn’t notice.

Perhaps that explains the void.

Perhaps not.

She’s still not sure

Whatever the case might be, she’ll search. Her soul is one that cannot rest, cannot stand still.

In her mind, at least.

 

As days pass, as crunches the leaves underfoot, as she pads through snow, cheeks red and heart blank, the void never fills.

Worksheets get turned in blank, but for wobbly and uncertain sketches of fields.

Friends feign concern, parents don’t notice.

What’s happened to you, they ask

You’ve changed, they say.

You don’t understand me, she yells.

I’m empty, she whispers, mainly to herself.

 

Hair grows, matted and tangled.

She wanders at night.

School is a hazy memory.

She is tired.

Her feet ache.

Tears have run dry.

And yet,  she still searches. 

 

One day, as crisp air nips at her nose, and leaves break apart under her soft pads, she meets a woman.

Eyes that crinkle, apple cheeks and a jovial aura that permeates the air.

How have you been, the woman inquires.

Interesting, Suzy replies.

And a hesitant smile appears, as fingers interlock and breaths mingle and secrets are set free.

And the void is filled. 


 

i'm sorry this was really bad it's my first completed thing ever i apologize