Timeout

The Name of the Game

Kyuhyun was pissed.

Minho did not fall in with his wishes for the first time and he was stuck with planning how to get Siwon to be his date for Follies’ Night. After he had just ually harassed him. Yep. 

But to be honest, he was confused as to why Siwon hadn’t punched him in the face yet. Not that he was actually waiting for it. After all, the older boy was avoiding him. Avoiding him and managing to turn up everywhere if that even made sense! 

Kyuhyun could swear that he couldn’t walk about or round a corner without seeing Siwon. The guy was suddenly everywhere he went! And the surprising thing was, they were not even from the same faculty. Last time he checked, the Faculty of Human Kinetics and the Faculty of Music were in different buildings.

Soccer practice was even more confusing. He and Changmin started practicing with the soccer club but the varsity team was also of course, on the same field but occupying the other side. He played soccer before and he was pretty sure that goalkeepers are not ball boys. But Siwon probably crossed the field at least five times to retrieve the errant soccer balls which went to their side of the field.

It wasn’t that he was annoyed that Siwon had exchanged a few kind words or gave an encouraging pat to probably everyone in the soccer club whenever he went to retrieve the ball, but never once did he approach Kyuhyun. He was just really confused. Siwon was a straight-forward person so if he was mad at him, he should have known about it by now. 

So if Siwon wasn’t mad then was he afraid of him? Does that mean Siwon was homophobic? That didn’t make sense because Kyuhyun wasn’t gay. Well at least, he thinks so.

Although he did find some boys attractive like Donghae and Siwon himself. And he did agree to seduce a boy after all. Plus, he wasn’t disgusted at all when he had accidentally-on-purpose touched Siwon’s, umm, “magic wand.” In fact, he made a big deal of washing away that sensation because he was so surprised at how arous-…

Oh , Kyuhyun abruptly stopped in the middle of practice, the boy running behind him managing to swerve at the last moment to avoid running into him. He had looked wonderingly at Kyuhyun but ran on while Kyuhyun silently scolded himself at how stupid can he be as an epiphany came to him, I’m gay after all.

*************

“Hi Kyuhyun! Are you busy after class? I’m sorry to bother you but can you help me out with today’s problem set?”

Kyuhyun raised his head and had to school his features to remain calm as he saw Kim Uee hovering over him. 

He wanted to refuse but he couldn’t think up of a good excuse other than saying “figure it out yourself!” because while he can be rude to his friends and most male acquaintances, Uee wasn’t a friend, more than an acquaintance but not a friend. Besides, she was a girl and his mother’s life-long training was preventing him from being mean to girls. 

He really needed someone to hypnotize his mom’s training away.

“Uh, sure but can we do it at my place?” Kyuhyun said then when he saw Uee hesitate, he realized what he sounded like, “Heh, don’t worry. I have a roommate, we’ll have a chaperone.”

Uee just laughed softly, “I wasn’t worried about that! I was just surprised that you’re inviting me over. I was actually thinking of taking you to Kona Beans and treating you to coffee in return for tutoring me.”

Kyuhyun wasn’t about to turn down free drinks or food, “Well that’s a better idea. But how about we go to the one near the mall? Pretty sure the one here will be packed by now. I brought my car anyway.”

“Sounds good. Let’s go.”

So he and Uee went out the lecture hall and made their way out of the building and to the parking lot. Uee was his classmate in one of the higher Math classes and while they weren’t technically friends, they had chatted more than a few times inside and outside class to qualify as being “on friendly terms” whatever that was.

That was one of the reasons why he had been confident if Minho and Jonghyun had picked Uee as his target. She may be the most popular girl in school but Kyuhyun found her surprisingly insecure about herself. Add to the fact that the reason Uee knew about his existence was because he was the smartest student in their class and her, not so much. So she sought out Kyuhyun’s help a few times on problem set assignments.

This was the first time though that he would be tutoring Uee outside the university but he wanted to make sure he wouldn’t run into Siwon. He hadn’t forgotten that he and Uee were very close; the school paired them up together unconsciously although from the talks he had with Uee, Kyuhyun was fairly sure that they weren’t in a romantic relationship.

And no, it wasn’t wishful thinking on Kyuhyun’s part.

They were now in sight of Kyuhyun’s Hyundai Sonata when Uee’s phone rang.

“Oh, hi oppa!” Uee answered the phone and Kyuhyun’s stomach started to feel uneasy. A sixth sense was telling him that the person on the other side of the line was most probably the ninja boy who was avoiding him. “I’m here at the parking lot and…yes, our class finished early because we have another problem set…okay, I can wait for you but you need to hurry because I was about to leave with…oh, hi there!”

Kyuhyun almost jumped in shock. Uee was just chatting away on the phone with who he suspected was Siwon and now the boy was here in the flesh himself, a little out of breath. He looked like he had been running.

Siwon’s brisk pace suddenly slowed down as he caught sight of them and Kyuhyun refused to acknowledge the rising disappointment in his chest when he noticed that. It wasn’t his fault that Uee was with him, if Siwon had given her the chance, she would have told him that and he wouldn’t be reluctantly dragging his feet, probably because he didn’t want to see Kyuhyun.

“I’ll wait for you in the car,” Kyuhyun said as he turned to go.

“Wait, no,” Uee stopped him, “Aren’t you friends with Siwon-oppa?” she asked with a confused expression.

Friends? “Yeah, but I see him all the time anyway,” Kyuhyun tried to act nonchalant because Siwon was now upon them. He had an inscrutable expression on his face. “Besides, he looks like he hurried over to see you. That usually means he needs to tell you something in private,” Kyuhyun winked playfully and waved goodbye in Siwon’s general direction. He willed himself to walk casually to his car and get in.

It was fortunate that he hadn’t parked the car in reverse so he couldn’t see Siwon and Uee talking unless he turned around in his seat. Of course, he had a nice view if he watched from his rear view mirror but he took out his phone and looked intently down into it. Never mind that he was just actually staring at it. It was that or giving in and watching the two from the side mirror.

Uee finally knocked on the passenger door after some minutes and Kyuhyun let her in. Siwon was never brought up. Not during the ride, not during their tutoring session and not during when they finished and were just lingering over their drinks.

It was when they stood up to leave that Uee said, “Oh before I forget, are you free this Saturday night?”

Depends if I’m still sober after our Kyu-line session. Kyuhyun mentally shook himself, “I usually have something on Saturday afternoons,” from the way he said it, it sounded like he had a part-time job or volunteer work. Not a drinking and gaming session. “Why?”

“There’s a party Saturday night at Siwon’s place. I’m hoping you can come.”

Kyuhyun tried not to scowl. Then how come you’re the one inviting people. Is it your and Siwon’s house? He forced a smile, “Don’t tell me you need an ? Besides, Siwon might not be expecting me.” It was the closest way to hint that the one who was holding the party should be the one to invite him. And his stomach dropped at the thought that Siwon was certainly not going to do that.

Uee smiled, “Oh, that’s definitely not the case. Siwon-oppa insisted that I should be the one to invite you so you can’t refuse. I told him that if his own friend refuses to attend his party, then it means his party is probably boring,” Uee jokingly said.

Kyuhyun just laughed and returned the smile. So. It looks like he was going then.

*************

“What is this about?” Ryeowook rolled his eyes as Kyuhyun paced around his friend’s room. It was Friday afternoon and Ryeowook was about to go out when Kyuhyun turned up on his door and said that he had a very serious announcement to make.

Kyuhyun continued to pace. He didn’t know if this was a good idea but he needed to tell somebody and among his friends, Changmin and Ryeowook were his closest confidants. He actually had a class with Changmin earlier but he couldn’t tell Changmin. Not when Changmin had on more than numerous occasions repeated his “I don’t love men” line. And while he was pretty sure his friend wasn’t going to hate him, the thing he had to say was probably going to go more well over with Ryeowook than with Changmin the first time around.

Kyuhyun stopped his pacing and looked at Ryeowook squarely who had an eyebrow raised questioningly. He cleared his throat and said quite seriously, “I think I may have gay tendencies.” 

Ryeowook didn’t change his expression, the eyebrow just got higher as he said mockingly, “You think?”

“Huh?”

“God, Kyuhyun. For someone who’s supposedly smart, you sure can be quite dense or even blind sometimes,” Ryeowook retorted as he stood up and continued his interrupted hair combing at the vanity table. “I got the full story from Minho and duh, what did you think? That you willingly agreed to seduce another male because it’s proof that you’re definitely straight?”

Kyuhyun for once, was at a loss for a comeback, “Well no. But I thought…that is, since it was a game, that it was all for silly fun. I mean, it wouldn’t be as fun if I just asked out a girl. And Siwon is so…” Kyuhyun groaned and sank down on the bed, hands covering his face. “You’re right. I’m stupid.”

Ryeowook grinned. It was very rare for Kyuhyun to admit to him being right and looking like the fool. It was usually the other way around. He wanted to gloat further but knew that the situation was serious so his voice softened as he said, “I think you didn’t realize it sooner because you were hiding in denial.”

Kyuhyun looked up at that and he frowned at his friend’s words. He didn’t have anything against homouality and surely he wasn’t afraid of getting rejected by his family and friends, and to him, they were the people who mattered. Even if he treated them like his lowly minions sometimes but anyway, that was neither here nor there.

“Denial? Surely not. I’ve always been honest with myself and it’s not as if my parents won’t be able to accept it.”

Ryeowook shook his head, “Not that denial, silly. I mean you were probably fighting to accept the fact that you’re attrac-…”

The door burst open and Changmin entered the room noisily with loud steps and crying out, “Wookie! I can’t take it anymore! I need to tell yo-… Huh, Kyu? What are you doing here?”

Ryeowook just smiled wryly, “Let me guess. You just found out you’re gay too?”

Changmin turned to him with troubled eyes, “How did you know? Was it obvious all this time? Why didn’t I see it? But well, I’m still attracted to girls so maybe I’m biual? I don’t know,” Changmin stopped babbling as he too sank down on the bed beside Kyuhyun and took a pillow and hugged it with the most forlorn expression on his face. Then he straightened up, “Hey wait, you said too! Does that mean…” his voice trailed off as he turned to Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun just nodded and Changmin’s mouth wordlessly formed the word “oh”.

“So girlfriends! What do you intend to do now?” Ryeowook asked in a chirpy voice, grinning.

The two boys looked at him disgustedly, “Talk like that one more time and I’ll hurt you,” Kyuhyun growled while Changmin glared.

Ryeowook wasn’t fazed though and went on grooming himself. After a few moments of silence, Kyuhyun suddenly stood up and he was now smirking. Changmin looked at him questioningly, “Kyu?”

“I don’t know about you but our charm battle just got a lot more interesting for me.”

Changmin slowly mirrored his friend’s face. He began to realize that it was true. There were no more inhibitions, no more reservations, no more self-consciousness at what he was doing. He knew what he wanted and he felt…free.

Changmin chuckled as a new plan formed in his mind. He was going to return the favour of annoying Yunho but in a different way. Instead of Yunho wanting to punch him because of frustration, he was going to make darn sure that he was frustrated by something else. He his lips.

“Alright, tomorrow, I’m going to announce my new found uality at our Kyu-line meeting,” Changmin said excitedly as he stood up.

Kyuhyun glared at him, “No way!”

“What do you mean ‘no way’? You don’t think our friends are going to turn their backs on me, do you?” Changmin was shocked because he couldn’t believe it and Ryeowook also looked at Kyuhyun in surprise.

Kyuhyun just snarled, “No way are you going to announce that you’re gay before I do. I’m still the leader and I get to announce that I’m gay first!” and with that, he tossed back his head and exited the room.

------------

A/N: Posting the rest of the chapters I have on LJ to here. I kinda forgot that I hadn't finished posting them *headdesk* and also, was busy with other stuff, sorry! Thank you to the new subscribers and comments, I really appreaciate them ^.^