Four

Angels Do Exist

---Lay’s Last Day---

“Mama!” Lina called. “Yixing took my blue sweater, and he won’t give it back!”

Mrs. Zhang sighed, “Yixing, give your sister her sweater back.”

Lay poked his head out from his room, “I didn’t take it!” he smiled sweetly at Lina. “Maybe you left it on top of the washer.”

Lina squinted her eyes at him and ran to the laundry room. She opened it and found her sweater on the washer.

But the bottle of liquid detergent had ‘accidentally’ been spilled on top of it.

“YIXING!” Lina screamed as she grabbed her sweater and put the detergent away.

Lay heard her and ran into his room.

“ZHANG YIXING!” Lina screamed.

Mama looked up from the newspaper she was reading, “Calm down, child! What are you screaming about?”

“Look at what Yixing did to my sweater!” she showed her mom the detergent-stained sweater.

“It might have been an accident, dear.”

*Accident, my !* Lina thought as she stormed over to Lay’s room.

“YAH! ZHANG YIXING! OPEN THE DOOR, NOW!”

“Sorry!” Lay said. “I’m changing, so I’d rather not!” He looked at the door that connected their rooms. Mrs. Zhang had given them the option of having the door removed, for privacy. But Lay and Lina were fine with it. There wasn’t any need to cause extra trouble, the door didn’t bother them.

And right now, Lay was really happy that the door existed. He opened it and ran into Lina’s room. He used her door to sneak into the kitchen.

“Yixing? Yixing?!” Lina was banging her fist against the door.

“Zhang Lina! Stop that banging! The neighbours will complain!” Mrs. Zhang said from the table.

“Yeah, Lina.” Lay appeared behind her. “Stop that banging.”

Lina turned around and chased them around their whole apartment. “YOU STUPID-”

“Ah, ah ,ah. Control your language.” Lay reminded, he was able to outrun Lina by a lot because he had much longer legs.

“UGH!” she threw her sweater at him. She stomped into her room and slammed the door shut.

Mrs. Zhang gave her son a look, “You shouldn’t bother her so much, you know.”

Lay smiled and put an arm around his mother, “But it’s what brings joy to my life~” he said blissfully. Mrs. Zhang laughed at how seriously he said that. Lay took Lina’s sweater and put it in the laundry, he would wash it later.

In her room, Lina was brushing her hair and cursing Lay in her mind. *Annoying, stupid twin who’s always 2 steps ahead of me. Grrrrr.*

Lay whistled and opened the door to her room. He was fully dressed and ready to go to school. Whereas Lina had just started combing her hair and still needed to change into her uniform.

“’Sup Lina~!” he said, plopping himself on her bed.

Lina ignored him, and started combing her hair more viciously.

“How do you use this?” Lay picked up her mascara and opened it. He tried to put it in his eyes and poked himself. “Ouch!” he held his eye and put the mascara down. “This is a safety hazard! It should be removed from this apartment!”

Lina continued to give him the silent treatment.

Lay grinned and stood behind her, he out his head on her shoulder. “You can’t stay mad at me forever~~~~”

Lina ignored him and walked away. She took her uniform and then went into the bathroom to change.

Lay went into the kitchen to get something to eat.

“Mama!” he called. “Do we have any chips?”

“Good Lord, Yixing! Who eats chips for breakfast?” Mrs. Zhang said incredulously.

“Meeeeeeee,” Lay smiled as he poked his head out of the kitchen. “So do we have any?”

“Yes, but not for you to eat right now. Eat a granola bar or cereal.” Mrs. Zhang said in a strict voice.

Lay pouted but decided to take a granola bar. He went into the living room and sat down on the sofa. Lina came out of the bathroom, tucking in the shirt of her uniform.

“HIII LINA~!” Lay said, waving at her.

Lina ignored him again. Lay followed her into her room when she went to get her bag and textbook.

“You’re going to have to talk to me sooner or later.” Lay said. Lina remained quiet. Lay frowned, he enjoyed bothering Lina but never liked it when she got mad at him.

“AHHH!” Lay screamed as he tackled her onto her bed. Lina screamed as well and tried to wiggle out of Lay’s grip. Lay began tickling her and soon she was laughing hysterically.

“S-Stop!” she said in between giggles.

“First say that you’re not mad at me and that you’ll talk to me!” he commanded.  

“O-Okay!” she gasped.

Lay smiled, happy that he had won. Lina sat up and gave her brother a look.

“You’re breaking your promise!” Lay pointed a finger at her. He tried to tickle her again but Lina protected herself, “I didn’t say I was mad!”

“Thought so.”

The two of them exited Lina’s room and went to the kitchen. Lina looked through the cupboards and pouted, “Awww, no more granola bars?”

“You can have mine.” Lay threw her his half-eaten one.

“Ou, thanks Xinging!” Lina caught it and cheerfully finished it.

Mrs. Zhang watched them from the table and smiled to herself. *My little unicorns.*

♥♥

It was the end of the day and Lina was at her locker, putting her things away. Amber had been away that day, she had caught a cold.

“Lina!” Lay called from the other end of the hall. Lina ducked her head in embarrassment *He’s so loud!*

“I’m going straight to the studio.” He said arriving at her locker.

“Why?” Lina asked. “At least come home and say hi to Mama.”

Lay shook his head, “There’s a competition coming up, and I have to prepare for it. Tell Mama I’ll come home later.”

“Okay then.” She said. “When are you coming home?”

Lay shrugged, “I don’t know.”

“Don’t come home late, Mama gets worried then.” Lina reminded. Lay nodded, “Okay, I’ll see you later!” he ran away waving.

“Bye Xinging!” Lina called after him.

Lina wouldn’t see him later. Well, not the way she would expect to see him.

♥♥

Lay plopped onto the floor in his own pool of sweat. He breathed hard as he reached for his water bottle. Henry had left 2 hours ago and Lay had decided to stay at the studio. He was covered head to toe in sweat and every muscle in his body ached, but he wouldn’t stop. That was how much he loved dancing. He checked the time as he drank his water. It was almost 8:00.

*I guess I’ll go home now.*

He wiped his forehead and gathered his things. He exited the run down studio that he loved. Lina didn’t understand why he loved this studio so much. It was old and run down, there was no sign of life in that area, and yet Lay loved it there. But she respected the fact that Lay enjoyed dancing there, he said that he felt at peace and that he felt that it was just him and music.

Lay walked to the intersection that came between his home and the studio. He stretched as he waited for the signal to allow him to cross the street. Finally, the light turned green and Lay started walking when the cars halted.

The cars had halted. But one motorcyclist hadn’t. Lay had his hands in his pockets and was looking ahead, not noticing the speeding motorcycle.

But when he did notice, it was too late.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I changed the title/poster~!

Thanks BambooPillows~! :D