Three

Angels Do Exist

---Mother’s day---

Lay and Lina were sleeping peacefully in their rooms with their hands under their faces. They were in their own rooms, but there was a door that was in between the two, just in case they got scared at night and needed their twin.

Lina’s eyes slowly opened. She looked around in excitement.

She jumped out of her bed, throwing her blanket on the floor. She opened the door that led to her brother’s room and flung it open. She jogged to where Lay was sleeping.

“Xingxing!” she whispered excitedly as she shook him.

“Xingxing!” she whispered again as she shook him harder.

“Mmmm?” her brother said groggily, rubbing his eyes.

“Wake up! It’s mother’s day! We have to prepare a surprise for mama!” she said as she removed her brother’s blanket.

“Oh,” Lay sat up and got out of bed as well. The two seven-year-olds waddled out of the room and into the bathroom, where they quickly brushed their teeth and washed their faces. Their tiny little feet carried them to the kitchen in their pj’s.

“Do you have your card ready?” Lina asked. “Mine’s is in my room.”

“Yeah, everything is ready. We just need cake.” Lay said, nodding his head.

“How do we make cake?” Lina asked him.

“Easy.” Lay said, walking toward a pantry. “Mix a bunch of ingredients and put it in the oven. Then you add frosting and sprinkles!”

“Ouuu! Sprinkles!” Lina said as her eyes sparkled. “But wait… we’re not allowed to use the oven.”

“Don’t worry, when Mama sees what a good job we did of the cake, she’ll forget about the oven.” Lay assured her.

“I don’t know…” Lina said unsurely.

“Come on!” Lay grabbed her shoulders and looked at her. “Do you want to make Mama a cake and give her the best mother’s day ever, or not?!”

Lina stared at him and then nodded rapidly.

“Good.” Lay let go of her shoulders. “Now let’s get started before Mama wakes up.”

“When will she wake up?” Lina asked, looking at the clock.

“I don’t know, what time is it?” Lay said, following her eyes.

“I don’t know. I can’t read a clock!” Lina rolled her eyes.

“Well then let’s hurry up and start so we can hurry up and finish and hurry up and surprise mama and hurry up and give her the best mother’s day!” Lay pumped his fist and the two Zhang twins got started.

“I can’t reach the cupboard!” Lina said, as she tried to reach for the top pantry.

“Here, get on my shoulders.” Lay said, helping her hoist herself on his shoulders. They wobbled a bit, but Lina grabbed onto the pantry door and opened it.

“There’s no ingredients in here!” Lina said. “Go to the next one!”

Lay moved to the side, but swayed too much and fell.

“AAHHH!” they toppled to the floor and brought down a bunch of dishes with them.

They sat up with wide eyes. Then they ran to their mother’s room. Lay cautiously peeked in. Then he sighed a sigh of relief. “She’s asleep, let’s go back!”

They scurried to the kitchen and found the ingredients they needed for the cake, or the ingredients that they thought they needed.

“We need eggs!” Lina said as he went to the fridge. She took the pack out and grabbed an egg.

“How do we crack this?” Lina asked, scratching her head.

Lay smiled mischievously and took the egg. “Like this.”

And he smashed it on her head.

Lina’s eyes widened and she glared at him. “You’re going to pay for that!” and she smashed an egg on his head.

Lay narrowed his eyes at her and grabbed the bag of baking powder. He opened it and threw some at her.

Lina glared at him again and took frosting out of the fridge. Then she smeared it all over his face.

“Urrrgghh!!” Lay growled and took the frosting from her. He then painted a nice design on her face with the chocolate frosting.

Their food fight continued until the kitchen was a mess and all the pots and pans were on the floor.

After a big, ~BANG!~ the Zhang twins’ mother came in, looking tired and half-asleep. She gasped with wide eyes as she looked at the mess in the kitchen and her two children, covered head to toe in different ingredients. Pots and pans were spilled everywhere and the two siblings were glaring at each other.

“W-What happened in here?!” their mother said, bewildered.

“He started it!”

“No, she started it!”

“Nu uh!”

“Yu huh!”

“Nu uh!”

“Yu-”

“That’s enough.” Their mother said. She looked at both of them. “What were you two trying to do?”

They both looked down guiltily and remained quiet for a few minutes.

“We wanted to make a mother’s day surprise for you….” Lina started.

“So we decided to make a cake.” Lay continued. “But Lina messed up and then this mess was created.”

“Me?! It was your fault!”

“Nu uh.”

“Yu huh.”

“Nu uh.”

“Yu huh-”

“Stop!” their mother held her hand up. She bent down to their level. “I appreciate the fact that you two wanted to do something special for me. But you didn’t need to make this big mess. Look at the two of you!” she exclaimed. “You look like a bunch of wild monkeys!” she laughed. Then she took both of their hands. “Let’s go wash the two of you up. Then we can clean this mess up.”

The two twins nodded obediently, feeling guilty for not only not making the cake or a big surprise for their mother, but because they had just given her extra work to do.

“Then after,” she continued. “We can make a cake together.”

Lay and Lina smiled. “We’ll go to the bathroom!”

Mrs. Zhang smiled at her two children, her pride and joy in this life.

She washed both of them and told them to change their clothes. Then she started cleaning up and soon, Lay and Lina joined her. Together, they cleaned the mess up in about an hour and a half.

“Mommy!” Lina said, peering into the oven. “When is the cake going to be ready?”

“In about 30 minutes.” Replied Mrs. Zhang.

“What time will that be on the clock?” she asked.

“11:00.”

“….. What’s 11:00?” Lina and Lay blinked.

“Come here.” Mrs. Zhang beckoned them to the clock. “Have you started to learn how to tell time at school?”

The two of them shook their heads. “Mr. Wu said we’re starting it in a couple of weeks, after we learn about numbers.” Lina told her.

“Okay well, see the big hand? When that is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 11, that means its 11:00.” Mrs. Zhang explained. “So when it’s 11:00 that means the cake is ready.”

Lay and Lina obediently nodded. “Ohhh, okay.”

“Now,” Mrs. Zhang straightened up. “I’m going to take a shower and wash up. Stay here and don’t create any mischief, alright? Just sit here and watch your cartoons,” She instructed, putting the TV on for them.

Lay and Lina nodded. As soon as their mother left, the two of them shut the TV off and went to their rooms to get their cards.

“’Mama said to stay put though!” Lina whispered.

“Yeah, but we need our cards! That’s the least we can do to surprise her!” Lay said.

Lina shrugged and went to her room. She took her card out from under her pillow. *I hope Mama likes it! I added lots of sparkles!* she thought as she looked at her sparkle-filled card. Literally, sparkle filled.

On the other side of the door, Lay took his card from his basket of dirty clothes. *Lina said to put lots of sparkles, because girls like sparkles. She better be right! I didn’t get my hands all girly and glittery for nothing!*

They got their cards and went back to the living room. They placed their cards in their laps and resumed watching TV.

Mrs. Zhang came out of the bathroom and peeked at them. They were silently watching TV. She went into the kitchen and took the cake out of the oven. It was vanilla and the icing was chocolate.

“Kids!” she called. “The cake is ready! Come here so that we can decorate!”

The Zhang twins scurried into the kitchen and sat at the kitchen table with their knees on the chair. Mrs. Zhang brought the cake and they began icing and decorating it.

At the end of ten minutes, a cute cake was sitting on the table.

“Waaah!! I think we did a good job!” Lina exclaimed.

“Me too.” Lay agreed.

Mrs. Zhang nodded as well. Lay and Lina looked at themselves and nodded. They took their cards out.

“Happy Mother’s Day, Mama!”

~~

---Just Another Day---

16-year-old Lay jogged to Lina’s locker at lunch. She was talking to her best friend, Amber.

“Lina!” he called. Lina looked at him, “Yeah?”

“Why do you seem so disappointed? You’re not happy to see your beloved brother?!” he gasped, feigning hurt. “Hi Amber.”

“Hi Yixing.”

“What do you need?”

“Can’t I just come here to say hi?” Lay blinked.

“No.”

Lay grinned. “You know me too well, sis~!” he punched her arm. “I need $5.”

“Why?” Lina asked, taking out her wallet.

“I forgot my money for lunch at home.” He said sheepishly.

Lina rolled her eyes. “Here.” she said as she handed him the money.

“Thanks, cookie~!” he said, giving her a biiiiiiig hug, just to bother her.

“Okay okay.” Lina wiggled in her brother’s strong grip.

Amber laughed at the two. They didn’t always get along, but at the end of the day they really cared for one another.

Lay let go of her and Henry, Lay’s best friend, came over. “Yixing! The dance studio is free for lunch, and Ms. Yang said we can dance there if we want!” he said excitedly.

“Really?! LET’S GO!” Lay ran off to the dance studio. Henry waved goodbye to Lina and Amber and ran after Lay.

“Eat your lunch first!!” Lina yelled after him.

“Yeah yeah!”

Lina shook her head. “He loves dancing way too much.”

“That’s not a bad thing.” Amber said as they walked to their usual lunch spot. “He’s good too.”

Lina nodded. Lay had a real passion for dancing. He wanted to be a professional dancer, and had even done some performances at school. There was an abandoned dance studio close to where they lived, and Henry and Lay would dance there sometimes. Henry had a real talent for dancing as well. The two of them would spend most of their free time dancing there or their school’s dance teacher would allow them to use the one in their school.

They sat down at their tree to eat lunch. It was a tall maple oak tree, and Lina and Amber always hung out there at lunch. Lay and Henry would join them too, and Lay and Lina would end up squabbling.

“Where’s my cookie?” Lina said, as she dug through her bag. Lina loved cookies, and always ate one at lunch. That was why Lay called her ‘cookie’

Amber shrugged, “Maybe you forgot it.” She took out her chicken burger and took a bite out of it.

Lina shook her head, “No, I asked Yixing to-” she cut herself off when she realized Lay had forgotten to put her cookie in her bag this morning when she asked him too. She couldn’t do it herself because she had been in a rush. Lay had turned her alarm clock off (again) and her mother had to wake her up 15 minutes before they had to leave.

“THAT BIG BUM!” Lina squinted her eyes as angry bubbles burst in her stomach. “Wait till I get my hands on him! First he turns my alarm clock off and now he forgets to put my cookie in my bag!”

Amber gave her a look, “Oh it up. It’s just a cookie, I’ll buy you one after school.”

Lina glared at her, “Since you said that, you better buy me a cookie! And the big kind!”

Amber shook her head, “Whatever.”

Lina took out her sandwich and examined it from the outside. *At least my sandwich is proper.*

She took a bite and almost spat it out. “WHAT IS THIS?!”

Amber stopped eating and looked at her. “Why? What’s in it?”

Lina took her sandwich apart. “Chicken, lettuce, mayo, the normal. EW! TOMATO! I hate tomatoes! And Mama knows that! Ew, is this tofu?! Bleh! And what, pickles?! OH. MY. GOD. PINEAPPLE?!” she laid out all the ingredients on the plastic wrap that the sandwich was wrapped in. she pounded her fist in her hand. “Only one person would sabotage my lunch!”

Amber raised her eyebrows. “Wow, Yixing really knows how to get on your nerves.” She commented.

“YA THINK?!” Lina screamed. “What do I eat now?” she pouted.

“You can have half of my burger.” Amber suggested, holding it out.

Lina shook her head, “Nahh, I’ll just drink my juice and cheese and crackers. When Yixing gets here, he is dead! Ruining my food, taking my cookie, turning off my alarm clock, taking my money.” She grumbled. Yup, this was daily life for the Zhang twins. Bothering each other and getting on each other’s nerves, fighting, but ending up not being able to live without the other.

Amber shrugged, “Okaaay, but if he doesn’t come you’re buying something to eat.”

They talked and finished up what they were eating. Their lunch was an hour long, so now they had 45 minutes to do whatever.

“I brought my football.” Amber said, taking it out of her bag. “Wanna play?”

“Okay!” Lina agreed and stood up. They both moved away from the tree, leaving their bags on the grass. 

“Catch!” Amber threw the ball as Lina moved further away.

“Ouch!” yelped Lina, as the ball hit her head. She turned around and gave her best friend another glare.

“OOPS!” Amber smiled sheepishly. “Sorry!”

Lina got the ball and threw it back at Amber.

After 10 minutes, the two of them got bored and went back to their sitting positions at their tree. In the distance, they could see Lay and Henry coming. Lay appeared to be eating something.

“Why are they here so early?” Amber wondered.

“Ms. Yang probably forgot that there was some practice in there, so they had to leave. Or maybe Henry got tired or Lay got hungry.” Lina said.

Lay and Henry came closer and Henry said, “Hi girls!”

Lina waved and Amber said ‘Hi’ back. Lay greeted Amber and completely ignored Lina as both of them sat down.

“Yah!” Lina yelled. “You forgot my cookie!”

“Oh, you mean this cookie?” Lay blinked innocently as he held the cookie out, but then he grinned.

Lina’s mouth dropped open, “You stole my cookie?!” she screeched.

“Stole, took, found, accidentally appeared in my bag. Call it what you want~” Lay said, finishing the cookie.

“AND YOU RUINED MY LUNCH! I’M STARVING, I DIDN’T EVEN HAVE TIME TO EAT BREAKFAST!” Lina yelled, hitting Lay on the arm.

“Did it taste good? I was experimenting.” Lay wiggled his eyebrows. Lay had a very innocent face and his poker faces were the best. He could be a very lost boy sometimes, but other times he was mischievous, sneaky, and a real prankster. His favourite hobby was bothering Lina.

Lina glared at him, and was going to throw a punch, when Lay held his hands up. “Whoah! Easy there, cookie monster! What kind of a older brother would I be if I let my sister starve through lunch?” he said in a sweet, nice voice that did not trick Lina. He took a perfect sandwich from his bag. “Here.”

Lina slowly took it, giving Lay the evil eye. She opened it and examined the sandwich thoroughly.

Lay laughed at her reaction, “There’s nothing in it, promise.”

“You promised me you wouldn’t prank me anymore, but you still do that. So I don’t believe you.” Lina said. After inspecting it she took a bite.

“Good?” Lay asked.

Lina nodded. Lay ruffled her hair, “Now don’t be mad at gege, okay?”

“You’re 2 minutes older than me!” Lina exclaimed. “You’re not that much older!”

Lay shrugged, “I’m still older, and nothing can change that fact. Whether it’s two years or two seconds or two minutes, I’m older.” He smiled. Lina rolled her eyes.

“Why’d you guys come here? Was the dance room closed?” Amber asked, playing with the grass.

“No, the stereo broke.” Henry answered.

“How?”

“It stopped working in the middle.” Lay said. “And it’s no fun unless the music is really loud.”

Lina finished her sandwich and they all decided to play another game of catch, this time with different rules. Lunch flew by after that and soon, it was time for class again. Henry and Amber’s lockers were in a different hallway from Lay and Lina’s, so they went their separate ways.

Lay’s locker 3 lockers away from Lina’s. He quickly opened his locker and got his things.

Lina on the other hand, was having come trouble opening her lock. Lay looked at her, “What’s wrong?”

Lina, not suspecting a thing, scratched her head, “It’s not opening.”

“Move aside.” Lay said and he tried opening the lock. But it wouldn’t open no matter how many times he spun Lina’s combo.

There were now 2 minutes left until class. Lina panicked, “I’ve never been late before! Never, not once in all my high school life! That can’t change now! open you stupid lock!” she yelled at the lock. “I have class upstairs, I need to go!” she was panicking now. Not only because she had never been late, but because her teacher was very strict about being on time. If she came late, she would receive a good scolding!

Lay stood there for 10 seconds, then he took a piece of paper out of his pocket. “Here.” he gave her the paper and ran off.

Lina looked at it, and there was a combo written on it. Her eyes widened *He switched my lock!* “ZHANG YIXING!!!!!” Lay turned around, smiled at her, and made a heart with his hands. “LOVE YOU TOO, COOKIE!”

Lina quickly spun the lock using the right numbers. She grabbed her books and dashed up the stairs. She got into class 2 seconds before the bell rang.

Her teacher gave her a disapproving look, “That was very close Miss Zhang, it better not get closer.”

Lina nodded and curled her fists. *Zhang Yixing, you drive me crazy!*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hiiiii!

Hehe, it's been a while

Sorry 'bout that ^_^ But I'll do a double update today~!

Oh and this is part one of the flashback, part two will be the next chapter.

I've written it all, I just have to edit it so give me a couple of minutes (:

I'm also changing the title of this fic to 'Angels Do Exist' as soon as the poster is finished~!

Cuz it would be weird if the poster said one thing and the title was different

That's all I have to say~!

BYEBYEEEEE :D