The Quest

The Mushroom Princess

 

A/N: Just before you start, I'd like to present vallorpie with a cookie for correctly guessing the name of the movie - Shrek! The first one of course. And then cookies to all of you who read, subscribe and comment just because I love you all. :)

 

---

 

“What kind of a trade?” Amber asked cautiously.

 

“I’ll just show you, it’ll be easier to understand,” the King said. He snapped his fingers together and commanded, “Bring it in!”

 

Amber and Taeyeon observed several armoured men lugging in a large object covered in a brown, rough looking sack. They hung it upon a large metal hook dangling next to the King’s throne and yanked off the potato sack, revealing a long, oval-like mirror. The pair both let out an astonished gasp, not bothering to hide their amazement as a white mask materialized out of smoke inside the mirror.

 

“Mirror mirror on the wall, is this not the most perfect kingdom of them all?” the King asked, unfazed by the face’s sudden appearance.

 

“Well, I told you this already, but technically, you’re not a king,” it frowned.

 

“And how do I become a king, a ruler of my land?”

 

“You can become one by marrying a princess.”

 

“Good. Now show me the princess I selected a while ago,” the King commanded carelessly.

 

“Prince Nich-“

 

“Silence! I will not have you reveal my precious name to these… people,” the King growled.

 

The mask made a face, but continued. “Prince, you’ve chosen Princess Hwang.”

 

Taeyeon gazed at it in wonder as it willingly morphed itself into the image of a beautiful, young woman. She had flaming red hair, cascading lusciously all over her shoulders and down her back. She leaned on the stone windowsill and rested her chin upon one delicate looking hand while smiling dreamily out of her window with two beautiful looking brown eyes. Her fragile, pale shoulders bore a light pink, silky looking dress and a tiny golden tiara on her soft hair.

 

“Princess… Hwang,” the King mumbled to himself. “She’s perfect.”

 

“But I probably should mention the little thing that happens at night.”

 

“It doesn’t matter.”

 

“Yes, but after sunset-“

 

“Quiet! I will make her my queen, and my kingdom will finally have the perfect king!” the King shouted gleefully, and the mirror fell silent with a reproachful expression. “Now take it away.”

 

The guards reversed their previous actions and covered the mirror up with its sack before carrying it back to wherever they took it from.

 

“So… what’s this got to do with us?” Amber asked.

 

“And I thought you would have been a little quicker, Amber-ssi,” the King, or rather, Prince chuckled mirthlessly.

 

“No, I get it. You want us to get her,” Amber said. “But why us? Why not get one of your men to do the job?”

 

“We both know you’re the best at martial arts in this kingdom and also, simply because I cannot afford to lose one of my men should this mission go badly.”

 

“So you’re saying we’re expendable people, is that it?” Amber stated angrily.

 

“Well…” he smirked. “Point being that if you go rescue my Princess Hwang for me, then I will order my men to leave your house, blondie.”

 

“I can’t believe you… Fine!” Amber burst out. “We’ll go rescue your Princess, and her house had better still be standing when we get back, you hear me?”

 

He laughed. “Of course, Amber-ssi. Of course. Now go, begone from my sight.”

 

Amber took Taeyeon’s hand and dragged her back out the hallway and through the dark corridor before they finally emerged in the bright sunlight. She turned to the guards and bowed. “Thanks for letting us in before, B. Have a good day.”

 

They started walking back towards Amber’s house. A few moments passed in silence before Taeyeon decided to speak up.

 

“So… are we really doing this, Amber?” she asked timidly.

 

“Of course! Well, I know I will, noona,” Amber replied strongly. “I’ll do whatever I can to help you keep your house. You don’t have to come if you don’t want to.”

 

“No Amber, you’re being too generous. It’s my house, I should fight for it too,” Taeyeon said determinedly.

 

“Now we just gotta break the news to my family,” Amber chuckled.

 

---

 

“But you can’t go!” Victoria wailed. “You’re my baby, mei-mei!”

 

“But jie-jie, this is for Taeyeon,” Amber said gently, trying to prise Victoria’s grip from her clothes. “I need to help her or else her house is gone. She can’t live with us, you found out how much she loves her house yesterday.”

 

“But… but… what if you run into dangers? People, animals, bugs-“

 

“Vic-umma, I think you should let hyung go this time,” Sulli unexpectedly assured Victoria. “She’s going to come back safe and sound… she’s hyung! Nothing will happen to her.”

 

“I’ll look after your llama as best as I can, Victoria-unnie,” Taeyeon tried. “Besides, you know she has all those cool karate moves!”

 

“Taekwondo,” Amber corrected her automatically.

 

“Whatever. I’m sure she can take of herself, unnie. I’m also really grateful to her for even offering to accompany me on this ridiculous quest, and I promise I’ll bring her back in one piece.”

 

Victoria, eyes all watery looking, gazed into Taeyeon’s own brown orbs.  Unflinchingly, Taeyeon held the staring contest until her own eyes felt dry, like all the moisture had evaporated from it. Victoria finally let out a defeated sigh.

 

“Alright Amber, you can go with her, but promise me you’ll come back safely, okay?”

 

“Of course, jie-jie, anything,” Amber mumbled, relieved by the fact that Victoria had finally acquiesced. “I’ll be back before you know it!”

 

She enveloped Sulli and Victoria in a giant bear hug, and Taeyeon couldn’t help but smile at the sight of this caring family.

 

“Taeyeon, come here too,” Victoria ordered her. Wordlessly, the blonde felt herself melt into the warm embraces of the three girls. She could feel that Victoria was unwilling to let go, but she did after a few seconds, albeit reluctantly.

 

“I love you, jie-jie. You too, Sul,” Amber grinned as she ruffled Sulli’s hair lovingly. “I’ll be back soon!”

 

“Thank you so much for letting me borrow this llama for a few days,” Taeyeon said gratefully.

 

“It’s okay, unnie,” Sulli smiled. “Come back safely you guys!”

 

And so, the two girls set off on their adventure to find the beautiful Princess Hwang.

 

---

 

A/N: ...I find it amusing at the way I manage to half the size of each chapter I post up ;____;" I'm really sorry guys, but it's because it's sorta hard to find good places to stahp ):

I'll try and update soon. Meanwhile, subscribe and comment please! <3