Final

Homecoming?

 

Day before Homecoming

It was lunch at Seoul’s Academy of the Arts. In the lunch area, people flocked the café as others claimed tables for their friends. Minjung sighed tiredly as she scanned the open area until her eyes landed on the area of tables in between the vocal and dance department. A small smile adorned from her face as her group of friends waved her over.

“YAH PANDA! HURRY UP AND GET YOUR OVER HERE!” CL, one of her best friends exclaimed.

Minjung smiled in amusement as she made her way towards the group of ten and Minzy, the youngest of the group of friends, slapped CL at the back of the head and clicked her tongue.

“As you can see, she already spotted us unnie, no need to yell across an open area. Now everyone is staring at us.” Minzy muttered before returning her attention back to her phone.

“Jung-ah, what time is the practice today?” Dara asked as the latter set down her things and sat down between Minzy and Sunggyu.

Minjung shrugged and said, “Park-seonsaengnim said that tonight’s practice is from after school to eight-thirty at night.”

“Oh? Didn’t last year’s practice end at eleven or something?” Bom asked as she nibbled on her corn.

Grabbing a fry off of Sunggyu’s plate, she nodded and said, “This year they’re shortening the time since there were a lot of complaints from the parents for having their child stay so late.”

“What are we going to do today, Chubby Cheeks?” Sungyeol asked.

She eyed her group of friends and sighed tiredly, “Dongwoo and I will finish up teaching you guys the guys and girls pieces for the lip-sync performance. Since our theme is American pop for the rally, we have some ideas up our sleeves.”

Dongwoo laughed out loud and said, “You guys are going to die by the end of tonight. We’re not going to stop drilling you guys until everything is perfect.”

Infinite and 2NE1 groaned as the two smiled evilly and wriggled their eyebrows at the same time. Sunggyu looked up in thought as he sighed and said, “At least, since it’s our senior year we’ll be most in favor. Plus, we got the best planning our performance: Minzy, Minjung, Dongwoo, and Hoya.”

Everyone nodded their heads in agreement and Woohyun said, “You know, a lot of people have high expectations for us since we are the Queenkas and Kingkas of our school. Plus, we have the school’s best dancers doing the choreography.”

Minjung scoffed and reached over the table before punching him in the arm.

“Thanks, that doesn’t put even more pressure on us when the rally is tomorrow.”

He eyesmiled before ruffling her hair and said, “You know you love me~”

“Go jump off a cliff Nam Woohyun.” She growled.

He gasped before flinging himself onto Hoya who was busy listening to his music and cried, “I can’t do that Minnie~ or else my fans would be devastated.”

Hoya glared at Woohyun before pushing his greasy friend off of him and said, “But all of us here would be glad to get away from your cheesiness.”

Everyone erupted in laughter before nodding in agreement at Hoya’s remark. Woohyun pouted before looking around, noticing that Sungjong was missing.

“Has anyone seen Sungjong?” he asked.

“I think I saw him heading towards the Classical section after the bell rang.” Myungsoo replied.

“Oh! I see him, what is he doing?!” CL exclaimed as she pointed to where Sungjong was standing.

The whole group turned their attention towards the center of the lunch area where Sungjong approached a girl with a bouquet of flowers.

“OMO! Is our maknae asking Miyoung to Homecoming?!” Sungyeol exclaimed as he saw Sungjong pull out a small banner from his bag.

“D’awh~ he finally had the guts to do it~” Minjung gushed.

Sunggyu looked down at Minjung who was smiling proudly and asked, “What do you mean by that?”

She looked up at him and eyesmiled. “Sungjong asked me for some help on how to ask Miyoung to Homecoming. He was so scared last night, that I had to Skype him just to calm him.”

Sunggyu clicked his tongue and watched as Miyoung said yes and Sungjong spun her around.

“No wonder he was so jittery in Composition.” He muttered.

“GET SOME MAKNAE!” the YaDong couple exclaimed as the said person walked towards their table with a shining smile.

“We’re so proud of you!” Woohyun fake cried as he latched himself onto the maknae.

Sungjong rubbed his neck sheepishly before mouthing thanks to Minjung as his hyungs tackled him. Minjung gave him two thumbs up before sipping on her Starbucks Refresheners.

“D’awh~ looks like everyone has a Homecoming date except for me.” She joked.

 “You know you could always come with us, even without a date.” Bom suggested.

Minjung shrugged and said, “I wish I could, but Youngjae’s got me working the seven o’ clock shift at the café and I don’t see why I should go since my shift ends at midnight.”

“Duh~ ask her if you can get the night off! I mean it’s Homecoming of senior year! Of course you should go babo! You didn’t even go to the Homecoming dances since freshman year.” CL said.

She shrugged and looked at the time, “We’ll see, but I doubt that she’ll give me the night off. Anyways, I have to meet with Park-seonsaengnim to talk about a test I have to retake because of missing school last week.”

The group nodded in understanding as she gathered her things.

“Don’t forget to think about going to Homecoming, Jung-ah! We’ll all miss your hyper presence ~” Dongwoo pouted.

She rolled her eyes as an amused smile crept upon her face. “I promise I’ll get back to you on that oppa. Annyeong~”

The rest of them waved as they watched her disappear into the Vocal Department.

“You know, I really want Minjung-unnie to join us this year…” Minzy pouted.

Everyone agreed and sighed.

 “This is our senior year; I wish we could have everyone together.” Dara whined.

A cat-like smile crept upon CL’s face as a plan began to form in her mind. “Guys, I think I know a way we can get our panda to join us this year.”

She motioned for everyone to gather around her to tell them her plan. Once she was done, they began to high-five each other and smile brightly.

“Damn Chaerin! That’s an epic plan. But who’s going to be the other main star?” Hoya asked.

They all looked at each other before eyeing the person at the end of the table and smirked at the person. The person at the end of the table widened their eyes in realization and waved their hands in front of them rapidly.

“M-Me?! A-Andwae! She’ll never agree to me being her date!”

2NE1 smiled widely and shook their heads.

“You’re her date and that’s final~” Dara sang.

Infinite wolf-whistled and patted their member on the back.

“GET SOME SON!”

The latter shrunk down as a mild blush crept onto his face and bit his bottom lip.

I can’t believe my princess is going to be my date…

Day of Homecoming Game and Pep Rally

“Up next, we have the senior class with their lip-sync! Give it up for Sovereign! Sovereign is the group title that Minjung, 2NE1, and Infinite had thought up for their group because, well, seniors dominate. Anyways, give them some love!” Their class president, Yonghwa, announced.

Everyone in the gym went crazy as Minjung, 2NE1, and Infinite ran onto the floor to start their routine for the lip-sync. Word had spread around that this was the best routine they’d ever come up with. Adrenaline rushed through all of their veins as the music began and it was finally time to show the entire academy what their pride groups were able to do.

The first piece that they performed was choreographed by Hoya. The whole group danced to his routine to We In Da Club by Bow Wow. Once his piece was over, the guys ran off to the sides as the girls began to do their piece choreographed by Minjung. The whole male population began to holler at them as the girls began to dance to Okay by Usher. The way the girls danced so ily, put every male in a trance. But that didn’t stop the hype. All the girls died once they saw the piece that Dongwoo had choreographed for the guys. Everyone in the academy knew how much of a Chris Brown fan Dongwoo was and he definitely didn’t put his skills to waste when they danced to Wet the Bed by Chris Brown.  Right after was a collab piece choreographed by all four of the choreographers to With You by Chris Brown with only Dongwoo, Minzy, Minjung, Hoya, Myungsoo, and Sunggyu was the dancers. They closed up their lip-sync with Minzy’s piece to Lemme See by Usher. Once they were done with their performance, Minjung ran towards Dongwoo and jumped onto him.

“We did it! After all that hard work and drama, the lip-sync was a success!” she giggled.

He smiled his gummy smile as they both laughed out loud and the whole crew tackled the choreographers to the ground.

“Give it up once again for the seniors!” Yonghwa announced as everyone went back to their seats.

The whole gym erupted into screams and Sovereign smiled proudly.

“All that’s left is the Homecoming game and dance! We all hope to see you guys there tonight at the game!” the varsity soccer captain, Doojoon, exclaimed. 

Everyone was dismissed and Minjung headed towards her locker with everyone greeting her with compliments on their routine. She bowed to everyone and grabbed her things before checking her phone to see if her mother had contacted her about her father’s condition. Seeing that there was no text, she sighed dejectedly and closed her locker.

“What’s with the long face? We just danced our hearts out back there.” She heard someone say.

Minjung looked up to find Dongwoo leaning against the locker next to hers with an amused smile.

“Oh…Dongwoo, what are you doing here?” she asked.

He shrugged and smiled. “What? I can’t see my princess anymore?”

“I didn’t mean it like that… I thought you were going to hang out with Infinite right after the rally.” She pouted.

Dongwoo shook his head and ruffled her hair.

 “Actually, I wanted to ask you something. Would- hold that thought Dongwoo, I need to take this call.” Minjung interrupted as she saw her Mom’s caller ID.

He nodded in understanding before biting his bottom lip and looking around.

“Yeoboseyo?”

Jung-ah! Ppali! Your father has woken up from his coma and wants to see you!

Minjung’s eyes widened as she heard the news from her mom.

“J-JINJJA?! Omo, I’ll be right there.”

She turned towards Dongwoo who was looking at her in curiosity and hugged him with all her might as tears began to fall from her eyes.

“Y-Yah! Chubby Cheeks, why are you crying?!” Dongwoo asked as he hesitantly wrapped his arms around her delicate figure.

“A-Abeoji…” she sobbed.

“Wae? What’s wrong with Abeoji?”

She wiped her tears hastily and gave him an eyesmile. “He woke up!”

Dongwoo’s eyes widened at the news and hugged her before spinning her around.

“That’s great news! You should go there right now. I’m sure he’s waiting to see you.” He said softly as he brushed away the tears that kept falling.

Minjung hugged Dongwoo once more and said, “I should, huh? But what were you going to ask me?”

“O-Oh… That doesn’t matter right now, Abeoji needs you right now. I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

She eyed him suspiciously as he rubbed his neck sheepishly and nodded slowly.

“…Arasso… I’ll see you tomorrow then. Bye oppa!” Minjung said before sprinting towards her car.

Dongwoo let out a sigh of relief and looked after her disappearing figure. He leaned against the lockers and shook his head.

You were so close Dongwoo… Now CL’s going to kill me.

He groaned at the thought of the feisty leader of 2NE1 scolding him for ruining the plan.

God, help me.

Night of the Homecoming Dance

“Minjung-ah, aren’t you supposed to be out with your friends tonight?” her Eomma asked as she eyed her daughter lazily lying on the couch and munching on some chips.

Minjung shook her head and stuffed some more chips into as she watched the latest Running Man episode.

“Ani, I didn’t buy a ticket to the Homecoming dance since Youngjae supposedly assigned me for the seven o’ clock shift at the café, but she called me thirty minutes ago saying that I didn’t need to show up because her family came into town and decided to close the place up for the night.”

Her mother nodded and said, “Well don’t look so sad and do something productive! You’ve been on that couch since you woke up at noon.”

She pouted and said, “You know, you and Abeoji should go out and have a date. You guys need it.”

“FYI Jung-ah, your father still needs to rest. But, I think I should go visit him and feed him some home-cooked food. Knowing your father, he wouldn’t like the food the hospital would serve him.”

“Aish~ Abeoji is such a picky eater. Plus, don’t make fun of me and the couch. I actually ship this couple. There are no fights between the both of us whatsoever.”

Her mother smiled in amusement before heading up the stairs and said, “You’re such a silly girl~”

Minjung laughed out loud and said, “I got it from you, Eomma!”

Settling back onto the couch, she snuggled into her Doraemon blanket and giggled as Gwangsoo and Sukjin were the first ones out.

“D’awh~ poor Gwangsoo and Sukjin…”

As the episode continued to air and her mother left the house, her phone suddenly began to ring.

Haruui jageun teum saiedo~ Chomchomhi chaolla wae irido~ Seolleim gadeukhi naege tto~ Seumyeowa neon aryeonhi neon~ Sujupge neon~ (Infinite - In the Summer)

“Oh, Minkki, what’s up?” Minjung greeted as she answered the phone.

Oh, thank god you answered! Do you think you can get me some Double A batteries? I need it for my camera. Freaking Taemin-oppa was playing with my camera while we were setting up for the dance and the battery died.

She chuckled and said, “Your date was probably trying to get your attention, but sure. Let me just grab my keys and I’ll get you the batteries.”

Jinjja?! Gomawo unnie! Call me once you reach the academy, arasso?

“Neh~”

With that, the both of them hung up and she shook her head.

“Looks like I’m going out tonight.”

Shrugging to herself, she turned off the TV before grabbing her keys and slipped on a hoodie. Stopping by the convenience store down the street from the school, she bought a pack of Double A batteries and headed towards the school. Once she was there, she smiled at all the people making their way towards the gym.

“Oh look, it’s the shorty.” She heard someone say behind her as she looked for Minzy.

“Oh look, it’s the freakishly tall basketball player. What do you want Minho?”

Minho smiled in amusement and said, “Nothing, I just spotted a girl in sweats in front of the Homecoming dance. Then I find out that it’s just you Jung-ah.”

She shrugged and said, “Minzy needed batteries for her flash so I brought some for her. What are you doing in the parking lot, shouldn’t you be inside?”

“I’m waiting for Sulli. Anyways, I see Minzy coming out with Taemin. Let’s head towards them.”

The both of them walked towards the couple and Minjung tossed the pack of batteries towards Minzy who caught it with ease and eyesmiled at her.

“I saved your Minzy, you owe me.” Minjung said before sticking out her tongue.

Minzy shrugged and pointed towards Taemin as she inputted the batteries in her flash.

“Blame this guy, if he hadn’t played with my camera you didn’t have to come.”

Taemin pouted as and s his arms around her waist.

“I just wanted to get my jagiya’s attention~”

Minjung smirked at Minzy and asked, “Have the others arrived yet?”

She shook her head and said, “Nah, they’re going to be here in about thirty minutes.”

“Well we’re going to head inside…” Minho said as he guided Sulli towards the gym.

Minzy cursed as the walkie-talkie buzzed and Minjung heard someone yelling from the other line.

“Looks like that’s my cue to leave… See you guys on Monday.” Minjung saluted as she headed towards her car.

Once she was on her way home, she sighed.

Man… I wish I could go to Homecoming…

Shaking away the negative thoughts, she parked her car and headed up her driveway. When she was about to open the door, she noticed that the lights were on and remembered that she clearly turned off the lights before she left.

Is Eomma back already…?

Quickly unlocking the door, she entered her house to find the rest of 2NE1 sitting on her couch with their dates.

“What the are you guys doing here?! Shouldn’t you guys be at Homecoming?” she asked them.

They shrugged and Bom said, “We aren’t letting you miss Homecoming for your senior year. So, we bought you a ticket and got you a dress.”

Minjung frowned and said, “You guys didn’t have to waste your money on me.”

Dara smiled and stood up before guiding Minjung towards her room. “We wanted to, plus since it’s our last year, we want everyone to be there, which includes you Chubby Cheeks!”

CL nodded as she and Bom trailed behind Dara before pushing Minjung onto the chair in front of her vanity. “We’re going to make you beautiful for your date. Trust us; we got you covered this year.”

“A date? What do you mean you got me a date?! Yah! Lee Chaerin! This was your plan, wasn’t it?!”

“You got that right honey! Now close your eyes and relax! We’re going to make you the most beautiful princess tonight.”

An hour had passed as Bom, Dara, and Chaerin styled Minjung’s hair and make-up. When they were finishing up, Chaerin called Minjung’s date to start making their way towards her house.

“Are you ready to see yourself Jung-ah?” Bom smiled as she put the finishing touches onto Minjung’s hair and make-up.

She nodded hesitantly and said, “You guys didn’t really have to do this for me… I mean the Homecoming tickets are fifty dollars per person plus the dress you got me would probably be roughly around one hundred to sixty dollars. I don’t know how to pay you back…”

Dara flicked her forehead and said, “Think of it as an award for working hard for our pep rally and being a great friend.”

Minjung sighed and nodded. “Fine…”

Bom then turned her seat around and Minjung couldn’t believe how she looked like. Her hair was curled into soft waves and her makeup was smoky yet subtle at the same time.

“Woah…You guys…” Minjung said as she stared at herself in the mirror.

Bom, Dara, and CL beamed behind her and patted her back.

“We know, now put this on! Your date’s going to be here in about five minutes! Ppali!” Chaerin chuckled.

Dara tossed Minjung her dress and heels as Bom ushered her towards the bathroom. Minjung the red high-low dress that was tossed at her and smiled softly.

They know me so well…

Quickly stripping down her sweats, she slipped on the dress and heels. Staring once more at herself in the mirror, she couldn’t believe how much her friends did for her just to get her to go to Homecoming.

“You guys! I’m-where did they go?” Minjung said as she stepped out of her bathroom.

Looking around her room, she didn’t find any sign of her three best friends.

Unbelievable…

Her eyes landed on a sticky note on her purse and she gaped at what it said.

You take waaayy too long on putting on a simple dress, girl.

Anyways, Jingyo got impatient so the girls and I went ahead.

Tabi and Youngbae tried to get him to wait a little longer,

But you should know that GD doesn’t like to wait~!

See you at the dance!

~ Chaerin

P.S. Your date is waiting for you downstairs.

“Seriously?” Minjung chuckled.

She checked herself once more before grabbing her purse and descended down the stairs.

I wonder who they got to be my date…

Stopping at the end of the stairs, her eyes landed on a guy wearing a black suit swaying side to side while holding a red tulip. As she stood still to a stop, he turned around and her eyes widened.

“…Dongwoo?”

Dongwoo turned around and he stopped breathing as his eyes landed on Minjung

Beautiful…

As she said his name he sheepishly smiled and walked towards her.

“So you’re my date…?” she smiled shyly.

He nodded and handed her the red tulip. Dongwoo grabbed her hand before spinning her softly.

“You look beautiful tonight, princess.”

She bit her bottom lip as she felt herself blush. “Gomawo… You look pretty dashing yourself.”

Dongwoo smirked and flipped his hair. “I know I do.”

Minjung rolled her eyes as she slapped his arm playfully. He hooked his arm with hers and guided her towards his black Bentley. He opened the door for her before helping her into the car and he drove them to the dance. Once they got there, Dongwoo handed the tickets to the person guarding the door and he let them in. When they entered the gym, everyone was dancing. They spotted their group towards the back and Dongwoo guided them towards their friends.

“You guys finally made it!” Sunggyu eyesmiled.

Minjung glared at all them and said, “I hate you guys.”

Woohyun and Hoya smirked before giving her crashing bear hugs and said, “Nah~ you love us for doing this!”

“You better thank me!” CL smiled before Jiyong pulled her towards the dance floor.

Bom shook her head before intertwining her hand with Seunghyun’s and winked at her. “We’ll be heading to the food table and getting something to eat.”

Minjung smiled in amusement before Infinite pulled her and Dongwoo onto the dance floor. Slowly, the 2NE1 members and their dates began to join them and soon their group turned into a dance circle as Hoya began to show off his dance moves. Throughout the whole night, the crew made memories together and danced the night away. Minjung took a break from all the dancing and sat down as she smiled at her friends who were still partying. Soon, a slow song began to play and couples began to take the floor. Puffing her cheeks, she looked around, but couldn’t find Dongwoo anywhere.

Hm… I wonder where he could be…

“May I have this dance?” she heard a familiar voice say.

She looked up to see Dongwoo smiling softly and offering his hand. Smiling back, she nodded and he led her to the center of the dance floor. He set his hands her waist as she wrapped hers around his neck and the both of them began to sway to the music. Same As You by Joo Yeong played through the gym and the two chuckled softly.

“I remember when this song played when we first met.” Minjung said softly as Dongwoo brought her closer to him.

“Nado… We both ordered the same drink at Youngjae’s café at the same time and we found out that we were going to the same high school while waiting for our orders. That was all the way back in freshman year... Those were the good times…”

The two fell into a comfortable silence before Dongwoo decided to strike up another conversation.

“Neh…Minjung-ah…” he began.

She looked up at him and asked, “Hm? What is it Dongwoo-oppa?”

“Did you know the meaning of the flower I gave you?”

Thinking back at the red tulip, that Dongwoo gave her, she looked up in thought and said, “Doesn’t it mean...Oh.”

He brought her closer to him and set his forehead against hers. Minjung blushed at the sudden closeness and looked at Dongwoo. The look in his eyes were filled with so much warmth and sincerity, her heart began to beat quickly. Dongwoo didn’t know where he got the sudden confidence, but when he saw her blush, he decided to not let this sudden boost go to waste.

“Why didn’t you complete the sentence, princess?” he whispered.

Minjung gulped as she suddenly felt the temperature get warmer and stuttered.

“D-Doesn’t it mean a d-declaration o-of l-love?”

She looked down, hoping that her hair could hide her burning face. He smiled at her and said, “Bingo~”

He lifted her chin with his pointer finger and thumb, making her look at him in the eyes. “Jung-ah…”

Her breath hitched as their noses brushed against each other and he could feel his warm breath against her lips. “You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to tell you this… Ever since we met at the café for the first time, I wanted to get to know you more. When I found out that we were going to be partners in Shin-seonsaengnim’s dance class, I felt as if I was the happiest person alive. We got closer and closer until we were inseparable. What I’m trying to say is, is that I’ve fallen for you Chae Minjung.”

Minjung couldn’t believe what she just heard and blushed even harder.

“D-Dongwoo-oppa… I l-like you too…” she muttered.

A wide smile spread out on Dongwoo’s face before swooping down and planted a soft kiss onto Minjung’s lips. Her eyes widened as she felt his lips move against hers, but eventually closed and responded. They pulled away as they heard their friends cheer for them.

“FINALLY!” Minzy exclaimed.

“Our Dongwoo has grown up~” the WooGyu couple sobbed as their dates sweatdropped.

Everyone else congratulated the new couple as the song ended and walked towards the group.

“I officially ship WooJung together!” Sungyeol smiled cheekily.

Dongwoo smiled as he s his arms around Minjung’s waist and set his chin on her shoulder.

“If it wasn’t for you guys, she wouldn’t be here nor would she have been my girlfriend if CL hadn’t thought up her plan.”

Minjung smiled softly and leaned into Dongwoo’s embrace as the night’s events continued to play in her head as the dance came to an end. She couldn’t have asked for a better group of a friends and boyfriend. They definitely made her first and last Homecoming Dance one of the most memorable nights she’d never forget.

 

 


 

 

A/N: Yay~ That is the end of my first ever one-shot :x I know it's kinda scattered, but I just had to get this off my mind ^ ^;; Um~ subscribe and comment below! Thank you for reading!