And so it Begins

Survival of the Fittest

 

 
Sumi stood frozen. It's not everyday that you get to see a rotted, former human crawling desperately at you foor food, eerie moans and grunts getting closer and closer as you're frozen from shock. She looks back at Sehun, who is frantically overturning shelves and opening up drawers, searching for the supplies that will keep the two of them alive.
 
She looks back at the decayed 'walker' on the floor, wriggling close enough to abruptly seize her legs. 
 
"SUMI! What the are you doing?!" Sehun bellowed furiously from across the spacious room. "MOVE!"
 
Sumi just stares at the zombie. Sehun yells once more, trying to get her out of her odd trance. "Kill it!"
 
"I...I can't." Sumi tries to back away, but there's no way that she's able to kill that 'walker'. Any other walker, she could have took out single-handedly. A blow to the head and it's dead, like how she was taught by Sehun. The walker would be gone for good. But not this one.
 
Because this one was her former boyfriend.
 
 
 
 
 
 
2 Months Ago, October 31st, Halloween
 
The TV screen was a stark contrast from the pitch black living room. The couple had been watching a marathon of SBS's KPop Star, but the broadcast had been interrupted by a frantic news anchor announcing a 'zombie apocalypse'. At the bottom of the screen, it read, "Zombie Virus Spreads Worldwide on Halloween Night". 
 
On the couch sat Park Sumi and Lee Sungyeol, two Seoul University students who were currently dating. The girl was rather toned from all those mixed-martial-arts practices and visits to the gym, while the boy was a skinny stick with not much tolerance for exercise.
 
Sumi poked at Sungyeol's ribs. "Do you think it's true? There are so many articles about this kind of stuff online nowadays, and so many people just making up...they could be just exaggerating."
 
Sungyeol just shrugged. "They're probably just making a big deal out of some small issue...or playing a prank on us. It is Halloween today, after all. But if it is real..."
 
"You'll protect me, right?" Sumi smiled and looked up at Sungyeol.
 
He looked back at her and gave her a small peck on her forehead. 
 
"Of course, silly." The simple words reassured her for a small moment.
 
And that's when the horrifying screams on the streets of Seoul started.
 
------------------
 
Present Time, December 22nd, 2012
 
Sumi stared at that thing, entranced. She wasn't able to move or speak, she was much too horrified by the odd noises and the stench of the decaying body.
 
"Move!" Sehun haphazardly shoved her out of the path of the zombie, and shot him in the head without any hesitation. 
 
"..." Sumi wasn't able to get a word out of . She collapsed onto the floor, sobbing. Devastated and infuriated that she wasn't able to kill him herself. That she wasn't strong enough and still had to depend upon Sehun. And the boy with the lisp wasn't exactly the best person to lean against in times of trouble..no offense.
 
Sehun didn't know what to do in this situation. He heaved a sigh, and crouched down to give her an awkward yet comforting hug. "I'm sorry." There was an pregnant pause as the two squatted on the cold cement floor of the warehouse and the pair took quite some time to reflect. He stood up and went back to scavenging for food and leftover medical supplies in the warehouse like nothing had ever happened, like everything was alright.
 
"Hey, help me out here." Sehun called out to Sumi. "I can't carry all these supplies myself." He stuffed a bunch of bandages, energy bars and some neosporin into his dark blue backpack. 
 
Dragging herself over to Sehun, Sumi wiped her tears away. How unuseful she was. Crying and wasting her tears when there were probably people in worse situations than her. "I'm sorry for losing my composure...I just couldn't...Sungyeol..." 
 
"It's okay. I understand." He gave her one last consoling pat on the shoulder and proceeded to load snacks, medicine, and fresh clothes into her black backpack. "But right now, we need to get going. It's dark outside, and all that noise we just made is going to be attracting some walkers towards us."
 
"..Alright." The young girl tried to put all that happened behind her and focus on the present and the future. "Now that we've stocked up on supplies, can we please stop and sleep for a while?" Sehun kind of just stared at her like she had just suggested they take a dive in a pit of horse dung.
 
"Not yet. Not in this dump. It's too likely that we'll get ambushed in our sleep and never wake up." He chose to tell her the terrible truth. 
 
"So what's our plan?" Sumi shivered a bit and looked around the dark warehouse. There really was no point in surviving anymore. Sungyeol was gone, and the rest of the world had gone to too. 
 
"We get the out of this hellhole called Seoul. Then we start moving towards the camp in Taiwan." Sehun pulled out the map on which he had drawn out their route of escape. 
 
"Are you sure it's going to work? How are we even going to get to Taiwan?" Sumi crossed her arms against her chest, questioning him.
 
"Well, do you have a better ing idea?" Sehun rolled his eyes. 
 
"..."
 
"Sorry." He mumbled, and led the way out of the warehouse. "I'm just extremely upset, okay? I just had to bash your boyfriend in the head. I'm not as stable as you think I am right now."
 
"Please don't remind me, kay?" 
 
"Sorry again..." Sehun and Sumi walked out onto the deserted streets of Seoul. Just a few months ago, the streets were bustling with life and people who weren't trying to kill you. It was simple back then. Those were the good times, when life's problems were having no wi-fi or spilling coffee on your favorite shirt. Nowadays, you had to deal with the undead and scrounge around to just survive. "...We need to find a boat." 
 
"..How are we going to find a boat?"
 
"Girl, would you stop questioning my ideas?" Sehun huffed, a flair of the diva inside of him rising to the surface. "My dad owned one. It's pretty nice, and if I remember correctly, It's locked up somewhere on the shore near Busan. If we go from Busan to Taiwan by boat, that should take only a few days, right?" 
 
"Do you even know how to steer a boat?" 
 
This question dumbfounded Sehun for a moment. "Well, no...but it can't be that hard, right?"
 
Sumi thought hard for a moment. "What about a plane?" 
 
"A plane? Are you crazy? Where the are we going to get a plane and a pilot?" This time it was his turn to question Sumi.
 
"Well..." She furrowed her eyebrows in thought. "Sungyeol's dad owned a couple of private jets, if I remember correctly. It can't be that hard to learn how to steer a plane, right?"
 
"I like that idea." A grin spread across his handsome face. "It's a ing crazy- idea, but I like it." 
 
"So we're going to Taiwan? The camp that everyone's been talking about on the news? It's certain?" Sumi asked.
 
"For sure." Sehun nodded with a smile.
 
Before either of them noticed, a dark figure with a startlingly deep voice came up behind the two silently and stealthily, like a well-trained ninja or assassin. 
 
"Now, now. Are you so sure about that?"