Red Camellia

A Flower's Untold Story

Why? Why? That one word kept playing over and over again in his head as he sat on the side of the dirt road by his now ex-girlfriend’s house. He stared out into the sky as the sun began to set. He could feel the orange hues tickle at his skin and the unnerving scent of the red camellias that grew along the road. His soft slender fingers reached out to pluck one red camellia out of the ground. He stared at the bright red color the flower produced as he fiddled with the stem between his thumb and index finger. It reminded him of her. The flower, the sky, the setting sun, everything reminded Shim Changmin of her.

As his thoughts wandered on and the sky was now turning dark, Changmin stood up from his spot. He held the flower in the palm of his hand. He looked back to the view of her house and saw one light open in her room. He could see her silhouette move about her small room. Changmin laid the flower on the exact spot he sat on.

“I’ll be back, Hong Ahri.” Changmin murmured to the lone flower. “I still love you.”

Changmin stood up and fixed his button down blue plaid shirt. He looked back at the house. “Goodbye, for now.”

Changmin turned around and began heading for the train station. He couldn’t miss the last train back to Seoul.

Five Years Ago…

“Hey did you see Hong Ahri? She’s ing hot!”

All day Changmin heard people talk about Hong Ahri this and Hong Ahri that. He didn’t know what was so special about her. Hong Ahri was well-known in Byunghoon High School and in their town of Daegu as a quiet and unnoticeable girl. Besides, Changmin didn’t like to associate with that kind of talk. He would rather do his school work and keep to himself. Changmin hated drama.

“Changmin!”

Changmin stopped in his tracks and turned around. It was Gu Kihoon, his best friend at Byunghoon High School. Changmin waved at him as he came running over. Kihoon put his arm around his shoulder.

“Hey man, how’s the first day of school for you so far? I’ve missed you over the summer.”

“Not homo at all,” joked Changmin. “How was Australia?”

“Hello mate!” Kihoon laughed. “It was great, there were a lot of girls out there to have. If you know what I mean.”

Changmin chuckled. “Good for you Kihoon.”

“C’mon Changmin, it’s time you show some interest in a girl. It’s senior year, let’s have some fun before we head off to college.”

Changmin nodded. “You’re right.”

“And to kick off our senior year,” said Kihoon. “I saw Hong Ahri and she got really hot over the summer. She would be a great catch.”

“What’s the big deal with her anyways? Is she really that hot?” asked Changmin.

“Dude, see for yourself.” Kihoon turned Changmin towards the girl’s locker section of the whole school.

At first, Changmin couldn’t find Hong Ahri. He was looking for the plainly dressed, long black hair, red headband that matched the school colors, socks that were always ankle high, and cardigan wearing girl.

Then suddenly she faced him. She was no longer the Hong Ahri Changmin knew. Ahri had a complete transformation over the summer. Instead of the long pin straight black hair, it was now wavy and shoulder length. She no longer had the headband that kept her bangs out of her face. She got rid of the ankle socks and wore the school uniform more fashionable. In other words Ahri was hot. Boys were surrounding her at her locker and girls were envying her.

Changmin caught Ahri’s eye. She smiled at him before returning to the boys.

“You weren’t kidding,” Changmin said as he turned back to Kihoon.

“Would I kid about someone as beautiful as her?” Kihoon said laughing at his statement.

Changmin shrugged Kihoon’s arm off his shoulder. “Last year you were complaining about how she was a Plain Jane and how boring she was.”

Kihoon shrugged with a smile on his lips. “Things change.”

On cue, the school bell rang, warning the students to head to their next class.

“I’ll see you later at lunch Changmin!” yelled Kihoon as he ran off.

Changmin waved goodbye as he headed towards his next class.

When the lunch bell finally rang, Changmin made his way down to the school’s cafeteria. He immediately found Kihoon at their usual lunch table, talking to some girls. He rolled his eyes. Typical Kihoon.  He took off his bag, laid it on the cafeteria bench, and took a seat.

“Hey Changmin,” said Kihoon. “This is Gyuri and Jungin.”

Changmin nodded at the two girls who gave him smiles. Kihoon wrapped his arm around both the girl’s shoulders. Changmin looked away and took out his packed lunch and began to eat.

Suddenly a loud cheer erupted in the cafeteria. Changmin looked up and over and saw there was a group of boys surrounding one table. He then saw Ahri get up and excuse herself. Curious, Changmin decided to follow her. He picked up his bag and slung it over his shoulder. “Kihoon, I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

He ran into the school hall way. Changmin saw Ahri’s figure turn around a corner. He quickly followed her. He saw her make her up to the greenhouse. The schools greenhouse was located at the rooftop of the school. Students weren’t allowed in during school hours but he continued on anyways. Once Changmin entered he saw nothing but plants. As he ventured in more he realized there was a little bench that overlooked Daegu and there on that bench was Hong Ahri. He quietly made his way over and sat on the bench beside her. He kept his focus on the scenery. From the corner of Changmin’s eyes, he could see that Ahri was staring at him.

“What do those boys see in you? Honestly, you’re the same plain Hong Ahri.”

It was silent for a moment before Ahri replied, “I don’t know.”

Changmin got up and began walking back towards the entrance.

“Changmin!”

Changmin stopped in his tracks and waited. He could hear footsteps run from behind him.

“Thanks.”

He simply nodded and continued on downstairs back to the cafeteria where Kihoon was waiting for him.

Present…

Shim Changmin stared at his hometown Daegu with a blank expression on his face. With his fingertips he felt the edges of the familiar greenhouse bench at his old high school. Time sure does fly.

“Changmin.”

He turned around and faced his manager. His eyes read that it was time to go. Changmin nodded once and stood up from his seat. “Hyung, can we go somewhere then? It’s on our way.”

His manager sighed and nodded his head in agreement. “Fine, but just ten minutes, okay?”

“Thanks.”

He entered the car and gave the address to the driver. As the car started and went, Changmin stared out the window as his old high school slowly faded away.

5 years ago...

There was a small creek that ran from Changmin's house all the way to the town center in Daegu. It was quiet and barely anyone knew it existed except for Changmin since the creek was right in his backyard. He walked along the water's edge until he came upon a clearing filled with what looked to be bright red flowers. Changmin had never really followed the creek until today and he had never noticed these flowers before. He didn't even think they grew in Daegu.

"Changmin?"

Changmin turned around to find the owner of the voice to be Ahri. "Ahri?" She was dressed in farmer overalls, long black rain boots, gloves, and a large straw sunhat on her head. "What are you doing here?'

Ahri looked down at her attire and blushed. "I work here."

"You work here?" asked Changmin.

Ahri nodded. "My boss owns the fields here. I pick the crops when it's ready to harvest and these red camellia's when they bloom."

"Ah, so these are what these flowers are called. Red Camellias." Changmin looked up at her and smiled. "Can I help you pick them?"

"Sure!" Ahri said returning the smile. She walked over to Changmin and handed him extra work gloves and a basket. "To pick them you just have to gently pull the flower out, roots and all." Ahri bent down to demonstrate. "Just like that."

Changmin nodded with awe as he did what he was told. He picked the flower with ease. "Wow, this is really easy!"

Ahri nodded with a smile. "Now, c'mon and help me with the rest."

Hours flew by as Changmin and Ahri picked the blossomed flowers. As Ahri picked the last one, Changmin plopped on the ground with sweat pouring down his face. Ahri took off her sunhat, wiped her sweat with the back of her hand, and sat next to Changmin. She began to fan him with her sun hat. Changmin smiled at her caring about him.

"Now I know why some people hate to work."

"It's not the best job," agreed Ahri. "But it brings in the money for the family. Everyone needs money some how."

Changmin nodded.

Ahri began to look up into the sky. Changmin watched as her eyes began to aimlessly search for something in the sky as if there was an answer. Suddenly, she reached out to put her hand on his shoulder.

"Lie down with me." instructed Ahri as she gently pushed him towards the ground.

Together they plopped on the cold grass. The sun was just about to set. It was always an advantage when one lived in the country side. The colors of the sky were so true and earnest. The oranges and yellows danced off each other like graceful ballerinas.

"This would be my favorite part of my job."

Changmin turned his head to Ahri. The orange hues of the sunset played off her beautiful face. Changmin reached over with his hand and touched her cheek. She turned to her side and smiled at him. He pulled her close to him and kissed her on the lips.

As the sun finally set and darkness began to flood in, Changmin and Ahri continued to kiss, slowly falling in love.

Present…

"We're here."

Changmin slowly opened his eyes and looked out the window. This was the place. He turned to his manager who only nodded at him to go on in.

"You have ten minutes. Got it? Ten minutes."

Changmin nodded as he exited out of the car. He took the first few steps onto the dirt paved road and looked up at his destination. It was the church his family and practically all of Daegu went to every Sunday. He walked up to the wooden double doors and opened it with strength. The church was still open and the lights were on. He hadn't realized how dark it was. It was empty. Changmin walked up the aisle and chose an oh so familiar church bench to sit on. As he sat, he closed his eyes and slowly the memory began to seep back into his brain.

5 years ago...

It was their five month anniversary in two days and Changmin wanted to do something special for Ahri. He had no idea what to do for the girl he loved. So, he asked for his best friend’s assistance.

"Yah! This is great, just give her these!" Kihoon said with a large smile as he pressed his face against the cool display window. He was drooling over lingerie.

Changmin hit him over the head. "Be serious here!"

"I am serious!" said Kihoon as he rubbed his freshly hit head. "She'd love those. Especially the red ones with the lace."

Changmin rolled his eyes as he continued down the shops of downtown Daegu. His eyes landed on a ring shop. He peered through the window and saw the many rings out for display. He entered with Kihoon by his side still fuming over his head.

"May I help you sir?" asked an employee behind the counter of rings.

"I'm looking for a ring for my girlfriend. It’s our five month anniversary and I wanted to get her something nice."

The employee smiled at him. "Let me get the jeweler then."

Changmin waited as the jeweler emerged from the back.

"Five month anniversary you say?"

"Yes."

"Then these are what you need."

He slid out a box from the counter and showed it to Changmin and Kihoon. It was silver banded couple rings. They were simple and yet exactly what Changmin wanted. "Can I get these engraved?"

The jeweler nodded. He took back the rings and told him it would be ready in the next two days. Changmin thanked him and he and Kihoon exited the store.

"Well that was easy!" proclaimed Kihoon with a smile. "But I still like the red lingerie..."

"Oh, shut up."

Two days later, Changmin returned to the jewelry store. The jeweler gave him the rings with a satisfied smile on his face. His assistant had even wrapped the rings with a pretty white bow. Changmin thanked the jeweler and paid before leaving.

Today was the day. He had told Ahri to meet him at their local church at 1 p.m. Time was ticking by. He quickly went home and got dressed in the best outfit that he could make in 10 minutes and ran up the dirt road towards the church.

He opened the double doors and found Ahri sitting on the church bench. Changmin inhaled a deep breath and calm himself down from all the running. He casually walked up to Ahri.

“Hey,” He said as he sat down and gave her a quick kiss on the lips.

“Happy Anniversary,” She smiled at him. She was wearing a pastel pink dress with flats. Her hair was down in waves. She looked beautiful just as always. He took her hand and led her to the middle facing the alter.

“I, Shim Changmin, am very grateful to have Hong Ahri in my life. Thank you for being with me for so long.”

Ahri laughed, “I, Hong Ahri, am very grateful to have Shim Changmin in my life. I thank you for seeing me as I am, regardless of the fact that I’m prettier than I was before.”

Changmin smiled at her as they stared into each other’s eyes. Changmin got out the little ring box out of his pockets. He presented it to Ahri.

“What is this? I thought we agreed not to give each other gifts.”

Changmin motioned for her to open it. “It’s no big deal.”

He watched her delicately unwrap the ribbon and open the box.

“Couple rings?!” She exclaimed. “Oh, Changmin their so pretty!”

He took out her and held Ahri’s hand. He slid the ring on her ring finger. Ahri happily did the same to him.

“It’s so pretty,” said Ahri happily holding her hand up to the light. “Oh? It’s engraved too? Flame…”

“You’re a flame in my heart.”

Changmin reached over and kissed her forehead softly.

“My flame…”

Present…

“Look here! Great! I like it. Can you pose for me like that again? Good!”

Changmin stared into the camera and gave a small smile at the photographer behind the lens. He raised the jacket in his hands that were over his shoulder and posed again for the photographer.

“Great! Okay, set change!”

Changmin nodded and followed his manager to the dressing room to change his outfit for the photo shoot. Many stylists began to swarm around him as they fixed up his hair, makeup, and whatever else that needed to be fixed.

His manager stood beside him, texting away on his i-phone. Changmin took out his own phone. He looked at the date.

“We’re ready!”

Changmin got up from the high chair and began walking back on set as the stylist finished up the remaining pieces for his outfit.

The set this time was a simple chair and the lights were turned down. He sat down on the chair waiting for the photographer’s instructions.

Suddenly, the photographer’s assistants began filing in with bouquets of, what he knew to be, Red Camellia’s. He stared at them with an unnoticeable shocked expression on his face. Out of all the flowers in the world it had to be this one. As the bouquets were sporadically displayed around the set, Changmin was instructed to hold one in his hand and simply pose.

As the camera continued to take snapshots, Changmin’s mind became a total blank. Today had significance to him and he couldn’t leave because of work. Now these flowers? He continued to pose for the camera, lifeless and thoughtless. He was surprised when the photographer gave him a thumbs up and ended the photo shoot.

Changmin dressed into his regular clothes and washed off all the makeup that was required for the shoot today. He put on a baseball cap and proceeded to the company van that was waiting for him outside.

As he climbed into the backseat of the van, his manager looked at him with a sad smile.

“I think I know why you’re like this today.”

Changmin looked at his manager hyung that had been with him for five years now. He was his only real companion in this cruel business. He was there for him when all Changmin wanted to do was drink his sorrows and loneliness away. He was there for him when Ahri unexpectedly broke up with him that day. This day. One year ago.

“You want to get a drink? It’s pretty late no one will see you,” said his manager.

Changmin shook his head no. “I just want to go home.”

His manager nodded and instructed the driver to take them home.

One year ago…

“I can’t do this anymore Changmin, it’s been four years how long did you think I was going to stick around and wait for you?”

“Honestly…forever.”

Ahri rolled her brown eyes at him. “Don’t give me that mushy lovey dovey crap because I’m tired of it. No, I’m sick of it. Whenever I need you Changmin, you’re never there for me. Instead, you’re out modeling at runways, shooting photo shoots with better looking girls than me. How do you think that makes me feel waiting for a phone call that I know won’t come. I always have to call you!”

“That’s not fair Ahri you know that this is just my job,” Changmin grabbed her small shoulders. “I only care for you please don’t do this to me now. I need you.”

She shrugged his hands off her. “No, I needed you.

Changmin stared at the unfamiliar cold face that was before him. This wasn’t the Ahri he fell in love with five years ago. Heck, he wasn’t the Changmin he was five years ago. But he still loved her so much. He couldn’t understand how her feelings had changed.

She stepped back from him and began gathering her things from his apartment. She shrugged on her coat as she said, “Look we can talk more about this later. You’ll have to call me because it’s no use for me to call you anymore.”

Changmin watch her put on her boots and open the door. She looked back at him without any expression on her face. “We’re through.”

Changmin flinched as the door slammed shut. For a few minutes he couldn’t move from his spot. Then, he slouched down on his couch. He put his elbows to his knees and ran his fingers through his hair repeatedly.

It was four years ago Changmin was offered this job as a model for school uniforms. He had been spotted performing the senior school play by one of his classmate’s uncle. Ahri and surprisingly his family supported him all the way. Well, the fact that they needed money, Changmin was set. Once he graduated he left his hometown of Daegu and moved to Seoul where he rose to stardom in staring in commercials for food, soju, perfumes, clothes, and more. He did many photo shoots and even did a runway show for the late Andre Kim.

He realized in all his success Hong Ahri had become distant from her and so did his best friend Kihoon. He was busy that was the only excuse he could give them. There were no other. But today was just random. Changmin did not see this coming.

Ahri had visited Changmin in Seoul for the first time in months. She had visited him before but they were usually short stays and wouldn’t consist of much except for cuddling on the sofa. She would go to his photo shoots only to be met with boredom as she just watched him do his job. He felt bad but he thought he knew that it would be okay. Apparently not.

Changmin picked up his phone and texted her.

“Are you going back to Daegu?”

“No, I’m staying at a hotel.”

“Will you please come back Ahri let’s talk this out.”

“Changmin, I’m done for tonight.”

“Fine, I’ll pick you up from where you’re staying tomorrow. We’ll have breakfast.”

“Fine.”

Changmin got the address of where she was staying. He stood up from the couch and went off to take a shower and go to bed.

The next day Changmin picked up Ahri in the company van. His manager was at the front driving them to a secluded coffee shop. Once they entered in Changmin ordered his usual. They sat at a small table with small couches as chairs. They both looked at each other without a word.

Then she took off the ring Changmin had given to her on their five month anniversary. She slid it over to him.

Changmin looked away. “Keep it, I gave it to you to keep.”

“I don’t want this anymore.”

“Why are you doing this Ahri? I’ve been busy that’s all. I can’t believe you can’t just stay with me. I just…can’t understand.”

Ahri sighed. “I told you Changmin I’m done. Did you know my parents are getting a divorce? No, because you’re too busy that I can’t even talk to you. I thought I could handle your new lifestyle. But I can’t. I really can’t.” Tears began to appear in her eyes. “I really wanted it to work out but how can it when I feel this way? I’m sorry Changmin. I really am.”

Changmin looked down at his lap as hot tears began to fall from his eyes. She’s right. How could he convince her to be his when he didn’t deserve her. He only nodded accepting their break up. He heard the scrape of the chair being pulled back and the heels of her shoes clack as she exited the coffee house.

The waiter arrived with his coffee. He didn’t dare look up and waited until she walked away before he sobbed quietly to himself, his shoulders shaking uncontrollably in his sadness.

Present…

Changmin walked along the dirt road of his hometown Daegu. He shoved his hands in his pockets and found the Red Camellia he had delicately put in his pocket for this day. He turned right and made his way up to their hometown church.

As he got closer he heard the church bells begin to ring and a flurry of people exited the church. He spotted the one person he wanted to see exit with her new husband clinging to his arm. Dressed in a beautiful white wedding dress, stood Ahri proudly displaying her new found love to all the guests.

Changmin could feel his heart beat into a heavy painful pound. It was true. It was all true. They were married. Gu Kihoon and Hong Ahri were now husband and wife.

Changmin put the lone Red Camellia on the ground before making his way down the dirt path and leaving his hometown for good.

There was nothing there for him anymore. The romance Ahri and him had, had been a simple flame waiting to be put out.

 

Number of Seeds Replanted: 3 of 20