Wind-Up Toys

The Problem With Kim Jongwoon

          “What are you doing?”

          Kyuhyun was perched on the edge of his dining table, peering closely at the corner of the walls.

          “Checking for hidden cameras,” he replied distractedly. He heard a puff of exasperated breath from his ‘guest’. It probably wasn’t meant for Kyuhyun to hear, but he had sharp ears.

          “You know how your mom is a manager of one of the rookie groups in my company?” Yesung asked.

          “So?”

          “Since I helped promote that group, we interacted a lot. She offered me a place to stay when she heard that I was going to Sarang U. for awhile. It… Wouldn’t exactly be a possible option for me to dorm there, after all.”

          Meaning, fangirls would mob him and his room until he was left out in the cold while people crowded around him, snapping pictures.

          Or at least, that was how Kyuhyun interpreted it.

          “And the place just happened to be my apartment.” Kyuhyun glowered at the wall, annoyed that there appeared to be no tiny surveillance cameras.

          Finally Kyuhyun noticed the suitcase crouched in the kitchen.

          “That’s all, right?” He pointed at said suitcase.

          “The movers are supposed to carry in my piano tomorrow,” Yesung said.

          At once the image of a huge grand piano occupying his living room flashed into Kyuhyun’s mind. His face must’ve reflected his thoughts, because Yesung immediately followed up with: “A keyboard piano.”

          “Right. Of course.” Kyuhyun wondered arbitrarily if he was acting rather rude, but oh well – that was just his personality after all. He exhaled, rubbing his hand against his forehead. “Right. I guess you’re going to have to live in the guest room.”

          That movie-star smile again. “That sounds good.”

         

 

 

 

          So.

          Apparently Yesung was actually moving in today. The first thing Kyuhyun did when he escaped to his own room was to send a ranting e-mail to his mom. It went along the lines of something like this:

 

          MOM. WHY. JUST. WHY. YOU DIDN’T EVEN TELL ME THAT A FLUCKING (This doesn’t count as cursing btw) SUPERSTAR IS GOING TO LIVE WITH ME.

          WHAT.

          MOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!! DKLFJSLDHKFJSDH:LFKJDHGDJJF:LHDKFJJ:DFK. D<

          And how did you get a copy of my apartment keys?

 

          He almost flipped three million tables (what an exaggeration) when he saw the reply that came almost immediately:

 

          :)

 

          “What kind of a response was that?” Kyuhyun roared at his Pikachu plushie.

 

         

         

 

          “Let me get this straight. You’re living with Yesung, let me repeat, the Yesung? And you have already lived with him for, like, a week?” Boa’s eyes were as wide as saucers. She made a ‘pop’ sound as she pulled the cranberry lollipop from .

          Kyuhyun mumbled something incoherent. His face was pressed against the table. He had deflated like a balloon after relating his whole situation to his BFF. They were sitting somewhere on the top floors of their university, in a brightly lighted yet dusty room that not many people knew existed.

          “You’re kidding, right?” Boa poked Kyuhyun on the shoulder.

          “I wish I was,” Kyuhyun sighed. “I didn’t even know he was going to our university!”

          “You serious? Dude, that was the headline of K-pop news for weeks now. I remember telling you about this.” Boa’s face shifted to look more threatening. “Kui Xian, you weren’t listening to me again, were you?”

          She liked to use his Chinese name a lot. He didn’t know why.

          Kyuhyun cleared his throat in a very guilty way. “Uh, I might or might not have been thinking about the new release of a game?”

          He jumped as his arm got pinched painfully. “Ow! Jeez, I don’t even know why I hang out with you. You always torture me.”

          “It’s because you don’t have any other friends.”

          “…Touché.”

          She went back to the topic of Yesung like a shark attacking its food. “So you guys are going to be living together – this is going to be so epic. Ahahahaha I can’t wait to see his face when he discovers how weird you are.”

          Kyuhyun shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “You might be already a little too late in that aspect.”

          “No way.” She sent him a blank look. She started waving her lollipop at Kyuhyun. “You haven’t already danced to Gee in the kitchen while cooking breakfast – ”

          “I didn’t know that he was an early riser during mornings, okay?”

          “ – talked to your Pikachu plushie – “

          “He just happened to walk into my room while I was debating the existence of life in other planets with Pikachu; it’s not like it was my fault.”

          “ – you’re just, I can’t. I just can’t.”

          Kyuhyun pouted and crossed his arms. “What. I have quite a few complaints about him as well!”

          Boa raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow. “Like what?”

          “He’s practically perfect.” Kyuhyun quickly added: “No wait. That sounds like a compliment. I didn’t mean that as a compliment. It wasn’t supposed to be a compliment.”

          Boa just kept on laughing.

          “No! NO! Listen to me – he smiles all the time. Do you hear me? ALL. THE. TIME. I bet he smiles even while showering – No stop it, I don’t think about him showering. Boooooooooooaaaaaa.”

          Boa finally reduced her full-blown laughter to just a slight snicker. Kyuhyun was about to open his mouth again when she let out another snicker. She waved her hand at him. “No, keep on going, Kui Xian. This is so entertaining.”

          “I just mean. It’s getting really creepy. The constant smiles – like he’s constantly on television or something.”

          At this, Boa seemed to calm down a little. Her eyebrows formed a crease in the middle of her forehead.

          “That is a little weird,” she admitted. “Are you sure you’re just not exaggerating like you usually do?”

          “Not this time. Sometimes I feel like he’s some kind of wind-up robot that starts up when there is an audience.”

          “Hmm.” A smile suddenly lit up her face. “You’re going to introduce me to him sometime though, right? You better; it’s your duty as the best friend.”      

          “You just want the thrill of knowing a celebrity,” he grumbled.

          She smiled slyly. “Ah, you know me so well.”


I'm getting attached to this story already. :D