Who are you?

In Time with You

 

Chapter 2: Who are you?

 

I was caught off guard at the sight of a beautiful prince lying down in a bed, sleeping so serenely. I finally dropped the teddy bear that I kept on holding and ran towards his side.

 

                Who are you?

 

                Are you alive?

 

                Are you breathing?

 

These questions were running through my mind as I shook his shoulders in an attempt to wake him up.

                But they were all in vain.

 

Keep calm, I tell myself. Keep calm and think, Lily. Your grandfather probably made it so that you are the only one able to make him wake up.

 

                “Ah! I have to kiss him to wake him up!” I shouted to no one in particular as I thought of the fairytales Mei used to read me in monotone when I was younger, failing to realize at the moment that it was the princess who awoke at the kiss from the prince and not the other way around.

 

                So, I tried.

 

                Nothing.

 

Wait, nothing? Am I that of a bad kisser? Hmm… It was my first kiss though. I glanced at Ralph who was just staring at me the whole time, bewildered.

 

“Ralph, what should I do to wake this prince up?”

 

 Ralph ignored me and looked at the other way, as if saying that I have to figure it out myself.

 

When I kissed him, I felt his breathing and the heat of his lips, so I know that he is alive. So, why won’t he wake up?

 

I got a chair and settled it beside the prince’s bed. I sat beside him and slowly took in his features. As always, being childish, I rushed into things without appreciating it slowly. Now that I look at him up close, he really is perfect.

 

He had the perfect eyes, perfect nose; basically, perfect everything… but something seems to be a little off.

                There seems to be no life in him.

 

I mean, I know that he is alive, but it’s just that… there’s this feeling of… what was it called?

Emptiness. I feel emptiness inside.

 

“Will you really make me happy?” I unconsciously voiced my fear while caressing his cheek. I caught myself doing something weird and honest in a long time, and I began tearing up again. I began remembering all the times my parents told me to smile in public and look happy because people were looking at us. I remember all the forced pretenses I had to endure these past years, and finally, I accepted it.

 

I accepted the fact that my grandfather, the only one who loved me, was gone too. I cried. I cried and cried again, but this time, it was because I was thankful. Thankful because I had grandfather to show me love, even at his death. Somehow, even without my parents’ love, it was enough. Just knowing that someone loved me was enough.

 

“Thank you, grandfather. I’ll wake him up, don’t worry.”

 

I dried my tears with the back of my sleeves and tried to grin. I began speaking with prince again,

“Is that why you won’t wake up? Are you lonely too?”

 

                No answer.

 

“There were times in my life too, you know. When I asked myself why I am alive. But I had someone tell me that he needed my existence to be able to smile, and it made me not think about that stuff anymore.”

 

                Still no answer.

 

“Hmm. It’s actually not bad talking with you, even though you’re not replying. At least now, someone actually listens to me.” I tried to joke, but still got no response.

 

I suddenly decided on something and stood up, “Aha! I know! We should be friends!”

 

I took his hands in mine and shook it, “I promise that I will be a very good friend! You can even ask teddy bear!! We’ve been friends for a long time, so he knows that I’m a good person! Don’t worry; I’ll come here every day! You do not have to feel lonely anymore! I promise that I will take care of you, friend!”

 

I was ranting and too excited with my new and first real friend that I noticed too late that he was smiling. It was a small smile and it vanished too quickly, but it stunned me a little.

 

What is this feeling?

 

My heart is beating faster for an unknown reason and it makes me feel nervous. Plus, there was also something in my stomach that I have never experienced before. I knitted my eyebrows and scrunched up my nose, confused.

 

I failed to notice that I was still holding his hand and when I did, I immediately let go. It hit the side of the bed with a bang and brought me back to reality.

 

“Oh no! I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! Are you okay? Of course you aren’t! I promise, friend, it will be the last time I do something clumsy like that! Wait I’ll get you some ice so that it won’t swell!”

 

I ran to the kitchen forgetting to place his hand back in the bed so I ran back to his side and placed it gently on the bed before running off to the kitchen again. This time, when I came back, I held the bucket of ice and a towel on my arms.

“Here, I brought you stuff to make you feel better! See, I may be a little rough on the edges, but granddad says that I’m a good girl, so forgive me this once, okay?” I was still not seeing his smile, but maybe I would get a heart attack if I see it twice in a day, so I decided that it was for the good of all.

 

I sat in the chair again and started tending to his hand. He hand long and slender fingers. Plus, smooth skin too. I can just stay forever holding his hand. The thought seemed to freak me out a little, so I stopped myself.

 

“You can’t do that, Lily! That’s ual harassment! You can go to jail!” I started threatening myself. I seemed to have startled Ralph too since he looked at me again weirdly.

 

“Don’t be like that, Ralph! It was just a thought, just a thought! Please still be my friend!”

 

Even Ralph looked away. But, he looked back again and quacked before running off to God knows where around the clock tower. I smiled,

 

I made two friends today, grandfather.

 

I finished tending to the prince’s hand and I was just seating beside him staring at him again. The day’s events exhausted me to the point that the normally talkative girl I am seemed to have shut off, and I drifted to sleep again.

 

I woke up hours later realizing that I had used the prince’s arm as cushion. I disentangled myself quickly and apologized, “I’m sorry, is your arm numb?”

 

He was still quiet. But somehow, I feel as if he was not just empty anymore, as if I have awakened something in him.

 

“You know, I do not know much about love, but I promise you, I will show it to you. I won’t stop loving you till you wake up and think that this world is not that bad anymore, okay, Prince?”

 

I told him seriously, “I know you’re listening, so listen carefully. I am waiting for you to wake up, so please do so. I, I will make you love me.”

 

I realized the intensity of what I have said and blushed profusely. I cover my face quickly with my hands, but not before accidentally glimpsing at the clock at the wall.

 

                It was already 3:00 in the morning! I sat up straight and stood, but I suddenly felt so dumbstruck.

 

Mei will kill me! I should have been down since midnight. Oh no! I quickly grabbed teddy and was about to bolt, but then I saw Ralph by the staircase and remembered that I have not said my goodbyes to the prince.

 

I immediately ran towards the prince’s side again and exclaimed, “I would love to stay, Prince, but my parents must be worried right now! Please wait for me tomorrow! I promise I would be back.”

 

I ran towards the stairs again, but I knew that I forgot something really important, something to do with names.

                Ah! I haven’t told him about my name, and I do not even know his!

 

I ran back to his side and introduced myself, “I’m sorry! I forgot to say it earlier, but I’m Lily! I’m your first friend, Lily!” I took his hands in mine again and shook it, “You, what’s your name?” I was not expecting an answer, so I was just smiling.

 

I was already at the bottom of the ladder when I first heard his voice, “Chris.”

 

I thought that perhaps I may have misheard so I looked back, and his facial expressions betrayed the fact that he moved his muscles. It was hard to believe that he really spoke, but I knew. I quickly went over his side again, not growing tired of always running towards him.

 

                “That’s a very beautiful name, Chris. Sweet dreams.”

 

~

 

I pushed the little wooden door towards the outside. For some odd reason the door can only be pushed in when one is coming from the outside, and the other way around when one is from the inside.

 

Upon stepping to the green grass of reality, yellow beams suddenly blinded me and I hope that my eyes are just tricking me, but I swear I can see guns. I unconsciously rose up my arms, “I, I’m sorry!”

 

Silence seems to fill up the whole area, and the next thing I knew, Mei came towards me in a rush and hugged me, “Miss! I was so worried! Please never do that again!” Before replying, mom pried her away from me and yelled at her to get lost.

 

Suddenly, my family―mom, dad, and little brother―surrounded me. Mom hugged me while my dad just held my little brother’s hands tight. I cannot believe my eyes, my mom was actually crying, “Oh, honey! I was so worried! Please, don’t do that again.”

 

I tried to comfort her by patting her back, and I could see that dad was annoyed at the scene he is witnessing.

 

“Save the drama at home, we have already disturbed this entire country too much.”

 

Mom let me go and looked up to my dad, “Can’t you just be happy that your precious daughter, and heir, is safe and sound?” I could not help but notice how she prolonged pronouncing the word heir.

 

My dad scoffed, “We’ll talk later at home.”

 

~

 

I, Lily, seem to have done something really bad for the first time in my life. My parents never really cared when I got into trouble back in kindergarten. They just paid the school and placed me on house arrest. But now, for some unknown reason, I will get punished.

 

I do not know whether my parents are just pretending to care for me, but one thing is for sure, I do not like the feeling of not knowing what will happen.

 

                Is this perhaps how a normal hormonal teenager feels after rebelling?

 

The thought made me shudder even more; my parents will get jailed if they hurt me, right?

 

I just hope that it will not involve any kind of physical pain. But, come to think of it… how could someone like me even get grounded? I mean, I remember watching in the television before how teenagers are not allowed to go out, use their phones, and they receive less cash. But in my case, I was never allowed to go out from the start, I do not even own a cellular phone; and for cash, I do not even know what I need to use it for.

 

I just shrugged at the thought of the possible punishments I will receive while waiting for my parents to arrive at the living room. I was sitting straight in the middle of the couch with my thighs tightly cramped together, overly sweating.

 

I heard the doorknob click, judgment has arrived. I shuddered even more.

 

I stood up when they came in, “Good―”

“Sit down.” My dad shut me off before I could even greet them properly. But, like a robot, I sat anyway.

 

“Darling, maybe we should continue with this talk tomorrow. Lily must be tired.” Mom softened her eyes while glancing at my direction.

 

“Shut it, ‘darling.’” My dad is failing badly at being civil, “We have a flight tomorrow to France. If you want to replace your current title as the queen of our society, then go ahead and be a mother tomorrow, but do not take me down with you.”

 

It was the first time dad ever spoke like that to my mother in front of me knowingly, and I think that mom finally got the message the my dad was being serious about my punishment.

 

My dad finally turned to me, and looked me in the eyes for the first time in both of our lives, “Do you know what you have done Lily?” He spoke so calmly and yet so deadly. I flinched. If looks could kill, Chris would have probably attended my funeral right now.

 

I nodded. He continued, “Really? Do you?” He raised his voice an octave higher. I started trembling.

 

If mom noticed this; she did not say anything, but let my father continue, “The whole city,” another octave, “the whole city tried to find you at the wee hours of the day! Do you know how much money that costs? Not only that but the damage control your mother has to do to not ruin the family’s image!? Your image!? Do you, really!?” He held his chest a bit, as if to control his anger; by now, I am shivering.

 

He continued, “If before you were just carrying our family name, now you are the family name. You should put that in that head of yours! What your good old grandfather did was a curse, and you have no way of escaping it, so say goodbye to random whims like this one!”

 

                I, I normally would have let it pass by.

                                Normally.

 

But this was different; He, he insulted the only man who loved me.

                Even if I love you dad, I cannot let you do that.

 

“Do not talk bad about grandfather.”

 

I could see the confusion in both of my parents faces. It was the first time I have ever talked back to them. My dad was the first to recover, “What did you just say to me?”

 

“I, I know that I was at fault, dad. And, I am extremely sorry for what happened. I should not have acted selfish. But, please do not talk bad about grandfather. He, he really loved me.”

 

I never knew I had the strength to voice my feelings out to my father. Through the years, just being in the same room as him instills fear inside of me. I could see that it was my mom’s turn to say something,

 

“Lily, you should―”

But, surprisingly, dad cut her off, he seems to be the type who loves to cut people’s speech off, “Stop, Rose. Let’s go to bed.”

 

It was my turn to get shocked, and undeniably, mom shared my sentiments.

 

“What?” she asked, confused as I am.

Dad turned his back on us already and was walking towards their room, “I said that we should go to bed. I have a flight tomorrow, and if you do not want to join me, then you are free to stay here and stare at your daughter’s face.”

My mom sprinted towards dad’s side, and in a whisper, as she hopes to be discreet but failing, “You’re just letting it go? Are, are you sick or something?”

 

Normally, my dad would have made a snide remark, but he surprised me more by actually speaking in a rational voice, “Your daughter, unlike what you seem to think, is not an imbecile. Rather than locking her at an empty house, she should be free to do as she likes.”  

 

Unexpectedly, I felt pride in this. This was the first time my dad ever complimented me, if it can count. Actually, I think I like this more than mom’s show of affection towards me.

 

                This does not seem fake, right, Chris?

 

Before I forgot, I called out to them, “Mom and dad!”

 

If they turned around, I do not know, I just stood up, and continued,

 

“Please do not fire Mei. She takes care of me well. I promise that I would not cause trouble for anyone anymore.” All this while, I shut my eyes so tight and was holding my hands together till my knuckles became white for fear that they may think I am going too far.

 

I did not see their expressions but I heard my dad’s voice, “Fine. You’re free to do whatever you want.”

 

I opened my eyes, but all I could see were their backs now. I wanted to hug them both and scream thank you, but I knew that they would hate me for it. So I stay rooted on my stop and said in an audibly calm voice that they can hear clearly,

 

“Thank you.”

 

~

 

Before I went to sleep early in the morning, I set-up my alarm clock to ring at 7 a.m. in the hopes that I could get enough rest and then go visit the clock tower. But since this is reality, I woke up at 11 feeling groggy and sleepy.

 

The minute I opened my eyes and glanced at my alarm clock, I bolted towards the bathroom. I fixed myself up in a flash and went on my way to servant’s area, where Mei was.

 

I went to her room, and knocked thrice. No one seemed to be inside.

 

A voice behind me suddenly spoke, “You call, miss?”

 

I turned around relieved that Mei was still here. I hugged her, and she seemed surprised. I let go and said,

 

“Mei! Let’s go back to the clock tower today.”

 

For some odd reason, she looked unsurprised, and began walking towards the main entrance where we usually wait for the cars.

 

I followed her, “You won’t even ask me why?”

She replied, “A servant should always follow, not otherwise.”

I frowned at this, “But you’re not just a servant, Mei.” She paused, I did too.

 

                “You’re my friend too.” I felt shy at this and sprinted ahead, but not before looking back,

 

“I’ll meet you at the entrance, Mei!” I smiled bashfully, and I swear that I could see a gentle smile on her face.

~

 

I arrived at the clock tower once again. I would love to stay long and admire its beauty more, but there was something inside more precious than this.

 

                Chris.

 

I began my journey upwards my new home and smiled,

 

“I have a purpose now, grandfather. Just a little more and I know I will be happy.”

 

My journey to wake my prince up began today. I do not know when D-day will be, but soon it will. I am sure. I arrive at the top of the staircase and greeted Ralph. I then continued to Chris’s room.

 

Seeing him from the top of three stepped stairs, I grinned,

 

“Good morning, Prince.”