Chapter 1: I found you

In Time with You

 

Wake up, dear prince.

Open your eyes and smile.

Speak me your name.

So I can call you out every time.

 

Chapter 1: I found you

 

I, I have always been alone.

 

It was early in my childhood when I found out about this truth. I was nine when I caught my parents arguing about who will take care of me. I was peeking through their bedroom door wondering what the noise was about, since they were almost always never home.

 

“She’s your kid, so why don’t you take proper care for her? All you ever do is party and socialize, you good-for-nothing wife.”

“What about you? All you ever do is work and work! Why don’t you try going home sometimes and see your kid occasionally, so that she won’t create trouble anymore!?”

“Shut up! Who do you think enables you to have the grand life you are living, ? I just needed you to create an heir and you could not even give me a son!”

 

In other dramas, you would’ve thought that the kid would run away, but not in this one. I stood rooted in my spot just staring at them, still in shock. I did not know what to do, what I could do. I kept on wondering why they could not love me. Why did they even create me? I did not know what to do, really.

 

I may have misheard.

 

Yes, I tried to tell myself that, but I knew it was a lie. And, just before a tear threatened to fall, warm hands cupped my ears and turned me around.

 

It was my grandfather.

 

He held my hand tightly and led me away, bringing me by the gardens. He stopped when we were at our favorite gigantic Oak Tree, and motioned for me to seat with him by the trunk. Once settled down, he patted my head and rested it at his shoulder.

 

“It’s okay to cry, Lily.”

 

Other times, my grandfather would have lied to me, saying that I just misheard. But, this time he did not. I guessed he saw something in my face back then that told him that I needed the truth. After all, the years of lying that my parents were just busy with work to create a happy future for me still led to this moment. So, after nine years, I let my tears fall.

 

After unleashing all the pain through my tears, thereby soaking my grandfather’s shirt, I finally calmed down. Sensing this, gramps, held my hand tighter than ever, and started saying probably the most loving words I will ever hear him utter.

 

“I’m sorry, Lily. It is your grandfather’s fault. Do not blame your parents. I, I love you, Lily. Grandfather loves you most in this world, just remember that, and live happily. One day, you’ll find the happiness that you deserve. Grandfather promises you that―I will give you happiness.”

 

~

 

That happened seven years ago and I have not seen grandfather since that day; even he, left me. Like my parents, he locked himself in his clock tower and worked day and night. I never got a letter or even a text message. Not even a good bye.

 

I am sixteen now. Normally, I should be in school, but my parents think it unnecessary. They just hired private tutors for me, and focused on my newly adopted younger brother. My father seems to fancy him, while my mother remains oblivious.

 

Since it was a bright Saturday afternoon, I decided to have tea in the gardens with my toys―teddy bear, penguin, and Snoopy. I was about to step outside when I saw my bodyguard, Mei, walking―scratch thatsprinting towards me.

 

Mei never sprints. The sight gave me chills. As I expected, she called me out, “Wait a second, young miss.”

 

I waited till she arrived in front of me. She looked perplexed.

“Yes, Mei? Did mother perhaps wanted to have tea with me?” I asked Mei, still hopeful.

“No, Miss. It’s about your grandfather.” She paused. She could not look me at the eye, seeming so bothered about what she was about to say.

“What about granddad? Is he home? Did he finally go home!?” I asked, really hopeful this time. This news would be even better than mother asking me to accompany her for tea! “Where is he now? In his office? His library? Or his bedroom!? Where, Mei!?” I shook Mei, as I could not contain my eagerness to see my grandfather.

 

“No, it’s not that Miss. It’s, I, your mother called me five minutes ago saying that, that your grandfather died.”

 

Just like nine years ago, I was held immobile.

 

She saw my expression and looked down, “I, I’m really sorry, Miss.”

 

As I was nine years ago, I could not say anything.

 

I, I was just standing there, momentarily stunned.

 

“Miss, miss, please speak. Your parents are looking for you, saying that you need to go to the office quickly for the reading of your grandfather’s will.” She took my hand in hers and squeezed it.

 

That seemed to wake me up. Of course, my parents would care more about the money my grandfather left behind than he literally leaving us. I, if I was not overgrown with sorrow, would have been furious. But, I was still in pain. I was still vulnerable; I did not want to believe it.

 

“But, but he said! Mei, he said that he’d give it to me! He said that! He, he promised! Do not lie to me, Mei! I, I will fire you! I’ll tell dad to fire you! Take it back! He said it! He’ll give me happiness!”

 

And then, I passed out.

 

~

 

I woke up in the hospital, thinking that it was all a dream. I can see the silhouette of my parents standing in front of me, seeming to argue about something, while my brother was seating comfortably at the sofa.

 

“Why would that old geezer give this little everything, huh?” My dad asked my mom. What were they talking about?

“Don’t call our daughter that! You do realize that she owns everything now! Not you or your son, even when he grows up! If I were you, I better get my act together and pretend to be a father.”

“What did you just say to me? If I am not a father, then what do you call yourself? You―”

 

I decided to finally intervene, “Mom, dad, what are you talking about? Where is grandfather?”

 

For some odd reason, mom quickly came to my side and touched my forehead.

 

“Are you okay now, sweetheart?” She asked me. I was shocked, but I loved it.

I nodded, “Did grandfather go somewhere? You were talking about him leaving me things.”

“Oh, oh baby, don’t you remember?”

“She passed out, of course she would not.” My dad glared at my mother.

I just looked at mom, hoping for an answer.

 

I wish I did not.

 

I wish I did not hear it for a second time, “Your grandfather, he passed away.”

 

If Mei felt sad about this news, my mother did not even blink an eyelash about her own father’s death.

 

And I just crashed and let my tears fall uncontrollably.

 

~

 

It was now grandfather’s funeral. I was wearing all black, still looking elegant, as my mother forced me to. I was holding  the teddy bear that gramps left me the day after our last talk; the same day he locked himself up in that clock tower.

 

If he thinks that that teddy bear replaced all the loneliness I have, then he was wrong. I am still alone, as I have always been.

 

I was still crying before the funeral, during the funeral, and after the casket have been placed in his spot in our family’s mausoleum. I can see from my parents’ expressions that I embarrass them in front of all our guests and other relatives, but I did not care. For the first time, I do not care about my parents.

 

As the guests were leaving, I was still crying. I could not take it; he still has not given it to me. He still has not given me happiness. I felt weak, and I accidentally sat down right before grandfather’s tombstone, still weeping.

 

My mother was shocked and tried to approach me, seeing that I embarrassed her even more, but Mei stopped her. I looked up, and for the first time, I felt thankful to Mei.

 

“I’m sorry, Madam, but the young mistress wished to not be disturbed. I will personally accept whatever punishment you will give me later on, but please, leave Miss Lily alone for now. I will bring her back safely at the manor later on.” I heard her tell my mother, and she finally relented.

 

~

 

At the gathering at home, after the funeral, while everyone got over grandfather’s death so easily, laughing and dining inside our home, I was outside by our Oak tree.

 

I finally stopped crying, but I still could not let go of the teddy bear that he left me. I do not know why, but may be, if I just continue holding unto this teddy bear, he will come back and tell me, “Thank you for taking care of that teddy bear in grandfather’s place, Lily. Grandfather loves you.”

 

But it was all in vain, he was not going back. Still, I will continue holding my teddy bear, holding unto dear hope, just as Pandora did.

 

I was still just staring into the skies idly when suddenly there was an old man in front of me,

“You must be Lily.”

 

I looked up, it was not grandfather, but he looked familiar.

 

“Do not be scared. I am a friend of your grandfather’s. Do you mind letting me sit beside you?”

 

I contemplated a bit, a little scared that he might do me harm, but I decided that I needed a companion. Even a stranger was okay, as long as there was someone.

 

I nodded at his expecting face, and he sat down beside me.

 

“Thank you.” We were silent for about five minutes when he started talking to me again,

 

“He really loved you, you know. He said that you were the most beautiful being in this world, and God’s greatest gift to him. I thought he was just boasting about his granddaughter, but I realize now that it is true.”

 

I smiled a bit at this.

 

“Aha, even more beautiful now that you are smiling.”

 

“Mister, thank you.”

 

“Thank me for what?”

 

“For being grandfather’s friend. He deserved to have one, you know.”

 

“Ah, of course. Of course, he does.” He seemed to have a solemn smile now.

 

“Did you know that he was the most stubborn and cold-hearted man that ever existed in this world?”

 

I was about to protest, when he continued,

 

“He was, so I was shocked when one day, he came up to me, and told me that he would create ‘happiness.’ After years of not speaking with each other, he just entered my life suddenly nine years ago, and told me this: ‘Arnold! I’m going to create the greatest thing that will ever exist! I am going to give my granddaughter happiness.’”

 

I was caught off guard, and I turned to look at Mr. Arnold’s face. He now has my full attention. He looked me in straight it the eye and continued his story with an unreadable expression,

 

“I thought he has finally gone crazy, but then, he showed me this blueprint, and when he did, I just knew. He really is crazy.”

 

I giggled a bit. He tried to smile.

 

“You see, your grandfather was a genius, and sometimes, being a genius borders on being crazy.  So, I immediately shunned him away and told him to talk crap to someone who actually wants to listen. But, as I told you, he was stubborn. He pursued me almost every day till I finally relented into helping him when I do not even know why he needed my help.” I was confused, and he tried to explain,

 

“He used to do things alone, you see.” He choked a bit, “I just realized too late why he needed me. A little too late, my dear.”

 

His eyes betrayed the smile he tried to give me. I could not read what that expression meant. I thought he was going to continue his story, but he did not utter another word for a long while, and was just looking at me. He was looking at me as if he was trying to assure himself about something.

 

“Did he succeed?” I finally voiced out.

 

“That, my dear, is for you to find out.” He then gave me an antic key, “You see the clock tower that overlooks the whole city?” I nodded, “Go there. At the back, there is door hidden by vines that leads to a staircase to your grandfather’s workroom. He said everything is now yours.” He looked sad upon finishing his statement.

 

“Thank you, other gramps. Thank you so much!” I stood up, wanting to get to the clock tower immediately. I was sprinting towards Mei, when he called out to me, “Lily!” I looked back; he still has that sad smile.

 

“Please be happy.” I nodded at him and dashed off.

 

I will be happy.

 

~

 

I ran to Mei earlier and begged her to bring me to the clock tower. Seeing that I was frantic, and that I begged her so much, she reluctantly agreed. She secretly drove me towards the clock tower, and now I am here.

 

I still cannot believe it. It was beautiful. From afar, it looked domineering, but looking at it up close, it was beautiful. Suddenly, I remember an old memory from when I was younger.

 

“Granddad, why does mom hate that clock tower?” Grandfather seemed caught off guard at my statement.

 

“What do you mean by that, my princess?”

 

“Well, remember how you always tell me that you used to create really amazing stuff there? I told her that I wanted to go there and see all the stuff that you made, grandfather!” I smiled and continued, “I was really excited, but she told me no and she called that place the devil. She said I should never go near that place or I’ll be a bad kid just… just like you. She said that, and I’m sorry, grandfather. Don’t cry, please. You’re not bad.”

 

I saw him crying by then, and I was devastated. I did not know what to do, so I just hugged him tight,

 

“I love you so much, grandfather. Please do not cry. Lily will be sad; you said that you do not want Lily to be sad.”

 

Grandfather just held me tighter and when he finally calmed down he put some space between us, but he still embraced me,

 

“Lily, I want you to listen carefully to grandfather.”

 

I nodded. He looked me straight in the eyes,

 

“Grandfather, I, I created that clock tower so that my family, you, will be happy. Your mother will someday understand that, just like how you understand grandfather, okay? She does not hate that clock tower; it is just that she does not understand that clock tower. But one day, you can make her understand. Will you, Lily? Will you make mom understand?”

 

I nodded again, “I promise, grandfather.”

 

“Thank you. Thank you, Lily. One day, you will see that clock tower. Everything that grandfather has worked hard for in his life is there, and it is for you and your mother to share. You two are my only family left, treat that as your home, because that is the reason it was built from the start. Everything is for you.”

 I looked up the skies and spoke, “I get it now grandfather. It really does feel like home.”

 

I found the back door hidden by the rose vines. Rose. It was my mother’s name. Now that I am looking at it, the clock tower seemed to be surrounded by rose vines.

 

I searched for the lock thinking it would by at the side, but I found it by the center, nearer to the left.

 

“Always remember that the heart is not in the center, Lily. It is near the center, but more to the left. Here, touch it. Do you hear grandfather’s heartbeat? There, there lie you, Lily, because grandfather loves you. That is the proof.”

 

I pried away the rose vines and saw the lock; it was shaped like a lily. Just as he said, he really loves me. I placed the key in and unlocked the door. Unlike other doors, this does not have a knob. I had to push the door by force, but it did not feel heavy at all.

 

Once inside, I was amazed. If the outside was beautiful, the inside was enchanting. It was like entering a fantasy world. Different machinery here and there. All in different shiny colors; it was like being in Santa Claus’s workshop. Christmas lights were all around me, as if they never go off, but what I really loved was the mini white board hanging on staircase. It says, “Welcome Home, Lily!”

 

I cried, but this time, I felt happy.

 

“I’m home, grandfather.”

 

After basking in the glory of the place, I decided to explore the upper parts. I finally arrived at the attic. I saw grandfather’s workshop. His mini kitchen, mini dining table, his bookshelf, and everything he loved.

 

Among all of these, I chose to go to his worktable. I sat at his chair and I swear I could smell his scent, his fatherly scent. I imagined him working day and night in this spot―thinking about his family at home, thinking about the future… and thinking about me. How he will make us happy.

 

I miss him.

 

Without knowing it, I fell asleep. I awoke a couple of hours later with the sound of a duck quacking. I turned around and saw the cutest animal ever, and he had this ribbon around his neck.

 

I approached it, and saw a name plate hanging in the ribbon. Ralph, it says.

 

I smiled, “Hi, Ralph! Let’s be friends, okay?”

 

Ralph replied with a quack, but suddenly left all the while quacking. He left me and went towards a small three stepped ladder leading to another room that I did not notice before. Ralph looked back to me and quacked thrice.

 

“Do you want me to go there?”

 

He quacked again. I followed him.

 

I do not know why, but I suddenly felt nervous. I momentarily forgot about this “happiness” that grandfather left me behind. Could it be? May be, is this it?

 

I walked slower than ever. Unsure of what I should feel. I dreaded and anticipated this moment all my life.

 

I arrived at the bottom of the ladder.

 

Three more steps.

 

One.

 

Two.

 

Three.

 

I arrived at the entryway.

 

I looked up.

 

I finally saw the happiness grandfather has given me.

 

I finally saw him.