「 미안합니다 」*myungsoo's story pt.8

「 미안합니다 」*i am sorry.

myungsoo's story

 may tenth twenty ten 

I won. No wait. Maybe it made more sense to say 'We won'. But who was 'we' in this situation? So I guess, 'I won' would suffice, right? My eyes trailed over to Jiyeon who seemed expressionless at the teacher's announcement. With Jieun transferred to another school, there was no way Jiyeon would be able to give her the notebook. And Jiyeon said so herself that her main goal was to kill Jieun, everyone else that had read the notebook did it by accident. So this meant that the deaths would stop, right? I stared at the back of Jiyeon's head as if expecting an answer to telepathically enter my mind. 

School finally started to go back to it's usual routine. A few days passed and nothing eventful happened. Days slowly turned into weeks, and everyone in class seemed to be happy and healthy. Well, except for Jiyeon. She was getting noticeably thinner, and she seemed to be getting sicker or weaker, missing a few days of school every week. But I honestly didn't care. The days without her in class were much better. The room felt brighter, and the air was less suffocating. I would lie if I said that she wasn't an eyesore in class. Was I being harsh? Maybe. But she deserved it. I really hated her. If I could, I would bring her straight to the police on account of murder, but I had no legitimate proof, aside from the notebook, which I had promptly shredded when I got home to prevent anymore accidents from occuring. Besides, as if the police would believe such a stupid story.

---

Sitting at the foot of my bed, I was getting ready to sleep until my phone rang. I was hesitant to pick it up remembering that the last time I did, my best friend had died on the line. Taking a few deep breaths and reassuring myself that everything was going to be okay, I flipped my cellphone open and pressed it against my ears. 

"Hello?" I asked.

On the other side of the line, I heard the sounds of someone pacing back and forth in a rather hurried way. The fact that I could hear this probably meant that the person on the other line was extremely worried or nervous about something. 

"O-oppa..." A girl muttered, her voice on the verge of breaking.

This voice. This voice definitely belonged to the class rep. What the hell was she doing calling me at almost midnight?? More importantly, when did I ever give her my phone number? I pushed that thought aside and focused on what was going on now.

"This is Jieun, right? What's wrong?" 

"Oppa, did you send me a text message just now??" She asked anxiously.

"...No, I don't even know your number." I replied blankly.

Suddenly, a loud screech was emitted, and I immediately pulled the phone away from my ear. 

"Jieun, what the hell?! What's going on??" 

"It's her!! It's her! S-she's coming!! IT'S HER!!!" Jieun screamed, then started murmuring something incoherently. 

Before I had a chance to reply to her, the line went dead. 

---

The next day, I stormed in to the classroom, already knowing who was going to be there early. Walking up to Jiyeon's desk, I pried her book out of her hands and forcefully threw it on the ground.

"Why did you message Jieun yesterday pretending to be me?!" I yelled angrily, my eyes locked onto hers as if hoping I could burn her retinas with my stare. 

"I told you. I will kill Jieun." She smiled lightly, reaching down to grab her book off the floor. However before she had a chance, I promptly stepped on it, preventing her from picking it up.

"And I told you that if you write again, I'll break your hands." 

"It's too late now. She's already seen it." Jiyeon replied nonchalantly, grabbing another book out of her desk. 

"What is the matter with you?! Jieun already left the school! Why are you so hung up about killing her?!" 

No response.

I clenched my fist, attempting to suppress my urge to land my fist into her face. 

"It was really hard to write that message. I had to condense my words so it would fit. I had to choose and pick the words carefully..." She muttered softly, not answering my earlier question. 

"Like I ca-" Before I could finish, my phone vibrated, indicating that I had received a message. Opening up my inbox, my eyes widened when I saw the title of the new message. 'From Myungsoo - Please Read.' I mouthed out. This message had to be the one Jieun received. So that meant Jiyeon sent me a copy too?? Looking at the phone number, I wasn't able to identify if it was a prank by another student in class. This meant...that this was from Jiyeon right? She was trying to kill me now? Slamming my phone shut, I glanced up ready to break her fingers but as I looked up, red blood sprayed across my uniform. 

Instinctively jumping back, I glanced down at my clothes wondering if the blood belonged to me. Noticing that I was unharmed, my eyes shot up to Jiyeon. That's when I realized that she had a large kitchen knife lodged in the side of her neck. Behind her was a bloodied Jieun, with a sinister grin on her face, and dark bags under her eyes. My throat went dry, and my legs gave way. Slapping my hand over I mouth, I began to choke up at the sight. The strong smell of iron began to fill my nose, and my vision started getting blurry. All the blood was starting to make me feel faint. But for some strange reason, although my head told me to look away, or better yet, run away, I was unable to tear my eyes away from the scene in front of me. 

Jiyeon had now collapsed to the ground, with blood pooling around her head. Jieun had pulled the knife out from her neck and proceeded to stab Jiyeon's stomach. In and out. In and out. The short haired brunette plunged the knife deep into Jiyeon's body and with each stab, her force slowly increased. Jiyeon's body was starting to become an unrecognizable, grotesque mush of slashed intestines and shredded skin. Blood was now pouring out of her body at an alarmingly fast rate, and Jieun's once-white uniform had been stained red. Finally, Jieun pulled the knife out of Jiyeon's body, satisfied with her work. 

My eyes were glued onto the bloodied knife, fresh drops of red liquid and flesh still hung onto the blade. Was she going to kill me now? Because I was a witness? My body stayed numb, and I was unable to move. My gaze trailed down from the knife to Jiyeon's face which was now upturned to face me. My body went cold. Jiyeon's lifeless eyes seemed to stare at me. 

'Curses only grow stronger with the death of the originator. If it's by murder or mutilation, the curse becomes even more powerful...'

That statement somehow appeared in my mind, and as soon as it did, a wide smile formed on Jiyeon's lips.

Moving backwards from the shock, my back hit the wall and the force startled me, causing me to break eye contact with Jiyeon. When I looked back at her, her smile was gone and her eyes were closed.

"Y-you ! I won! I WON!!!" Jieun screamed happily.

With my thoughts interrupted, my gaze now fell upon the shorter girl who had stood up above Jiyeon. Her clothes dripping with blood, and chunks of flesh clung onto the hem of her skirt and her knees. 

"AHAHAHAHAA!!" She laughed almost maniacally. She brought the knife to her neck and in one swift motion, sliced her own throat open. Her body collapsed to the ground, and she lay motionless beside Jiyeon.

I stayed frozen in my position, unable to move. Suddenly a scream was heard from the doorway, and immediately a crowd of students began to gather. The next few moments were hazy, but I felt myself being dragged out of the room. And the next moment I realized I was in the hospital.