Everlasting

Countryside

 

Far in the countryside, thirty-six miles from the closest town, lies a valley and in that valley sits a quaint little house. The house has freshly painted black shutters, a big red door, and a wrap around porch that is surrounded by tenderly loved gardens. On the porch sits an old women and her husband, who sits rocking back and forth as he reads her favorite book. The book is not particularly pleasant for it is quite grim and sad but it is her favorite non the less.

Once the sun begins to set, the man marks the book, regretful that he couldn't finish it, and places it on the table next to him. He removes the blanket from his lap and stands up, holding onto the arm rest to keep his balance. He walks to his wife's chair and gathers as much strength as his old body can muster and lifts his wife's light, fragile body to carry her into their bedroom where he places her on the bed. He tucks her in and bends down to kiss her forehead before moving to his dresser, covered in old pictures of their life together, to change into his nicest pajamas.

When he lays down beside his wife, he turns to her, grasping her cold, stiff fingers and prays. He prays that he wouldn't wake to see the next morning, prays that he would see his beloved wife soon. Before he knew it the old man's eyes had shut and the world had gone dark.

As the old man ascends to heaven he looks down upon his house and wonders how long it will take for someone to find their bodies. Would they still be recognizable or would they be so decayed that all is left is pure white bones? He wonders how long it will take for their son to find out that they were dead. Their son that never called, never visited. He wishes their son well and looks up to continue onward in his journey to heaven. As he reaches the end he sees his wife, who smiles at him as she stretches out her hands to him. He takes hold of her warm, beautiful hands and stares into the eyes of the women he loved for seventy-five years. 

Breaking eye contact, they turn around and walk through the pearly gates into everlasting happiness.