The first volley

Love letter wars

 

A/N: Teeth-gnashing and probably cringe-worthy poems up ahead. They're quite pretty nice though. Obviously, the poems here aren’t written by WonKyu (nor me, lol what even) but for the purpose of the story, let’s pretend that they did. Credits go to their original writers who are mostly anonymous.

 

***************

“All men are wolves,” Siwon grinned with the most maddening expression that surely irritated the maknae, “That’s the best advice you can give? And you’re a man too, you know.”

“Exactly, so I know how her boyfriend’s mind works, Mr. English writer,” Kyuhyun retorts.

“You’re also a wolf, Mr. Science student,” the older boy responds in kind.

“Ugh! Can you two just stop already?” Sungmin snaps as he raises his head from the fluffy, pink pillow he brought with him to the van.

Ryeowook sighs in sympathy, “They still can’t move on from that,” he says as he rummages through his bag for his headphones, intending to drown out the silly argument his two bandmates were still going on about two days after it happened.

“I feel sorry for that girl,” Sungmin muttered not for the time as he buries his face again into his pillow.

“Wha-? Why?” Both boys asked at the same time and Ryeowook had to roll his eyes. Seriously, they should already know the answer to this.

“Because obviously, she wanted some stranger to read her love letter to her boyfriend and what’s more, let said stranger give her unsolicited advice through writing on her personal diary,” Sungmin irritably mumbles and normally, one wouldn’t be able to hear what he said distinctly considering that his voice was muffled by the pillow but Siwon and Kyuhyun had already heard various versions of this scolding from the other members so can figure out what he had said.

“But seriously Kyu, surely you can’t deny that what I said made more sense,” Siwon continued, totally oblivious that the younger boy’s upper lip was now curling into a snarl, “I mean, you admitted it yourself in that postscript.

“I only said that you wrote more eloquently but what I said was more sensible,” Kyuhyun growled.

“But…”

“You know what?” Sungmin suddenly sat up and his voice was a little shrill, “I don’t only feel sorry for the girl because you two don’t know the meaning of privacy but also because it’s you two who ironically had to give her love advice.”

Siwon had a comical expression of astonishment while Kyuhyun just asked loftily, “Excuse me? What is that supposed to mean, hyung?”

“You…” Sungmin pointed to a slightly startled Siwon, “skinship that you are fall all over yourself trying to get Kyu’s attention and you!” This time, he pointed to Kyuhyun, “can’t seem to shut up how annoying but handsome Siwon is, whether in the dorms or on tv.”

Siwon now raised an eyebrow in confusion while Kyuhyun just asked, “So? What does that have to do with this?”

Sungmin gaped at both of them in shock then just gave a frustrated moan and almost screamed, “Figure it out yourselves!” then he buried his face in his pink pillow again.

The two boys looked with confusion at their hyung before they looked at each other and seemed to start their argument again but Ryeowook hastily intervened, “Honestly, why are you two so worked up about this?”

Siwon smiled, “Oh that’s because-…” then he paused, a furrow starting to form in his forehead because now that he thought about it, why was he hugely enjoying himself in irritating his dongsaeng? Surely, it wasn’t precisely because of just that, was it?

Kyuhyun just gave a loud hiss, crossed his arms and stared outside the window.

Ryeowook looked from one person to the other before he smiled and suddenly said, “I got it!”

“Got what?”

Ryeowook ignored the irritated tone of their maknae and continued, “Since you both think that you did that girl a favour by reading her most private thoughts and feelings, then why don’t you see how she must have felt?”

Siwon raised one of his famous eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

“How about you try to put yourselves in that girl’s shoes and find out how brave she was to confess her innermost feelings? How about writing a love letter yourselves and see how difficult it was, how pure her feelings were. How maybe she might or might not have made a wrong decision about her boyfriend but still the most important thing is, she actually knew what love meant even if she’d probably get her heart broken in the end.”

There was silence for a few minutes.

Then Kyuhyun gave a loud laugh while Siwon just smiled amusedly. “Seriously, Wookie. What the hell are you trying to suggest?” Kyuhyun asked mockingly.

Ryeowook blushed but persisted, “Why? What’s wrong with it?”

“What’s wrong with it? Are you kidding? That has got to be the most convoluted, nonsensical, ludicrous-…”

“Let’s do it!”

Kyuhyun glanced sharply at Siwon, “What?”

Siwon just shrugged and was grinning, “I said let’s do it. So what Ryeowook wants us to do is write a love letter, right? And whoever writes the best one wins?” Ryewook nodded while Kyuhyun continued to gape at him, “You afraid to lose?” he teased the maknae.

Kyuhyun scowled, “That’s my line! Ok, you know what, let’s do this. So how does this work? We write a bunch of love letters and judge who wrote the best one?”

Siwon nodded, his competitive spirit awakened, “Yes, let’s write more than one so it’s more fair,” then he suddenly frowned, “But we need a recipient. Ryeowook, who do we pretend to be writing the love letters to?”

Ryeowook blinked, “Why not write them to each other?”

***************

Kyuhyun woke up to find an envelope slipped under the bedroom door. He unfolded it and scanned the lines. It was Siwon’s first love letter to him and while he rolled his eyes a couple of times, he couldn’t help but chuckle at the last few lines.

The letter, which was in a form of a love poem, read:
 

To my baby Kyuhyun,

I do believe that God above
Created you for me to love.
He picked you out among the rest
Because He knew I'd love you best.

I have a heart, yes it’s true
But now it's gone, from me to you
So take care of it, as I have done
For you have two and I have none.

When I go to heaven and you’re not there
I'll wait for you at the golden stairs
But if you don’t come on Judgment Day
Then I'll know you went the other way.

So I'll return my angel's wings
My golden lamp and everything.
To prove to you that my love is true
I'll go to hell to be with you.

 

It was signed simply with a heart and ‘Siwon’. Kyuhyun didn’t know whether to laugh or crumple the paper and throw it at his hyung’s head when they go to practice later that afternoon. But morning and noon came and went and he had folded the letter neatly and pocketed it in his jeans as the members went to the practice studio.

“Why are you smiling?” Sungmin asked. Kyuhyun glanced at him questioningly, “You’ve been smiling since this morning. It’s quite unnerving actually.”

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, “What? You mean you want me to be scowling all the time?” he pouted.

Sungmin just chuckled as he ruffled the younger boy’s hair, “Of course not, I was just surprised. You always look so grouchy and sleepy especially when you lose sleep over your precious games, so this is a nice surprise.”

Kyuhyun would normally tell his hyung that he didn’t lose sleep over his games or he wasn’t smiling at all but he just…continued to smile. He didn’t know why he felt a little bit giddy and Donghae and Eunhyuk were now commenting on it too. There were days when they had to gauge what was their maknae’s mood. Whether they would need to avoid his sharp tongue because he was in a bad mood or would they be treated to hugs and calculated aegyo because he was in a playful mood.

“Yo, you seem to be in a good mood,” Eunhyuk commented as he started leading the members into their positions in the dance.

Donghae walked up to him and put an arm around the younger one’s shoulders, “You’ve been smiling all this time Kyuhyun. Did something good happen?”

Kyuhyun just leaned playfully to his hyung’s embrace, he didn’t know why but he really did feel good. “Nothing really.” Then he suddenly encountered Siwon’s amused gaze from the mirrors lining the walls of the dance studio.

“Alright, let’s start!” Leeteuk clapped his hands and motioned for everyone to get in position.

This…this couldn’t be because of that silly and cheesy poem right? Kyuhyun metally shook himself as he averted his gaze from Siwon. He remembered that he had even brought the letter with him. He frowned, he hadn’t liked the way Siwon had grinned. It was as if he thought it was because of his letter that’s why Kyuhyun was in a good mood. Smug bastard.

The next night, Kyuhyun thought long and hard what he would write to Siwon. The poem Siwon gave him was meant to be funny but it affected him more than it should. He didn’t want that. He decided he wasn’t going to write something in the same vein, he’d write a poem too but something serious. Something that’ll chastise his opponent.

***************

“For you,” Siwon took the proffered letter from Kyuhyun. He raised his eyebrows in surprise at the serious tone from the younger boy but before he could ask or , Kyuhyun already went away to the waiting van. Siwon was going to ride in the other van.

He boarded the vehicle and chose to sit in the last row which most members avoided since it was slightly cramped. Because no one sat beside him and because he was curious and a little bit impatient at what Kyuhyun wrote him (yes, he figured at once that this could be none other than Kyuhyun’s love letter), he gently unfolded the paper and read:  

To Siwon,

Never say “I love you” if you really don’t care

Never talk about your feelings if they aren’t really there

Never touch a life, if you mean to break a heart

Never say you’re going to, if you don’t plan to start

Never look me in the eye if all you do is lie

Never say “hello” if you really mean “goodbye.”

Kyuhyun

Siwon was stunned. This was not what he was expecting. It didn’t matter that this was just make-believe but after seeing Kyuhyun smile like that the other day, he thought he did a pretty good job of confessing his feelings even if he chose to write a humorous poem for it.

Whoa! Siwon backtracked on his thoughts. Not exactly “confess his feelings.” This was just a game after all but yes, he supposed that it was a game of make-believe of confessing one’s feelings. Even if…   

“Hyung, I’ve noticed you and Kyuhyun seem to be avoiding each other?”

Siwon glanced at Ryeowook who had looked back at him from his seat in front, “Huh? We’re not,” he denied but somehow he felt unsure about it. He didn’t know why but somehow, Ryeowook was right. Ever since they started this contest, Kyuhyun seemed to avoid being alone with him and he…

He sighed. For some reason, he also seemed to distance himself too. Not because he was angry or anything but because he felt a little shy talking to the person who was the reason he was struggling to compose poems for. He preferred watching Kyuhyun’s reaction to the letter he wrote, wondering if he liked it.

Like a lovesick suitor awaiting his beloved’s response.

Siwon shook his head and cleared his throat as Ryeowook was still watching him, “We just, ah, we just seem…we’re all just busy right?” He forced a chuckle, “Besides, we’re both okay. See,” he raised the paper in his hand but taking care not to reveal the written side, “We’re doing this love letter game.”

Ryeowook looked thoughtfully at him for a minute or two before he nodded, “So that’s it. Oh well, I’m glad. I’ll feel bad if you both suddenly get uncomfortable with each other. I was the one who suggested this contest after all.”

***************

A/N2: I'm sorry, I had to cut it into two parts ;_; I read it again and it was quite long-ish and there was a change of tone from here to the next. Well, this one turned out to be really silly and just really isn’t my style but I just couldn’t resist doing it XD.