Chapter 2 : The Sparta Proof

You are My Everything

The next day, you came to school as usual with the city bus. When you came, the whiteboard has been written an announcement:

                “For whole class, the time for changing clothes is only five minutes. More than that, you have to choose one: Clean the field or do 40 push-ups in one minute.

Cha Seung Won”

 

                Hmm, this teacher directly applied disciplinary at the first day, you said to yourself inside. You smiled and tidied up your stuffs on your seat in the class. Then Suzy came, greeted you, and put her stuffs beside you. Then she saw that announced on that board. She laughed.

                “Anyway, I’ve heard a lot that there are many nicknames that our seniors have used for him, like doggy, dogpoop, even butthole.” said Suzy again.

                You laughed loudly, “Are you joking?”

                “Of course, I’ve heard a lot. Some of my friends are seniors, and I’ve heard a lot of them, when I asked about Mr Cha, they answered ‘that doggy’ “said her, “Hmm, I feel so lucky today I came a little bit earlier so I can see this prank. Last night I slept earlier too as I got cold.”

                “What happened?” you said

                “I played with the rain after school yesterday.”

                Suzy's home was far away from your home, that’s why she got rain but you didn’t. As you chat with her, the bell rings and both of you saw Cha Seung Won has come in front of your class with his jumpsuit and whistle that was always ready to be used. He watched the whole class with the eyes like eagles’ eyes. (Like Son Hyuk’s eyes hahaha). Then both of  you directly rushed out of the class, greeted him, then went into the restroom for changing clothes.

                The worse condition was while changing clothes, you can hear Mr. Cha screaming clearly loudly with the voice (like Dokko Jin) “MAKE QUEUES DIRECTLY AFTER HAVING FINISHED CHANGING CLOTHES! FOR THOSE WHO ARE LATE, DO 50 PUSH-UPS OR SCOT JUMPS IN ONE MINUTE!!!”

                The restroom became noisier as many girls complained about that crazy rule. Only girls who had joined fitness for years who can do it, you thought. Maybe this wouldn’t be a big deal for the boys, except for the kinda boys who aren’t sporty like the other boys. Additionally scot jumps aren’t big deal for you, but doing push-ups is your weakness.

                “No time to waste for chats here if we got this tyrant as our teacher, let’s go quick” said Suzy while rushing to change her clothes as you did the same.

                After that you and the rest girls quickly quitted from the restroom and made queues against Mr. Cha in the hall near the restroom. The boys had waited earlier in the hall.

                “Great that today no one’s late. Just 5 seconds before the limit,” said Mr. Cha.

                Wow, the detail time he also counted, you said to yourself. Suzy patted your shoulders as her relief that no one got to do that crazy rapid push-ups or scot jumps. Meanwhile, Mr.Cha was checking for absence of any of your classmates.

                “Ok. Today’s session is warming up and introduction. We will make agreements for this class and do the warm-up exercises. Now let’s start walking to the field.”

                “Ye, seonsaengnim,” said the whole class together, including you.

                Then the whole class walked in 2 queues to the field. That day the field was a little bit wet as it rained the previous night. At first the whole class was asked to jog around the volleyball, soccer and basketball field 5 times for the girls and eight times for the boys. You ran together with Suzy.

                “Feels like today’s weather not too fine,” said your confidant, “The leaves on the trees are wet.”

                “Yeah, that’s right,” you said, “what I’m afraid of is there may be many caterpillars’ eggs on the trees.”

                “I’ve ever been stung by a caterpillar. It makes my whole skin very itchy until I have to rest three days,” said your confidant again.

                “Hmm, when did it happen?”

                “When I was a fifth grader.”

                “So long before this time. Maybe we don’t feel that 4 years have come too fast, do we?”

                “Yeah, and I feel it hard to believe. We are freshman now, but it feels like yesterday we’re still little girls.”

                You chatted with Suzy a lot and slowly both of you stopped to jog, starting to walk  instead. Many girls started to walk too. Mr. Cha watched at you without your conscience.

                “THIS TIME IS FOR JOGGING, NOT WALKING. OK?” Mr.Cha yelled.

                You and Suzy started to jog again. You felt that his eyes were like eyes of eagle, able to see anything happening. You looked at him and you saw him watching over anyone jogging or walking around. After some time, he blew his whistle loudly and asked the whole class to enter the basketball field. He asked two of your classmates to clean the field from the water using squeegee mops.

                “Kim ____________!” he called your name after that.

                “Ne?” you answered.

                “Come here!”

                You came to Mr. Cha and he gave you a bunch of keys. He asked you to take some balls from the warehouse for playing kick-baseball later without locking the warehouse after that. You obeyed his order while he asked your classmates to sit and 2 classmates to listen what he said while cleaning the field. You ran into the warehouse, quickly found the key to unlock the doors. Luckily you heard that Mr.Cha asked the whole class to wait for your two classmates cleaning the field and you until you came back to the field. You took the ball quickly and ran to the field, putting the ball on the place that Mr.Cha asked, and sitting near Suzy.

                “Well, Kids, don’t be shocked if I often shout like what I did when I came into your class first time this morning. In this school I will and have to be strict to form well disciplinary in all of you. We have 4 hours of sports in a week. I’ll tell you what has been the agreement between the teachers for this lesson. First I told you, right after the bell rings, girls directly go to the restroom. The time for changing clothes is only five minutes, as the sports time would be cut by changing clothes and the time for you walking to this field. After changing clothes, make lines in the hall. Plus if I give you time for jogging, jog, not walk! And no physical fight allowed in this lesson. I’ll give you lot of games for fun.”

The whole class responded happily for his plan for giving lot of games. Then he asked the whole class to listen again.

“But If you harmed your friends in the games, of course there will be a punishment for you. Then, for every rule that you break, like being late to finished changing clothes and enter the lines of your class, and walking when you’re asked to jog, you have to choose to do 50 push-ups, scot jumps, or sit-ups in one minute. And for harming friends during the game, you have to do it two times more than what I asked.”

“Ne?” the whole class fell into shock. This teacher is military-like. 50 push-ups or sit-ups or scot jumps just in 60 seconds? Like what military workers had to do to increase the strength, being applied for high school students? For sophomores, tenth grader? Some people might find this not a big problem, but the others?

“You’re shocked? I can do 100 push-ups in a minute,” said Mr. Cha confidently (like what Dokko Jin claimed).

The whole class chattered in unbelief, some were fascinated, some were doubtful about this. You and Suzy stared each other in shock and doubt.

“You don’t believe it? You need me to show it?” said him confidently, “Who brings timer?”

You Lee Hong Ki brought that kind of watch. You saw Hong Ki looking at him raising an eyebrow for a while of doubt. That same time, you felt Mr. Cha was too narcissistic to do this. Hong Ki raised his hand and showed his watch. Worse, Mr. Cha knew the way Hong Ki looked at him.

“Would you like to do it?” said Hong Ki.

“If you asked me to, Lee Hong Ki-ah” answered Mr. Cha, “If I can fulfill it, run around this whole field five times in two minutes after the next warm-up exercise. Will you?”

“I will, sonsaengnim,” answered Hong Ki. The whole class fell into noise of anxiety for the betting result. Some bet for Mr. Cha, some bet for Hong Ki.

“But his muscle seems to show his experience of sports,” said Suzy to you, “It’s impossible that he used fake muscle. If he used fake muscles, how can he work as sports teacher here?”

“Muscles are shaped not just a day,” you said and realized, “He must be a very hard working person. But doesn’t it sound too narcissistic?”

Meanwhile, Mr. Cha was preparing himself to do the push-ups. He asked your confidant to count for him and you to look at the time, setting countdown timer to one minute for other witnesses beside Lee Hong Ki. Both you and Suzy greeted him and you approach him to see his watch. You smiled to him as you also doubted a little about Mr. Cha’s claim about his push-ups. He told you to look at Mr. Cha and count his push-ups carefully.

“Is the timer ready?” asked Mr. Cha.

“Ye, sonsaengnim,” said your confidant.

Then, Mr. Cha set his breathe and asked Suzy to start it. He started the push-ups, and you saw him doing it rapidly so you feel hard to count in words. You counted it carefully while your whole classmates yelled and clapped their hands following his push-ups. Until the countdown timer ran out and rang, you saw clearly that Mr. Cha reached one hundred.

“One hundred!” you screamed in shock right when the timer rang.

The whole class yelled with admiration seeing that fact, while Hong Ki saw it in shock. Mr Cha stood up and again set his breathe, and he smiled to your classmate and whole class. While the whole class clapped, he bowed as his respect.

Lee Hong Ki really fulfilled his promise. He directly asked Suzy to set the countdown timer into 2 minutes and you to count. Then the whole class was asked to stand up and make some queues.

“OK, now try to jog in queues, with the same speed each person with the person in front of you in the queue. When you reached the line of this field’s limit, spin and jog back here. While spinning to return, keep the same speeds so each line will move like a snake turning to the other side. Do it six times. Now make the queues.”

The whole class directly divided into queues. You were one queue with Suzy, your 2 new friends and Hong Ki. Then he blew his whistle for asking whole class to start the jog. While the whole class was jogging, he watches over. You found it harder and tougher to jog in line than to jog around the field.

 After that he gave the whole class stretching exercise. Then the whole class was allowed to have free time for game, meanwhile Hong Ki asked your confidant to set the timer and directly ran around the field when the timer started. You and Suzy yelled to strengthen him and to remind him to control his breathe. Luckily he was one of the best runners in your unit, not one who is not sporty. He finished his tenth lap right when the timer rang. You and Suzy clapped at him while you heard Mr. Cha also clapped for him behind you. Hong Ki smiles to thank your help for counting his time for running and strengthening him, also to thank Mr. Cha’s respect.

“You’re great, Hong Ki-ah!” you said.

“A gentleman will fulfill his promise, won’t he?” said Mr. Cha to him with his Dokko Jin’s smile, “I’m glad to meet such a word-responsible man like you.”

“Ah, it’s usual, Sonsaengnim,” said Hong Ki, “I’m not that great.”

“And three of you,” said Mr. Cha to Hong Ki, you and your confidant, “Quickly join the game with your friends.”