Airplane

Autism

“Appa, appa, appa, appaaa.”  I heard soft mumbling, concerned it was a child I quickly followed the sound.  I turned a corner, gazing a girl sobbing in the corner, her body in a tight ball.  She was covering her ears, even so I approached her slowly.  “Raine’s going to be okay.  Raine’s going to be okay.  Appas going to come and save Raine.”  Who is Raine?  I approached the girl but she didn’t seem to notice me even within touching distance.  What was wrong with her?  I lightly poked her; I couldn’t just leave her here in the corner.  She quickly turned around and grasped onto me, not even allowing herself a glance at me.  “Oppa!”  She sobbed on my shoulder, hugging me like there was nothing else in the world.  I pet her head, hugging her back.

“What’s wrong?”  I asked her.  She quickly broke the hug, her ears alert that I was clearly not her ‘oppa’ or ‘appa’

“Taecyeon!”  She puffed her cheeks.  She clearly knew me.  “Appa left…I went to find appa but but…”  I stared at her, she clearly had a mental problem at such an age but I couldn’t figure out what it was.  I got out my phone, calling Nichkhun.  Nichkhun was smart; he might have been able to help me.

“Yo-bo-seh-yo?”

“Nichk, I just found a lost girl…I don’t know what’s wrong with her.  Come over to my house, I’ll drive over there too in a second.”

“…I’m at a schedule.  Hold on and I’ll hurry over there.”

I hung up, looking at the girl.  She was pouting, and it was almost like an instinctive aegyo.  “You’ll be safe with me, okay?”  I held her hand into the car, feeling a fatherly sense in me.  Even though I hardly had any time to take care of myself, I felt like I could take of her too.  I opened the door for her, motioning her to get in.  Closing the door, I rushed over to my seat.

“Oppa!  Raine did it by herself!”  She pointed at her seatbelt and then stuck her lips out.  As if motioning for a reward.  I sighed, drowning myself into my hands.  How did I exactly get stuck with a child like her?  I quickly pecked at her lips, not wanting to cause any trouble.  I started up the car, giving her a quick glance before backing up.  She was smiling off, her eyes cross-eyed.  I laughed; she was a fun one even if she seemed like a lot of work.  I drove off to my house, listening to Raine sing.  I guess Raine was her name after all.  “Oppa, I see you a lot on TV, every time I see you, I can’t stop looking.”  I tried to resist from smiling this time, knowing her eyes were focused on me.  But I really couldn’t help it!  I smiled, making her go in bits of giggles.

I stopped, seeing my house close by.  I parked and quickly got Raine out of the car when I saw Nichk already here.  I held Raine’s hand and confronted Nichk.

“Ah!  Nichkhun oppa!”  Raine smiled.

“I don’t see anything wrong with her; she could just be a fan.”  Nichkhun whispered to me.

“I doubt it.  You’ll see.”  I took out my keys, and slid into my house.  Quickly taking off my shoes, I watched Raine diligently take off her shoes.  Nichk stared at her, only having Raine stare back.  Nichk quickly looked away, embarrassed.  I laughed.  “Falling in love with her are you?”

“I think she might have autism.”  Nichk stared at her placing her shoes in an exact position, right angle, no crooks or crannies.  “You should probably call the police.”  I looked out the window and at Raine.  I expected to take care of her for more than two days…but now?

“We should wait until tomorrow.  It’s too late right now.”  Nichk eyed me, so I looked away.  I stared at Raine who now made her way to the living room, her legs wide open while playing with a makeshift airplane.  It really was autism.  Autism could do this to such a beautiful girl that could’ve done so much more.  I smiled, quickly running to my basement.  I shoved open the door that wasn’t open in years.  Dust flew at me, making me cough, but I still quickly looked through the stuff I kept down here that was covered in spider webs.  I spotted a silver glare, finding my sparkling silver airplane.  I ran up, shutting the door behind me.  I handed the silver airplane to Raine, waiting for her reaction.  She smiled.

“Oppa.”

Just one word could make me smile back.

Next Day

Argh…neighbors are making noise again?  I woke up, still exhausted.  The melody of a piano was faint.  This obviously weren’t my neighbors.  I looked at the clock, early morning.  Maybe Nichk was on the piano?  Couldn’t be!  He left last night…a ghost?  I crawled out of my room, looking side to side, behind me every once in awhile.  I could make a slight silhouette out behind my piano.  I grabbed a nearby bat that magically appeared, walking a little faster, ready to swing it.  But all I saw was Raine.

“Oppa!”  She giggled and hugged me.  I hugged her back, the house phone in my sight.  I had to call today even…after breakfast!  I released Raine from my grasp but she wouldn’t.  She led me over to the table with food set.  She was really smart but autism seemed to keep things from her.  Knifes all set in one place and forks all set in one place.  I grabbed a spoon, spooning the smell-good food in my mouth, making my way over to the phone.

“Police Department, how may I help you?”  The voice was alert but courteous.

“I found a girl named Raine, she has autism.”

“Ah!  Her father and brothers are here now!  You better hurry; they look like they’ll die the next second.”  The police officer hung up.  At least Raine would be in safe hands if her family were practically dead without her.  I looked at Raine, who made her way back onto the piano.  How am I going to give her up?  I spooned more food into my mouth, listening to her melody.  As if she was saying goodbye but she didn’t know it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG1gbOjWWdI

At the Police Station

“Raine, wait for me okay?”  I gave her one last hug while taking her families address.  I walked her to her car and shut the door for her, watching the car leave as soon as she left.  She turned around, screaming words I couldn’t hear.  But I was sure was ‘oppa.’

2 months later

I knocked on the rusty door, waiting for a reply.  I was about to knock again but I saw an old mans eyes stare at me.

“You’re here!  She’s been sulking for two months!  I tried to figure out why but it seemed to be you!”  I let myself in, worried.  I scoped the room, seeing Raine in the room, clutching my silver airplane.

I poked her, looking at her glance at me this time.  I opened my arms in preparation, a goofy grin already placed on my face.

“Oppa!  I waited!”

 

___________________________

If you've come across this story.

Version 2 is HERE
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/30182/why-i-like-you-heechul-songfic-superjunior-you