Emerald Kingdom

Silver Wings

A carriage came to a halt in front of the palace gates. The solemn woman sitting inside held out an emerald studded crest to the guard. The armoured male instantly bowed in respect towards the lady.

“Your highness, forgive my ignorance.” The man said. “Open the gates! Lady Ember arrives!” The guard shouted towards the gates.

The man couldn’t help but stare at the two identical boys inside the carriage who were holding each other’s hands. The twin princes, thought the man.

The gates opened and the carriage trotted forward. A while later it came to a halt. The twin’s mother shifted from her seat and held their hand in hers. Outside, the voice of guards and servants rang about as they prepared to greet the returned princess. The twin’s mother smiled softly at them. “We’re home, my boys. Always show kindness and love as you were brought up. I’m proud of you.” “Yes, mother.” Both of them replied in sync. She kissed their foreheads and climbed down as the door was opened for her.

The aged king ran to his returned niece, his older brother’s only daughter. He embraced her with a cry of joy and sadness. “Oh, my dear Ember, how long it has been.” She smiled and kissed his cheek. “I’m home, uncle.”

“Em…” A soft voice called. The twin’s mother turned to her cousin. “Soyu!” The two women embraced each other, childhood girlish memories and the shock of losing their loved ones making their emotions overflow. “How sad our predicaments are, dear sister.” Soyu said with a tear filled voice. “But God has given us something to live up to. Meet my son, Minwoo.” A boy peaked shyly from behind her frock. “Nice to meet you, aunt Ember.” Minwoo shied away again.

 The woman smiled with kind eyes at the boy and knelt down. “Come, Minwoo, let your aunt embrace you.” Minwoo came out from hiding and hugged the woman with a happy smile, all his insecurity washed away.

The woman’s eyes widened. “You must meet my sons. They must be a year older than you, Minwoo.” She stood up and Minwoo went back to clinging to his mother. “Youngmin, Kwangmin, you can come out now.”

The blonde boy came out first followed by the brunette. Minwoo observed the blonde haired one with his keen eyes. He’s scary, thought Minwoo and clutched his mother’s frock tighter. Minwoo frowned, unable to see the other’s face. He pouted and observed them from where he was standing with his mother.

Kwangmin stood behind Youngmin as the King approached them with their mother. The imposing old man stared down at them with an observant glare. His eyes lingered on Youngmin before shifting to the one hiding behind the blonde. “Hmm…” The aged king hummed unable to get a good look.

“I’m Youngmin. It’s an honour to meet you, your majesty.” Youngmin bowed his head a little in greeting. The king’s eyes landed on Youngmin’s brown orbs. “It’s nice to meet you, I’m Kwangmin.” A soft voice greeted and the old man’s eyes shifted to a pair of deep blue ones looking at him from behind the blonde’s shoulder.

A few minutes of awkward silence elapsed before the old King decided to speak. “It confused me that you had two children when you gave birth only once. I see they’re twins.” Youngmin felt his lips twitch. The king was seriously thinking that, he thought feeling stupid. “Well then boys, welcome to the family.” The old man grinned and hauled the boys in a choking hug.

I can’t breathe, thought Kwangmin. “Oh, look at you, aren’t the two of you just adorable.” The old man said out loud in pure glee. Did he just squeal? Youngmin raised his eyebrow as the man swayed side to side with them in his embrace. The twin’s mother smiled at the old man’s behaviour.

Minwoo stared at them with a pout the entire time. He pulled his mother along with him. They entered the rowdy crowd, the only noise coming from the King though. “Ah! Meet your cousin, Minwoo.” The king literally picked up the shy boy and placed him in front of the twins. “Honoured, Prince Minwoo.” Minwoo shakily greeted Youngmin and reached for his mother’s frock scared by the older boy.

“I’m Kwangmin, Minwoo.” Minwoo widened his eyes and dropped his hand after hearing the kind voice. He turned his head to face the brunette. His eyes stared at the blue orbs and the kind face. The King and his mother stared shell shocked as Minwoo rushed to Kwangmin and clung onto him. The boy who was extremely awkward with strangers had initiated a hug on his own.

The King gave a hearty laugh. “Ah, the happiness family brings me.” He slapped Youngmin’s back. “Be less uptight, Youngmin, or you’ll lose your younger brother to your cousin.” The King joked. Youngmin furrowed his eyebrows, what did the King mean? He turned his attention to Kwangmin and a sudden emotion gripped his heart seeing the younger boy cling to his brother. He shook his head and smiled.

 

 

Two weeks easily went away and the twins and their mother had comfortably settled in their new home. Youngmin was fast to make friends with Donghyun, the son of the head of the King’s Knights. They were sparring partners after Youngmin decided that he wanted to be trained in sword fight.

“Here I come, Youngmin.” Donghyun shouted and clashed swords with Youngmin. The boys ran around the training ground, panting. Their mentor clapped his hands and both boys stopped.

“That’s enough for today you two.” JiYoung said and left the bys who were now on the grass.

Youngmin panted and looked at Donghyun. “You should take it easy on me. It’s only been a week you know.” Donghyun chuckled. “But you’re doing really well.” “That’s because a brute is swinging a sword at me.” Donghyun punched the younger male at the snide comment.

“Hey, why doesn’t your brother join us? I mean, he’ll need the training with how the world is now.” Donghyn said.

Youngmin sighed. “Kwangmin’s more of the bookish type. Besides, he doesn’t like fighting. I tried to persuade him, but that kid is stubborn.”

Donghyun rolled on his stomach. “Your persuasion methods may be wrong. Wait till we cross paths, he’ll be running around here with a sword in no time.”

“I’d like to see that day. The day Donghyun fails for the first time.” The blonde mocked and ran away as the older boy started chasing him.

 

 

Minwoo cautiously looked around the garden. “Phew… no one’s around.” He sighed and walked deeper into the orchard. He was getting tired of all the fussing he had to go through as prince. His studies were like a large weight around his ankles forcing him to remain confined from the outside world.

“You’re the prince. You have to study harder than the rest. You have to be this and that and blah, blah, blah!” He kicked a tree in irritation and ended up hurting himself. “Ah! Even you mock me, huh?” Minwoo became rigid, hearing a chuckle. He looked around nervously.

“Up here.” Minwoo raised his head and found a smiling boy sitting on the branch of the tree he just kicked. He widened his eyes. “Kwangmin…” Minwoo whispered.

Kwangmin’s laugh rang like wind chimes and Minwoo stared at the older boy in awe. “Well come up will you.” Minwoo snapped out of his trance. “Huh?”

“Climb up.” Kwangmin gestured with his hand. Minwoo blinked his eyes in disbelief. “Really? You’re not going to say anything?” He said making the older frown. “What am I supposed to say? Oh, you mean tell you off?” Kwangmin blinked at the boy.

The younger one nodded making the brunette chuckle. “Why would I do that? Your funny, Minwoo.” Minwoo blushed and smiled.

A few minutes later, Minwoo was pouting at the tree making Kwangmin laugh. “Here, take my hand.” The younger smiled gratefully at the older and took his hand.

“Waah! I never knew there was such a view from the palace.” Minwoo widened his eyes at the scenery. From the tree top there was a great view of the wilderness lying over the tall walls of the palace. “But there is.” Kwangmin said making Minwoo stare at him.

The brunette pointed towards the buliding. “There, from those windows.” The younger blinked. “You mean you’ve been in the shrine of the Oracle?” The older shook at that. “But how did you know then?” Kwangmin smiled. “Since we’re getting a view like this from here isn’t it obvious that the same view will appear from there?” The younger blinked once, twice and held his head.

“I’m such a knuckle head!” Minwoo shouted and shook his head. He opened his eyes hearing Kwangmin’s laugh. The wind played with the strands of Kwangmin’s hair and Minwoo thought there was no other as beautiful as the boy in front of him. Kwangmin had another aura unlike his older brother and for Minwoo, it made the brunette more attractive.

A while of small talk and fun, the two boys decided it was time to go back in. The younger climbed down first with the older instructing him and afterwards the older of the two jumped down gracefully making Minwoo clap with a silly grin. Kwangmin pulled the hood over his head and adjusted his attire.

“Why the hood?” Minwoo asked. Kwangmin put a finger to his lips in a ‘be silent’ gesture. He leaned closer to the younger and whispered. “So that my attendants have a hard time finding me.”

Minwoo smiled in admiration. “Smart.” “Your highness? Prince Minwoo? Where are you?” The younger boy cringed as he heard the familiar voice.

“Aww… That tutor is looking for me.” Minwoo pouted. Kwangmin nodded to the direction of the frantic male. “You should go for now, Minwoo.” The younger pouted. “But-but…”

“You know where to find me form now on and we’ve been here a few hours already.” Kwangmin reasoned. “Okay, see you tomorrow, hyung!” Minwoo quickly pecked the older on his cheek and ran away. Kwangmin held the left side of his face. “Hyung?” He blinked and went on his merry way.

 

 

 

Donghyun walked aimlessly around having finished with his lessons. He abruptly stopped and eyed the hooded figure coming out of the orchard. He furrowed his eyebrow and pushed out his chin trying to identify the child. He widened his eyes and grinned. “Found you.”

Kwangmin was going on his merry way until someone stood in his way. He tried to go left and the person suddenly stood in front of him. This left and right motion happened for a few times until Kwangmin gave up and stared at Donghyun with a bored expression.

“Why, hello Kwangmin.” Donghyun greeted cheerfully.

“Do I know you? And your acting is horrible.” Kwangmin said with a monotone voice.

This brat, Donghyun cursed in his mind and kept grinning. “Ah, I’m Donghyun. I know your older brother. I’m his sparing partner, you know.”

“I don’t know.” Kwangmin replied with a bored look. “What do you want from me?”

Keep cool, Donghyun. Keep cool. “I was wondering why you haven’t joined us. I wanted to invite you an-“ “Not interested.”

Donghyun blinked. “You should know how to defen-“ “Still not interested.” Okay, I’m fuming.

“You, you’re coming with me.” Donghyun took Kwangmin’s wrist and started dragging the boy to the training grounds. “Hey let go! That hurts!” The older paid no mind and kept dragging the younger boy.

 

Kwangmin stumble a little as Donghyun finally let go of his wrist. He massaged his sore wrist and frowned disapprovingly at the older boy. They were the only ones on the field. “Take this.” Donghyun pushed a wooden sword in Kwangmin’s hand. The brunette looked dumbfounded at the older boy. “What?”

 Donghyun swung another wooden sword around. “You’re fighting me.” The younger frowned more. “I’m not.” Donghyun stalked up to Kwangmin, towering the brunette by a few inches. “You are and it’s final. Hmm… What about a deal then?”

“Deal?” Donghyun smirked knowing he had spiked the younger ones interest. “Yes, you win and I’ll do anything you want, but if I win, you join the training with us. Fine?”

“Fine, but if I win you’ll do anything I say, correct?” Donghyun nodded, yes. Kwangmin smiled innocently. “Better not go back on your word, Donghyun.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So, yeah. Donghyun and Minwoo made an appearance. The rest are coming soon! *fireworks*

Okay, so to clear some things up. Minwoo is ten, Donghyun thirteen and the twins are evelen. Minwoo is still quite small since he hasn't had his sudden growth spurt like the twins are having and Donghyun's already over that small phase.

I don't know why I'm even mentioning this, but oh well.

So enjoy the read and drop comments. Oh! Love to all~ *rolls away*