Pure Heart

Pure Heart

Pure Heart
a story by resatsekon18

 


 

It was a nice morning that lay upon the streets of Itaewon. I was up late today due to the long flight I have from California yesterday night. Jetlag surely made me worn out to death. But who wouldn’t be happy if you were greeted with a party made by your loved ones. Last night was a blast. Oh how lovely it is to be back in Korea.

 

I got down from the stairs and went to help my mother from serving the customers who were eating their late breakfast. I miss this scene. It’s only been two years since I left Korea to study abroad, and I was a bit of culture shock to see how the place changed a lot. The soaring skyscrapers, the new shopping malls and the new business firms standing tall from what I remembered was just an empty lot space.

 

My family owns a restaurant and I was accustomed to help do the chores. Right now, I’m on a break. I don’t want to rush things because I need time to decide what kind of career I will start knowing that I just graduated. Maybe if I could save more money, I’ll be planning to extend the family business and improve our services.

 

“Morning eomma!” I pecked my mother’s cheek after putting on the apron.

 

“Good morning too, darling. Did you have a good sleep?” she asked.

 

“Neh!” I smiled and grabbed a clean towel.

 

“Darling, are you sure you want to help? Don’t you want to take a rest first? You can just watch the TV upstairs,” she suggested.

 

Eomma, I’m on a break, remember? Let me do this. I miss cleaning the tables.” I said to her and pulled a tray from the pile.

 

I was happily cleaning the tables and collecting the dishes when I saw something peculiar outside the store through the glass mirrors. I placed the tray on the counter and asked my mother, “Mom, what’s that?” I said, pointing the small food stall invading a space in our parking lot.

 

“Oh, it’s a steamed bun stall.”

 

“You’re allowing a vendor to sell outside the restaurant?” I gawked at her.

 

“I don’t see anything wrong about it. The steamed buns taste good. You should try the beef flavor,” she said.

 

“But eomma, we sell food. Don’t you think it’s a threat to our business?”

 

“No, I don’t think it is. Besides, the seller is a good boy. He can’t harm,” she winked before entertaining a customer at the other side of the counter.

 

I looked at the boy who was opening the transparent steamer to check on the buns he was steaming. He looked so happy at doing his job. He was greeting the every passerby and encourages them to try his buns. He was a man in his early twenties, with unbelievably white skin. He has a fine face, and his cheeks would puff up every time he would smile, showcasing his white pearls. He was clad in a red polo shirt, a gray sun visor on his head and black apron where an image of bun was embroidered. But the appearance didn’t seem to bother him at all. He has a sign posted beside his steamer where the buns’ flavors are listed. Above the stall, a tarpaulin was placed.

 

Xiumin’s Steamed Buns. It read.

 

I wanted to ask my parents why they allowed a bun vendor to stay. The security guard guarding the door seemed to be friends with him.

 

“What are you looking at, darling?” My mother’s sudden query made me startle. “Oh, that boy?”

 

“Neh,” I said, wiping the tray clean.

 

“How was California? I guess you must’ve seen Korea differently after two years abroad, right?”

 

I smiled and shrugged. “I guess so. I’ll be getting use to it, soon.” I stared back at the vendor again. He was giving the wrapped steamed bun to the little boy with a floating balloon on his hand.

 

“Ah, that boy, Xiumin. He’s really something,” eomma said, following my gaze.

 

“Xiumin’s his name?” I asked.

 

“Yes, Xiumin. He’s a year older than you. You know, if you’re planning to shoo him away, please don’t dear. Just let him stay there.”

 

“But he’s a thre-”

 

“He’s not a threat, darling. He has a good history with your appa, so we allowed him stay there. Why don’t you talk to him? He easily gets along with people, you know.” My mother winked at me before proceeding to manipulate the cash register.

 

I pursed my lips and shook my head. I placed the towel on the counter and then went outside.

 

-

 

I found the boy smiling up the sky, sitting on the small bench beside his stall. With an intention, I walked towards him. The boy was startled to see me, making him stood up from the bench and smiled.

 

Annyeong, would you like to try Xiumin’s steamed buns?” he greeted, making a bow.

 

I was taken aback. I bowed at him too. “Annyeong haseyo. Look, I am the daughter of this restaurant’s owner,”

 

He smiled at me, “I know.”

 

Oh, he knows me? I cleared my throat and asked, “How come?”

 

“You look like her,” he said, referring to my mother. “I can see the resemblance.”

 

“Oh, right.” I blushed.

 

Before I could utter another word, he offered me a piece of wrapped steam bun, “Would you like to try? It’s a bun stuffed with grind pork meat. My treat!”

 

“Uhm, no thanks.” I declined, shaking my head. “I’m here to tell you something.”

 

He looked at me skeptically.

 

“I know my parents wouldn’t like this but you selling in our parking lot is prohibited. We only have five parking lots and you’re invading a one car space. You’re illegally squatting in our area.” I said calmly. Gosh, why do I feel guilty? But I have to make an appeal once and for all.

 

The boy sighed and placed the steamed bun inside the steamer. “I’m sorry,” he heaved. “I’m sorry but you can’t make me stay out here.”

I was taken aback. “Neh?”

 

“Not that I am offending you or anything,” he raised his hand. “I know I should stay here. I should be. I really have a reason why.”

 

I crossed my arms and looked at him. “If you have a reason then why don’t you look for other places where you can place your stall?”

 

The boy heaved out a sigh and made a sit on the bench.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said gently. “I won’t be bothering you I swear. Just give me an enough time to look for another place to sell. Two or three weeks, please? I’m asking for a time. Can you help me?”

 

“Help you?” I asked. The guy smiled at me.

 

“Yes, by letting me stay here. Just two weeks and I won’t be bothering you and your family.”

 

“Alright,” I said, giving my consideration. “Just two weeks. If you won’t keep that word, I’ll be forcing the security guard move you out.” Gosh, what am I thinking? I was conscious enough to know that he’s friends with the security. But I have to make a deal.

 

“Okay, that’s a deal.” He said, standing up. He smiled at me. “Oh my, I haven’t introduced myself. I’m Xiumin.” The boy extended his hands to which I willingly shook back. I told Xiumin my name and that I am the daughter of the restaurant’s owner. Apparently, she knows my mother. “Yes, I know. You two are very beautiful.”

 

I felt my heart skipped a beat. The boy doesn’t seem to be joking. I pulled my hands off from him and cleared my throat. “So, erm, I’m going inside.” I said, diverting the topic. “Thanks for the treat anyways.”

 

“Oh, are you sure you don’t want it?” He asked, opening the steamer’s door.

 

I pursed my lips into a small smile and shook my head. “No thanks, Xiumin-shi.

 

Xiumin smiled at me before I turned around and head back inside the store.

 

-

 

I was eating the dinner with my family in our dining area. We talked about the happenings occurred in the restaurant while I was at abroad before we went to the topic that involved the steamed bun seller.

 

“You know darling, you shouldn’t be too harsh at him.” My father said, pouring the juice for me.

 

“I wasn’t.” I said. Seriously, I was just observing the rules of the store that allowing the vendor to occupy a space in our parking lot is prohibited. But the boy had mentioned he has a reason.

 

“Just let him stay, darling. The boy has his reasons,” my mother said.

 

“Can you tell me then?” I asked them.

 

“Why don’t you ask him yourself?” Father suggested. “Why don’t you befriend him and ask why he wanted to sell in front of our store? He surely gains a lot of buyers because mostly of our customers buys his buns after they eat our food. Like some kind of a dessert.”

 

“Why don’t you try, darling? The boy is nice. Just show him your sensitive side,” eomma said.

 

I scratched my head. “Okay, I’ll try.”

 

-

 

I grew impatient. But at least I’m giving it a try.

 

“Tell me about yourself.” I said unto him. He paused from arranging the uncooked buns in the container and blinked at me.

 

Xiumin straightened up and scratch his head. “Uhm, what do you want to know about me?”

 

I took a breath and invaded a space beside him on the bench, intertwining my legs.

 

“Just tell me anything about you.” I said.

 

Xiumin closed the container and leaned back. “I’m twenty-two years old,” he began. “I was studying dance major in SM University but I have stopped after two years because of financial crisis, so I’m late. I have a younger sister, eight years old. My father died when I was still young and my mother,” he paused, and then continued, “well… my mother is kind of weak so my sister helps her do the chores.”

 

“Oh,” I blurted. The mention of his mother suddenly reminded me of my own mother.

 

“I really love dancing but I wasn’t able to dance for the meantime because I have to start a business.” Xiumin smiled, tapping his hand on the bench surface.

 

“Why do you choose selling the steamed bun instead of taking another job?” Here it goes. I’m close to my intention. The thought of it didn’t left my mind at all.

 

“Well, aside from other reason, this is the kind of job where I can make other people happy. Everyone loves steamed buns. It’s like our own version of the Western’s hamburger. But steamed buns are healthy.”

 

I can feel my forehead cringing at his statement. He actually has that kind of view. “So you do love steamed buns?”

 

Xiumin nodded his head. And then he looked at me, “How about you? Tell me about yourself.”

 

I shifted on my seat comfortably. “Well, I’m twenty-one, just graduated from a business administration course. I’m an advance person since I accelerated thrice during my grade school years. I continued college in California for two years. I love reading all sorts of books. My favorite food is my father’s cooks. And my parents, well, you know my parents.” I said.

 

Xiumin smiled at me. “You must’ve seen Korea differently when you came back, right?”

 

I shrugged, “Kind of. But seriously, I was more surprised to find you outside the restaurant selling steamed buns.” I confessed, still trying to hide the curiosity why he decided to sell here.

 

Xiumin hang his head low, staring at his feet.

 

“I really have a reason for that.”

 

“So what’s the reason?”

 

“Well,” Xiumin thought for a moment and then shook his head. He looked up to me smiling. “Well, let me put it up this way. Your restaurant sells food for the people who wants to fill in their hungry stomachs. For me, it offers the same satisfaction.”

 

“Huh?” I looked at him quizzically.

 

Xiumin smiled at me again.

 

-

 

I failed to know the reason why Xiumin wanted to use our parking lot to sell his steamed buns.

 

For the following days, my hidden intention started to alleviate as I became friends with him. Every time I would get a break or if the restaurant isn’t that busy, I would go out and have a talk with Xiumin. He even treats me some of his steamed buns and I had to admit, they really taste so good. Xiumin and I would talk about stories he encountered as a steamed bun vendor. How some regular buyers would call him ‘baozi’, and the nickname itself sounded really cute to my ears. I also told him some of my opinions how different the culture was in America compared to Korea, or mostly likely Asians. Not being a racist though, but how the families treat each other and the customs.

 

Although it’s only been days since I met Xiumin, it seems like I had known him for all of my life.

 

I felt my brow rising when I saw my mother giving Xiumin an envelope.

 

Eomma!” I called, stepping down the staircase. Xiumin was inside the store, in his casual attire. White shirt printed with animated character and fatigue cargo pants. I noticed he quickly stuffed the envelope in his pocket when he saw me.

 

Xiumin smiled and waved at me. “I told your mother that I’ll borrow you for tonight. Just a stroll at the park, I think.”

 

I smiled. “Sure!”

 

I can see my mother looking at me as if she was surprised to hear me easily agree. I trust Xiumin, and she was happy that I made friends with him.

 

“Well, you don’t look surprised, or scared,” he muttered.

 

“Me scared? Aigoo, don’t you think I’ve never been on dates before?” I laughed.

 

-

 

Xiumin and I walked the streets heading to the nearby park. This park used to be so quite when I last visited here but now, it appeared like a small amusement park because of the colorful stalls selling some toys and stuffs which the children seemed to glee at. There were food stalls under the mobile tent with families eating the meal together. I smiled at the view of one kid tugging his mother’s hand to let him buy a piece of character balloon from the balloon vendor.

 

Xiumin and I each bought a cone of ice cream and sat together on the stairs out looking the river.

 

“Wow!” I muttered, feasting my eyes everywhere in smiles.

 

Xiumin smiled beside me and ate his food. I smiled at the view of children playing with their water guns at the base of the staircase, running around the fountain.

 

I heard Xiumin laugh. “Aigoo…

 

I looked at him. “Waeyo?”

 

“Nothing. You just look so cute when you do that,” he said.

 

“Do what?” I tilted my head.

 

“Your innocence,”

 

I scoffed and gently slapped his shoulder. “Mwoya?

 

I pouted at him and resumed eating my food. He laughed, shaking his head.

 

“Do you have a girl friend?” I asked. Gosh, what did I just asked? The words just came out unconsciously.

 

“Never had. I was so busy in taking care of my family that I haven’t got myself a girlfriend.”

 

Charming. A good boy and a good son.

 

“How about you?” he continued. “Don’t you have a boy friend?”

 

I shrugged. “I haven’t found the perfect guy yet.”

 

“Perfect guy?”

 

“Yup! The one who can make you feel special. You know, the person whom you love and loves you back with all thy heart.” I said. I want to blame myself for watching too much fairytales that opted me to believe happy endings exist.

 

“You know what, there’s no such thing as perfect. I’m wondering if the right guys you are calling are perfect guys,” Xiumin said. “Because honestly, there are no perfect guys, just guys that would match your state. Your preference.”

 

I tilted my head at him. He spoke again, “A girl like you I think would prefer higher standard guys. Like a prominent or good looking. The one with career minded and a good family background. Like what they say, ‘a good catch’.”

 

I chuckled. “Who wouldn’t? But that’s idealistic. I would prefer the realistic ones.”

 

“Like?”

 

“Like hardworking guys, the one who would prefer sacrificing great the opportunities because they love their families, the one who has a great point of view in life. Even if he doesn’t have a good career, he still aims to become successful.”

 

“That sounds like me.” Xiumin blurted. He sounded like he was joking. Does he really think that I am joking?

 

I chuckled. “Yeah, yeah. I think I like you.” I joked back. Xiumin flinched and looked at me.

 

I turned my head away to hide the reddening of my cheeks.

 

“I should be thankful for that,” he said.

 

-

 

Days had passed after my date with Xiumin. And now, I made a conclusion I do like him. Like for real. I hope he didn’t notice. I’ve been acting so modest after my indirect confession after our stroll at the park. I hope I was not caught.

 

I got down to the restaurant to do my morning routines. When I glanced outside the store, I found Xiumin’s stall closed. I looked up at the wall clock and it’s already nine. At this time, he’s supposed to be steaming the first batch of his buns.

 

Eomma, where’s Xiumin?” I asked my mother.

 

She grinned, “Omo, you’re looking for him? Am I supposed to know something?” she teased.

 

“Well, uhm…” I stuttered.

 

She placed a hand on my shoulder. “Don’t worry, maybe he’s just taking a break? He’ll be back soon, okay?”

 

I nodded. I wonder why he’s not selling today. I hope he’s not avoiding me.

 

-

 

I went to the supermarket to purchase some ingredients eomma told me to buy. After shopping, I waved a taxi to have a ride for home.

 

I was staring at the places outside the window when I saw a familiar figure. The vehicle made a stop because of the red light. Outside the Seoul Hospital, I saw Xiumin walked through the glass doors heading inside, with a little girl holding his hand. She must be his little sister because of their resemblance.

 

But why are they in the hospital?

 

When I got home, I immediately looked for my mother but when I saw her, she was with my father, crying, holding the telephone. I hid myself and tried to listen at her conversation on the phone.

 

“Is there any chance she could live?” she sobbed. “Oh god, how will the children live without her? I already lent Xiumin the money, wasn’t that enough?”

 

My mother sobbed harder and gave her goodbye. She placed down the telephone. Appa hugged her for comfort.

 

Xiumin? A chance SHE could live? What is my mother talking about? She lent him money for what?

 

“Well… my mother is kind of weak so my sister helps her do the chores.”

 

I remembered Xiumin mentioning about his mother. His mother is sick? Is she the one they have visited in the hospital? My mother lent him money for her medications? All the puzzles seem to fit together.

 

Gosh, why didn’t I know?

 

-

 

It’s been a week after I discovered what Xiumin is actually going through. I asked my eomma about his mother’s sickness. Xiumin’s mother has a heart disease. And since the medications needed require a lot of money, Xiumin stopped attending college and work instead to support the family. He became the breadwinner because his father died when he was still young.

 

The reason why Xiumin wanted to stay selling his steamed bun in our parking lot was because eomma was the only person who can lend him money every time his mother would do post operations.

 

I really wanted to confront him. When discovered the truth, I urged my mother to help them for the operations his mother needed.

 

But it was already too late.

 

-

 

I got down to the store to help mother from doing the chores. I instinctively pulled a tray and towel to clean the tables.

 

I felt my heart leaped when I caught a view of Xiumin in his stall, back in his working attire.

 

Without any further ado, I placed the tray and towel on the table and ran my way out the store.

 

“Xiumin!” I yelled. He was surprised to see me and before he could even utter a word, I hugged his neck. I felt him stiffening under me.

 

I pulled out from hugging him and looked at his face. He looked so tired and exhausted due to the dark circles in his eyes.

 

But knowing Xiumin, he never failed to smile. “Annyeong!

 

Xiumin backed off and resumed arranging his stocks of steamed buns. “Xiumin…” I called.

 

“Would you like to try my new stocks? I made them just this morning.”

 

I tried to compose myself and looked at the steamer. “Does that mean it tastes better?”

 

He chuckled. “It always tastes good.”

 

Xiumin sat down the bench and watched the buns being steamed inside the transparent steamer. I took a seat beside him. “How have you been?”

 

“Same old thing,” he shrugged, inserting his hands inside the apron’s pockets.

 

“About your mo-”

 

“You asked your mom about it, hmm?” he cut me.

 

I sighed. “I have to know.” I was wondering if it is right to ask my mother about Xiumin’s state but I was just so curious. I hope I’m not offending him.

 

“They said they can’t cure her anymore. It was too late to find a compatible heart that would replace her own. I guess I would have to accept the fact she’ll be leaving us too. Just like what my father did. I’m happy they can be finally together, up there.” Xiumin pointed the sky above.

 

I stared at him for a moment and can’t help but pity. “I’m sorry.”

 

Xiumin smiled. It was really amazing to see him smiling. He’s supposed to be mourning but much to my disappointment, he can still smile like everything is okay.

 

He turned and looked at me. “Can I not leave this spot? I haven’t found another place to transfer yet. Can you extend the deal?”

 

I gawked at him. “Oh forget that! I’ve already disregarded that deal.”

 

I stood up from sitting the bench and pulled his hand. “Where are you taking me?”

 

“Let’s go inside. You wanted a better job, right? Why don’t you apply in our restaurant?”

 

Xiumin’s face lit up. “Really? You’re allowing me to invade a space inside your business? For real?”

 

“Yes! Don’t you want it?”

 

He shrugged. “Well, if that makes me closer to you then I should rather take the opportunity.”

 

I laughed at his statement, and my hormones seemed to be boiling up that in the next moment, I found myself kissing Xiumin on the cheek. He completely stiffened when I backed off. I can see my reflection through his eyes totally blushing.

 

“Yah!” I poked his chest and he flinched. “Are you coming in or not?”

 

He smiled so widely and nodded his head. I vaguely noticed our hands intertwining together when we got inside. He deserved the job.

 

Xiumin has become my inspiration.

 

He has a pure heart.

 

 

A/N: Annyeong haseyo, readers! I have a series story entitled "After All This Time". I hope you would like to read it too. Saranghae~