The Mask

All I Care About

Jinho, meet my boyfriend --” Luhan said when Jinho approached the couple, a smile on his face. A mask to hide what he really felt inside.

Sehun,” Jinho finished, fist bumping Sehun, who was genuinely smiling as he greeted his friend.

 

Luhan's eyes widen, and his eyes darted between Jinho and Sehun. “You two know each other?!”

 

Jinho is the friend I told you about,” Sehun said.

 

Really!?” Luhan's eyes met Jinho, and although his heart fluttered, it wasn't with the same lightheartedness. No. It felt heavy. Burdensome.

 

It's never going to be the same anymore.....

 

Not with Sehun's presence. A fact that was beginning to be painfully obvious as he spotted their interlaced fingers.

 

Yeah. We're buds,” he said, reminding himself. That's right. We're friends.

 

Let's have lunch together,” Sehun said.

 

No. No. Say no. You can't.

 

Yes! Come on, Jinho. Join us,” Luhan said, big round eyes blinking at Jinho – persuading him. That was all it took.

 

Yeah. Sounds fun,” Jinho said with a voice he hoped passed for being excited.

 

Yay!” Luhan beamed, already tugging Sehun away towards the cafeteria.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes, but Jinho knew that it wasn't an annoyed eye roll – not with the small smile that accompanied it.

 

Jinho followed behind, already second guessing his decision to join them. No matter how much he told himself that it was no big deal, he couldn't shake off the fact that he was eating lunch with his best friend and his secret crush. It was bound to be extremely awkward. Right?

 

You need more vegetables,” Sehun said as he placed a spoonful of broccoli on Luhan's tray.

 

The smaller boy grimaced (a gesture Jinho found incredibly cute). “Sehun-ahhh.”

 

Sehun shook his head. “You're eating it.” He turned his attention to the other dishes, ignoring Luhan's pout.

 

Jinho didn't really think about it when he spooned the broccoli off the older boy's plate and placed it on his own. Luhan's eyes widen and Jinho smiled. A real smile this time.

 

Luhan whispered thanks and Jinho whispered, “No problem.”

 

If Sehun saw the whole exchange, he didn't say anything about it.

 

After getting their lunches, they sat down at a round table next to the big window. Luhan and Sehun naturally sat next to each other with Jinho across from them. He instantly felt out of place when Luhan scooted his chair closer to Sehun – to the point it almost looked like they were sharing a chair.

 

I can't believe you two are friends,” Luhan said after methodically mixing his rice and meat (there was actually more meat than rice). Sehun, who was watching with disapproval, ended up giving Luhan some of his rice, “to even it out” he told his boyfriend.

 

What I can't believe is you two having classes together,” Sehun said, eyeing Jinho with sudden interest. “Didn't think you would be a Sociology major.”

 

Jinho shrugged. “Well, what can I say?” What can I say?

 

Sociology is cool?” Luhan suggested with a smile, which Jinho returned.

 

Pfft. Sure.” Sehun turned his attention to Luhan. “Is Jinho the new classmate you were referring to before?”

 

Luhan nodded. “He's also the guy that almost bought your guitar.”

 

Sehun whipped his head to face Jinho, surprised. “It was you? Wow.... Small world.”

 

Yeah...” Jinho mumbled. Dreadfully small.

 

Thanks,” Sehun said suddenly. “For letting Lu take the guitar. I heard he grabbed it from the person who also wanted it. And now that I know it was you, I'm assuming you let him run away with it. Mr. Flash.”

 

Mr. Flash?” Luhan asked, eyebrows arched.

 

He was the fastest kid in our neighborhood,” Sehun explained. “He could have easily caught up to you to snatch the guitar back.”

 

Luhan's eyes widen. He stared straight at Jinho. “You let me have it? On purpose?”

 

Jinho gave him a small nod. “You said you wanted to give it to someone special.”

 

And I am special,” Sehun said, grinning while Luhan rolled his eyes.

 

And that was when it hit Jinho that the guitar was for Sehun.

 

Luhan's special person, he thought. His inner voice sounded slightly bitter, but he ignored it.

 

I didn't know you play the guitar,” Sehun said.

 

I've always wanted to learn after seeing you play your little toy guitar. That's why when I was in high school, I took private lessons, and I loved it ever since. You're not the only one who's musically gifted you know.”

 

Hmm. It sounds like you're challenging me.” Sehun smirked. “We can play together if you want. I've always enjoyed beating you.”

 

Jinho chuckled. “Sure. As long as you promise not to be a sore loser.”

 

I was never the sore loser,” Sehun argued. “If I recalled correctly, you were the one that cried when I beat you at arm wrestling.”

 

We were eleven. I'm sure I can beat you now. Easily.”

 

As if.”

 

Oh yeah?”

 

Yeah.” They stared at each other, the same competitive stare they perfected through the years. They were only interrupted by Luhan, who giggled.

 

Wow. You two were probably the type of friends who competed with each other at almost everything. Am I right?”

 

Jinho nodded. “With me winning most of them.”

 

Sehun snorted. “That's not going to be the case anymore.”

 

Jinho opened his mouth to argue when he caught Luhan stealing Sehun's meat. If he remembered correctly, Sehun hated people taking his things. He often fought with whoever dared to.

 

But instead of snapping at Luhan, Sehun sighed and gave Luhan the rest of his meat – something Jinho had not expected, but then again, he didn't expect Sehun to be dating Luhan.

 

You really have changed,” Jinho said causing Sehun to look at him, slightly confused. “You seem more tolerable. Nicer.”

 

Luhan smiled. “That would be because of me.”

 

Sehun huffed. “Don't take credit for my generosity.”

 

I'll take credit where it's due.” Luhan went back to eating with an amused looking Sehun watching him. Jinho recognized the look in Sehun's eyes.

 

It was adoration.

 

Jinho looked down at his food. He poked at it, his appetite slowly disappearing.

 

I'll be back,” Luhan said when he got up to leave.

 

Jinho was about to watch him leave when he suddenly remembered that he shouldn't, especially with Sehun right in front of him. He looked at Sehun, whose eyes were on Luhan as the boy made his way to the dessert section, and he felt something tugging his heart.

 

You love him?” Jinho mumbled. It was more of a statement than a question. He already knew Sehun's answer. It was obvious. In front of his very eyes.

 

Yeah. A lot,” Sehun replied, finally looking at Jinho since Luhan left their table. “He's everything to me.”

 

Jinho swallowed. “That's great. I'm glad you have someone like him in your life.”

 

Sehun raised an eyebrow. “Not envious are you?”

 

Jinho was sure that Sehun meant nothing by the words, innocent banter between friends. But that didn't stop the words from hurting – from stabbing.

 

Jinho put on a fake smile. “Should I be?” he asked, even though he knew that he should be. And he is. For the wrong reasons though.

 

He should be envious because his friend had someone special in his life. 

 

Not because that special person happens to be the one he likes.

 

Before Sehun could answer, Luhan came back with a new tray full of dessert. When Sehun spotted the tray, he shook his head and sighed. Jinho assumed that this was a regular thing between the couple. Luhan simply grinned at Sehun as he started eating his slice of chocolate cake.

 

As you can see he has a cake addiction,” Sehun said to Jinho.

 

That's not true. I like all kinds of sweets,” Luhan countered.

 

That doesn't help your case Bambi.” Bambi?

 

Suddenly Jinho remembered the conversation they had yesterday, where Sehun mentioned something about a woodland creature. He finally understood what Sehun meant by that. Luhan was Sehun's woodland creature. His Bambi.

 

Whatever,” Luhan said, moving on to his assortment of cupcakes.

 

As Luhan took a bite of his red velvet cupcake, Jinho noticed that he got a bit of pink frosting on the corner of his bottom lip. He also noticed how seconds later, Sehun's thumb is there at the spot, gently wiping away the frosting. Luhan gave Sehun a playful grin, while Sehun complained about how messy he eats.

 

Jinho wished he hadn't come.

 

He was drinking his coke when Sehun suddenly asked, “So how are things with that gorgeous guy?”

 

Jinho started coughing, spluttering his drink, causing Sehun and Luhan to look at him with alarm.

 

Are you okay?” Luhan asked, handing him extra napkins to wipe his mouth and his now dirty shirt. Great. Not only do I feel like an idiot, I look like one too.

 

I'm fine. Was drinking too fast,” he said. It was a poor excuse, but he couldn't think of a better one.

 

You sure it wasn't because I mentioned that guy?” Sehun asked, smirking.

 

What guy?” Luhan asked curiously. Oh please no, Jinho thought. The last thing he wanted was to talk about his crush – the crush who was sitting right across from him.

 

Jinho fell in love with this guy he met somewhere months ago, and yesterday he met him again in class,” Sehun explained.

 

Jinho has never wanted to disappeared as much as he does now.

 

Luhan made an adorable “O” with his mouth. The older boy turned to Jinho. “What does he look like?”

 

Jinho struggled to find the answer, the right words. The only thing popping in his head was you.

 

You. Luhan hyung. You.

 

He's the most gorgeous being to ever walked the face of the earth,” Sehun said, reciting the words Jinho told him the other day.

 

Luhan giggled at the way Sehun said that. “I want to see him. What's his name? Is he from our department?”

 

Uhhh.” Jinho swallowed. “Let's drop it.”

 

Why?” Luhan asked, disappointment in his voice.

 

Because it's never going to happen.” We're never going to happen.

 

Is he taken?” Sehun asked.

 

Yes.” By you.

 

Awwww.” Luhan frowned. “I'm sure you'll find someone better.” Yeah...maybe.

 

Sorry dude,” Sehun said, pitying Jinho.

 

If only he knew...

 

Jinho shook his head. “It's fine. I'm just going to focus on being his friend.”

 

Ohh. That's nice of you.” Luhan clapped his hands. “You're a really good guy Jinho – to be able to accept being just friends with him.”

 

Yeah...” Jinho mumbled. Personally, he wouldn't use the word “accept” to describe his decision to be friends with Luhan.

 

He finished the remaining of his coke, trying his best not to stare at the couple in front of him. He did his best not to hear Luhan asking Sehun if he wanted him to wait for him again after class. He did his best not to hear Sehun asking Luhan if he wanted him to hang out at the cafe while he worked.

 

He failed miserably because he found out that no, Sehun did not want Luhan to wait for him after class (he'll go to the older boy instead), and yes, Luhan wanted Sehun to visit him at work because he won't be too busy.

 

Jinho began to wonder if his presence changed how they acted around one another. Are they always this mushy? Or are they holding back?

 

He then heard someone from behind him gasped. Jinho turned around, and his eyes met with those of the guy from Luhan's cafe. The one that told him to sit at another table – the scary one that kept staring at him.

 

The small, wide-eyed boy, with the super tall boy that was also at the cafe, walked over and sat next to Luhan. “Luhan hyung! Why didn't you text me about this?!” the small one exclaimed, seemingly distressed.

 

Baekhyun hyung, meet Jinho. My childhood friend. You know the one I said was going to attend our school,” Sehun said.

 

Sehun smiled when the boy named Baekhyun started stuttering, “W-wha-how-what—what!?”

 

Jinho is Sehun's friend,” Luhan said, patting Baekhyun in the back.

 

No wayyyyy..... Sehun's friend is Luhan hyung's stalk--” Before Baekhyun could finish, the tall boy covered his mouth.

 

He gave Jinho an apologetic smile. “Sorry, he hasn't eaten, so he's talking crazy.”

 

Baekhyun smacked the tall boy's hand away and glared at him. “I'm not talking crazy,” he hissed.

 

Sehun rolled his eyes. “These two are my hyungs – Baekhyun and Chanyeol. They live with us.”

 

Jinho's eyes widen. Us? “You live together?”

 

Luhan nodded. “We were roommates before we started dating,” he said with a bright smile.

 

Oh.”

 

Jinho could feel a headache coming on. Today was really a bad day. Not only did he find out that Luhan had a boyfriend, and that his boyfriend was Sehun, but now he finds out they live together. Can it get any worse?

 

And happily sharing a bed,” Baekhyun added before Chanyeol could cover his mouth again.

 

And it got worse.

 

Luhan blushed, Sehun groaned, and Jinho again wished he could disappear.

 

Anyways,” Chanyeol started, trying to change the subject – hoping to save the conversation. “Baekhyun and I saw an ad for ice skating – special pricing if you come with a group. Do you guys want to go? This weekend?”

 

Ice skating? Yes! Count us in,” Luhan exclaimed excitedly, not bothering to ask if Sehun wanted to go. Jinho had a feeling the older boy didn't have to – Sehun would surely go if Luhan was going.

 

Sure,” Sehun mumbled, avoiding eye contact with the others. And Jinho would have wondered why when he suddenly remembered that Sehun didn't know how to ice skate. Can he still not ice skate?

 

Jinho, you should come with us,” Luhan suggested, smiling.

 

Baekhyun whirled his head around to stare at Luhan, shocked (or was he mortified?). “Hyung, I'm sure he doesn't --”

 

Join us,” Sehun interjected. Baekhyun looked like he wanted to throw something at Sehun.

 

I'll be there,” Jinho said to Baekhyun's displeasure.

 

Well, I have to go to my next class,” Sehun announced. “I'll see you guys later. Nice having lunch with you Jinho. We should do this more often.”

 

Yeah..”

 

Sehun turned to Luhan. “I'll text you.” The older boy nodded and watched Sehun leave the table, the sparkle in his eyes slowly dimming as Sehun disappeared behind the doors.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat, causing Jinho to tear his eyes away from Luhan.

 

So...Jinho. I hope you know how to skate. Wouldn't want you breaking something.” Baekhyun stated.

 

I took skating lessons as a kid. Nothing too fancy, but I can skate.”

 

Luhan and Chanyeol gawked at him. Baekhyun merely snorted, as if he didn't believe him.

 

How are you liking our school?” Chanyeol asked.

 

It's great.”

 

Baekhyun nodded. “Of course. Luhan hyung is here.”

 

.......What do you mean by that?”

 

Oh nothing. Just that he's here. And he's extremely popular --”

 

Baekhyun, where are you going with this?” Luhan asked, eyeing the boy with suspicion.

 

I'm just telling Jinho here that you have a lot admirers. A lot of people who wants you.” Baekhyun turned to look directly at Jinho, his gaze sharp. “But Sehun is the only one you want, hyung.”

 

A shiver ran down his spine at Baekhyun's words. Jinho had a feeling Baekhyun was directing those words at him for a reason – maybe he sensed his inner feelings?

 

Why would you want to tell him that?” Luhan asked, clearly not sensing the new tension forming between Jinho and Baekhyun.

 

Because he's crazy,” Chanyeol answered, earning himself another smack from the smaller boy.

 

Jinho checked his watch, desperately trying to find something to do besides engaging in a staring contest with this Baekhyun guy. Thankfully, it was almost time for his and Luhan's next class.

 

Hey, Luhan hyung, we have to go to class soon,” he said, ignoring Baekhyun's strangled noise when he said the older boy's name. He stood up and waited for Luhan.

 

Oh. Okay.” Luhan picked up his tray. “I'll see you two at home.” He waved at the two before he followed Jinho over to the trash can.

 

I hope they didn't scare you,” Luhan mumbled as he poured his trash inside.

 

Jinho shook his head. “No. It's fine. They weren't scary.” He lied. Partially.

 

The tall boy named Chanyeol wasn't intimidating at all despite his height, in fact he looked kind of goofy. Jinho felt bad for him whenever the small one smacked him. Baekhyun was definitely the more intimidating of the pair. He was practically dissecting Jinho – trying to uncover the mask. Or claw it away. Whichever.

 

 

The rest of his first week was spent avoiding lunch with the couple. Whenever Luhan asked him to eat lunch with him and Sehun, Jinho would kindly decline, claiming that he has homework or a report to do at the library. The boy would look disappointed whenever he said no, but it didn't last long when Sehun's text message popped up on his phone or when Sehun actually showed up.

 

During classes, he still talked and laughed with Luhan like nothing happened. He was not lying when he said he was going to focus on being Luhan's friend. He may have feelings for him, feelings that shouldn't be there now that he's discovered the truth, but that doesn't mean he has to stop seeing the boy. They have classes together for goodness' sake. He can't possibly ignore him. Nor does he want to.

 

For the most part, he felt okay with everything as long as he doesn't see them together. Sehun was his friend, and Luhan was his new friend. They're dating and he knew that, but he rather not witness their affections for one another. When he catches the two of them together somewhere, be it the library, the courtyard, the university entrance, anywhere, they were as close to each other as possible – fingers always entwined. Luhan was always beaming with Sehun around and Jinho's heart would throb at the sight.

 

As awful as it sounds, he wished it was him that Luhan was beaming at. Him that Luhan was pouring his affections to.

 

But Sehun's my friend.

 

Jinho does get to be with Luhan for hours during the day – one of the positive side of having classes with the boy – but Sehun had the rest of his time.

 

No matter how much fun they had talking about anything and everything, when Luhan and him went their separate ways after classes, Jinho knew that Luhan was going home with Sehun......while he went home with wistful thinking as his companion.

 

Sehun had invited him many times to come visit their house, but Jinho told him he doesn't have the time. Seeing them at home, in their comfortable environment, was not something he was ready to see. And besides, that Baekhyun boy would probably give him a hard time while he was there. He rather not deal with that.

 

It was Friday night. He unlocked the door to his place. Like all the other times, he came home to an empty apartment. He flopped down on his bed, tired.

 

The last few hours with Luhan played through in his head. They were at the library doing homework, and Jinho noticed how the older boy kept glancing at his phone. He eventually decided to ask him what was wrong.

 

Sehun's at work and I.. I..”

 

You?”

 

I miss him,” Luhan had said, his cheeks immediately rosy from admitting it.

 

Why don't you just text him?”

 

B-because he's usually too busy to answer them. I don't want to bother him. And besides, I've dealt with this before. I'll be fine.”

 

You sure?”

 

Luhan nodded vehemently. “I'll see him soon, so it's no big deal.”

 

Jinho felt this intense urge to reach across the table and hold Luhan's hand to tell him that it'll be okay.

 

He couldn't focus the rest of the time they were there. He felt ridiculously guilty for being the person who was there with Luhan, instead of the person Luhan really wanted.

 

He wasn't Sehun. And will never be. 

 

I hate this.

 

Jinho fell asleep with thoughts of what it would be like if he never met Luhan at the music store that day. Would things be different? Would he feel less terrible?

 

Would it hurt less?

 

 

******

Hey isn't that Jinho?” Chanyeol asked when he spotted the boy waiting by the ice rink.

 

Luhan looked towards the direction Chanyeol was pointing at. “It is him. Good job Chanyeol.” The older boy walked towards the boy.

 

Chanyeol was about to follow him when Baekhyun yanked his arm, pulling him back.

 

Why did you point him out?!” Baekhyun hissed in his ears.

 

Uh because the plan was to go skating together?”

 

That doesn't mean with him.”

 

But Luhan had asked him to come...”

 

Oh Yeollie. Shut up.” His boyfriend let go of his arm and walked off, a dark aura looming around him. Chanyeol shuddered.

 

While Baekhyun was trying to get one of the employees to give him a better looking pair of ice skates, Chanyeol stood outside the rink, watching Luhan and Jinho make their way across the ice.

 

I don't see why Baek is so against Jinho.. He seems like a nice guy. Oh!

 

Luhan and Jinho were skating around, with Jinho showing Luhan the moves he learned when he was young.

 

Whoa..... he's good, Chanyeol thought as he watched Jinho do a small spin jump (a double axel). Luhan clapped enthusiastically, cheering Jinho on as he did multiple spins. It looked like he was trying to impress Luhan.

 

When he stopped and grinned at Luhan, Chanyeol froze.

 

Not because it was freezing near the rink (though it was really cold!), but because he finally understood what Baekhyun kept complaining about.

 

The look in Jinho's eyes when he looked at Luhan.

 

The way his hands would reflexively reach out whenever Luhan was close to stumbling.

 

The smile he had whenever Luhan was laughing about something.

 

It wasn't a simple gesture one would give to a friend. Chanyeol had a feeling it meant more.

 

You would think they offer different colored laces for these ice skates! Come on, black is so boring,” Baekhyun whined as he came back with a pair of skates. He sat down on the bench next to where Chanyeol was standing, trying to put the skates on.

 

Baek,” Chanyeol mumbled, eyes still fixated at the two people skating on the other side.

 

What?”

 

You're right.”

 

Of course. I'm always right........About what?”

 

About him.”

 

Wha--” Baekhyun stood up and followed Chanyeol's gaze. His eyes landed on the two and he gasped.

 

Luhan had slipped, but before he could fall, Jinho had caught him, his hands gripping Luhan's arm tightly. Luhan had flashed Jinho a thankful smile, which Jinho returned.

 

Baekhyun clutched his arm. “I told you!”

 

Well, what are we going to do?”

 

Stop this nonsense of course! You get over there right now! Make sure he doesn't touch Luhan hyung again!”

 

Chanyeol nodded. “And what are you going to do?”

 

Baekhyun fumbled in his pockets for his cellphone. “Call Sehun and ask him why the hell he's taking so long to get here!”

 

 

 

~~~~~~ DRAMAAAAA. YESSSS. CHANYEOL IS FINALLY CATCHING ON. BAEKYEOL IS OUT TO HANDLE THINGS! lol. Excited for the duo in action? I am! And oooooooooo the whole lunch scene with Hunhan and Jinho......oooooo....gasp....ooooo....gasp. lol The whole part about them always competing as children is important. For obvious reasons. Jinho being the third wheel to Hunhan's lunch date. Awww..... can't help but pity him a little. Also, that awkward moment they're talking about Jinho's crush on Luhan without realizing. Lol! 

 

Favorite parts - Sehun giving Luhan his meat, Sehun wiping Luhan's frosting covered mouth with his thumb (AWWW SO CUTE!), Baekhyun mini-freak out and Chanyeol covering his mouth to stop him, and also Baekhyun adding the part that Hunhan are "happily sharing a bed." LOLLLLLL. He's precious and sassy. 

 

Next chapter - Sehun will arrive at the scene! No worries! 

 

Thanks for reading!! And since so many of you kept telling me how much you love this story, I wanted to say I LOVEEE YOUUUU!!! ♥♥ Thanks for loving my story!! And for loving my characters! I love them too :) hehehe.