Chapter 3

What is Love?

Shocked, I took a step back and accidentally fell. I got up and looked down to the ground rather embarrassed trying to think of how I was going to explain the situation to him. I finally got the courage to look up and speak, but he was gone. I looked all around the room to see where he could have possible gone when I was thinking about what to tell him. Feeling relieved yet a little disappointed, I walked towards my door to hear hurried footsteps going down the stairs. Oh, so that's where he's going... well I don't blame him for going away so quickly. If I were to suddenly wake up in a stranger's room, I would do the same thing. What seemed like an eternity, I finally finished unpacking all my belongings. This is it… this is going to be my new life… no parents. Mom, dad… why did you have to leave me alone in this cold, dark world? With you guys, I could face any hardships that were coming my way but now… I can’t do anything. Tears started to erupt and I couldn’t do anything to stop them. Someone… please save me…

“Um, are you okay?” A masculine voice called out as I was sitting on the floor pouring my heart out. Play it cool, EunAe. You got this.

“Haha, yeah. Sorry. Just got something in my eyes.” I turned towards my bed hoping he wouldn’t worry any longer. Hoping he would leave me alone, yet he did the exact opposite.

“Are you sure..? Doesn’t seem like you are… If you need anything, just know that I’m here for you, yeah?” He had a genuine voice of worry that made me melt since I was yearning for someone’s comfort. Why are you opening up to me..? Why are you so kind to a stranger that you just met..? Silence took over. I decided to finally look up at the mysterious stranger to find the attractive guy I had accidently pushed down from before. Why does it have to be you? He reminded me of someone that I desired from the past that it was too painful to stare at him. I glided towards my bed lying down. I heard footsteps touch the ground not in the opposite direction but towards my bed. He sat at the edge and started to speak, “You know, I understand how you feel. You might not believe it, but I also lost my parents. We were in America hoping for a better education for me. I despised it. I wanted to come back to Korea. It’s kinda embarrassing so don’t make fun of me but it was cause of a friend. Someone I cherished. Someone I wanted to grow up with. Someone that...” His voice trailed off in anguish that it also pained me to hear his story. Before I could speak up, he continued with his story. “Anyways, one day when I came back home my parents got into a fight. They were fighting over whether it was a good idea to come to America or not. Let me just tell you, my parents weren’t the type to back down. Fighting all the way into the night, they both gave up and walked out of the house. I ran after them hoping I could bring them back together but it was too late… an accident had occurred. I found them… dead. They were covered in each other’s blood that it disgusted me to even look at them. Had it not been that foolish fight… my parents would still be alive. The American government decided to move me back to Korea and put me in this orphanage. Ever since then, I have been living here. It’s not a terrible place, trust me. I love it, but… it just reminds me that I don’t have my family with me anymore. Sorry for the long story. I don’t usually share this with anyone but I heard that you also lost your parents. I know the pain that you’re going through right now so… you can rely on me with anything, alright?” I turned over to see him smiling at me. Not a sympathetic smile like the government officials gave me but a genuine smile. I felt the tears come back up. Fighting against my tears, I finally gave up as I started to bawl.

“Thank… thank you so much. It means a lot, really. I’m sorry about what happened to you. Thanks for helping me out." I wiped away my tears smiling at him. "My name is EunAe. Ko EunAe, and you?"

"Oh. Forgive me. Totally forgot to introduce myself, it's MinHyuk. Kang MinHyuk." Wow. He even has the same name as the MinHyuk I used to know. He even moved to America... in hope of a better education..? Is it really him..? No way.

"Kang MinHyuk..?" I said in shock as his smile turned into a grin.

"So you do remember me."

 

Hey guys! I know it's been forever since I last updated this story... I am such a failure haha. Please forgive meh~ I will be updating this more regularly so thanks for staying with me~ Special thanks to the people that are subscribed to this story right now. Comment and/or subscribe if you like it~