Chapter 16

How Much Is Your Soul (This version is discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DongHae POV


"After the promise of North Korea, to ease the strict rules on the border, follows the personal dialogue on Sunday. Go HyunJeong the South Korean Foreign Minister will meet with high ranking North Korean officials to discuss the future cooperation on the border"

Spellbound I stared at the flickering screen in front of me and watched as our Foreign Minister boarded the plane with his wife. At the sight of the couple I briefly turned my eyes away from the screen. Not long, however, and my eyes found their way back there. The words of the newscaster came to my ears, but the meaning remained foreign to me. My breathing became much heavier with every second. I could feel how tears were forming in my eyes, but I didn't want to cast them. I wanted to show no weakness. I had to be strong right now.

I felt how someone moved on the sofa. Cautiously, I peered to my right side and caught a glimpse of my Hyung. His face was angry and when I let my eyes roam to his hands, I realized that he had clenched them into fists. I quickly turned back to the TV, so I won't get caught staring at him.

The newscaster was still talking about the future meetings of the two countries, but I wasn't listening. I didn't want to listen. My whole interest was in the pictures that flashed on the small flickering screen in our living room. Again and again, the foreign minister was shown shaking hands with significant political figures but that didn't interest me either. The picture changed back to the studio where the news anchor was talking more about the upcoming meeting, but before he could even open his mouth, the screen went black.

"Enough nonsense for today, it's about time for bed, DongHae", DongHwa Hyung said in a low voice, and stood up from his seat. But before he could turn away and leave me, I held him back by his sleeve. Astonished, my brother turned to me.
Embarrassed, I stared at the carpet I was sitting on, and battled even more against my tears but this time it had no use. Only a few seconds later the first tear rolled down on my cheek.

DongHwa Hyung seemed worried and got on his knees. He wiped my tears away before they could fall from my face on the carpet. His simple touch broke the dam in me and made me shed even more tears. I began to sob violently and tried to hide my tears in front my Hyung, but it had no use. He had already noticed my weakness.

Slowly he sat down beside me on the floor and pulled me closer to him. He put his arms around me protectively. It felt good to be in his arms and feel his comforting warmth. Instantly I laid my head on his shoulder to find even more hold. I felt how he put his left hand gently on my head and slowly my hair. This simple touch made another gush of tears come from my eyes. Mercilessly they ran down on my face and finally dropped onto the thin fabric of my Hyungs T-shirt. The sudden wetness didn't seem to bother my Hyung at all.

"Don't cry. Everything will be alright again. I promise you", my Hyung said encouragingly and thereby strengthened his grip around my waist.
"But Hyung... What will be happening to us?", I asked and looked at him with teary eyes.
DongHwa Hyung sighed. His face told me, that he himself also didn't know the answer to my question, but at this moment he tried with all his strength to convince me that our future would be good. That now, as we were living in another city, we were able to start over again.

"Mokpo is our new home. We can start over as a family once again here. You'll see, soon everything will change for the better. Trust me! As long as we have each other, everything will be fine", he said in a gentle tone to which I laid my head gently back on his shoulder and nodded approvingly.

The tears in my eyes became lesser and finally dried up completely. My eyelids weighed heavily, so I decided to close them shortly. I felt how DongHwa still calmly my hair and I knew he was watching me closely. He sighed and finally rested his head on mine. He pulled me closer to him and finally rested his hand on my hip.

"I will always be there for you. Don't forget that", I heard my Hyung whisper.
I wanted to open my eyes to look at him, but my eyelids weighed too heavy. I also enjoyed his vicinity and his warmth way too much to be able to break away from him.

Before I knew it, sleep crept over me and brought me to the land of my dreams.


°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°


I felt how I was lifted by two strong arms, but I didn't open my eyes. As a child, DongHwa had always carried me to my room, when I fell asleep in front of the TV and even now there seemed to be no difference. With relish I pressed my head closer to his chest, breathing in his scent. But I didn't recognize it as his at all.

Again, I sniffed the person who held me in his arms, but this time as well I couldn't detect the smell of my brother. Cautiously, I opened my eyes a bit to see in whose arms I was. My heart sank when I saw him through the narrow gap. HyukJae.

Mourning was widespread in me. I should have known that it had been a dream before, but a small part in me was hoping that it wasn't. It would have been nice if everything that had happened in the past few years would have turned out to be a nightmare. My heart was heavy at the thought of everything that I had lost in the past years. I felt tears rose up in me.

HyukJae gently laid me on a soft surface. With hasty steps he walked away from me. I heard his footsteps getting quieter and eventually disappear. Reluctantly I opened my eyes and realized that he had put me on one of the sofas.
Soft footsteps invaded again in my ears so I quickly closed my eyes and I turned to the side so he couldn't see that I wasn't asleep.

"HyukJae-yah! This is important. So when you finally...", I heard Sora shout furiously, but before she could even finish her sentence, she was 'sht' by HyukJae. Sora snorted out loud and wanted to speak again, but HyukJae beat her to it.
"I'll be right with you to discuss everything", he said in a serious tone, and came closer towards me. Hastily I squinted my eyes and tried to control my breathing, so he wouldn't notice that I wasn't asleep. My heart was beating wildly against my chest, when his footsteps were getting closer and I knew he wasn't far away from me.
As his footsteps stopped in front of the sofa, I held my breath shortly, praying that he wouldn't notice anything. To my relief, he actually didn't realize that I wasn't asleep.

I felt how he slowly slid his hand under my head, and raised it briefly. A rustling sound reached my ears and I wondered what he was up to. Slowly he laid my head back down. I noticed that he had pushed a pillow under my head. A little later he laid a thick, fluffy duvet over me. I quickly dug my fingers into the blanket and pulled it up to my chin while sighing blissfully.

Tense I listened to the silence in the apartment. HyukJae still hasn't moved from his spot and Sora hadn't started to talk again either. I felt extremely uncomfortable and yet I had to endure this situation somehow.

"Lee HyukJae! Now, at last, come here so I can talk to you", Sora exclaimed suddenly, startling myself tremendously. I didn't know Sora for quite a long time, but the tone she had struck at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter