Strange School Day

Miss Indigent, Mister Jerk

 

 


 

 

It was another tiring day at school, and a hot one too.

You sat at the back of the classroom as usual beside a boy named Kevin who seems to be lost in his own world. Your classmates seem to be concentrating too well on the teacher's lesson except you and your desk partner.

You never considered him as your friend but he did and he has many things in common with you. Both of you really dislike hot weather so everytime it's that kind day, the both of you can't be bothered doing class work. Besides, your grades are pretty good so it won't do any harm, right?

You boredly tapped your pen against the desk and turned to look at Kevin. 

At the corner of his lips was a sticky wet liquid - drool.

Most people would react or nudge him because it's daytime! And drooling is common in sleep, unless he was thinking of cheeseburgers. Delicious.

You thought it was perfectly normal so you let him be.

To pass time, you recalled what had happened today; You dropped off a donation box full of toys at a kindergarten and handed a letter to a postman who seems to be passing by. After that, you made a quick dash to the school and into the classroom without looking at your surrondings. End.

Still bored, you decided to concentrate on the mole of the teacher.

The mole grew larger as the teacher's words came out as blabbering and nonsense.

Your vision started to get blurry and before you knew it, everything went black.

 

''YAHHHHH!!!''

A powerful flick landed on your forehead. You immediately jolted up and adjust your eyes to the brightness.

The teacher stood there with an annoyed expression and his arms crossed.

Okay, everyone in this town is kind including the man in front of you and glaring. It's just that he is probably in a bad mood. Your eyes scanned the room again and landed on Kevin beside you. He was groaning and rubbing his forehead.

''Nobody. NOBODY! IS ALLOWED TO SLEEP IN MY CLASS!' the teacher roared. You blink repeatedly. *I was sleeping? The mole must have knocked me out.*

''I wasn't even sleeping,'' Kevin mumbled quietly.

''That also includes daydreaming,'' the teacher announced. 

You eyed the two of them before you quickly clasped your hands together with an apologetic look. ''Sorry, Mr. Cha! I won't ever do it again!''

He raised a eyebrow. ''I'll let this pass since your one of our top students but you...'' he turned to face Kevin. ''...will get detention.''

Kevin rolled his eyes and muttered a few curse words.

Again, he is a friendly person but he must have had problems with his girlfriend. He always talks about how great his girlfriend is and it makes you wonder if this is what a couple relationship is like.

The teacher looked at you again, handed you a paper and pointed. ''Read this section.''

You obediently obeyed and started reading. ''Complete and sign the form on the back if you wish to apply for Seoul--''

Seoul.

Seoul?

SEOUL?!

The place you disliked the most was heard yet again and it has only been a few months since you moved. You thought that you would never hear it again for a few years.

Your eyes scrolled down the page.

It's a school - a boarding school.

Anyone can tell that it's a grand school even just by looking at the cover. The school seems to be a bragger because it stated that it's wealthy and a difficult school to get in.

''Ahem.''

The teacher impatiently tapped his foot and gestured you to continue. *Oh, right.*

You cleared your throat. ''--Seoul YPGA High Boarding School.''

''Good. The next person to read is Pey.''

While Pey was doing her assigned job, you were examining the flyer.

There were three students standing side by side and were modelling for the front cover.

The left one was a rather handsome person and mysterious looking.

' The right one is a beautiful female with flawless skin and smooth hair that most girls would die for.

The middle model caught your eyes. He was not only attractive, but innocent-looking and pure. He sort of resembles the pretty girl on the right in your opinion.

You slowly lifted your gaze of the paper and raised your arm.

Mr. Cha sighed. ''What is it Tae Jaen?''

''I want to know why you gave us these,'' you stated.

He grunted. ''If you were listening, you've know.''

You said nothing but waited patiently for the reason.

He rubbed his temples. ''Well. This school is closing down...'' *Closing down?!* you inwardly gasped.

''...and a friend of mine in Seoul YPGA High gave all students in this school a chance to apply for this school.''

The room was silent for a while. ''But why? Why is this school closing down?'' you asked hesitantly.

The bell suddenly rang and Mr. Cha ignored your question by dismissing the students. You said no more.

You politely bowed and stalked off to your apartment with the flyer still in your grasp while re-reading it.

 

''Tae Jaen!"

You recognised that voice.

You turned around and saw Kevin running from a far distance to you.

You started to panic. Usually after school, he would always walk beside you to your apartment and talk non-stop about his girlfriend which really tires you out, especially after a really hot school day.

Once he finally caught up, you asked him 'What are you doing here?'' in a fake and happy manner, but it still sounded hoarse, when inside, your actually panicking and wanting to ditch him.

He frowned. ''That's not how you talk to you're bestie.''

Also, you weren't in the mood to chat to anyone because you still haven't gotten over the fact that Mr. Cha won't give you the reason why the school is closing down.

He usually tells you almost everything. Like the one where he sleeps with his favourite plushie, Dede. Aka known as his no.1 bestie.

''Sorry, I just want to get home quickly,'' you lamely replied.

You prayed, hoping that he would get lost.

He stared at you for a second before breaking into a smile. ''Okay. Get home safely, alright?''

You nodded. *Thank God!*

''See you later.'' He patted your shoulder before heading in the opposite direction.

You sighed when he was completely out of sight and continued walking.

''It's time...''

You reached your apartment, exchanged greetings with the landlady and headed upstairs to your desk. You made a grab for a pen and mindlessly wrote on a blank piece of paper.

 

Dear Wendy Chan,

 

This school day is different and weird.

The school is closing down.

My classmates all received a form to apply for a boarding school in Seoul.

I don't want to but I have no choice. The boarding school isn't that bad and I can't just give up on my studies.

I don't want to disappoint Mr. Cha because he looked really upset that the school is closing down but he won't tell me why it is.

Besides, I can't keep running away. I should start fresh at Seoul, shouldn't I?

 

Sincerely, Park Cathy.