Before And After

Miss Indigent, Mister Jerk

 

 


 

 

The door shook as there were soft knocks in the morning. You began to wake up to the world and lazily sat up with your eyelids still glued to the skin.The door opened with a creak and a familiar presence stepped inside. ''Tae Jaen?'' the landlady spoke.

''Mm?'' you replied with one eye fully opened. ''You have school today,'' she reminded. *Oops, I forgot.*

''Thank you.'' You smiled as she left the room.

To be honest, it wasn't really a school. It was more like a tutor because it only has a few classes with six students in each. Money is tight, I tell you.

You opened your other eye and managed to stand on both feet, walk to the window and move the curtains apart.

The warm sun rays immediately shone on you, making your eyes squint. *I wish it was winter.*

You disliked hot and sunny days the most. You've grown used to the coldness because back then in Seoul because you had always lived on the streets, even on rainy or snowy days. The weird thing is, you barely caught a cold. If you did, you would recover quickly. Sometimes you thought you were a alien or a strange creature, but no. You were a human. The problem is, everyone thinks that you're a monster from a horror movie because of your scary appearance.

Life in Seoul is the worst. Your usual sleeping place was near the subways. It used to be a place where all homeless people would sleep but when you entered, they all ran for their lives. So basically, that lonely area is now your home.

The guards were too afraid to even scold you so they let you be. Whilst living there, most gangsters would often pass by and kidnap lost children, and when they saw you, they screamed and never came back.

To live, you looked for many jobs but got rejected so you ended up digging through the trash cans and begged for money. Which is a suprise, considering that you didn't want any help. Passerbys feared you so they just threw their donation and ran off because they thought that if they didn't, they'll be cursed by you. 

Now was the time - the time where you moved to another town.

As of today, life is great.

Everyone in your new hometown treated you nicely and equally despite the looks. Mostly because a few were blind and the rest probably looked similar to you. They even provided you with shelter and food.

You smiled and laughed very often now. It was amazing. It's like a dream.

Out of all the people in the town, your landlady was probably the nicest person. She didn't even charge you for rent because money was tight for you.

Even though it sounds rude, she was you alarmclock. It's true. Everyday she would wake you up for school or inform you that it was time to go to your appointments.

She's sweet and caring. You actually thought of her as your mother for a minute.

You did your weekly morning routine by heading to the desk to write a letter to your only best friend in China, Wendy Chan.

Why don't you use internet or a messaging program? Because you can't even afford it.

Even though she's your friend, you're still a loner here. Well not really since you have your landlady, but still, she's like three times your age.

There laid a package with her letter attached to it. You grabbed the message first and read it.

 

Hola Park Cathy!

 

China is really hot and I wanna return to Seoul! It's no fun here. School is BORING!

My father is still working on his business thingy, so I don't think I can visit you until next year.

But you know that I've gave you a plane ticket to Hong Kong for you to use when you wanna come over right?

I know that your parents have past away there and you want to stay in the same country with them, but if you do come to live with us, you could always visit your parent's graves as much as you want! I won't force you to come over but it will be really awesome. My family is really worried about you, so caring eyy?

Your living fine in your new hometown right? As long as your happy, I'm happy!

Anyways, I've sent a few gifts for you. I know that you don't want any help or gifts, but don't be stubborn and accept it from your favourite bestie, pleeeeassse? YES! Yay! WOOHOO! Thanks! (I just know you will. Hehe).

 

From your coolest bestie, Wendy Tran.

 

You chuckled at her silliness but your smile quickly faded when she reminded you of your parents.

You opened your drawer and there laid the wrinkly plane ticket she mentioned. You had it with you for years. *Should I?...* You shook your head disapprovingly. *No. I can't go...yet...*

With a sigh, you tore open her package and found clothes and books.

A small smile crept up to your lips as you picked up a pen and began to quickly write.

 

Dear Wendy Tran,

 

Thank you for the gifts. Just by looking at the clothes, it's expensive! Why u so rich?! Anyways, you sent me my favourite book series! You know me too well! I could never throw away my bestie's gifts!

My new hometown is the greatest! Everyone is friendly! I think I've forgot to mention in my last letter that my landlady is the BEST!

I really--

 

The landlady poked her head in yourn room. ''Tae Jaen, I think it's time for you to go.''

''Yes. Thank you!''

 

--I really hope that my life today and so on will change.

 

Sincerely, Park Cathy.