The Bride and The End

Walking Down the Aisle

Sundays were usually spent in peace. A day when almost everyone are free of work and buzz of everyday stress. A day where we set everything back to order and take it slow to prepare for another week. But not this particular Sunday. High heels clack on the wooden floor as a beautiful woman in an elegant white dress pulled off the hair blower from the electric sockets and placed it on a small coffee table. Sets of make-up were scattered on the desk of a vanity dresser, some left unused while some were almost empty. The curtains covering the sliding door which leads to the balcony was tied up to let natural light do its work in the room.

 

Dara could hear people on the first floor of the house getting ready to go to the church. She stared at herself through the huge mirror attached to the desk. It felt familiar yet different at the same time. She had been through this before, but the circumstances were world’s end far from each other. Back then she was alone in the room facing a 5 by 6 mirror while trying to apply some plain make-up on her face. She had to wear her wedding dress on without any assistance. But now she had someone that willingly helps her.

 

“Your hair is done!” Seunghyun’s sister exclaimed, happy with how her work turned out. Dara’s hair was lightly curled at the bottom and was loosely tied in a half pony. A clip was attached at the slight puff of hair at the top of her head resembling a little tiara of flowers lined with small diamonds. Hye Yoon smiled. It was a simple hairstyle yet it seemed to have shown her goddess looks even more. “You look so beautiful. Seunghyun would be in awe when he sees you.”

 

She smiled brightly at her soon to be sister-in-law. “I owe all of this to you, unnie.” Dara stood up and gave her a hug. “Thank you so much for everything.”

 

The other chuckled while hugging her back, “No need to thank me, I didn’t do much and that’s because of your natural beauty. Besides, you know when I was younger I’ve always wanted a sister who I could play dress up with. And also my baby brother would throw a fit if I don’t take care of his fiancée.”

 

“Tabi would have tantrums.” They both laughed at the thought.

 

After a while though, Dara’s smile faltered a little.

 

“Is there something wrong, Darong?”

 

“I’m scared. What if…” she trailed off, not really knowing whether she should voice out her concerns or not. But the other seems to read her mind perfectly.

 

Hye Yoon held her hand. “Don’t be. Seunghyun would never leave you. If he does, our father would chase him with a gun on hand. And I would personally destroy his precious toy collections.” Dara giggled and nodded as she took a final glance on the mirror.

 

The cars arrived minutes later. Hye Yoon left first. And now that she’s alone, Dara’s heart started beating faster with anticipation and fear again. She was excited to get married to Seunghyun but she still can’t get that feeling of uncertainty out of her mind. What if he turns out to be the wrong person for her again? What if he decides he doesn’t love her as much as she does and leaves? Dara immediately felt down with the thought.

 

‘If that happens, I don’t know what I’ll do anymore.’ When Jiyong had left her, Seunghyun served as her cane to help her back up. But now, she would have no one.

 

She shook her head realizing that it’s no use to think like that right now. ‘Stop worrying yourself, dummy!’ She got in the car and was taken to the church. When the car stopped in front of the church, she took a deep breath before stepping out and walking towards the entrance. The church doors were still close so she waited for her cue.

 

Then she heard the music change and the doors slowly opened. A genuine smile appeared on her face as she began walking through the aisle. She took a glance at her surroundings and only one word came into her mind: magical. Everything seemed to have come out of fairytales children usually reads. The church was beautifully decorated down to the small details. The crowd smiled warmly at her and looked at her as if she was a princess. And there at the end of the aisle was her prince. He was there. Seunghyun was standing, waiting for her to reach him and hold his hand.

 

Back then this was an as-good-as-empty church. There were supposed to be only her, Jiyong and the priest, along with few of his assistants, who would’ve witnessed the ceremony. But it would’ve been enough for her, if only the groom showed up.

 

This time it was different. Much more different. Seunghyun was no Jiyong. Seunghyun was childish, clingy, and can be impulsive. While Jiyong was stern, professional and calculative. She had loved them at different times, but she was sure it wasn’t lesser than the other. But Jiyong belonged to the past. And she had loved him enough. Seunghyun is the present. And he’ll also be her future; that she’d make sure of. When she reached him he gently held her arm as he leaned closer to say, “You look wonderful,” with his face showing pure adoration for her. Then she was sure that she really belonged with him.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Time has passed and Dara could say she was happier with each passing day spent with her husband. And now they’re expecting a baby. Seunghyun was very ecstatic with the news, to the point he almost ran out of their home and announce to the whole neighborhood that he’s going to be a father.

 

“I hope it would be twins!”

 

“Please,” she rolled her eyes “I’m already taking care of one big baby here. Don’t make it three.”

 

Seunghyun pouted but she only laughed at him. Their sweet moment was suddenly interrupted by the sound of the doorbell.

 

“I’ll get it.” He volunteered and went to open the door.

 

Dara switched on the TV. She was about to tune in to her favorite noon time show when she suddenly heard her husband.

 

“What the hell are you doing here?”

 

She knows that tone. Seunghyun only uses it when he’s pissed or mad. And that rarely happens. She was immediately on her feet and heading to the front door.

 

“Tabi what’s wro-“ but her voice was caught in when she saw the person at their doorstep. “Ji….” Seunghyun must’ve recognized him from the old pictures of them she had shown him before.

 

“Dara, I-“

 

“Please leave my wife alone. You’ve done enough trouble.” He emphasized the word to kill whatever hope the other has of getting back with her. And even though he had used ‘please’, the hidden threat behind his words were evident. She held his arm to calm him down.

 

Jiyong looked at him straight on but he does not seem to show any sign of doing any harm. “I just want to talk to her. I won’t do anything you won’t like I swear.”

 

“Well you’re already doing something I don’t like just by showing up here.”

 

“Seunghyun.” She said in a warning tone. “I’ll talk to him.”

 

“But Dara-”

 

“Please,” she held his hand looked at him with determined eyes and he knew he can’t stop her.

 

“Alright. Just remember, stress is bad for you and the baby.”

 

She nodded, “we’ll be at the garden.”

 

Her husband was still hesitant but he left them nevertheless.

 

“Follow me.” She walked ahead of him, not even glancing at the man she once loved.

 

She doesn’t know what to call this man is in her life anymore. Ex-boyfriend? Ex-fiancé? Could’ve been? Should’ve been? She doesn’t even know if she could label him as a friend.

 

Dara sat on one of the metal chairs in the garden and motioned for Jiyong to occupy the one opposite hers. A circular marble table stood between them and she was grateful for the distance it created.

 

“You’re expecting a child?”

 

“Yes, I’m 4 weeks pregnant already.”

 

He nodded and they were both quiet. The silence stretched for only seconds but it unnerved her. Mustering the courage to break the awkwardness, she spoke. “What did you want to talk about, Jiyong?”

 

She could see how he tensed at her question. Jiyong clasped his hands together.  “I want to apologize and…” he swallowed, “I want to tell you why I left. An explanation is the least of what you deserve.”

 

His last words triggered something inside Dara. Before she realized it, she was shaking in anger and shouting at him. “You’re damn right it is!”

 

They both surprised by her outburst, even Dara herself. She knew this time would come. And she had somewhat willed herself to be as calm as possible when she sees him again by imagining scenarios in her head of their would-be encounter. But all the bottled up pain and feeling of betrayal had threw her plans out of the window.

 

“I’m sorry Dara. I really am.” He leaned down to rest his forehead on his palms, his elbows pressing painfully against his thighs. “God knows how much I hated myself for hurting you. Until now…I regret leaving you.”

 

“Then why did you, Ji?!” She was aware of the tears about to spill from her eyes. She just hopes Seunghyun won’t see this or else she was sure he’d charge at Jiyong. “Did you know I spent days and nights wondering what was wrong with me? But then I began to believe that maybe you just played me a fool, like something you just casually leave when your playtime is over.”

 

He hastily shook his head and pinned his eyes on her. It was then that she noticed how tired he looks. He got thinner and dark bags under his eyes had formed. And not only did his outer appearance had change, but the air around him as well. The Jiyong she knew was confident and free-spirited. Now he looks just like the shell of that man that he was once before. It was as if 10 years of his life had been taken away from him.

 

“No, that’s not true. Don’t ever think like that again. Don’t…just don’t doubt yourself and the love I had for you.”

 

“Then what do you want me to believe in?” she sounded just as tired as him. String of tears finally fell from her eyes and she struggled to stop more from falling. “Did you find somebody else? Is that why you did not marry me?” she asked, almost afraid he’d say yes.

 

Jiyong shook his head again. “No, even after all this time it’s still you Dara.” She was somehow relieved that he didn’t cheat on her but at the same time quite surprised. As far as she knows, Jiyong had ladies trailing after him. She had to glare them off when they were still together.

 

“I….I was afraid of the future I would give you and our family.” He took a deep breath. “I had no stable job. Our salaries barely pulled us through, what more if we had children?”

 

She had to look away, not used to seeing him in such a broken state. “We could’ve worked it out. We could’ve find a way together.”

 

“I know, but I was a coward Dara. My parents would never stop until they see us break it off, I don’t know how much we could take. I don’t want to feel that helplessness again like when you had an accident. And when I saw you crying because of our rent, I felt like such a big failure. You deserved better Dara.”

 

“Jiyong…” She looked at him and saw that he was getting teary eyed as well. It must’ve been hard for him to admit that he had been weak. The great Kwon Jiyong curling back because of his weakness.

 

“If the price of you getting a better future means I would lose you, then I don’t mind. Now look at you. You got your dream wedding with a guy who loves and protects you. And you’re gonna be a bigger family soon.” He tried to smile and sound happy but Dara knew it was killing him inside.

 

She then realized how miserable it must’ve been for him. When their relationship had reached its downfall, she had Seunghyun. Sure they were only friends back then, yet he still helped her forget him. But Jiyong had no one. She could only guess how his parents had rubbed what happened on his face. She then began to pity him.

 

“I’m sorry Dee.” Her attention was on him as she tried to ignore the realization that she had missed him calling her by her nickname. “I truly apologize for everything. I’ll understand if you won’t forgive me. All I wanted was for you to hear me out.”

 

Dara stood up and went in front of him. She placed a hand on his shoulder and offered him a small smile despite the tears she had. “I forgive you, Ji. I think I could never hate you, you know? I still don’t understand why you left but I know it wasn’t easy for you.”

 

He held the hand that was on him while finally letting the tears flow from his eyes. “Thank you. Thank you. Thank you,” he repeated as if she had just given him another life.

 

“It could’ve been different for us. We could’ve been happier. But we can’t change the past. I’ve already moved on, and you should as well.”

 

“I don’t know how Dara. You’re still all I want.”

 

It was her turn to shake her head at what he said. “You know how to, Ji. And it’s not me you want, but my forgiveness. I already gave you that, now it’s time you also forgive yourself.”

 

“Dara…”

 

“Stop punishing yourself. Come on, that’s not the Kwon Jiyong I knew. I’m tired of all the drama, and I’m guessing you are as well.”

 

He smiled at her and wiped away his tears. “I’ll try.”

 

She took back her hand and placed it on her tummy. “Who knows, if you get back on your feet you could be my child’s godfather.”

 

Jiyong stared at her in disbelief but then he chuckled. “That would be good. Though I don’t think your husband would be happy about that.”

 

“Seunghyun may act rough but that’s because he kinda had the wrong impression of you. But he’ll come around.”

 

Jiyong chuckled a little and stood up from his seat. “I…I should get going now, I don’t want to disturb you and your husband any further.”

 

Dara just gave him a small smile, “I’m glad that we can finally put this behind us.”

 

And despite the evidence of tears still present from his eyes, Kwon Jiyong managed to give her a genuine smile and said, “Me too.”

~*~*~*~*~*~

Dara lead him back to the front door when he was ready to leave. Jiyong was just stepping outside of the house when Seunghyun came out from one of the rooms, and upon seeing Dara’s face, knew that she cried. “Is everything okay?” He said suspiciously as he went to his wife’s side and placed his arm around her shoulders. 

 

She rested her head on his shoulders to reassure him. “Everything is fine now.” Seunghyun glanced at Jiyong and gave him a nod, which the other man returned.

 

Jiyong turned to leave and was a few steps away from his car when Dara shouted. “Come visit us soon, okay? Don’t be a stranger!” He turned to the couple one last time and gave them a smile.

~*~*~*~*~*~

THE END

~*~*~*~*~*~

A/N: Finally, it’s complete! I am very sorry because it took a long time before I was able to finish this fic. To be honest, I’ve written the last chapter a long time ago, but it is only now that I was inspired to work on it again. I’ve been gone from the kpop scene for a long time and I thought I was never coming back, but that recent DaraGon evidence got me! Ironically, though, I chose to finish this TabiSan story lol. However, as much as I want to continue my other stories, I’m afraid that I already don’t have those works on my laptop anymore. Any template or draft regarding their updates are long gone. And I don’t remember their plots and my ideas for them anymore. So I’m sorry to say but I won’t be updating my older stories, even those from my old account, AppleLover08. I MAY upload new ones though if I find more inspiration. J Anyway, thank you for your support! Thank you for reading and appreciating this story ^_^ Til the next time, bye!

 

Love lots,

Rawr_Tabi