Choco Milk

Drink by Drink, Night by Night

Yongguk glanced around the dark room, the other members long asleep, and sighed quietly. Another night without sleep, it would seem. He really didn't oppose them all rooming together. He thought it was a great idea. But he wouldn't be exaggerating when he said that he sometimes dreamed of sleeping in his own room, a room where you couldn't hear Himchan's light snoring, Junhong's murmurs. Jongup's teeth grinding and the music from Youngjae's headphones were out of earshot. And Daehyun's damn restlessness. He slept in the bunk above Yongguk and every little toss and turn he made would always break him out of whatever little amount of sleep he had managed to grasp.

 

Yongguk sighed again and closed his eyes. So many distractions and so little sleep. It was really beginning to work on his nerves. Sometimes he even started doubting his leading abilities because he'll catch himself on the edge. Ready to snap at the kids when they ask simple questions. Gritting his teeth at Himchan's grating voice. Yongguk raises his hands and tries to rub some sleep into his eyes, hoping for a miracle, that he'll pass out from exhaustion soon. The bed shakes and he thinks there's an earthquake but then he hears a soft whimper from above his head and clenches his fists. Goddammit Daehyun. If you can't get a peaceful night's sleep, how do you expect me to?

 

Ready to burst, Yongguk gets up quickly and exits the claustrophobic room. He stands in the hallway for a moment, massaging the bridge of his nose, trying to suppress a headache he can feel itching in the back of his eyes. A drink. He needs a drink.

 

He stumbles his way to the kitchen and leans with his torso spread on the counter, drinking in the coolness of the granite top. He stays there for a while, enjoying the calmness of the empty kitchen. As the counter top begins to warm up from his own body heat, Yongguk sighs loudly and lifts his body up. It seems that's all he ever does. Sigh. Sigh. There wasn't much else he could do. Oh yea , there was. He could smile and perform and throw hearts to the fans. He doesn't regret what he did. Become an idol. A lot of people think he sold out, but Yongguk never saw it that way. He just wants to be heard. He doesn't understand why others don't get it. That's probably what beings all the members together the closest. They all want to be heard. By the fans. By their critics. By the world. They were hardly joking when they said they wanted to take over the world.

 

Yongguk knows that you have to take everything in this industry with a grain of salt. He understands how fake and staged everything is here. That's why he chose TS Entertainment. They had promised him his own say in his music. His music. Yes. It was his. They're his lyrics. His heart and soul. Sung by him and some of the closest friends he's ever come to know. He smiled a little, happy at the fact that many fans had told him that they'd found interest in hip hop because they knew of his underground days. These kids, their fans, were so young and naive. But they really surprised him sometimes. They're so full of love, willing to show it to so many others. He doesn't know about other idol groups' fans, but he can tell that his are special; his BABYs.

 

Yongguk glances at the clock and winces at the bright lights that read out 3:37 A.M. Four more hours until it's time to wake up. No matter if he sold out or not, he's definitely not living the easy life being an idol. It's hard ing work. It's exhausting. But he's not going to quit. No way. Not when things are just getting started. Yongguk reaches for a cabinet overhead and pulls down a medium-sized glass. Looking in the fridge, he sees that there isn't much to drink. Just milk, really. Well, it's better than nothing. Maybe there's some chocolate syrup in the pantry.

 

Yongguk pours himself a glass, not caring too much that he spilled a little on the counter. Someone'll clean that up eventually, he's sure. He sets the glass and carton of milk on the counter and ventures to the pantry to find some chocolate syrup.

 

After a few minutes of rummaging, Yongguk comes put victorious, an unopened bottle of chocolate syrup in hand. He squeezes a more than generous amount into his glass and quietly stirs a spoon in the cup, making sure not to clank the sides too loudly. He may not be able to sleep but that doesn't mean that he should disturb the other members out of their hard-earned slumber.

 

Leaning with his back on the counter edge, Yongguk takes a long, slow, and satisfying drink of his chocolate milk. It tastes so much better knowing he had to fend off a hostile-looking spider in the pantry. Yes, this was a well-fought victory.

 

Yongguk stands there for a while, occasionally sipping his drink, deciding to savor it slowly because sleep didn't seem to be anywhere near. The soft shuffling noise down the hallway goes unnoticed. Yongguk doesn't notice anything in fact, until he looks up and sees Daehyun standing a few feet in front of his, smiling with his eyes half closed.

 

"Ahh hyung, you found my secret stash of chocolate syrup I see." Daehyun says quietly and laughs a little, his eyes wrinkling shut for a moment.

 

Yongguk chuckles at him because it was hardly a secret. It was only shoved back on the top shelf. But he likes to humor the kid. "Yea. It was a tough spot to find. Had to fend off a giant eight-legged monster just to get it."

 

Daehyun laughs again and leans against the counter next to Yongguk. "To tell you the truth, I just threw it up there because... the spiders," he smiles embarrassingly. "Bugs... aren't my favorite thing in the world..."

 

Yongguk sets his chocolate milk down on the counter between them and puts his arm around the lounger's shoulders. "Hehee yea me too, kid. I might have yelped a little when I saw it."

 

Daehyun looks up at Yongguk and smiles widely, his hand sliding across the counter going unnoticed by the older. Yongguk starts smiling too until he sees the younger boy gulping down the rest of his drink.

 

"Yah! I worked hard for that!" He tries to grab the class from Daehyun's hand but he's already in his way to the sink.

 

"Hey it's my chocolate syrup! I think it's only fair that we share." Daehyun replies sweetly while he rinses out the cup. He turns to see Yongguk actually pouting, his arms crossing his chest, looking like a child who's toy was just taken away. Daehyun laughs and walks up to the leader.

 

"Hyung, come on now. I'll make it up to you. I'll make you a glass tomorrow night, okay?" Yongguk huffs and nods slowly in response. "For being the eldest of us, you sure are a kid sometimes. But that's okay. It'd be pretty boring if you were always acting like some old uncle."

 

Yongguk lets his arms down and runs a hand through his hair, "I'm not a kid, kid. And I'm holding you to your offer tomorrow night." He shoved the boy gently towards the hallway. "Now go get some sleep, we have to be up soon."

 

"Same goes for you hyung, I know you don't sleep well at night. I always feel you tossing and turning. You know, it makes it really hard to get a good night's sleep." Daehyun lightly pats Yongguk's arm as he turns towards the hallway. "Goodnight hyung."

 

"Yea, goodnight." Yongguk watches the kid stalk down the hallway, hearing a muffled 'ouch!' as Yongguk knows that he stubbed his toe on the small step of the bedroom door. Just like Daehyun does every night. Will that kid ever learn to pick up his feet when he walks? He looks around the kitchen, noticing the carton of milk still on the counter and a few drops of milk on the counter. He puts the milk back into the fridge and considers cleaning the counter top but he suddenly he feels a wave of sleep overcoming him. Oh well... it'll get cleaned up.

 

Yongguk yawns widely and walks to the bedroom, avoiding the step, and slowly climbs into bed. Yea, it's definitely sleep he feels. Sweet, foggy sleep. Let's make these last few hours last.

 

 

 

 

———————————————

sob sob sob made it a one shot because i can't write for