Shortie Pie.

Save the Last Dance for Me

 

Jieun walked into her first class of the day, picking a seat in the back half of the classroom- just far enough so that she could take a power nap pretending to take notes and not get in trouble. She adjusted her headphones and skipped a few songs until she was satisfied and rested her chin in her hand, staring idly out the window to wait for the teacher to arrive. Barely paying attention to the endless talking her teacher did when he did arrive and pretended to take notes. The lesson passed quickly as she drew cartooned caricatures of herself and the people around her as she observed them out of the corner of her eye, and made the teacher have a comically large mouth spitting out large block letters.  Looking back on her ‘work’ she smiled to herself and zoned out for the rest of class.

She barely noticed how the bell rang, slipping past people easily to go pick up a book from her locker to read in class. On her way back, she took a different hallway to avoid the main hallway traffic. Around one of the corners, she heard a heavy beat and people moving around. She peeked cautiously around the corner, making sure to stay hidden. It was when she saw that a group of boys were dancing that her face fell into a frown. “I didn’t think our dancing was that bad.” A voice behind Jieun brought her back to reality, flinching and instinctually putting a hand over her now rapidly beating heart. The boy chuckled, picking up the book Jieun dropped, handing it to her. “Thank you, and it wasn’t your dancing. I swear.” Jieun stumbled over her words in her embarrassment, “By any chance, are you- and those guys- part of the dance club?” blinking up hopefully at the boy. He stared at her quizzically, wondering why someone who read old English poetry was interested in dance. “It’s… Well, I’d like to join… Which is why I’m asking?” Jieun lost her confidence from a moment before, shrinking under the boy’s stare.

You'd like to join the dance club?" The boy mused, smirking slightly. "Long story... Er.." Jieun tilted her head, not sure who she has been talking to. "L.Joe." He replied, "What about you, Shortie Pie?" 

"Shortie pie?" She raised her brow at him. "Its Jieun. And look who's talking." poking his forehead. L.Joe scoffed, about to speak but was interrupted by a tall boy poking his head from inside the classroom. 

"Hyung, who's this? Girlfriend?" Jieun scrunched her nose and L.Joe snorted, "I guess not…" He trailed off, stepping out into the hall. 

"Niel, Jieun." L.Joe nodded his head at both of them, Niel smiling brightly and extending his hand. "Hello." Jieun returned a small smile and shook his hand. 

"What brings you here, Miss Jieun." Niel gestured grandly to the empty hall around him. "I was just--" She started pointing to the book in her hand. "She wants to join the club." L.Joe cut in, looking bored. Niel’s grabbed her hand with both hands and looked excitedly at Jieun. “Really? Will you really join?” he asked, bouncing in place like a little kid. Jieun nodded tentatively, blinking at the amount of energy this tall boy in front of her had.

“Come on then.” L.Joe said as he walked coolly into the empty room, not looking back to see if Niel and Jieun followed. “Is he always…” Jieun whispered, sending a pointed stare at the back of L.Joe’s head and back to Niel. “Yeah.” He whispered back, nodding as he motioned for the two of them to follow. Jieun walked slowly, hugging the book to her chest. She hid behind Niel, who was fortunately around a head taller than her.

Jieun peered around the room, trying to see the people in the room. Seeing mostly guys, she hoped to find a girl she could at least become acquainted with. Everybody seemed to be doing their own thing, not paying attention to the three people that just entered. Niel stopped suddenly, causing Jieun to walk straight into his back with a quiet ‘oof.’ The unfamiliar and girly voice caused everyone to turn towards Niel in confusion which in turn made Jieun clear and step out from behind him feeling extremely out of place clutching the large book to her chest.

It was L.Joe who broke the silence, “Welcome the newbie.”