Chapter 6 – Loveless Kiss

Invisible Wings

‘Jonghyun! Jonghyun! Hey dude, stop! Wait up!

The furious Heir had stormed his way out into the immense, open field, fenced by towering trees. The moon, a full orb of yellow-white light, hung above as though it were watching the scene. Such an innocent and immaculate face it had, as it beamed down, quite oblivious to the happenings below. The lake lay a few yards away, and the land rose and dipped smoothly: soft echoes of greater upheavals further down the horizon. From the eye of someone back at his home, his figure would have seemed merely a tiny speck – a speck which scurried along the endless grass field like an insignificant being: a minor addition to the vast land he was running along. This feeling of inferiority troubled him. It was the countertype of the attention and importance he deserved. He now stopped abruptly and spun around to face his panting servant, who had finally caught up.

‘No, don’t “dude” me. Never “dude” me! I see that your respect has worn off quite significantly in the past couple of hours. Remember your status and watch your tongue, minion.’

Minhobowed his head apologetically and was silenced for a few moments before inquiring, tentatively, ‘Jonghyun, shouldn’t we go back and sort things out with Onew?’

The First Heir had been prodding at a tuft of wild grass with his foot as he half-listened to his sidekick and half contemplated upon the happenings back at the cottage. ‘And why would we do that?’ he asked, frowning.

‘Well… after all, you did say some pretty harsh words –’

‘And you think he didn’t?’

‘Jonghyun, that was his home and his business. You did the wrong thing in barging in.’

‘I was actually speaking up for him, if you had been too stupid to realize.’

‘That may be true,’ Minho kept his tone steady to ensure that he did not spark off another outburst from the short-tempered angel, ‘but you should still go back and apologise for your mannerisms. Perhaps you two can straighten things out –’

‘No need,’ Jonghyun interjected tersely, ‘I’m not living with them, anyway – can’t stand them. Minho, find us another place to stay. Now.’

‘What?’ Minho looked incredulous as his already marble-like eyes enlarged even further with shock.

‘You heard me. My patience is limited; don’t make me repeat myself.’ Jonghyun kicked hard at the tuft of grass and began pacing the ground aimlessly.

‘This isn’t the middle of the city; we’re not going to be able to easily find someone who’s willing to take us in. Jonghyun, just make do with the best we have. And besides, I think Onew’s house is a perfectly safe and comfortable place for us to stay. Once you two sort –’

‘I’m not going back!’ insisted Jonghyun stubbornly. ‘It’s as simple as that.’

‘Why? Are you embarrassed? Ashamed at your lack of courtesy? Or is it just because you can’t stand the fact that, when you live there, Onew is in charge, seeing that it’s his home, and you’re not? Learn, Jonghyun. This is the human world. You are the same level as them – you are not the First Heir here and you will not be treated like you are. Get rid of that arrogant manner of yours and you will find it much easier to fulfill your mission so that you can return back home as soon as possible. With the attitude you have now, you’re not going to be able to fit into any other person’s home.’

Jonghyun, who had been gritting his teeth during Minho’s speech, leapt forward and rammed his hands around his servant’s neck, shaking aggressively. He did not intend on seriously hurting him; merely put forward his warning and make his high rank be reminded.

‘You will never speak to me so. Do you understand?’ he glared into the mesmerizing eyes of the sidekick – the height difference meant that he had to incline his head upwards slightly to do so – making it clear that he was not going to tolerate such treatment from a lower-class member. ‘Now, find somewhere for us to stay for the night.’ Jonghyun released his hands and turned to face the opposite direction at the row of soaring trees. He did not threaten Minho that he would exile him back to the Heavens; he had seen the need for the sensible and quickly-adapted young man to be with him, much against his will of admitting defeat in this aspect.

‘Well… no matter what the ending result is, we still have to go back, anyway,’ informed Minho diplomatically.

‘Why?’

‘Jonghyun, we haven’t taken our things. Even if we were to leave, we still have to go back and collect them.’

‘What things? I didn’t have anything with me to begin with from the moment I was thrown down into this pathetic world.’ Jonghyun rolled his eyes and held his hands out with the palms facing the sky: a frustrated signal to indicate “nothing”. It was true, he had nothing with him except a rebellious servant who spoke to him almost like an equal, a rotten quest to fulfill, a shameful deprivation of his rights and rank, and –

‘The angel statue. I didn’t take that. It’s still sitting on the table in the guest room we were supposed to stay in.’

‘You idiot! Why didn’t you take it?’ Jonghyun out his arms and flailed them exasperatingly in the cold air.

‘Well, if you hadn’t run out so fast and at least warned me that you didn’t intend on returning, I would have!’ Minho defended himself indignantly, but held back any further comments when he saw the look in his master’s eyes. ‘First Heir,’ he used the title to please and satisfy, ‘we have to go back and get it. Fast – before they find it and wonder why that is the only item someone would take with them after being “kicked out of their family’s home”. It’s evidence of our identity. You wouldn’t want them to find out, or your chances at fulfilling the quest the Chief has set for you will become slimmer, and perhaps, impossible!’

‘Well, you know what? Screw this! I really don’t care anymore. What was it that I had to do?’

‘Learn to love and find your true love’s first kiss before the dawn of your twenty-first birthday, which, you should know, is ticking closer and closer to us by the – JONGHYUN!

Minho’s precise recitation of the Chief’s orders and attempt at persuasion were cut off abruptly as the First Heir sprinted off. The servant groaned, aggravated, as he sped off after the golden-haired boy again.

Jonghyun felt the icy wind whip against his face as his feet tapped at the floor in a rhythmic motion, bringing him closer to his target. Why a girl would choose to stroll around unguarded in such a wild and open space in pitch darkness he could not comprehend, but whatever it was that he chose to do was the way he would have it. It had always been so. And, of course, he expected forgiveness as he approached the unfamiliar girl – she raised her pretty face and eyed him curiously – and placed both his hands on either side of her cheek. Come to think of it, he did not need forgiveness; after all, he was not doing anything wrong. This was his quest, and he was here to accomplish it as he had been instructed, or forced, to do. Those were the only thoughts running through his reckless mind as he leaned forward and pressed his lips hard on those of the girl’s. He did it with force, his hands pushing firmly in on the sides of her face and his head slightly tilted.

She was too stunned to flinch or draw back, so stood stiffly as the stranger kissed her impassively and emotionlessly. Just as she came to realize the ridicule of such treatment, the foreigner was forced to draw away as yet another stranger approached. The newcomer had the same aura of rage as he reached the pair and bellowed what she assumed was the first boy’s name.

KIM JONGHYUN!

The First Heir released the unidentified girl and turned to face his sidekick.

Minhofelt the outrage rise and fall rapidly inside his chest as he struggled to form a remark capable of expressing his infuriation. ‘Have you… have you taken entire leave of your senses?’ the servant roared.

‘Why are you yelling at me?’ Jonghyun was resentful. ‘Aren’t I supposed to be doing what the Chief said? There, I did it just then! Now, you go and tell him that I have fulfilled what he asked me to, and that I demand to be returned to the skies where I shall succeed the throne! No, wait, I bet he’s watching right now.’ He moved a few steps away and hollered up to the sky, ‘Chief! You see that? I’ve done what you asked of me! Now give me back my wings, and let me return home!’

MASTER!’ Minho had almost jumped out of his skin as Jonghyun stood before him, carelessly forming aural evidence of their identity. ‘You mustn’t speak so! I beg you to calm yourself!’

Jonghyun had his hands cupped around his mouth as he called raucously to the sky, but Minho darted forward and seized him by the arms, forcefully bringing them down to his sides and clapping a hand over his mouth to silence him and prevent further trouble. The two stood, swaying and wrestling on the spot before Minho finally yielded to the knowledge of his lower position and released his thrashing master.

‘You… you are the first person I have ever met to have the audacity to physically attack me so! You…’ Jonghyun stood clenching his fists tightly. His outrage and disbelief was so strong that he remained motionless and rooted to the spot, torn between the temptation to leap forward and pound on the insolent servant and the desire to drag him across the field to the lake, where he would push him into the waters and have him carve the lowness of his ranking into his naïve mind.

The First Heir was defeated by his haste and unsuppressed ferocity. He raised his hand and sent forward a jet of golden light; it shot straight at Minho, whose agility allowed him to duck before it hit him squarely in the face. The trail of blinding gold rammed itself into a tree behind, tearing off parts of its bulky branches with a deafening rumble like thunder.

Master!’ Minho shouted. ‘Now is not the time to utilize magic or begin fights! You are a Light Angel; your powers are for the purpose of bringing light to others. You do not exercise such divine magic for the purpose of malice! And you shall not duel with me – for I am with you on your side! Whatever has gotten into your mind? Immediately cease this reckless behaviour!’

‘Well, what are you then?’ rebutted Jonghyun.

‘What am I?’

‘I asked you what type you are!’ the First Heir roared.

‘I-I-I am a Guardian Angel. My powers specialize in protection, defence and healing. First Heir, I –’

‘Ahh… the Guardian type. The most useless when it comes to battle, I do recall,’ Jonghyun gloated, a smirk dangling off his face.

‘First Heir, this is not the time to –’

‘I no longer need you anymore, anyway!’ Minho’s plea for peace was cut short by Jonghyun, whose chest was inflating and deflating itself at an alarming speed. ‘I have completed the quest. The Chief asked me to kiss some girl who was my true love or something, so there, I just did! Now why have I not gotten my wings back? Why are the gates of Heaven not opening up to welcome my return?’

‘Of course you don’t have your wings! You didn’t even do it properly!’ Minho looked as though he were on the verge of detonation as he looked pleadingly into the eyes of his master, willing some form of sense to develop.

‘Well, what else is expected then? I followed his words exactly! What am I without my wings? Have I, the First Heir to the throne of the Heavens, stooped to such a low level where I, as an angel, am not even in possession of my own wings?’

‘You really are a clueless imbecile! The Chief was spot-on right; you really have no idea what love is at all! That girl you kissed just then was not your true love! She –’

It was as though the reality had only just struck down on them – hard. The two yelling angels stopped in their actions simultaneously and turned their heads.

The girl stepped out from her concealment behind the tree; the two, in their complete immersion of argument, had failed to remember her presence and of all the words and events she had just borne witness to.

‘I’ve always believed in angels…’ she whispered under her breath.

 


Apologies for the EXTREMELY late update... I've been so busy lately with school work and I had my piano exam, too... ><

Hope you enjoy~ Subscribers and comments are greatly appreciated and loved~ ^^