you get burnt obviously

Playing with Fire

 

Day 21…

Seohyun was reaching her boiling point, she took a swift turn of the heels, glaring at Kyuhyun. It was a Sunday and she was heading to the school for practice, the competition was getting nearer.

“What are you doing?”

“Looking out for you?”

“What? Why?” Seohyun exasperated.  Kyuhyun just shrugged and motioned her to keep moving, especially that she was holding up the line for the bus. Blushing slightly, Seohyun reluctantly entered the bus followed by Kyuhyun who sat beside her to his own accord.

 

After a few minutes of silence, with Kyuhyun minding his own business, happily listening to whatever song he had in his iPod, Seohyun finally spoke, “Seriously what are you doing here?”

“I already told you why.”

“But it’s a Sunday, no one would be there to pull a prank at me.”

“I told you already, I like you.” A stunned pause from Seohyun.

“No, you don’t. This is just some game for you.” she finally countered.

Kyuhyun chuckles, “And how do you know that?” he arches an eyebrow at her challengingly.

“I don’t need to ask, people talk about you and they’re rarely praiseworthy.” And Seohyun stands up as they were already at their stop. Kyuhyun laughs silently behind her.

 

“Leave.” Seohyun orders as she keeps walking toward the school.

“If you be my girlfriend I will.”

Seohyun arches a knowing eyebrow. “Then wouldn’t that actually bring out a different effect.”

“Come on, I’m serous here.”

Seohyun folds her arms over her chest, “Really, for someone who is seriously wooing someone what is this I heard about you making a quickie with a senior in the clinic the other day? You know, that time I hit you on the face.”

Kyuhyun was now the one being silently surprised.  Seohyun starts to walk again, further and further away.

 

 

 

Seohyun receives an unknown call. And when she answered it, she instantly regretted doing so.

“How’d you – ”

“I’m serious enough to ask around for it.”

“Or seduce the secretary of the office, Mr. Secretary of the Student Council.”

Kyuhyun laughs at the other line. “Be my girlfriend, please?” Kyuhyun could only resort to being cheesy.

“No.” And Seohyun hangs up, threw her phone inside her and locked her locker before heading to the studio.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Kyuhyun is losing time, and he was nowhere near a hold of the hands and that happened days ago. His friends were slowly mocking him – that Kyuhyun had lost his touch that for the first time he couldn’t get what he wants. But Kyuhyun doesn’t want that. He wants Seohyun. He was sure about that for whatever reason there was, he knew he must have her if not her heart at least her first time. Selfish? Maybe but this would be the first time Cho Kyuhyun had felt wanting something so bad, he doesn’t know what to call it.

 

He had slowly grown to hate every man watching Seohyun with intent in their eyes. He’d get irritated when he hears others talking about her, praising her. He gets annoyed when someone else gets to bask in her kindness while she rejects him in every possible way.

 

 

 

He’s completely messed up. He knows, he realized. He hasn’t really looked at another woman since… he doesn’t even know when but he had stopped looking at a woman with nothing but lust and . And this was the characteristic factor that told him he was totally and undoubtedly in deep .

 

 

“Can you still do it?” Jonghyun asked. They were leisurely chilling in his room, playing games in their respective laptops. Kyuhyun momentarily froze, was he that obvious? He wondered.

“Of course,” Kyuhyun said indifferently.

“Okay,” Jonghyun shrugs, “Remember you only have two more days.

 

 

Oh Kyuhyun didn’t need any more reminding. He already had a plan in mind, it was low and Seohyun would probably hate him for life and it would totally destroy whatever trust he has build but he definitely didn’t want to lose.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Day 29…

Coincidentally it was the day of the Inter-high competition and Seohyun made a deal with Kyuhyun to finally shut him up. And when the competition was over and the winners announced, Kyuhyun smiled so wide it was amazing his face didn’t tear up into two halves.

 

 

There was an after party, everyone wasn’t surprised that the two of them came together, they were surprised at how they entered the club – holding hands but everyone recovered easily with the help of alcohol. They had played a few games. Seohyun’s complete participation shocked a few, especially the non-dance members.

 

Kyuhyun was busy keeping different hands off his girlfriend though that he was about to lose his temper.

 

 

“Kyuhyun!!!” Seohyun called out. Kyuhyun’s eyes went wide and his jaw drop when he saw his girl friend at the center podium dancing here and there with the others and few unknown wolves.

“! That’s it, we’re leaving.” And Kyuhyun drags the tipsy Seohyun off the stage, out the club and into a taxi where Seohyun dozed off.

 

 

Few minutes later, Seohyun woke up. Kyuhyun decided this was the right time.

“Seo I love you, you love me too right?” he asked over her ear and she replied in a slurred yes.

There was a pregnant pause before Kyuhyun gulps an invisible lump before saying, “I want to make love with you.”

Seohyun burst out laughing, Kyuhyun didn’t know what to exactly do about that. “Seriously, you look so funny,” she says as she wraps her arms around his neck. “For a player, you surely are being meek or was that just all stories?” And without a second thought Seohyun crashed lips with his. Kyuhyun flinched at how their teeth clashed. Awkward and unexperienced her kiss was, Kyuhyun breath was certainly blown away.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Day 30… End of Bet.

 

Kyuhyun’s phone rang incessantly, worsening Kyuhyun’s throbbing headache. Groggily he answered his phone. “Yeah?”  and his friends’ voices came out booming.

“So how was it? You got her?!”

“Of course.”

“How about the picture? Holy ! You’re really the man, Kyu!”

“Hang up and I’ll take it.”

“Okay! Okay!”

And before Kyuhyun could end the call he could hear celebrations from the other end, he rolled his eyes at their childishness but his heart stopped when he heard shuffling sounds from the bed.

 

“So much for I love you, huh?” Seohyun said sarcastically. She stands up, as she dresses herself.

“Heard everything?” Kyuhyun tried to sound cold though his heart says the complete opposite. Seohyun was silent as she checks herself in the mirror. Kyuhyun couldn’t take the silence anymore. He grabbed her hand, offering breakfast. “No thanks, just one question,” a slight pause as she ties her hair up, “Do I look y in the picture? We don’t want the guys to be disappointed, do we?”

“Seo, I –”

Seohyun shakes her hand free, Kyuhyun was surprised at the strength she had. “Everyone knew about the bet, Kyuhyun. Well, maybe not at first, but still everyone knew. I was just helping you, it wouldn't look good if your reputation gets tainted but then again to be the only thing you can’t have would’ve been a good title too,” Seohyun smirks though her eyes tells him otherwise.

 

 

*~*~*

 

It had been two weeks since they ‘broke up’, could they actually say they were dating even for a day when both of them knew it was just part of a bet, Seohyun wondered. But it certainly surprised her, since that morning no one had come to mock her, no one came to call her names, no pictures being virally passed around. No Kyuhyun popping up anywhere though he knew people were wondering the same thing as she did but they were courteous or lazy enough not to ask anything. The school went back to her mini haven.

 

 

“Tell me, why didn’t you give them that picture, or rather, why didn’t you take any?” she said as she looked straight at Kyuhyun’s eyes. They were inside the student council room, alone.  

Kyuhyun shrugged, “I realized I don’t’ want others to see something I work so hard to get... and maybe because I like you… for real.”

 

-click-

 

Kyuhyun saw Seohyun raise a recorder in the level of her shoulders, a small smile on her face. Kyuhyun with his head down a little smirked when he caught up on things as quickly as Seohyun’s personality changed or was this her true identity?

 

“I’m sorry, no offence but,” Seohyun said as she stepped closer to Kyuhyun. “The stakes’ much higher about ‘giving the badass playboy a taste of his medicine’ than ‘destroying the straight-laced student’s reputation’,” she said as she stride pass Kyuhyun.

 

“I’ll have you next time,” Kyuhyun said with an attitude, with his back facing Seohyun’s retreating back.

 

Kyuhyun bit his lower lip and thumb that he placed on its tip. The picture of pure innocence that became annoyingly blinding to some, that image he slowly destroyed enjoyably for a night was that all a cover-up?

“Seohyun,” he calls out before Seohyun could leave. “What you said back then, was that true?”

Seohyun sighed deeply before turning back to Kyuhyun. She placed something on top the table – a bracelet.

“You kept this?”

Seohyun shrugged, “I figured I couldn’t just keep on throwing away what my secret admirer gives right? It’s precious enough that I don’t go around without having it, wearing it or not. Remember that time I accidentally hit you in the face, this is what I returned for. Now tell me, what I said back then, do you think it was true?”

Kyuhyun could see Seohyun’s hand over the table shivering from anger, from disappointment or both and more.

 

 

“I knew, but I’m a stupid person because I still fall for those obvious game plan of yours.”

Kyuhyun was about to say something but Seohyun cut him off. “You know Kyu, I’m a hopeless romantic,” she smiled wistfully, “I believe in fairy tales and happy endings, I believed in true love and I thought it was you.” she laughed mockingly, biting the inside of her cheeks, preventing herself from breaking down. She will not cry, if anything, she’ll tell him everything but cry in front of him.

 

“I guess I was wrong, there’s no such thing as a happy ending and you are obviously not my true love.”

“What makes you say that? I’m sorry but…”

“Because true love doesn’t have an ending and clearly whatever we had real or not has definitely ended.”

Seohyun walks out a final time. “Does it feel this good to win a bet?” she jokes as she waved with the recorder in hand, goodbye.

 

 

And clearly, Kyuhyun thinks as he reached out for the bracelet he had slipped inside her bag once, I have no idea getting burnt from playing with fire hurts so much.!

 

END.


 

A/N: i think... its crappy and i didnt do justice with the prompt. i thought i did then i felt it made a turn. the heck. hope you guys enjoyed. kthnxbye~ :3