an imperfection for the narcissist

Playing with Fire

 

Kyuhyun could feel and hear a tiny crack split from his own subconscious world.

 

 

“Hi, I’m Kyuhyun. Seohyun, right?” he had said with a genteel smile.

The girl looked up at him, slightly apprehensive. Kyuhyun smiled still.

“I know it’s been a week but if there’s still some places you’re still not familiar with I could help.”

“Ummm,” she starts with a soft mumbled, “No, thanks. It’s okay.”

“Don’t worry I don’t bite,” Kyuhyun starts another suggestion.

Seohyun smiled and says meekly as she slips a lock of her dark hair under her ear, “Really, thanks but no thanks, I promised Sulli already that she’ll give me the full tour.”

 

 

Kyuhyun didn’t give up right then and there, he had tried every innocent excuse just to have time with her alone but with each repetition of that one word lengthened the crack inch by inch, messing up this utopia inside his mind, egoistically narcissistic, but no one could actually blame him or hold him accountable for it.

 

 No, because everyone revered Cho Kyuhyun since primary school; everyone praised and pampered him so much so that he believed that he was more or less omnipotent. And this girl, this Seo Joohyun, who is rather more popularly known as Seohyun, had easily waltz in the city, in his school and classroom to lightly and careless reject his not-so-malicious offer… Kyuhyun could only smile in pretense as his subconscious slowly conjures her well-deserve punishment, or so he thinks.

 

 

 

The boys of the class laughed and cheered at his failed attempt of befriending Seohyun. Kyuhyun, irritated as he already was, kept his cool and while leaning against the ledge he proposed, “Two months, and I can do more than just befriend her,” he said with a devious smirk and a mischievous arched eyebrow.

The boys went into a silent applaud.

“One month,” Jonghyun suggested, while holding up his index finger, “What’s a month for the Great Cho Kyuhyun?” Kyuhyun scoffs and shrugged his shoulders in nonchalant agreement.

“Fine,” he says confidently, “I’ll even give you guys photographic souvenir if you want?” and he knew he had them at ‘photographic’.

 

*~*~*

 

News had spread fast or at least at the male side of the population. A lot of the male students had wanted to have a go with the new sophomore student and though she looked gentle and likeable and approachable, but she’s somewhere in the borderline of too much ‘everything nice’ that some almost see her as an unreachable entity.

 

A few had grown a protective brother complex when they heard the news, some had grown green of envy but they could only watch and see what happens. There was an unknown mixture of wanting Kyuhyun to win this bet he made with his friends and have his lose it. A wonderful photographic treasure is on the line after all.

 

 

Kyuhyun wasted no time, though his pride has been wounded a few more times.

 

 

Day 1…

Seohyun was tasked to take the printouts from the faculty towards their next class as the officer of the day; apparently her co-officer was running late. Kyuhyun came up behind her offering a helping hand.

“Oh, no!” she said in embarrassed astonishment. “I couldn’t bother you with this, I can do it myself.”

But Kyuhyun was persistent and tried to reach out for some of the paper, but Seohyun stepped back. They had been in this situation for quite some time and Kyuhyun was losing his patience.

 

Seriously, why can’t this woman just accept a helping hand? Kyuhyun mentally curses as he continues to struggle with Seohyun and he almost won until a teacher called out for him. He had turned to see who it was and reluctantly went over, as he looked back, Seohyun had amazingly distanced from him a long way.

 

 

Day 3…

It was already late in the afternoon, as a member of the Dance club, Seohyun had stayed quiet late and even later to practice and polish the dance routine they were going to perform for an Inter-high Competition.

“Seohyun,” called out Sunny, a senior, from the front door.

Seohyun had just finished her nth practice for that day, she had allowed herself to fall on the floor, sitting Indian squat style. “Yes?” she said with honorifics, as she wipes off sweat trickling down her face with the front collar of her shirt, which was equally drenched if not more.

“Let’s go?” suggested Sunny.

“I’ll do one more round then I’ll leave, you can go ahead.” And Seohyun walks over to the mp3 speaker with the iPod mounted on it. Sunny heaved out a sigh as she arranges the duffle bag strap over her shoulder.

“Okay, but don’t overwork yourself. Go home right away after this, okay?”

“Yes,” Seohyun said.

“I mean it Seo Joohyun.”

Seohyun giggled as she poses, waiting for the right beat. “Yes, ma’am. I promise.”

 

 

When Seohyun finally finished, she went to the locker rooms to get her things and change. As she heads out she noticed a bottle of unopened, cold energy drink sitting on her shoe box beside her black shoes. She looked inside if there were any note whether slipped under her shoes, inside them or stuck on the corners or written on the bottle itself but there was none.

 

What to do? She thought as she carried it with her. She doesn’t want to drink it, she doesn’t know who gave it, for all she knows it could be expired. She was about to throw it away when she saw the caretaker of the courtyard flower garden doing aftercare. She skips to him and with a smile gave the drink.

“Are you sure?” the old man asked, though reluctant his eyes sparkled with gratitude. Seohyun bobbed her head up and down with a radiant smile and waved goodbye as she heads back to the school front gate.

 

 

What the ?! Kyuhyun swears, he had just come out from student council meeting when he saw Seohyun giving out the drink he clearly bought for her. “This girl, clearly doesn’t know how to accept help when given,” he mutters.

 

 

Day 8…

“Who did this?!” Sulli yelled as she slams a hand on the teacher’s desk, her ears turning red from anger, as she eyes everyone with killing intent.

“What’s wrong Sulli?” Seohyun, who had just arrived, asked.

“Seo,” Sulli said, the raging lioness instantly gone and became a meek kitten, looking apologetic. With how she acted and how her eyes darted towards the board Seohyun turned her attention on the board.

 

! ! Attention seeker!  And so many more insulting words were written in different handwriting, in different colored chalk all aiming at Seohyun.

 

Seohyun turned towards the class that had immediately become heavily silent. She smiled at them and at her best friend Sulli, “Don’t worry, Sulli. Let’s just erase them okay?” she said as she headed towards the board and reached out for an eraser.

“But –” Sulli began.

“We can’t fight fire with fire besides,” she tip toes to reach the topmost part, “The one who says, the one who is, right?” Seohyun said with a smile though Sulli and anyone else who saw it knew it was nothing near pure innocent and naivety. Anyone who saw that smile and heard that comment knew, this wasn’t going to be an easy win for Kyuhyun and if he does win, he’ll really be the Great Cho Kyuhyun.

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

It had been fifteen days since the beginning of the bet, and Kyuhyun hasn’t gone any further than being a bothersome suitor, if people would allow it or at least that’s how he looks like. He troubled himself with greeting Seohyun every chance he gets – in the morning, before class, at lunch and even at the end of the day. He had tried waiting for Seohyun to end dance practice in the hopes of walking home together but Seohyun was as stubborn in declining him as he was trying to have her favor.

 

The mental, physical and emotional tug-o-war between the two had caused quite a stir among the student body. Fifteen days had passed and from a haven, school had been a bit bumpy and similar to crossing the intersection for Seohyun and she knew it was because of Kyuhyun, ever since the emergence of the insults on the board; a few ‘accidents’ had happened around Seohyun but she barely would flinch nor react.  And no sooner, she has her own supporters as well, silently looking out for her, seeing to it that she won’t befall any unfortunate events as much as possible.

 

 

Day 20…

Kyuhyun knew his time was running out, he didn’t know if he was going to be amazed or go mad at Seohyun’s unwavering self-preservation. If this were any girl, he’d have her the minute he’d say ‘hi’. He’s in second base the second day and if wants it, he’d have a home run on the same day. He knew how girls were behaving towards Seohyun and he felt apologetic… somehow, along the way. But a bet is a bet.

 

 

“Seo’s already head home,” Sunny said as she swallows a generous amount of energy drink. Kyuhyun ignored the small senior and dance captain and continued looking around. “Hey! Did you hear me?” she yelled.

“I heard you but I don’t believe you,” Kyuhyun answered flatly. “That busybody going home early? She’s not a good liar is she?” Sunny couldn’t help but chuckle.

“Do whatever you want,” she scoffed as she went back to the other members, signaling that break time’s over. Kyuhyun looked slightly irritated and decided to leave after receiving a text.

 

 

*~*~*

 

Still Day 20…

“It’s been awhile, right?” a girl purred against Kyuhyun’s ear shell as she crawls on top of him, while Kyuhyun grazes his hand over her back. Kyuhyun chuckles before pulling her in for a wet, needy kiss.

“Sorry, I’ve been busy,” he whispers against her lips before giving it a .

“I know,” she pouts as she sits on top of him, straddling him between her legs, the slight movement made the bed creak against its springs. “Who does she think she is, making you follow her around like some puppy?”

Kyuhyun pulls her in closer, a hand over one C cup . “She just doesn’t know what she’s missing, right?”

“That’s right. That’s why we helped you a little, so this bet will be over soon and you can stop being her shadow, it looked so pitiful.”

“What are you talking about?” Kyuhyun asked casually, though deep inside, he felt something was off. The girl just smiled seductively at him as she pushed him against the white linens.

 

“All you need is a picture, right?”

 

 

*~*~*

 

“Seohyun, are you coming?” the other members asked. They were heading out for dinner when Seohyun stopped, realizing that she forgot something. “Ah, yes,” she said as she fumbles inside her bag. “I’ll catch up with you guys, I forgot something in school.” And she ran before the others could say their reply.

 

She was breathing heavily when she reached the classroom and directly headed towards her desk, bending over and feeling out for something – that thing that she left behind.

“Yes captain,” she said over the phone as she heads downstairs. “Leave me some samgyupsal,” she begged cutely before hanging up. She knew the school was eerie by sundown, it wouldn’t be a school if it wouldn’t have a haunted house feel to it as night nears, wouldn’t it? But it was a different sort of strange feeling, it was rather dangerous, Seohyun should know, she had stayed quiet a few times staying late because of practice and none have felt so terrifying as then.

 

 

She was slowly gaining pace, walking brisker and brisker as cold sweat covered heard body and dampened her hands, clutching tightly over the straps of her bag. She felt a bit of relief when she sees she only needs to go down one flight of stairs, that she had just to make that one turn when…

 

 

 

“Ouch!” a familiar voice yelped against her duffle bag.

“Do you bring gold with you or something?” It was Kyuhyun and he was rubbing his arm that he had reflexively held out in defense when he saw something about to collide to his delicate face. He had been breathing rather heavily too, Seohyun noted and somehow apprehensive.

“What are you doing here?” Seohyun asked.

“A ‘sorry I hit you’ would be nice,” Kyuhyun countered as he deftly scanned the hallway for anyone.

 

“All you need is picture, right?”

 

“I asked a few acquaintance to scare her a little.”

 

When Kyuhyun heard those words, he felt the blood drained his body, literally so, that his went limp. What’s wrong with intimidating her a little? She had asked rather angrily. There was nothing wrong but Kyuhyun knew their definition of ‘scaring’ and ‘intimidating’ was different from hers and though he had wanted that picture badly, he doesn’t want anything bad to happen towards Seohyun.

 

 

“Is anything wrong?” Seohyun asked, realizing that something was bothering Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun looked at her, “No, just came to pick you up.”

“I told you it’s –”

Kyuhyun holds up a hand, “It’s late, whether you like it or not, today you’re coming home with me.”

“I’m having a dinner with the members you know, go home by yourself.”

“Then I’ll walk you over there.” He grabs one of her wrist and dragged her along with him, not waiting for her consent.

 

Yes, Kyuhyun definitely don’t want anything happening to this girl, this girl who becomes cheeky and competitive in front of him, this girl who looked frightened that one moment when he also thought something terrible was about to happen to her.

“Ouch! No need to grip me that hard!” Seohyun complained.

“Sorry.”

“Is anything wrong?”

 

Kyuhyun curses at himself, he was about to lose himself with just the thought of Seohyun in trouble because of him, though he had worried over her a few times since his crazy fans started bullying her this was worse. Worse that he had bolted out of the clinic immediately and started searching for her.

“No, I just thought that your skin’s soft, so maybe they weren’t exaggerating with the goddess-like skin.”

And Kyuhyun kills himself mentally because he doesn’t know whose erratically beating pulse he was feeling – was it his or hers, feeling embarrassed over the only, probably truthful compliment he has given so far?