The Meeting

Enemies?

All donned in black jeans and covered shoes as instructed by the restaurant manager, Sulli took one last look at herself in the mirror, and began her journey for her first day of work.

Half an hour later...

"So sorry, we're not open yet!" Sulli was greeted by a young man, who looked not any older than herself.

"Oh, I... Err... I'm here for my first day of work..." Sulli whispered. She was never easy around strangers, and this time was no exception.

"Ah, I'm sorry, please come in!" the boy smiled. "You must be Sulli. I'm Min Hwan."

"Oh, hello. Yes, I'm Sulli..." Sulli couldn't look at Min Hwan straight in the eye at all.

"Ahahaha, relax a little! It must be your first job too right? Me too! I've just started working here for two weeks!" Min Hwan laughed. Upon hearing that, Sulli's heart slowed down a little.

So, I'm not the only newcomer here... She thought to herself. What a relief!

"Min Hwan, is the newcomer here already?" A voice came from the kitchen.

"Ah yes, Hong Ki! She's here!" Min Hwan replied.

"Hong Ki's our senior, he's been working here for two years already." Min Hwan explained. "He's really nice."

"Oh, hello. You must be Sulli?" a blonde-haired guy emerged from the kitchen.

"Uh... Hi..." Sulli stammered. The blonde-haired guy was so good looking, he looked like he walked out from a comic book... No, wait. That sounds so cliche. But it's true...

"I'm Hong Ki, nice to meet you." the blonde-haired guy reached out his right hand. AHHHH HE'S SHAKING MY HAND!? Sulli stared at Hong Ki's hand but she couldn't move at all. She didn't know why her body is not listening to her. Damn it, I should shake his hand! Come on hand, don't do this to me!

"Uhm, sorry. Is it because my hands are dirty?" Hong Ki put down his hand and started wiping it on his apron since Sulli was not returning his handshake.

"No, no! Sorry, please don't misunderstand..." Sulli quickly explained.

"Nah, no worries." Hong Ki smiled. "I have to go back to the kitchen now. I hope you'll enjoy working here! You can just ask Min Hwan anything if you're not sure, he's good."

Sulli kept quiet while Hong Ki returned to the kitchen. She was so embarassed by herself. Oh no... How am I gonna face him after today!?

"Erm, can I ask you something..." Sulli started.

"Yes?" Min Hwan replied while wiping the counter.

"Is it just the three of us here?"

"Well, you can say so..." Min Hwan said. "Our manager, he should be the one who interviewed you, he only comes down once in a while. Other than that, it's just three of us! There was this previous part-timer, Won Bin. But last Friday was his last day..."

"Oh... Is this place very crowded during peak hours?" Sulli began to worry. How am I going to cope when she had zero experience at all?

"Well, I wouldn't say this place is empty... But you'll manage." Min Hwan said. "For now, can you help me wipe all the tables?"

"Okay..." Sulli took the tablecloth that Min Hwan offered and started doing as she was told.

----Lunch time!!!----

"Sulli, for today, you'll just help us to wait the tables and refill their drinks okay? I'll be inside the kitchen." Hong Ki said. "Min Hwan, do guide her along."

"Okay." both Sulli and Min Hwan nodded at the same time.

"Let's open the doors." while saying, Hong Ki was already moving towards the entrance.

"You'll just have to stay at the entrance and bring them in. The glasses are over here, jug over here... Oh, and you'll have to come over here to get refills." Min Hwan explained.

"Okay." Sulli acknowledged timidly. Oh no, I'm so nervous. What if I screw up? I don't want to create any trouble for them!

"Hi, table for two?" Min Hwan greeted the customers, and turned to Sulli with a smile. "I'll demonstrate this once."

"This way please!" He guided the customers to an empty table. "The menu is over here, do let us know when you're ready to order."

"Don't be nervous, you'll get the hang of it." Min Hwan assured Sulli. "You can just continue bringing other customers in while they're deciding. They'll signal to us once they're ready to order. Here's the notepad. Just write down whatever they say and pass the paper to Hong Ki over the counter. He'll do the rest. Now, why don't you pour water for them?"

And so, throughout the whole day, Sulli waited the tables, Min Hwan served the dishes to them (and also cleared the tables), while Hong Ki remained in the kitchen...

----CLOSING----

Finally, the day ended. Sulli was so tired she sat down heavily. Throughout the whole day, Sulli made many mistakes. She took down the wrong orders, gave the wrong change, spilled drinks on the floor, and even broke a plate. She didn't feel alright. She felt that she was a burden to the two guys. Sigh, I've created so much trouble for them... Maybe I'm not cut out for the job...

"Don't feel bad alright?" Min Hwan sat down next to Sulli, whose unhappiness was written all over her face. "I've been so much worst... But I'm coping well now, you will too."

"I'm really sorry... I'm such a klutz." Sulli didn't feel a bit better at all.

"No, you did well for your first day already." Min Hwan shook his head. "You must be tired. I'll explain the closing part to you, you just listen while I do it, alright?"

"No, I want to help!" Sulli immediately stood up. She was sure Min Hwan was tired too.

"Alright, alright. I'll see what you can help me with!" Min Hwan laughed. "You sure are energetic eh?"

With Min Hwan's thoughtful instructions, Sulli and Min Hwan cleared up the mess in no time. While cleaning, Sulli couldn't help but to think of Hong Ki. How is he managing in the kitchen alone? It must be so tough...

"Hey, how old are you?" Min Hwan asked. "I'm curious."

"Me? I'm sixteen..." Sulli answered. She was getting used to talking to Min Hwan. He seemed like a very nice person. "How about you?"

"Oh, we're of the same age!" Min Hwan exclaimed. "When is your birthday?!"

"8th November... You?"

"Oh wow, I'm born on 11th November! We're only three days apart?!" Both Min Hwan and Sulli was shocked at the coincidence.

"I've never had a friend whose birthday was so close to mine..." Sulli said. She felt kind of happy actually. She always thought that knowing people with birthdays close to hers was a kind of fate.

"Me neither." Min Hwan agreed.

"Oh, is Hong Ki okay? Should we help him?" Sulli finally asked.

"Nah, he left already! He does work real quickly." Min Hwan shrugged his shoulders as though it normal. "We should go off too, it's getting pretty late."

"Oh, right." Sulli nodded and started packing up. He left without saying goodbye? Sigh.

The day ended with Sulli and Min Hwan parting their ways at the bus stop. My colleagues are alright, I guess. I hope tomorrow will be better. Sulli thought to herself.