Exchange of Emails

50 Shades of Soohyun

The one good thing about being car-less is that on the bus on my way to work, I can plug my headphones into my iPod while it’s safely in my bag and listen to all the wonderful tunes Soohyun has given me. By the time I arrive at the office, I have the most ludicrous grin on my face.

 

Jaeseop glances up at me and does a double take.

 

“Good morning, Hoon. You look . . . radiant.” His remark flusters me. How inappropriate!

 

“I slept well, thank you, Jaeseop. Good morning.”

 

His brow crinkles.

 

“Can you read these for me and have reports on them by lunchtime, please?” He hands me four manuscripts. At my horrified expression, he adds, “Just first chapters.”

 

“Sure,” I smile with relief, and he gives me a broad smile in return.

 

I switch on the computer to start work, finishing my latte and eating a banana. There’s an e-mail from Soohyun.

 

From: Shin Soohyun

Subject: So Help Me . . .

Date: June 10, 2012 08:05

To: Yeo Hoonmin

I do hope you’ve had breakfast.

I missed you last night.

 

 

From: Yeo Hoonmin

Subject: Old books . . .

Date: June 10, 2012 08:33

To: Shin Soohyun

I am eating a banana as I type. I have not had breakfast for several days, so it is a step forward. I love the cookbook App—I started reading some of the recipes . . . and of course, I love you.

Now leave me alone—I am trying to work.

 

From: Shin Soohyun

Subject: Is that all you’ve eaten?

Date: June 10, 2012 08:36

To: Yeo Hoonmin

You can do better than that. You’re going to need your energy for later.

 

From: Yeo Hoonmin

Subject: Pest

Date: June 10, 2012 08:39

To: Shin Soohyun

Mr. Shin—I am trying to work for a living—and it’s you that will be needing reserved energy later.

 

From: Shin Soohyun

Subject: Bring it On!

Date: June 10, 2012 08:36

To: Yeo Hoonmin

Why Mr. Yeo, I love a challenge . . .

 

I sit grinning at the screen like an idiot. But I need to read these chapters for Jaeseop and write reports on all of them. Placing the manuscripts on my desk, I begin. At lunchtime I head to the deli for a pastrami sandwich and listen to the playlist on my iPod. First up there’s Ne-Yo, some world music called “Homelands”—it’s good. Mr. Shin has an eclectic taste in music. I wander back, listening to a classical piece, Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis by Vaughn Williams. Oh, Fifty has a sense of humor, and I love him for it. Will this stupid grin ever leave my face? The afternoon drags. I decide, in an unguarded moment, to e-mail Soohyun.

 

From: Yeo Hoonmin

Subject: Bored . . .

Date: June 10, 2012 16:05

To: Shin Soohyun

Twiddling my thumbs.

How are you?

What are you doing?

 

From: Shin Soohyun

Subject: Your thumbs

Date: June 10, 2012 16:15

To: Yeo Hoonmin

You should have come to work for me.

You wouldn’t be twiddling your thumbs.

I am sure I could put them to better use.

In fact I can think of a number of options . . .

I am doing the usual humdrum mergers and acquisitions.

It’s all very dry.

Your e-mails at work are being monitored.

 

Oh . I had no idea. How the hell does he know? I scowl at the screen and quickly check the e-mails we’ve scowl at the screen and quickly check the e-mails we’ve sent, deleting them as I do. Promptly at five thirty, Jaeseop is at my desk. It is Casual Friday so he’s wearing jeans and a black shirt. He looks very casual.

 

“Drink, Hoon? We usually like to go for a quick one at the bar across the street.”

 

“We?” I ask, hopeful.

 

“Yeah, most of us go . . . you coming?”

 

For some unknown reason, which I don’t want to examine too closely, relief floods through me.

 

“I’d love to. What’s the bar called?”

 

“50s.”

 

“You’re kidding.”

 

He looks at me oddly. “No. Some significance for you?”

 

“No, sorry. I’ll join you over there.”

 

“What would you like to drink?”

 

“A beer please.”

 

“Cool.”