I bet you think this song is about you

Fifteen Minutes in Heaven
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Normally I wasn't a person who put much thought into how I looked and I didn't consider myself vain in any way either. Maybe that was just because I didn't have anyone I wanted to impress until now, I thought to myself when I got out of bed earlier than I usually would have in order to primp myself so I would look good for Daehyun. It made me feel a little silly, spending so much time on my appearance, but I just really wanted him to like me.

It wasn't until my mother called from downstairs telling me that I was going to be late if I didn't hurry up that it hit me how much time I had actually spent getting ready. I got finished quickly and then rushed downstairs and into the kitchen, plopping down in my usual seat by the dining table where I began to eat the food my mother had set out for me, cereal with milk. My mother joined me by the table not long after, settling down in one of the other chairs with her usual cup of coffee.

Things were quiet for a while as I focused on eating. It was my mother who eventually broke the silence: "You look good today." I raised my gaze from my crackling cereal to look at her. She was resting her chin in one of her palms as she studied me. "And you look really happy too."

Not until then did I feel the pull in the corners of my mouth that told me I was smiling widely. I lowered my gaze again, cheeks coloring a bit. "I guess," I mumbled, but that was the only type of response I offered. We didn't really talk about things like this a lot.

She nudged me with her elbow. "Is there a girl?" she pried when there had been a few moments of silence and she realized that I wasn't going to say anything else. I shook my head. "A boy?" When I hesitated she let out a short chuckle. "So there is? What's his name? Is he handsome? I bet he's handsome."

"Y-you don't mind?" We had never spoken of this before so I didn't know how my mother felt about my ual preferences.

"As long as you're happy and the person treats you right I don't care who you're with," she said with a shrug.

I bit my lip to keep from smiling too widely. "Thanks, mom." I nearly panicked when she reached over the table to ruffle my hair - I hadn't spent twenty minutes that morning to fix it just to have her ruining it like this - but she seemed to notice the frantic expression on my face at the last moment, because she quickly pulled her hand back. Instead she patted me on the forearm.

"Tell me about him," she said. I knew her well enough to know that that was more of a demand than a request.

I let out a sigh, thinking of what I was going to say. "His name is Daehyun and he's really, really attractive, he gorgeous and he's funny and I don't even know him that well but he makes my heart beat so fast whenever I see him and I don't know what to do." I blushed when I realized that I had been rambling and even more so when I realized that I sounded like a schoolgirl in love. I had to resist the urge to hide my face in my hands out of embarrassment.

My mother merely smiled. "It sounds like you like him a lot."

I stirred the milk that was left in the bowl, letting a smile graze my features as well. "I think I do."

I finished eating breakfast quickly and after giving my mother a quick peck on the cheek - she always demanded that I did that so I chose to humor her - I was on my way to school. Fortunately the weather was better than it had been the day before so I didn't have to bring our ugly umbrella with me. That was kind of a relief.

Before long I had reached the school and I quickly made my way inside. I was receiving an unusual amount of attention as I walked down the hall this day. I quickly figured out from the sporadic bits of conversation I managed to catch here and there that it was because a bunch of people had seen me leaving school with Daehyun the day before and the word had spread that I was socializing with his crowd now. To be honest all of it made me feel a little uncomfortable. I was fine with being mostly invisible.

Not surprisingly people were also staring when I entered the room I was going to be in for the first class of the day. I found my way to my seat without looking at anyone there. I could still feel everyone's eyes on me, but I did my best to ignore them. I didn't even raise my gaze when I heard someone pull out the chair next to mine, metal legs scraping against the floor, and subsequently plop down on it. Not until he spoke, anyway. "Hi," he said and I froze because I recognized that voice. I'm sure I would recognize it just about anywhere.

Slowly I turned my head to look at Daehyun. His eyes were twinkling back at me, bright crescents lighting up his flawless face. I turned my head forward again, gulping down air. My palms were sweaty and I rubbed them self-consciously against the thighs of my jeans. "I didn't know you were in this class," I mumbled. I didn't usually see him there.

"I don't come here very often," was the only explanation he gave me. Even if I had actually been capable of asking him any more questions I didn't get the chance to because the teacher entered the classroom in the next moment and the bell rang. I pulled out my textbook as well as a pen and a block so I could take notes the way I usually did.

It didn't take long for me to find out that Daehyun was very, very distracting. It was weird because he wasn't actually doing anything other than just sitting there and he was even taking notes - for a change, I assumed - but I could feel his presence and apparently that was enough for me to forget all about English and subconsciously lean closer to him. Then I realized how stupid and pathetic I was being and quickly sat upright. My face heated up when I saw Daehyun smirking out of the corner of my eye.

After that I tried very, very hard to focus on the teacher at the front of the class. I was pretty sure only a few minutes had gone by, however, when a piece of paper appeared on the mostly blank page in front of me. I froze, staring down at what turned out to be a note. You look really cute today. I was sure my skin was going to spontaneously combust at any moment with how hot it felt at th

Please log in to read the full chapter