The Young and the Restless

No One Puts Baby In A Corner

Warning: Language only.

O.o o.O

The K suite was quiet and still, the morning sun filtering in through the open windows and Kyungsoo stirring a bubbling pot of soup at the stove. An early morning hush set everything in soft hues, and even the boys that were awake were unnaturally still, Jongin watching Kyungsoo unblinkingly from a seat at the table and Chanyeol sipping a mug of tea, other arm curled around a sleeping Baekhyun cradled in his lap.

Tao realised he was staring when Jongdae leaned in and muttered, “Yeah, I’m surprised, too. Thought they’d be up and screaming by now.”

“Hyung, are they...?”

Jongdae’s smile was enigmatic. “Are they what?”

“Um.”


“Hmmm?” Jongdae’s wondering tone must have scaled a full eight octaves, and Tao distinctly felt as if he was being made fun of, he just wasn’t sure how.

“Never mind,” he said hastily, turning to his own cup of tea that Kyungsoo set down in front of him with a smile. “Thanks, Kyungsoo-hyung.”

Jongin’s eyes narrowed at Tao. “I don’t have any tea,” he grumbled.

“You don’t drink tea,” Kyungsoo said smartly, turning back to his soup and scooping out more miso paste to stir in.

“I could have wanted tea.”

“You could have gotten some yourself. Pot’s right over there.”

Jongin glared at Tao’s cup. “You got the M people tea.”

“They’re guests. Get your own.”

“I don’t want any.”

“Exactly,” Kyungsoo said, pulling out a stack of bowls from the cupboard. “Now go make sure Luhan hasn’t traumatised Sehun into therapy and wake up Suho.”

Jongin glared harder. “And you treat me like your slave, too.”

Kyungsoo spun around, expression deadpan. “Well you could do it or I could do it while breakfast burns. And maybe tomorrow I’ll do that instead of making breakfast.”

“I’M ON IT,” Jongin yelped, launching himself out of his chair and sliding across the wooden floor in fuzzy socks.

O.o o.O

Tao felt utterly exhausted before breakfast was even over. It certainly didn’t match up to last night’s dinner, but the non-stop chattering from Baekhyun, the hysterical laughter of Chanyeol, Suho trying to talk over all of them while Jongin complained loudly to Kyungsoo and demanded special attention, had worn on Tao’s delicate morning sensibilities just a little bit.

He felt dizzy when someone announced they were going to watch Kris’ basketball practice, and he found himself under Chanyeol’s arm, Baekhyun on his other side, both talking a mile a minute, being duckwalked through the campus that he hadn’t had a chance to explore yet.

“Here it is!” Baekhyun announced, Chanyeol already starting to cheer for their team.

Tao just blinked, and allowed himself to be pulled over and up into the bleachers.

“KRIS!” Chanyeol shouted, standing up from his seat and waving both arms. “KRIS!!! GO KRIS!”

“Oh my god, Chanyeol, shut the up, you’re disturbing their practice,” Baekhyun said, probably just as loudly if the ringing in Tao’s ear had any say. He kicked over Tao’s legs at Chanyeol’s shins, and Chanyeol turned to kick him back, both of them hitting Tao no matter how he tried to shrink into his seat.

You’re disturbing their practice,” Chanyeol said.

“Your face is disturbing.”

Your face.”

Both your faces,” interjected Jongin from behind them.

“Yah, Chanyeol, do you hear something? I just see a shadow over there,” Baekhyun said, eyes widening prettily.

Chanyeol shook his head, curls flying wildly. “I don’t hear anything, Baekhyun.”

“I’m not that dark, okay! I have y tanned skin!”

“Of course you do,” Kyungsoo said soothingly, as Chanyeol and Baekhyun shared a look and burst out laughing.

“I think kkamjong is under the impression that he’s y,” Baekhyun wheezed. “Poor child.”

“Our school has free psychiatric services for students.”

“We should make him an appointment.”

“Gramps has the number on speed dial.”

“I’m not that old!” Suho shrieked, voice cracking.

“He needs it.”

“Poor gramps.”

“Mental breakdown -”

“- in old age.”

“How sad.”

“Indeed.”

There was a pause before Chanyeol and Baekhyun laughed so hard that even the basketball players on the court glanced over to see what the fuss was all about.

Tao really just wanted to go back to bed.

O.o o.O

Kris was an impressive figure to begin with, but on the court and in his element, he shone, putting stars in Tao’s eyes as he watched the practice game after the team drills.

“He’s good, isn’t he,” Yixing said, sitting on his right now that Baekhyun and Chanyeol wandered off to sit court side.

Tao nodded vigorously.

“They have a lot of fans. Kris, especially.”

Tao followed Yixing’s nod towards the cluster of girls next to the court. “They’re a really good team,” he said, eyes back on the game.

“And Kris is really good looking.”

“Yes,” Tao said absently, before catching himself and stiffening in his seat, looking at Yixing with wide eyes. “I - well, he is.”

Yixing’s smile was lopsided as he reached up to ruffle Tao’s hair. “I know, I just said so.”

The whistle blew to signal the end of the game, and Tao watched quietly as Kris walked off the court and gently refused the girls that had gone up to him with presents and towels and drinks.

“Kris-ge is a really nice person,” Tao said quietly, cheeks flushed with heat.

Yixing smiled inscrutably as he observed Tao from the corners of his eyes. “Yes,” he hummed. “Nice person.”

O.o o.O