Winter - Spring

A Glimpse Into Tomorrow

 

He sits down on one of the empty chairs in the cafe; the cafe that they used to frequent. He stares at the rush of people grabbing a cup of coffee, groaning at the queue, and zipping off to work as soon as their caffeine is in their impatient hands.

"Spring's the season of blooming, the season of colours, and the season of hope." He scoffs at himself and glares at the empty seat in front of him, where she used to be, smiling beautifully and savouring her usual, favourite caramel macchiato and he finds himself missing her so much that her heart aches.

Spring's the season of blooming, the season of colours, and the season of hope.

Kai laughs bitterly.

Lies.

 

It's a rainy day.

It reminds him of her, again. She loves the rain; the way the raindrops pour down her head, down on her shoulders to her feet. It's amazing to feel it, that's what she said. He joined her and get soaked in the rain, though he's never convinced. He didn't mind being drenched at all. Because when she smiles, he smiles too. 

He glances at the door once in a while, but is always disappointed when the door opens and the person entering isn't the one he has been waiting for.

As he watches the door close slowly, he sees a woman swirling in circles under the gloomy, dark sky. He gets his hope high up. 

But the world stops spinning; the world is in only black and white.

And he knows.

He knows she isn't coming.

 

He tells himself he will be perfectly fine without her in his life. 

The frown on his face deepens, with his brows tightly knitted together when he sees a black board written clearly with the words 'Cafe For Sale'. He doesn't like that idea very much. Perhaps, because this is the place that contains their memories together. Or perhaps, he hates how even God is taking away these memories from him.

Kai figures that maybe it's really time to forget her now. He's moving on without her.

But sometimes, he doesn't even believe in his own words anymore. 

 

His eyelids threaten to shut right then and there, wavering slightly closed, and his mind goes blank for a second before he jolts back into his chair, with his back awkwardly straight and neck snapped back into place. 

The rain has already stopped and the dark, gloomy clouds are no longer there. It seems warm around him as he sips on his half-filled cup of dark coffee. It's terribly bitter, but he doesn't taste it because it feels exactly like what he's feeling now. 

He watches the clouds pass by and chuckles softly when he remembers how they used to dream of 'chasing after the clouds' together back then.

Why not the rainbow, he ponders and then scoffs at himself. Perhaps, it's too late to think about that now. 

The bell at the door chimes; a new customer has arrived. He takes notice of her long, beautiful hair and the flawless, porcelain-like complexion that stands out from the rest of the crowd in the cafe. He stands up, smoothing the ceases on his clothes before striding towards the pretty woman, who is dressed in a low-profile yet sophisticated, black dress, matched with an ivory blazer, before giving her a little smile. 

"Sorry for making you wait," she speaks first, "How have you been, Kai?" 

 

The warmness of spring may have arrived but his heart is still in the cold winter.