Savior Turned Companion

Abandoned

His head was killing him and the darkness that surrounded him seemed to be pressing down on him from every angle. He tried to open his eyes but they stayed shut as he felt himself sinking further down into the darkness. Am I being swallowed? When that thought came to his mind he started to struggle, his limbs flailing about as he tried to find a warm ray of light in the cool darkness.

Something touched his shoulder and his eyes flew open. The first thing his mind registered was a dull pain that ran through his whole body. The second thing his mind registered was the dark sky with little lights scattered within the black. The last thing that his mind registered was that he was on something hard. He slowly sat up and heard a crinkling sound, but he ignored it as he looked around.

Where ever he was it was slightly narrow and foul smelling. He looked to the left and then the right. He couldn't tell exactly what it was but he could see lumpy and rectangular shaped shadows lining the walls. Only one side had an opening so he moved to stand. The crinkling sound reached his ears once more.

He stood and looked to the ground to see something white and crumbled just sitting there. It wasn't near any of the shadows pushed up against the walls, so he bent over and picked it up. He turned the paper ball over in his hands with a slight frown before opening it. The first thing he noticed was dark writing but he couldn't make out the words in the bad lighting, so he moved towards the mouth of the alleyway.

He blinked a few times as he registered the drastic change of scenery. He was suddenly surrounded by bright lights and the smells that invaded his senses were no longer foul. The paper was temporarily forgotten as a delicious smell caught his attention. He didn't even realize his feet were moving until he found himself in front of a small food cart with a old lady standing beind it. He watched as she messed with something on the counter, he didn't notice the woman turning her eyes towards him.

"Why are you out by yourself at such a late time little boy?" He stared at her with wide eyes before looking at the food and back up at her, she smiled at him. "Are you hungry?" He opened his mouth to answer her question, he wanted to tell her no but the growl that sounded from his stomach answered for him. His free hand quickly covered his stomach and the lady let out a small laugh. "Do you want some?" He nodded and she started to scoop him a small amount into a little white bowl. "Where are your parents?"

Parents...? Where he woke up he was all alone in a dark and dirty place, he knew nothing about parents. "I don't know." At his answer she paused and turned to look at hi

"You don't know?" He nodded. "Then where'd you come from sweetie?" He turned around and pointed towards the mouth of the alleyway, when he turned to look at her she was giving him a small smile. She scooped a little more into the bowl before handing it over to him. "Okay, just this once it'll be free but it'll be a secret between us, okay?" He nodded before settling down on the floor with the bowl just in front of him, it was too hot so he was waiting for it to cool.

He turned his attention towards the paper in his hands and used the glow from the street light to read it. I'm sorry. Those were the first words that were written neatly on the crumpled paper. I know you don't remember me but I promise I'll always remember and love you forever. You may not know who I am but please remember that you're Cha Sun Woo and that you were born on Septemember fifth, I just need you to always remember who you are and for you to stay safe. Please wait for me, I'll come find you when everything's safe. Please remember that I'll always love you my little Baro. He looked at the paper in confusion and then up at the lady beind the little food cart, she was turned away from him. He looked down at the paper once more before slowly standing up and sneaking away, leaving his still steaming food behind.

He wasn't even sure why he ran, it was just a feeling he had. After running from the food cart Sun Woo found a dumpster and started searching for food. Half of his body was inside the dumpster while the other half hung out. A giant smile spread across his face as he came across something that was decent enough for him to eat but when he reached for it something grabbed him and pulled him out. He hit the floor hard and it took him a couple of minutes to realize someone else was with him. He quickly looked up to see a group of older kids blocking the dumpster.

"I don't know who you are kid but this is our alley, you just can't search for food here. Get lost." Sun Woo quickly apologized before scrambling up off the ground and fleeing the alleyway.

It went on like that for a while but he kept the note he found with him when he woke up in his pocket so he can have some kind of encouragement while he was all alone. He dug through the trash to find things that he could learn and worked out so he could protect himself.

After two years he started to become curious about whoever abandoned him yet still wrote that he was loved. From what I've learned these pass two years is that abandoned children aren't wanted. He looked at the note in his hand as he sat near a convenience store. Whoever wrote this obviously didn't hate me. I can tell by the feeling written into this letter, but if that's true then why was I abandoned and why can't I remember anything about my life before it?

"Yah! Get away from my store you're scaring away my customers!" Sun Woo looked up to see the manager of the convenience store poking his head out the door. He signed as he folded up the note and placed it in his pocket before standing up and walking away.

He started searching anyway he could for some kind of clue but with his limited resources he couldn't find anything new within the span of another two years. He was on his way to try to find some information when he heard a weird sound from an alleyway. He walked into the alley to see a group of kids around his age surrounding something. "Yah! What are you doing?"

"Mind your own business." Sun Woo clicked his tongue as he turned around to leave but stopped once a faint sound reached his ears, it sounded like someone asking for help. He turned around and pushed through the kids to find a boy balled up on the ground. Sun Woo rounded on the boys and pushed one of them back with all of his strength. The boy stumbled back and fell flat on his back.

"What do you think you're doing?! If you keep hitting him he can die."

"This has nothing to do with you little guy." The corner of Sun Woo's lip twitched in annoyance, he hated being called out due to his size. "This boy was on our territory and when we told him to leave he didn't listen so we had to teach him a little lesson. Now move, we're not done with him." Sun Woo stood his ground. "Move shorty or you'll be joining him on the ground."

"I'd love to see you try." Sun Woo smirked as he spoke, "Since you judging me by my size I wanna see you take me down." The boy who pushed himself off The ground came forward first, throwing a punch that Sun Woo easily dodged. He retaliated by punching the boy hard in the stomach, making him crumple to the ground in an instant. "Who's next?" He watched as the other four boys debated between each other before running away with their tails between their legs. He scoffed, "Cowards." He turned his attention back to the boy on the ground and knelt down next to him. "Hey, are you okay?"

"It hurts." The voice that answered him was small and the level of pain that the other boy was feeling could be heard in his voice. I guess my search can wait another day...it's not like I've found anything recently anyways. He examined the cuts and bruises before he realized the other boy's clothing. No kind of street kid would ever wear this kind of stuff.

His eyes looked over his expensive clothing and the expensive shoes he wore on his feet. He can't have been on the street long and with all these expensive things he must've been living a comfy life up till now...so what's he doing out here? The boy let out a grunt of pain and Sun Woo turned his eyes back to the boy's face. I guess I can't just leave him here.

"Up you go." Sun Woo carefully helped the boy of the ground and placed is arm around his neck so he could support the boy as they walked. "Try not to pass out on me, where I stay isn't to far from here." Sun Woo felt the other boy's nod and they started their unstable walk towards the abandoned building that Sun Woo used as a home.

Sun Woo propped him up against the wall before he gathered all the comfy things he could find scattered around the room and made a little bed for his injured guest. Once he was satisfied with his work he moved back over to the other boy's side and helped move him so he was more comfortable. Once he was sure other boy was fine where he was. He got up and started gathering burnable garbage so he could start a fire.

He started the fire close enough to the other boy so he could feel the heat but far enough away so he didn't accidentally catch himself on fire. Once the fire was set up he moved over to a trunk where he stored food; he stored food for emergencies only. I guess this would qualify as an emergency. He pulled out enough food for two people before he looked back at the boy who was resting peacefully. Since I can't really go out and look for food at the moment.

"Mmn." Sun Woo turned away from his food to see his guest trying sit up. He frowned as he removed the food from over the fire and turned his body completely to face the other.

"Don't force yourself, I'm still not 100 percent sure on the extent of your injuries." The boy widened his eyes in shock as he looked at Sun Woo.

"Who are you?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking that question?" Sun Woo looked the boy up and down once more. "With all these expensive clothes you were apparently out in the alley playing homeless but you were looking in an already claimed area...I basically saved your life, shouldn't you be grateful."

"I wasn't playing!" The boy seemed to be offended by Sun Woo's words. "My parents suddenly disappeared, I've been on my own for the pass week while searching for them. Up until now I had money so I've been surviving on convenience store food but I'm always still hungry."

I've gone and picked up a kid with a blackhole for a stomach.

"Whatever your story is doesn't really matter, we don't have unlimited resources here so we eat as little as we can to survive. If you want to survive out here just remember that, there can be no greed. You'll just die faster that way." The boy just stared at him before Sun Woo turned his attention back towards the food, "I'll just give you this and then when your in a better condition then I expect you to be on your way."

"Wait...you want me to leave?"

"I'm not making you leave right this second." Sun Woo handed the boy some food, "I'm just telling you that you should leave once you feel better."

"Didn't you say you saved my life?"

"I said basically..."

"If you went through the trouble to save me wouldn't it make more sense if I just stayed by your side?" Sun Woo looked at the other boy like he was crazy.

"Out here you need to learn how to survive on your own. In my four years living out on the street I learned that you shouldn't trust anyone."

"Isn't that kind of lonely?" Sun Woo just stared at him. "Okay, how about this.. I'll stay with you until I learn the ways of survival and once I do I'll be on my way." Sun Woo took a couple of bites of his food while he thought about it.

"That seems fair, but only until you can survive on you own. No longer, deal?"

"Deal." The boy gave him a bright smile that didn't match with the dirt and bruises on his face. "I'm Lee Jung Hwan."

"Cha Sun Woo." Jung Hwan extended his hand and Sun Woo accepted it, they sealed the deal with a handshake.