Chapter 2

Highway Of Tears

The building looked pretty old, Sooyoung thought it might have been built during World War I but she couldn't be sure. She walked towards the door after taking a quick look around. But it was locked.

 


 

 

"Is he an idiot or something? Why would he lead me here if I can't get in?" Sooyoung thought frustrated.

 

There was always a small chance he wasn't inside the building but hiding somewhere in the forest. But then why hadn't he attacked her yet?

 

Sooyoung realised she had no other choice but to inspect the windows of the first floor since they didn't have any bars unlike the ones on the ground floor. It was very high but she was sure she would find some way to climb.

 

She took a few steps back and took a good look at the windows. There, on the far left, a window was half broken. She could probably get in from there; she would break the glass more if she had to. She noticed the ivy growing on the walls reached pretty close to that window, now if only it was strong enough to hold her weight.

 

Instead of over-thinking, Sooyoung decided to act right away. She grabbed the ivy and lifted herself up stepping on the small holes that had been made on the stone walls with time.

 

Her shoulder, the one the bullet had gazed, sent waves of pain through her body. She gritted her teeth and climbed higher. She was surprised the ivy hadn't collapsed under her weight yet. It must have been growing on that wall for so many years that it had become almost like a part of it.

 

Ignoring the stinging pain becoming stronger with every second, Sooyoung stretched her hand as much as she could, trying to reach for the window. Her fingers were only centimeters away.

 

She gritted her teeth and tried to climb higher. She heard a hissing sound and suddenly the ivy collapsed, dropping her on the ground. Sooyoung instinctively tried to use her hand to break the fall. But once her hand hit the floor she felt pain shoot through her body. She clutched her left hand close to her chest feeling it trembling. She gritted her teeth trying not to groan.

 

She could feel her wrist slowly swelling. For a few minutes she lied there curled in a ball taking deep breaths.

 

She knew the pain was only going to get worse and that maniac was probably watching her from somewhere, enjoying her pain. Still keeping her left hand close to her chest she stood up slowly. She checked the time on her cellphone. She still had a good 37 minutes alone in the forest, assuming the rescue team would begin the research right away. But they didn't know she was here so probably at least another 10 minutes.

 

" this," she muttered, "I'll just wait for them somewhere in the forest." But her professional side got the best of her. Ugh, I can't just leave; what if he gets away?

 

She cursed under her breath and shook her head to get her hair out of her face. She braced herself and took one last deep breath before yelling as loud as she could and as desperately as she could fake. "Hello, is anybody there?" She waited for a couple of seconds but there was no answer. "I think I'm lost. Can anybody hear me?"

 

Stupid, stupid. As if he would actually answer you, she thought.

 

She heard light footsteps behind her but she wasn't quick enough. The unknown man attacked her from behind and covered with a rag. Her first instinct was to gasp. When she did, the distinct scent of chloroform filled her nose.

 

Thankfully she was well trained for such situations. The chemical made her a little dizzy but she was still awake. She held her breath and pretended to pass out. After pressing the rag on her face for a few more seconds the man slowly removed it. He grabbed her from the armpits and dragged her to the direction that Sooyoung believed the door of the factory was.

 

The man let her body drop on the ground and turned to the door. Sooyoung heard him searching his pockets for the keys. She opened her right eye slightly to look at him. He had his back turned to her and was unlocking the door. Big mistake .

 

Ignoring the pain, she shot up and fell on top of him with all her weight. Both of them fell back down. The other was surprised, giving Sooyoung the chance to roll a few meters away and get her gun out. 

 

The man looked at her surprised and then slowly tried to get up, his hands raised above his head.

 

Sooyoung got up as well, the gun still pointing straight to his head. "Stay back or I'll shoot," she commanded.

 

The man nodded his head. "Miss, I believe it's illegal to be pointing a gun at an innocent citizen," he said, his face an impenetrable mask of calmness.

 

"Yeah well you attacked me first," Sooyoung said through her teeth.

 

The man shrugged his shoulders and looked back at her with audacity. "You trespassed in my property. I had to do something to protect myself, didn't I?"

 

"Is this what you are going to say to the judge?" Sooyoung asked. "I found the bodies, there is no way to lie your way out of this"

 

"Let's see you trying to prove that I killed those women," the man answered, his eyes darkening for a moment and then he started acting all innocent again. "Bodies? What bodies?" he asked acting puzzled. "I assure you I had never seen any of them and I had no idea they were in the forest, after all I only come here once a year to make sure this place hasn’t collapsed."

 

Sooyoung felt her blood boil. That guy was so annoying and sick and his nerve just pissed her off.

 

The man took a few steps back in the huge room behind him.

 

"I said don't move," Sooyoung repeated. "Come out here where I can see you."

 

She saw the man smiling and then he jumped to his left. Sooyoung fired her gun but without her left hand to keep the gun steady she missed. The man pressed the switch on the wall next to him and suddenly all the lights were turned off.

 

Sooyoung was left in the darkness. She could hear his steps becoming more distant as time went by. He was walking further in the factory but he was not in a hurry. What the is he planning now?

 

The sound of a door opening and then closing was heard and then Sooyoung was engulfed by silence. She quickly analyzed her situation. There is no way he escaped, I checked every inch of this place from the outside and there is no other exit. The doors for the trucks were sealed and all the windows on the ground floor have bars.

 

Still holding it firmly in her hand, she lowered her hand and took a few hesitant steps forward. I can chase him but that's probably his plan.

 

The best she could do was to stand there guarding the door until backup arrived but the images of the bodies hidden in the trees were still hunting her.

 

Sooyoung was a professional, she knew what she was supposed to do but after everything that had happened to her she wasn’t thinking straight. The only thing in her mind was to capture that man at any cost and punish him. She lowered her gun and walked further inside the building.

 

She stayed close to the wall as she circled the room looking for the door the man had used to escape. Her steps were slow but not hesitant. She kept her senses alert as she finally found a doorknob. She turned it and let the door slowly open on its own as she raised her gun again in case the man attacked her.

 

Silence.

 

She went through the door and found herself in a dark corridor. Her steps were the only sound she could hear as she cautiously walked towards another door, open just a little bit, enough to let a streak of light through.

 

Sooyoung stood outside the door and listened carefully. The only thing she could hear was a clock ticking lazily, reminding her that time was important.

 

She pushed the door with her right leg and entered the room. It looked like a cafeteria, with long tables from one side of the room to the other. The room was illuminated by old lamps hanging from the ceiling, shedding their cold light to every corner of the room. Apart from the door she had just used there were three more, the same size, as well as a larger one that was probably the main door of the cafeteria.

 

Sooyoung couldn't know which door he had used; she couldn't even be sure if he had come through here. Having no other choice, she picked one randomly and approached it cautiously, gun still firmly in her hand. She turned towards the door closer to her and tried to open it but it was locked. She was surprised, to say the least, that the unknown man would go through the trouble of locking doors in an abandoned building but she didn't have time to look into it any longer.

 

Without delay she walked to the next door, which was unlocked and lead her to the kitchen. After coming from rooms that obviously hadn’t been used for years and had already been taken over by insects, rats and dust, the sight of this room was unexpected to say the least.

 

The kitchen was bigger than one you would found in a house but smaller than one in a restaurant. All the appliances and counters were made of steel and the walls were covered with white tiles. Everything was so clean that Sooyoung could see her reflection even on the floor. It reminded her of a hospital more than anything else.

 

Since her left hand was pretty much useless she had no other choice but to put her gun on one of the counters and hope that the crazy guy wouldn’t appear out of nowhere while she was searching the room. It didn’t take her long to do it, there weren’t many places to search anyway.

 

Everything was empty. No food, no knives or spoons, nothing.

 

If the kitchen wasn’t used for cooking what was it used for?

 

Sooyoung felt a shudder down her spine. She picked up her gun and quickly returned to the cafeteria. One door left to check except from the main one. She opened it but the only thing behind it was a tiny room used to store mops and brooms. Nothing of interest there. Sooyoung would have closed the door and never thought about it again except the familiar smell of death clung to the room.

 

She moved out of the way to allow the light from the cafeteria to invade the small space. There were bloodstains all over the floor but not enough to explain the smell. A woman was probably hidden there after her death or near death.

 

Her hand squeezed the door knob so hard her knuckles got white.

 

Unforgivable. He has to pay.

 

She shut the door behind her and returned to the dark corridor that had led her there to begin with. She searched with her right hand to find the next door. This one was different. To open it you had to slide it to the right. Sooyoung was careful. She stood to the left side and gave the door a push to open it.

 

Immediately a pile of wooden boxes came crashing down on the floor. Sooyoung turned her back to the falling boxes and raised her hand to protect her head. When all the noise stopped she turned slowly to see that most of the boxes had broken and now their contents were spilled on the floor. She wasn’t surprised to see that they were filled with bullets. After all according to her report this factory used to produce weapons during the war - even though which war was never specified.

 

Sooyoung listened the silence that followed the crushing. If he was near then he certainly knew where to find her now.

 

A loud sound startled her as someone started banging the door right across from her. Could it be one of the victims? But what if the killer was setting her up again?

 

Seeing as the banging on the door didn’t stop and soon it was accompanied by desperate muffled cries Sooyoung had no other choice but to check what was going on.

 

She stood outside the door undecidedly for a moment examining it. It was made of wood which looked very easy to break after all the years it had stood in the exact same spot. The upper half of the door was covered in glass but it was too dirty to make out anything inside. Sooyoung could barely read the letters on the door.

 

Stuff lounge.

 

All the time she was standing there the banging and cries didn't stop at all but Sooyoung couldn't see anyone through the glass.

 

She took a step back and positioned her body as best as she could with all her wounds.

 

It's all about putting your weight on your hips, she thought and then swung her leg up while inclining her body a little to the opposite direction of the kick. Her leg landed a little to the left than where she was aiming but the door did break open as she jumped on one leg trying to keep her balance.

 

Sooyoung knew she was better than that. Her wounded hand wasn't enough of an excuse for such a lousy kick. She swallowed her hurt pride and moved closer to the room in front of her.

 

It was a very big room with grey walls - which must have been white once - and wooden floor. There were a couple of couches and many chairs that looked pretty uncomfortable to sit on. Small tables were scattered here and there and the glasses from a broken cup were still laying miserably on the floor. A floor lamp was shedding a dim light and made the shadows dance around her.

 

But it was empty.

 

Sooyoung looked confused around the room .She was sure she had heard somebody, somebody desperate but now only her breathing could be heard. She walked among the tables and chairs looking for evidence of a person being there but there were none.

 

This can’t be.

 

She turned towards the door half expecting to see the man standing there with an evil smirk on his face and a gun in his hand but she was alone.

 

I couldn’t have imagined that, I couldn’t have.

 

She felt her legs shaking. This place was going to drive her crazy.

 

She hurried towards the corridor again. She was almost at the door when the banging and the crying started again. Sooyoung turned slowly back. Her eyes searched every inch of the room but the noises seemed to come out of nowhere.

 

She took a few steps towards the wall at the other end of the room. Her heart was beating faster, almost as if it was counting down seconds. When she was close enough she put her hand on the wall feeling somebody hitting it from behind.

 

She moved her palm along the wall looking for anything that might resemble a door. But there was nothing.

 

"Hello?" Sooyoung asked in a low voice.

 

There was no answer. The banging and screaming continued but there was no evidence that the person behind this wall had heard her.

 

"Hello?" Sooyoung asked louder and this time banged the wall a couple of times herself.

 

If he hadn't found her after all that noise then something was wrong.

 

Then all the noises stopped. Sooyoung traced the wall with her fingers again.

 

"Can you hear me?" Sooyoung asked and after a sudden thought quickly added, "one knock for yes, two for no."

 

There was a long pause. Sooyoung held her breath. She was sure that there was not going to be an answer. This place ought to be hunted after all those murders.

 

But then a soft knock was heard. Just one.

 

Sooyoung rejoiced. "Are you trapped in there?"

 

One knock.

 

"Are you tied up?"

 

One knock.

 

Sooyoung squinted her eyes suspiciously. If that person was tied then how was she knocking the door?

 

Two knocks.

 

Sooyoung was puzzled. First yes and then no. What the hell did this mean?

 

She couldn't be sure this wasn't another trick. But she couldn't be sure this wasn't another victim. The decision wasn't so hard. She could defend herself with her gun but there was no  way she could leave a poor woman trapped in that room.

 

"Do you know how to get out?"

 

Two knocks.

 

Sooyoung exhaled loudly. There was no way she could knock this wall down like she had done with the door. But there was a person behind this wall so there had to be an entrance.

 

"Wait for a second okay?" she said and turned to face the room again. Sooyoung inspected the room once again quickly. She searched every inch on the wall and on the floor, every piece of furniture and even dragged the couch to search underneath it.

 

She was almost about to give up when a thought occurred to her. If she was right then the room next to this had to be the caffeteria. And the wall between them was the wall with the locked door.

 

Sooyoung rushed out of the room and back to the cafeteria. She approached the only door she hadn't managed to open and knocked on it a couple of times.

 

The same muffled noises she had heard in the stuff lounge were her answer. Sooyoung knew that what she was about to do was dangerous. All the noise would with no doubt echo in the whole building. But she couldn't leave that poor soul in there.

 

"Hey, can you hear me?" she asked, standing right in front of the door.

 

One knock.

 

"Get away from the door, okay?"

 

One knock.

 

Sooyoung waited a minute to give time to the woman to step away and then she pointed her gun at the lock. Her hand was trembling. She tried to keep the gun steady with her left hand but it didn't do much to help. She counted to three and fired.