KYUNGSOO'S BACKGROUND: "Dey are ma' heewing aids. Zo I can heew bedder."

Love Knows No Boundaries...
Please log in to read the full chapter

You are welcome to use the Guide (Chapter 2) for reference~

 

Park Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were born on different days but only a few minutes apart.  Baekhyun was born at 11:58PM and then Kyungsoo at 12:05AM.  As twins, they were the youngest of the five children, and the second set of twins in the family.  Taeyeon and Miyoung were the first set, and Jonghyun was the only one who did not have a twin.  They were 5 and 4 respectively when the babies were born.  The Park family had been at a family gathering, when the mother had a contraction and was rushed to the hospital.  The parents were surprised and became very worried because it was two months too early for their babies to be born.

The babies were taken to the Natal Intensive Care Unit and were placed in the incubators for a couple of weeks.  The mother was saddened that she could not hold her babies after she got out of labor.  However, the doctors allowed her and the family to visit the NICU and see their newborn twins, but they had to wear special uniforms to keep the NICU sanitized.  Any fabric material different from what the NICU provides would complicate the conditions of the premature newborns in the room.  After a month, the mother was finally able to hold her babies and she was so overjoyed that her twins had made it this far, given their premature births.  The family was really lucky to have another set of twins, and survivors nonetheless.

Few months later into the babies’ monthly checkups, the parents, along with the audiologist, noticed something was different about Kyungsoo.  Baekhyun had continued to pass his audiology tests, but Kyungsoo failed to pass most of the tests.  He was not responding to most sounds at all.  Worried, the audiologist checked the baby’s ears.  What she saw was what she had feared, and so she concluded to the parents that Kyungsoo might have suffered hearing loss from his premature birth.  Although not totally deaf, Kyungsoo still had severe to profound hearing loss.  He could still hear but most of the time, it would be garbled or inaudible to him.  The audiologist recommended that the parents taught him signs but considering his hearing condition, they could still teach him to speak.  It would only take a while for Kyungsoo to catch up with the other kids, in terms of age relativity with the speech capabilities.  She offered that they could purchase hearing aids for him to hear better, to make up for his hearing loss when he wears them.  The parents agreed wanting to help their child do anything and be anything he could without his hearing loss hindering him.

During his childhood, Kyungsoo wore hearing aids and often used home signs with his family.  The home signs were proven helpful to the family and Kyungsoo, because Kyungsoo was still not able to speak in sentences or with clear words and the family could not understand what Kyungsoo wanted to say.  Only Baekhyun could understand what Kyungsoo wanted to speak, maybe because of some kind of a telepathic connection between the twins.  

The Park family was a loving, affectionate family.  The older twin sisters were very caring for their younger boys.  Now that they had twin younger brothers, Taeyeon and Miyeon had a favorite brother to play with, with Miyeon choosing Kyungsoo and Taeyeon choosing Baekhyun.  Sometimes they switched it up but most of the times it was like that, as it had always been.  Jonghyun, being the oldest of the boys and the middle child between his two sets of twin siblings, took the chance to play with Kyungsoo and help him whenever he could.  He got protective of him whenever the family went out to visit places, or for walks around downtown or the malls, making sure Kyungsoo was holding his hand and keeping his brother in his sight.  It did not mean that Jonghyun ignored Baekhyun, because Jonghyun and Baekhyun were really close when it came to getting physical and rowdy at times despite their ages.  Jonghyun was very gentle with Kyungsoo, speaking loud and clear to his brother so Kyungsoo could understand, staring up at Jonghyun with his big wide eyes.

At school, Baekhyun would have Kyungsoo tag along with him.  He knew that his brother was different but he did not really care.  Like Jonghyun, he was protective of Kyungsoo, especially at school.  One time at their school, when it was time for recess, Baekhyun was hanging out with his newly made friends at the playground, and Kyungsoo had just came out of class, looking around with his big eyes as if judging everyone.  Baekhyun spotted his twin brother nearby and waved at his brother.   When he finally got Kyungsoo’s attention, he signed to him to come over and join him.  Kyungsoo hesitated at first but when he saw his brother’s genuine smile, he signed back with an “o-k” and came over.  Once Kyungsoo joined in, Baekhyun introduced him to his friends, spelling their names to him.   Kyungsoo copied his brother in understanding as he read his brother’s hand spelling and his lips pronouncing the names.  His friends were curious as to what Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were doing with their hands, and also as to what “those things” were in his ears.  Curious, they pointed at their own ears and asked him what these objects were.  Kyungsoo tried to explain, “Dey are ma’ heewing aids.  Zo I can heew bedder.” 

One of the friends asked, “What are “heewing aids”?  Bedder? You mean, better? Ohhh so if you don’t wear them, you won’t hear what we’re saying, right?”  Both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo nodded and Baekhyun explained that ‘heewing aids’ are “hearing aids”.  Unbeknownst to Baekhyun, Kyungsoo had blushed that he had not gotten the words as clear as he hoped to be.  He had speech therapy in school, often in his homeroom where the speech therapist would come once or twice a week to test and teach Kyungsoo on speech pronounciations and grammar.  He shyly looked down to the ground, often glancing at his brother.

“My brother is somewhat deaf, so please don’t make fun of him.  He can speak but he’s still learning.  He has speech therapy in school so he can learn how to speak.  Whether he wears his hearing aids to hear or not, I’m proud to be his brother anyway.”  Baekhyun looked at Kyungsoo and beamed at him, and Kyungsoo replied with a shy smile. 

When Baekhyun’s friends talked to him and Kyungsoo, Baekhyun noticed something was odd in their behaviors.  Kyungsoo was oblivious to their sarcasm and secret looks as he made awkward replies while looking at the ground, glancing at them occasionally.  They were even whispering crude imitations of his speech among themselves, when he was not looking.  Kyungsoo looked very unsure of himself.  Baekhyun caught the small mocking looks, and he wondered why he did not notice them before.  When he realized that his friends were teasing Kyungsoo behind his back, flailing their arms in mock gesture and overdoing their speech enunciations, he shot back at them with a warning yell and glowered at them.  Baekhyun growled at them, “If you think my brother is dumb, think again.” 

Kyungsoo got startled when his brother made a sudden move to stand in front of him, looking up at his brother’s back, and the guys’ expressions changed from mocking to “deer-in-the-headlights” looks.  Baekhyun continued, “Do me a favor, look at yourselves in the mirror and do

Please log in to read the full chapter