Final

Cherry Blossom

 

Did you know in most Korean B.A.P fanfics, Zelo's portrayed as much more dominant than the others? I think that's part of the reason I write Zelo like this.

Anyways. I hope you guys enjoy. And please, oh god PLEASE comment. I don't really mind if you don't subscribe or love me ( but if you do thank you ) but let me know how I'm doing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAEHYUN POV:

I looked over at him from above my textbook, peering out from under my lashes across the row of empty desks between us. The morning sunlight streamed in gently through the windows, weaving through his gold hair until they were strands of light themselves. He stretched, his long arms stretching above his halo then turned to look at me.

He smiled.

Startled, I quickly dropped my gaze to my book, feeling hot and cold. I counted to ten and looked back up cautiously. I watched him walk out of the room, catching a glimpse of his profile before reverting my stare once more.

He was here, every morning, an hour before class started, just as I was. Every morning it was just us two, a ritual that’s been continuing for six months. I wondered why he came to school so early. I knew for a fact it wasn’t to study, he had no interest in academics like I did. But every morning he was here, sitting in the fourth desk from the front, and would greet me with a smile and a ‘hello’ as I walked to my own. I would muster a small ‘hi’ and nearly jog to my seat, my eyes glued to the floor. If I looked at him, I knew I would confess.

I allowed myself quick glances at him, just once when I felt my heart would shrivel and heave out. Despite it, I had his face memorized.

His eyebrows, arched in a manner that made him appear both playful and curious.

His eyes, brown with the sunlight, black without, framed with thick lashes underneath thin double eyelids.

His nose, rounded and small with soft curves.

His lips... his lips…

 

JUNHONG POV:
He came. Just as every morning, his uniform washed and pressed, chocolate brown fringe brushed neatly above his eyebrows, glasses perched on his nose and eyes casted down to his desk. He was so quiet I was always afraid he had left, so I turned around once in awhile to make sure. Sometimes I’d catch his eyes and he’d turn abruptly away. I couldn’t bring myself to say more than ‘hello’ to him. He seemed so… fragile, scared even. I knew I didn’t have the best reputation in school, but to think I frightened him had my stomach turning. Sometimes I left the room, stood outside the door, making promises I’d be better, to be good enough for him.

 

DAEHYUN POV:
“I’m home,” I said.

“Good day today?” my mother asked. I nodded and smiled. She smiled back and pushed back the fringe out of my eyes.

“You know, today’s the last day sunny day before rain season,” she mentioned as she poured me a glass of juice. I nodded.

“Yes.”

“The cherry blossoms would look just lovely today.”

“I think so too.”

I heard her sigh under her breath but pretended not to hear. She turned to me and my cheek.

“Perhaps you should go see it honey.”

“…With who?”

“With that boy you’ve mentioned.”

I shook my head. I was a boy too. It wasn’t okay for two boys to go see cherry blossoms.

“I can’t,” I said. She sighed, this time outright. I hung my head a little, feeling sorry. I wanted to be a good son.

“Daehyun-ah, it’s important to make friends. I’d rather you see the world and enjoy life instead of hiding…”

I glanced away, feeling tears push back at my eyes.

“I can’t,” I repeated softly, my voice shaking. She was silent and I was scared to look at her, so scared to disappoint her again. Only when she my cheek again did I look up.

“Well, maybe you and I should go see it, just like when your father was around,” she said smiling sadly. I nodded and went to my bedroom to change, a lump in my throat.

 

JUNHONG POV:
“Hey Junhong-ah! Today’s the last day to go see the cherry blossoms… do you maybe wanna come with me?” she asked. Her friends all looked at me expectantly, eyes bright and hands on my sleeves and shirt. I smiled weakly, gently pulling myself away from the mob.

“I’m sorry, I have to get home,” I apologized. They hung on.

“Please? I promise it’ll only be for a couple hours!” she pleaded. I held in a sigh.

“It really is something important. I’m really sorry. I promise next year…”

“Next year? But I wanna see them this year. With you.”

I looked at the clock, forty past three. I was going to be late. Apologizing again, I pushed my self out from the circle and broke into a jog. I could hear the annoyed mutters of the girls behind me.

 

“I-I’m home,” I said. My father looked up from his beer then slapped me across the face.

“You’re late,” he muttered, gripping my collars. I took short breaths, hating the scent of alcohol reeking from his breath. My cheek stung harshly from his thrash.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized, wishing he’d let go. He shook me roughly.

“Where were you?”

“At school, I got held up.”

“Where’s my beer?” he asked gruffly, tossing me off to the side. I steadied myself against the wall.

“Y-you didn’t leave me any money this morning… s-so I thought—“

His empty bottle smashed beside my head, glass fragments shattering off the wall and cutting me. I wiped the blood with my sleeve. He came near me and I flinched. I shouldn’t have flinched. He smirked and grabbed my neck, his thick fingers wrapping around the top of my throat, tightening.

“D-dad!” I choked out, clawing uselessly against him. He continued smiling, watching my face turn white, red, purple. The world faded in and out of my vision, bright spots looming then fading into darkness.

“Dad…” I tried again, my voice barely a sound. This time he let go and I fell to the floor. Air rushed into my lungs but my vision continued to dim. I hear him mutter before I passed out.

“Good riddance.”

 

DAEHYUN POV:

The street was lined with cherry blossom trees, tall and arching to make a pink velvet roof over top our heads. Bright blue sky peeked out from between the branches. Teardrop petals fell like rain, brushing past my arms, my face, my lips. I stood there as couples, friends, families passed by me.

“Daehyun-ah, I’m just going to use the restroom for a while okay?” my mother asked. I nodded and watched her walk off. I sat on the bench underneath a particularly pink tree. I wondered why the shade of pink was so familiar.

“Pink…” I murmured to myself. A blossom fell into my lap, not just the petal but the entire flower itself, intact and trembling. I smiled and brushed my fingers over the pink petals, smooth and soft under my fingertips. I continued it, over and over again until my fingers moved on their own, memorizing the texture. I continued staring at it, mesmerized by its peculiar color. I glanced up to see a tall lanky boy walk by with his friends. He caught my gaze and smiled at me before passing.

Then I remembered.

 

JUNHONG POV:
I wore a scarf around my neck, fortunate it was chilly enough to appear reasonable, hiding the bruised hand prints on my neck. Sitting down in my seat, I sighed in relief. School was the only piece of sanity in my life. I watched the clock, calculating Daehyun would walk in sometime in the next minute. I smiled just at the thought of his timid greeting.

It hadn’t started off like this. I had come to school early in the morning before my father woke up to avoid another beating. Daehyun had always been there, never saying anything. But somehow mornings were just… so much peaceful and so much less painful with his presence. With a e mother who abandoned her son with his alcoholic father, I had a bitter disposition towards mankind in general. But for the first time in years, I wanted to approach someone, Daehyun. For the first time, I wanted to feel the warmth of someone else against mine, hear someone say my name. But it was Daehyun. To me he was a glass figurine and my roughness was sure to break him. I wasn’t good enough and I knew that. So I promised my self I’d change, I promised but each day it was so difficult. Each day was so painful I could barely get up, but I tried, I was always trying.

“J-Junhong…”

Startled, I looked up. Daehyun? He was standing in front of my desk, hands folded, looking… determined?

“H-hey Daehyun-ah,” I stuttered. His lips were pressed into a thin line, eyes set on mine. It was the first time he had kept my gaze, the first time he’d said my name.

I watched him as he reached into his coat pocket and hold something delicately in his palm. He looked at my hand expectantly, silent. Hesitantly, I put out my hand and waited. He unfolded his hand and placed something soft on my open hand.

A pink cherry blossom. 

A note, written in perfect cursive rested beneath it.

Your lips.

I read it, unable to understand.

Then he took me by surprise and pressed his lips against mine.